Whitney Houston: One Year Anniversary of her passing - Page 41 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 13th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #601
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Official Whitney Houston Thread: Tribute to a Legend!

From one of Whitney's closes childhood friends, business partner, and long time confidant.

From Robyn Crawford

I met her when she was 16. It was at a summer job. I was working at a community center in East Orange, New Jersey, and she was working just like the rest of us. She was there to work. She introduced herself as "Whitney Elizabeth Houston," and I knew right away she was special. Not a lot of people introduced themselves with their middle names back then. She had peachy colored skin and she didn't look like anyone I'd ever met in East Orange, New Jersey.

She was nothing like the Whitney Houston she became but at the same time she was already there. She knew, and so did everyone around her. She was doing shows in Manhattan with her mother, and she'd change her clothes in the car and get on stage and do her thing. She hadn't signed her contract yet. But she was modeling for Wilhelmina because she was discovered on the street. She was walking in front of Carnegie Hall and someone walked up to her and said, "There's a modeling agency upstairs that's looking for someone just like you." She walked upstairs and they signed her. That's what it was like, that's what she gave off. She looked like an angel. When my mother first met her, she laughed and said, "You look like an angel, but I know you're not." And she wasn't. But she looked like one.

She chose the life she lived, and she chose it from the beginning. She knew the life better than anyone. Her mother was Cissy Houston, and she had been on the road with Dionne Warwick. She got her chops singing in church, and her mother said to her, "You know, you can always sing for free. You can always sing in church. You don't have to choose the professional life." But she chose because she'd been chosen. Some people sing just because. She was never like that. She had to put on her gear. She knew it was going to be a job and that's how she treated it. Once she committed to something, she finished it. Not long after I met her, she said, "Stick with me, and I'll take you around the world." She always knew where she was headed.

And we went around the world. I was her assistant and then her executive assistant and then her creative director. I was her point person for the day-to-day. I traveled all around the world first-class and anyone who ever worked for her will tell you her checks never bounced. You knew she was going to take care of you. She wasn't going to be in a five-star hotel while you were in a two. I flew the Concorde the way some people ride the bus. She shared the fruits, and she changed a lot of lives. The record company, the band members, her family, her friends, me — she fed everybody. Deep down inside that's what made her tired.

It was never easy. She never left anything undone. But it was hard. The Bodyguard was great when it was done, but it was a lot of work. She did the movie, she did the music, she did everything — and when she was done, she was done. She nailed it. The music supervisor brought her Linda Ronstadt's version of "I Will Always Love You" way before Kevin Costner brought Dolly Parton's version — and she always knew what she could do with it. So when Kevin came in and played it for her and told her he wanted her to sing it for the movie, she said, "Fine." She wasn't much for showing off what she had, except when she had to.

I always compare her performance of that song with a great athlete hitting his peak — with Michael Jordan in the playoffs. It was the absolute pinnacle of what she could do, of what anyone could do — and then she had to keep on doing it. Everybody wanted to hear her sing that song, and so she sang it. It didn't matter whether she had a cold, or wasn't in good voice; she had to deliver it, and she had it arranged so she could deliver every last note. And even if the note wasn't there, the feeling was. A lot of her songs were like that. They were a lot to deliver, but she delivered them every note, every time.

It's so strange that she died when she did. February was her month. Her first album was released on Valentine's Day, right around the time of the Grammys, right around the time of Clive Davis's party. It was an orchestrated thing. She was Clive's girl, his great discovery. And she died right before Valentine's Day, right before the Grammys, right before Clive's party. Of course, she was going. I don't know if she was singing, I don't know what kind of pressure she was putting on herself. But she was going, that's for damned sure.

People thought they had to protect her. She hated that. And that's what people don't understand: She was always the one doing the driving. Someone just called and told me that the family kept Whitney from seeing her. Nobody kept Whitney from doing anything. She did what she wanted to do. When people left her or were told to leave, they could never believe that Whitney would never call them — but she never did. She was working hard to keep herself together, and I think she felt that if she admitted any feeling of sadness or weakness she would crumble. One time, back when we were young, we were out, we were partying, and I said, "Listen, I have to go. I'm tired. I can't make it." And she looked at me with her eyes wide and said, "I've got to make it."

And that was Whitney. She could not pick up the phone, and that meant it was too painful. I have never spoken about her until now. And she knew I wouldn't. She was a loyal friend, and she knew I was never going to be disloyal to her. I was never going to betray her. Now I can't believe that I'm never going to hug her or hear her laughter again. I loved her laughter, and that's what I miss most, that's what I miss already.

I'm trying not to think of the end. I'm trying not to listen to all the reports. All these people talking about drugs — well, a lot of people take drugs, and they're still around. Whitney isn't, because you never know the way the wind blows. I just hope that she wasn't in pain and that she hadn't lost hope. She gave so much to so many people; I hope that she felt loved in return. She was the action, for such a long time. She's out of the action now. I hope she can finally rest.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 13th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #602
Imperfect Angel

Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute Imperfect Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDokic! View Post
Has it been confirmed what caused her death?
Need weeks for toxicology.
Imperfect Angel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #603
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say that I've ever been as big a fan as most of you guys, although I've always enjoyed most of her debut album and some other songs here and there. But I was nevertheless moved when I heard the news of her death and I've been youtubing around a bit, looking at concert stuff and such and I must say that she was an incredible performer. Regardless of whether one is a fan of her music or not - regardless of if one is a rocker, a popper, a jazzer, a classicer or a whateverer - every honest man, woman or child must admit that this lady was one of the best at what she did. Probably THE best at what she did in fact.

I found even the later performances I've seen quite moving because of the "is she going to make it or not" factor when she went for those high notes that she in her prime sung so effortlessly. You could feel the love of her fans and the fact that they rooted for her to make it and the sense of celebration whenever she did herself justice and recaptured some of the old magic.

RIP Whitney, and commiserations to her fans.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #604
country flag Renalicious
Queen Cockroach

Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute

This is my own little tribute to The Voice.

I hope you did you some sort of justice Whit. Goodbye and RIP.

PS: A lot better with headphones, read the description.
makarova, diatchenko, keys, goerges and kvitova

My Youtube Channel
Renalicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #605
country flag Maria rocks

Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of

RIP Whitney. Its so sad i can't believe it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m46nv...yer_detailpage
Maria rocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #606
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

From a great 1994 concert in Rio/Brazil. The complete concert is on youtube. I really enoy this - it's 'peak Whitney' as far as I'm concerned....

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #607
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

As I drove to and from Midland yesterday (4 hours on the road total), I must've heard 20 Whitney songs on the radio. So eerie and poignant. RIP Whitney.

Super Dave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #608
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, I even made this Sam Stosur slideshow 3 years ago with a Whitney song

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #609
country flag Shuji Shuriken
Team WTAworld

Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where to begin. Devastated. RIP Whitney. Warm thoughts to her mother and daughter. So hurt by this.

Brandysan's Keeper

l[l

Venussan #1 Fan
Serenasan Warrior Princess

http://www.myspace.com/keimodarkheart
Shuji Shuriken is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #610
country flag Shuji Shuriken
Team WTAworld

Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute

On Brandy's birthday at that, just when she was supposed to appear on stage with Brandy and Monica. I fucking can't. And she was planning a surprise birthday party for Brandy. Whit WHY?

Brandysan's Keeper

l[l

Venussan #1 Fan
Serenasan Warrior Princess

http://www.myspace.com/keimodarkheart
Shuji Shuriken is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #611
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

Hollywood reacts:

Smokey Robinson: "I've know Whitney since she was a little girl and I loved her. She was like family to me. I will miss her."

Aretha Franklin: "I just can’t talk about it now. It’s so stunning and unbelievable. I couldn’t believe what I was reading coming across the TV screen. My heart goes out to Cissy, her daughter Bobbi Kris, her family and Bobby.”

Lionel Ritchie: "I'm absolutely devastated ... she had that voice that could just turn a story, a melody into magical, magical notes."

Mariah Carey: "Heartbroken and in tears over the shocking death of my friend, the incomparable Ms. Whitney Houston."

Christina Aguilera: "We have lost another legend. Love and prayers to Whitney's family. She will be missed."

Dolly Parton: "Mine is only one of the millions of hearts broken over the death of Whitney Houston. I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song and I can truly say from the bottom of my heart, 'Whitney, I will always love you. You will be missed.'"

Diana Ross: "Im Being Honored Tomorrow @ Grammy's And it Just Don't Feel Right - Diana"

Alicia Keys: "I feel sick.... Life is precious, we are fragile souls. Let's love each other! I miss you beautiful Whitney, the whole world misses you!!"

Will.i.am: "I'm so sad...whitney houston was so kind, sweet, wonderful, amazing, talented, and a true gift to the world."

Ricky Martin: "RIP Whitney Houston. Sending my love and deepest condolences to her family and friends. Fly Whitney Fly"

Nicki Minaj: "Jesus Christ, not Whitney Houston. Greatest of all time."

Cee Lo Green: "R.I.P. Sister WHITNEY HOUSTON!!!!! We will always love you."

Neil Patrick Harris: "Such sad news about Whitney Houston. She was a legend, but what a life..! My thoughts and prayers go out to her family."

Bruno Mars: "I hate this feeling"

Adam Levine: "Tomorrow night at the Grammys, the only person on our minds will be Whitney Houston."

Lady Antebellum:* "We are so heartbroken to hear of the loss of Whitney Houston. One of the best voices EVER! Praying God's comfort for her family. ~hill"

Marc Anthony: "I can't believe it...Rest in Peace Whitney...Descanses"

Simon Cowell: "I am so sad to hear about Whitney. We have lost one of the greatest singers of all time."

Deborah Cox: "I am deeply saddened and touched to the core of this news of my musical mentor Whitney Houston. I'll always love you. xo"

Diane Warren: "There are no words"

Lea Michele: "I'm speechless. Such sad news about Whitney Houston.."

Blair Underwood: "My heart is heavy for all of us who knew and loved Whitney."

Salman Rushdie: "Thank you, Whitney."

Star Jones: "I can't watch anymore news. It's too painful when a sister-friend passes; don't want analysis...want reflection. RIP #Whitney"

Magic Johnson: "R.I.P. Whitney Houston. Our prayers go out to Bobbi Kristina and her family."

Newark, New Jersey Mayor Cory Booker: "A legend has died. As the world mourns the loss of one of the all-time greats, we in Newark feel an especially deep sadness. She went from a Newark church to the global stage, but she always remained a deep part of our pride and collective heart. She will be missed. Our prayers are with her family."

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie: "Whitney Houston was a true New Jersey treasure. Her terribly premature death is an awful loss for her family and the incredible New Jersey musical family. Her soaring talent put her in the pantheon of great New Jersey musical talents like Frank Sinatra, Count Basie and Bruce Springsteen. Our prayers are with her family."

Kelly Ripa:":-( #RIP Whitney"

Kim Kardashian: "Just heard the tragic news that Whitney Houston passed away. I pray for her daughter & loved ones. We will always love you Whitney..."

Matthew Morrison: "I'm very sad to hear about the passing of Whitney Houston, may she rest in peace."

Nick Lachey: "How tragic to hear about Whitney Houston's passing. Such a shame. She had one of the most iconic voices of my lifetime. #rip"

Wendy Williams: "My family & I are saddened by the loss of a true icon & legend - Whitney Houston. Our thoughts & prayers are w/ the entire Houston family."

Kathy Griffin: "She was A TALENT & A LEGEND. She was never a "reality star" No jokes from me about Miss Houston today."

Kirstie Alley: "Oh my...heartbreaking.. to the Family and friends of Whitney Houston, deepest regards ...."

David Alan Grier: "Rest n Peace Whitney Houston."

Dwyane Wade: "RIP to a legend..Sad day for music lovers...Whitney Houston should be celebrated 4 blessing us with her gifts..#Icon #mother #beautiful"

Russell Simmons: "Whitney Houston was one of the greatest singers this world has ever heard"

Justin Bieber: "R.I.P Whitney Houston"

Ricky Gervais:* "RIP Whitney Houston An amazing talent & a tragic soul. So sad."

Clay Aiken: "RIP Whitney Houston. The soundtrack of so many lives. I'm sure Heaven reverberates 2nite with the sound of ur voice. It always was angelic."

Mike Tyson: "Condolences to the Houston family, especially Bobbi Kristina. I'm lost for words. Prayers and love."

Chris Colfer: "Whitney Houston #IWillAlwaysLoveYou"

The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #612
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

I love Cee Lo green's and Chris Colfer's
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #613
country flag Just Do It

Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone tell adele to fuck off for at least a week and give Whitney a chance be #1 on itunes. her greatest hits album is #2 at the moment. It is sad how you need to die to get on the charts again, it was the same with Michael.
Just Do It is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #614
country flag cecilija

cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of

Whitney at the opening of the Arthur Ashe stadium. Very touching video

cecilija is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #615
country flag tonythetiger

tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future tonythetiger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renalicious View Post
This is my own little tribute to The Voice.

I hope you did you some sort of justice Whit. Goodbye and RIP.

PS: A lot better with headphones, read the description.
Beautiful. Thank you for a wonderful tribute to the best songstress ever. I miss her and still can't believe it.
"No other female pop star, not Mariah Carey, not Celine Dion, not Barbra Streisand - quite rivals Houston in her exquisite vocal fluidity and purity of tone, and her ability to infuse a lyric with mesmerizing melodrama." Los Angeles Times
tonythetiger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote