Can someone give me a hand in choosing my new racquet? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #1
country flag toxina90

toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute
Can someone give me a hand in choosing my new racquet?

I have no idea what the advantages/disadvantages of the dimensions are. I've always used a cheap racquet and tried my best with that, its about time I had a decent one.

What is better if the head is smaller/bigger? The grip longer/shorter? I think based on my style I would prefer the longest grip possible. I don't have a huge serve, have a quite consistent forehand, but prefer my backhand the best. I usually play with spin aswell.

This is the racquet I fancy at the moment:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Orde...ml?PCODE=IS3HM

can someone please help me with the dimensions table? eg:
Yonex RDiS 300 Mid+ (1/8) 2
Yonex RDiS 300 Mid+ (1/4) 4
Yonex RDiS 300 Mid+ (3/8) 4+
Yonex RDiS 300 Mid+ (1/2) 4
Yonex RDiS 300 Mid+ (5/8) 2

I don't know what the bracket figures mean

Also if you have any other recommendations, if you think there is a better racquet for my style I briefly detailed above, they would definetly be welcome!

Cheers!

Zakopalova~Dulko~Paszek~Pironkova~Clijsters~Golovi n~K.Bondarenko~Bouchard~Tsurenko

Schiavone~Li~Petkovic~Perebiynis~Mirza~Morigami~Fe dak~Wickmayer~Peer
toxina90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone give me a hand in choosing my new racquet?

The only advice I can give you is the same advice I give everyone. Find a way to playtest the rackets you're considering. I'd also recommend that, unless you've played Yonex in the past and have had good results with them, you might look at some other brands.

I'm very loyal to Prince, mostly because I personally can't hit the broadside of a barn door with a Yonex, a Head, or a Babolat. I can do okay with Wilsons, but I really like Prince.

My best friend/doubles partner is as loyal to his Yonex as I am to my Shark. And my kid fired Djokovic as his favorite player for giving up his Wilson. That's how loyal his is to his n series (My kid, not Nola).

I know TW will let you playtest. If that's too complicated, you can usually arrange playtesting at a local court or with a pro though you'll have to pay a fee. It's worth it though, if you consider what you're going to shell out for a racket that you may have to play with for years.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, my guess is the numbers in parentheses are the grip sizes, ranging from 4 1/8 (kid or small female hand) to 4 5/8, which would be a pretty good-size guy. Also, some big servers like a slightly smaller grip. I went from a 4 5/8 down to a 4 1/2 with I overwrapped to about a 4 9/16 and suddenly my aging arm was hitting serves like I was 30 again.

Hey, technology only takes you so far.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #4
country flag toxina90

toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute

Alright - thanks! I think I will gamble after a bit more browsing, the racquet analysis I think sound reliable - to be honest anything would be better than my current Prince racquet, which I've had since Christmas and I still can't control my shots consistently

Zakopalova~Dulko~Paszek~Pironkova~Clijsters~Golovi n~K.Bondarenko~Bouchard~Tsurenko

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #5
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely demo several racquets when you narrow it down to some you think you may be interested in. There's no substitute for playing with a racquet to decide if it works for your game. I'm no expert at it, but the things I look for are swing weight (the 'feel' of the racquet going through the air) and overall STRUNG racquet weight. I had the same shoulder surgery Sharapova had and one of the hardest things I did afterward was find the right racquet for me. I had played with Head racquets for years but when I went to start playing again, the racquet felt heavy and sluggish through the air, and I had considerable pain while playing. I tried one of the Prince speedport whites and it was like magic. I couldn't believe how maneuverable it was through the air. Now I couldn't imagine playing with anything else. I bought a second frame just to have in case they stop making them.

Bear in mind, lighter racquets don't generate as much power. Smaller heads are better for control but larger ones are better for power. Open string patterns will generate more power and less control. Some racquets are stiffer than others--this gives a different "feel" when hitting groundies/serves/volleys. The bottom line is that you need to find the racquet that best works for your playing style and swing style. You might want to go to a pro shop and work with someone there in trying to narrow down your choices.

Good luck!

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'

Last edited by Kipling : Jun 16th, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #6
country flag Keegan

Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get one that's too heavy in the head. If you hit a lasso forehand, the momentum can damage your shoulder.
Wimbledon 2004
US Open 2006
Olympic Silver
Victoria Azarenka | Petra Kvitova | Angelique Kerber | Caroline Wozniacki | Serena Williams | Heather Watson | Eugenie Bouchard
Keegan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #7
country flag Cakeisgood

Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute

btw the racket you've chosen is awesome. I lurve it (I have the older version).

In love with Martha.
Cakeisgood is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #8
country flag toxina90

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Mimi View Post
Definitely demo several racquets when you narrow it down to some you think you may be interested in. There's no substitute for playing with a racquet to decide if it works for your game. I'm no expert at it, but the things I look for are swing weight (the 'feel' of the racquet going through the air) and overall STRUNG racquet weight. I had the same shoulder surgery Sharapova had and one of the hardest things I did afterward was find the right racquet for me. I had played with Head racquets for years but when I went to start playing again, the racquet felt heavy and sluggish through the air, and I had considerable pain while playing. I tried one of the Prince speedport whites and it was like magic. I couldn't believe how maneuverable it was through the air. Now I couldn't imagine playing with anything else. I bought a second frame just to have in case they stop making them.

Bear in mind, lighter racquets don't generate as much power. Smaller heads are better for control but larger ones are better for power. Open string patterns will generate more power and less control. Some racquets are stiffer than others--this gives a different "feel" when hitting groundies/serves/volleys. The bottom line is that you need to find the racquet that best works for your playing style and swing style. You might want to go to a pro shop and work with someone there in trying to narrow down your choices.

Good luck!
OK I'm starting to narrow it down now. I definetly think I would prefer the smaller head, because with my Prince racket now, although I sometimes get some nice shots my error count is just too high, and it doesn't compliment my serve (I am not a big server, and sometimes serve double faults I think more often than I should) so I would definetly prefer the racquet with more control. I wonder if trying to explain my style would help you and others recommend because I'm sure you have lots of experience.

I think the best way is to say it how my brother has described me playing. He says my backhand is like Venus (I do often prepare in a similar way she does) and my forehand is like Sharapova although I do sometimes loop it around like she does (sometimes I can't halp it ) I would definetly now describe my forehand as pretty similar to the motion of Zheng Jie.
One player I often face adores my backhand, I would like to but can't hit it straight up the line all the time, so I normally go for a crosscourt which has become a favourite shot which apparently creates "lovely angles" and I'm pretty sure the motion is a more fluid, longer swing than the Venus one I use in quicker rallies I hope you aren't too confused..also definetly I sometimes go for the forehand like Zvonareva like a smooth, full rotation with the arm.

Part of my asking about the racquets is because I am happy with the aspects of my game, I just need a decent one to help me serve consistently and more importantly, rally consistently and not creating errors (I know this may sound stupid) which are more to do with the racquet than me.

I needed to consider this because the other day I played my first competitive match (albeit in the handicap draw to see how I could do). We had to wait for ages because of rain delay and we only got on court cos my opponent was a member, and the spare court we used was acutally booked but there was nobody in sight. I was a bit concerned about being distracted by the person who booked it half way through, but my opponent who was alot bigger and about 7 years older assured me "Don't worry, if he comes I will do him in" which I found funny cos he is originally from France and it sounded odd at the time becuase it was mixed French/my local accent

Anyway we get on court (nearly 2 hours after we were supposed to) and I am not phased at all by the surroundings or anything (which I surprised myself) and I was very comfortable in the warm up (surprising myself again with some lovely shots) and I was using my really cheap Dunlop racquet with loose soft strings (I actually play better with it) and it took me a while to get used to his huge serve (although I did hit some great returns) then we started and the format was every 2 games (everytime I served as it turned out) I would have the 15 point head start as a result of the handicap. He serves 1st and I struggle with the timing, and when I did get a hit it bounced off the court or right infront of me (cos of the strings possibly). Then its my turn to serve and I get broken but don't panic or anything. I get gradually better and hit some nice shots but end up losing the 1st set 6-0. At this point I thought right I should try my Prince racquet which has better strings, see if I can get some returns in. I managed to hit some nice winners to save break points, and a good serve and was ahead in a few games but couldn't get much on the serve and ended up losing 6-0 again so at the end, I wasn't really that disappointed because I know I didn't play badly (I wasn't expecting much for my 1st time) and only hit 2 double faults (which is low for me )

I give full credit to him because he played well and is a really nice guy. I was just so disappointed for not winning 1 game despite the handicap, and felt a bit when telling my family. I could point out that he warmed up for at least 1 hour beforehand whilst I was enjoying other matches and exploring the club which was all new to me. My grandad said I must have been nervous but I really wasn't too bad! I also didn't lose my temper at all. I think what is mainly to blame is my inconsistency, which isn't helped by the racquets I used.

I didn't pay attention at the time but realised afterwards I had subconsciously panicked during the 2nd set. At one net point I almost had him but he got it back to my forehand and I fell and grazed my knee. He asked if I was okay and I said so because I was. I didn't realise the damage till after the match (today I can't bend my knee properly, and there is blood stains etc on my bedsheets but what really triggered the panic was I noticed during a rally, even with my newer Prince racquet, he was getting deeper shots (mine were embarrassingly short sometimes) even though I was hitting quite cleanly, and it sounded like he was getting better connection. But as I said I didn't think much about it at the time.

Having said all that I hope you haven't fallen asleep and that you all find my experience interesting and I would welcome any advice or observations. As I said to my opponent after "I actually enjoyed it y'know" because it was new and I loved being on the court competing and liked watching other experienced players of all ages playing around in the club atmosphere. I could ofcourse do with a coach (but I am comfortable with my style to be honest) for improvement, but I think for the moment I need to secure a decent racquet which will surely help me on the road to a consistent game.

Did Ana Ivanovic lose her 1st match 6-0 6-0 as a kid or something?

Thanks for reading and I hope you can relate to some of things I experienced. I didn't know I was going to mention my match at the start of the reply, sorry!

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #9
country flag toxina90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keggz View Post
Don't get one that's too heavy in the head. If you hit a lasso forehand, the momentum can damage your shoulder.
I sometimes do the lasso, thanks for pointing that out!

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #10
country flag toxina90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeisgood View Post
btw the racket you've chosen is awesome. I lurve it (I have the older version).
Cheers I really like the look of it and think it would suit my game. I also looked at the description of:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...CE-SP03PW.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...INCE-PO3W.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...INCE-POZ7.html

I like the sound of them all, not only because I think their descriptions suit aspects of my game, they are also used my favs, superficial ofcourse but I'm sure other people would like to use the similar racquet to their favs

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #11
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxina90 View Post
Cheers I really like the look of it and think it would suit my game. I also looked at the description of:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...CE-SP03PW.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...INCE-PO3W.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...INCE-POZ7.html

I like the sound of them all, not only because I think their descriptions suit aspects of my game, they are also used my favs, superficial ofcourse but I'm sure other people would like to use the similar racquet to their favs
Probably true.

I use the Prince O3 Speedport White, but not the "pro" version. It's a little heavier, whhich might or might not suit your particular game. What I liked about the O3 SP White is 1) the weight; 2) the response through the air, and 3) the control. I swear, there are some days I feel like I just can't miss a shot with that racquet.

Definitely listen to as much advice as you can stand to listen to, but make sure you playtest, because the last thing you want to do is spend a couple hundred bucks on a racquet you aren't going to be happy with. I've got one of those I use as a doorjam....

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #12
country flag toxina90

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Mimi View Post
Probably true.

I use the Prince O3 Speedport White, but not the "pro" version. It's a little heavier, whhich might or might not suit your particular game. What I liked about the O3 SP White is 1) the weight; 2) the response through the air, and 3) the control. I swear, there are some days I feel like I just can't miss a shot with that racquet.

Definitely listen to as much advice as you can stand to listen to, but make sure you playtest, because the last thing you want to do is spend a couple hundred bucks on a racquet you aren't going to be happy with. I've got one of those I use as a doorjam....

Okay thanks, but I think out of any of the ones I listed, they would suit me quite well, ofcourse I will test if I get the opportunity. Oh really? I have a problem with my bedroom door, you can send that racquet to me so I can put it to use when you're finished

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #13
country flag toxina90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryem View Post
For some reason i really love reading about people's experiences playing tennis... Anyway i know next to nothing about choosing rackets except that hitting a powerful two handed backhand is a lot easier with a heavier racket, atleast for me. My old racket was really heavy and i could do anything with the backhand but my forehand suffered because my right arm would become tired and actually ache! Now i have a lighter Head racket and my forehand is better but the backhand is a hot mess.
Oh and sorry about the 6060 loss. I've never played competetively- but as long as you had fun who cares? A lot of people wish just to have to opportunity to run and jump and play in the sun + it cant get any worse !
Thanks yeah I think a slightly heavier one would aid my timing and groundstrokes. I am pretty desperate for one of those racquets though, I can't help thinking after months now, it isn't worth trying to get "used to" my current one any more!

http://www.tennispro.fr/p5068/magasi...prince-03.html

Yeah I had fun, and it helped that my opponent was extremely friendly and supportive. Its okay though, even being double bagelled is an experience. I enjoyed my whole evening, although the result wouldn't suggest that I just hope my friends don't find the draw/results online

Cheers

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #14
country flag Keegan

Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxina90 View Post
I sometimes do the lasso, thanks for pointing that out!
I almost always hit the lasso, and I recently got the Wilson Nano Tour 7, which is a lot heavier than my last one and is a lot heavier in the head compared to my last one and it's just completely wrecked my shoulder.
Wimbledon 2004
US Open 2006
Olympic Silver
Victoria Azarenka | Petra Kvitova | Angelique Kerber | Caroline Wozniacki | Serena Williams | Heather Watson | Eugenie Bouchard
Keegan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM   #15
country flag mojoo999

mojoo999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pick out a few that appeal to you, then demo them.