Wickmayer plays too many tourneys - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 18th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #1
gopher

gopher is just really nice gopher is just really nice gopher is just really nice gopher is just really nice gopher is just really nice gopher is just really nice gopher is just really nice gopher is just really nice gopher is just really nice gopher is just really nice gopher is just really nice
Wickmayer plays too many tourneys

I mean her schedule is infernal, on grass Nottingham, Birmingham, Ordina & soon Wimbledon, just after finishing an incredibly intense
gravel section.

Cant be good for her, she is trying to compensate a lack of talent by stretching her limits.
gopher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 18th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #2
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wickmayer plays too many tourneys

If she wasn't talented, she wouldn't have made the top 100 because she wouldn't win any matches - but I agree, she does play too much and her schedule is overloaded. I mean why on earth did she sign up for a $25k in the first week of Wimbledon? She's not seriously even considering playing a $25k instead of Wimby...besides if she did she'd get 0 rankings points because she is in the MD of Wimby and so it's mandatory.

She & Him @ Melkweg "The Max", Amsterdam 6th May 2010
DutchieGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #3
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future

She played 15 thus far this year which is impressive. However, there are many where she didn't go far in the draw.
For someone 'untalented' she's not doing too bad, IMO.
Maybe the 3 grass-events in a row right before Wimbly is, indeed, too much, though.
Anyway I wouldn't worry too much. Players in her position have little choice but try to accumulate ranking points to keep going in the main tour, otherwise they can find themselves in a complicated financial position.
Sharapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #4
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, at the start of the year she wasn't playing so well, but she's been playing alot lately, and doubles this week too- she's in the semis now.

Old Jun 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Deck

Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future

it's alone her decision how much and where she wants to play
Deck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #6
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
it's alone her decision how much and where she wants to play
So people aren't allowed to be concerned that she may burn out or get injured?

Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #7
country flag Elwin.
-

Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute Elwin. has a reputation beyond repute

Nina is really fit. She can handle it but i agree: she has to play less tournaments cause it's going to break her apart soon

She really shouldn't play itf's anymore. She definetly can handle the wta level
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #8
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharapower View Post
otherwise they can find themselves in a complicated financial position.

Well she has had to take 2 rather unnecessary flights by playing Birmingham and Ordina. So money mustn't be a major issue for her.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #9
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
Well she has had to take 2 rather unnecessary flights by playing Birmingham and Ordina. So money mustn't be a major issue for her.
That's not really a good example though - it's like a 1 hour flight from England to NL. It's not gonna cost her THAT much.

Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Deck

Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future Deck has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchieGirl View Post
So people aren't allowed to be concerned that she may burn out or get injured?
exactly, because there's no way people know better than herself how much she can take
Deck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #11
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StunnaShades View Post
Nina is really fit. She can handle it but i agree: she has to play less tournaments cause it's going to break her apart soon

She really shouldn't play itf's anymore. She definetly can handle the wta level
If Wickmayer plays a schedule built around upper tier ("Premier") WTA events, she'll be crashing out first or second round most of the time, and it's very difficult to keep some kind of form when you're losing so often and not getting to play that many matches, not to mention how damaging it must be to one's confidence. Vesnina did that for years (had negative W/L records in several seasons, yet still kept her ranking hovering around #50-65), but she's an exception.
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #12
country flag Shanna

Shanna is a name known to all Shanna is a name known to all Shanna is a name known to all Shanna is a name known to all Shanna is a name known to all Shanna is a name known to all Shanna is a name known to all Shanna is a name known to all Shanna is a name known to all Shanna is a name known to all Shanna is a name known to all

Maybe it is a bit much lately, but I think after Wimbledon, she will take a break, or at least play less tournaments.

Tamaryn Hendler
Yanina Wickmayer
Ana Ivanovic

*Venus*Daniela*Tatiana*Flavia*
Shanna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #13
country flag The Crow
The hottest straight, goth rocker on the board
Admin Emeritus

The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, she should skip itf tournaments. She doesn't have to play all high tier wta events, mix it a little bit with low tier ones and take enough rest now and then.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #14
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
That's not really the point. She's ranked 70 currently, that allows her direct entry to some WTA tournaments (that pay a lot more than ITF's). Would she drop out of the top 100 (which can happen quite fast when you're ranked "only" 70), it would be a big loss of income.
Sharapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #15
country flag Svennovitch

Svennovitch has a brilliant future Svennovitch has a brilliant future Svennovitch has a brilliant future Svennovitch has a brilliant future Svennovitch has a brilliant future Svennovitch has a brilliant future Svennovitch has a brilliant future Svennovitch has a brilliant future Svennovitch has a brilliant future Svennovitch has a brilliant future Svennovitch has a brilliant future

It's thanks to the itf's she is playing again at a decent level. At the beginning of the year she lost her confidence and built it back from itf-level.

In the first week of grass season there aren't any grass tournaments, so if she wanted to play, she had to play Nothingham.

She just needs a lot of matches to play confidently.
Svennovitch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote