Sorana News And Articles - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 5th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #16
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sorana News And Articles

Ilie
My great aunt always liked him. I never even know people in my family ever have heard of him

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #17
country flag thadeuss

thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future

here are a few recent articles about Sorana.. I've used google trante to translate them with few modifications..

Quote:
GSP.ro Sorana Cirstea combines these days training with examination evidence Baccalaureate

Sorana interrupted U.S. Open Series tournaments to give the Baccalaureate. She came into the country immediately after being eliminated from Cincinnati. "I'm sorry I had to interrupt this series because I play well. I would have liked to be in Toronto and New Haven, but I missed the session because of summer tournaments, was not the case. It is better to him give now, as I still have fresh in mind all the information, "said Sorana. After going to Romanian and French, oral, written test yesterday came among the Romanian language and literature, which acknowledges it was the fear. Subject Soran allowed to choose to write about "Enigma Otiliei" novel that she read during the Roland Garros site. "I wrote about seven pages. More joking, more seriously, teachers have told me to stop," added Sorana. Three exems have passed, there are still three, Geography, Sports and English.

A week and a half is too much pause for a tennis player, so yesterday, after having passed the exam emotions, came to Bucharest to train. "In Tirgoviste I don't have hard court. I would have been easier", she added. In addition to the box of balls, two bags with racquets, Sorana had with her several books.

Friday, she will leave to U.S. to attend the U.S. Open, where she will be on the single main draw, and on the double, with Caroline Wozniacki. For the last Grand Slam tournament of the year, which begins on August 31, Sorana has a certain objective. "I want to be healthy and playing very well," she said. Enough for on important result.

She changed the shoes
When he came into the country, Sorana had to do a MRI to see what was happening to her right leg. "Everything is fine. I changed many surfaces this year. Plantar fasciata is a very common disease encountered at such times. And hard kill you, 'said Sorana. To escape these problems, it changed sports shoes, choosing one with higher sole, which mitigates the surface effects. Sorana was injured in the tournament in Los Angeles, where he reached the semifinals, but because of medical problems could not move very well.

Next Asia
When you enter during the U.S. Open, Sorana will lead to Amsterdam and then will go to Asia to attend the tournament in Seoul, Tokyo and Beijing. Depending on the results of these three contests, she will attend or not to Linz or Moscow. Then will follow one month free.
thadeuss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #18
country flag thadeuss

thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future thadeuss has a brilliant future

an interview with her (24.08.2009)

Quote:
Adevarul.ro Sorana Cârstea "I can beat anybody!"

Climbed 23 WTA place, the best ranking of her career, Sorana Cârstea (19 years) is very optimistic before the tournament in U.S. Open, which starts next week. After the good developments in recent tournaments, Sorana declare confident that she can beat any of the top players in the world.

Truth Sports: Did you prepare for U.S. Open disturbed that you Baccalaureate in this period?

Sorana Cârstea: School is important to me and had to make this sacrifice. But it is a little strange to make commuting between America and Romania, with books with you. I finish the Bac Wednesday and Thursday go to the U.S. Open, where I was, unfortunately, I'll have only a few days of accommodation.

You had a fantastic series of tournaments. It will help to approach this tournament in U.S. Open with bold objectives?

I've matured a lot and I feel I already play to another level. I worked hard in training and physical side and this gives results. I've got the shots and the force, this chapter is important when you whant to beat the top players. Frankly, I think I can beat anyone at this time. I hope I can prove this to the U.S. Open, where the cream of the tennis world comes.

How influenced boarding the top 25? Feel that the world looks different to the tours now?

I have another presence for sure, the people already know me. This gives me a good moral, but I'm aware that I have a lot to improve. I want 2010 to make a leap to top 10 and I think I can do this because I have not many points to defend in the start of the season.

Monica Niculescu exceed you the standings doubles and is nearly the top 20. How do you see competition with your former partner?

There is not a competition. She focuses more on the doubles, while I'm a simple player. I attend doubles just for fun and to improve my game to the net. The U.S. Open will be paired with Carol Wozniacki and hope to make a beautiful figure.

At Roland Garros and Wimbledon you have been encouraged by your parents in the stands. Come and the U.S. Open?

Mom was with me to the series of tournaments on cement in America, but now my parents will stay home because they are busy with business. In addition, I have with me all Adidas team, led by coaches Sven Groeneveld, Darren Cahill and Gyl Reyes, who takes care of my physical preparation. Anyway, I grew more and do not need to go with Mommy hand to hand all over(laughs) ....

Have you set timing until the end of the year?

Yes, largely. After U.S. Open I will lead a week to Amsterdam and then I'll go to a series of tournaments in Asia, in Seoul, Tokyo and Beijing. Depending on the results here, I will then decide if I participate in Linz or Moscow.

What expectations of the tournaments in Asia?

The first time I attend there and have some emotions. From what I've talked to other players, is very well in Asia because the organization is excellent and the athletes are treated royally. Unfortunately, there are always problems with accommodating the time zone. It will be an interesting experience anyway and wait to get there.

She dream of an exotic holiday with adversarele

At the end of October, Sorana plans to take a month vacation to relax after the season of her career loaded.

Partner of fun will be just some of adversaries they won on the field this year, Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki (center) (double her teammates, no. 8 WTA) and the Polish sisters Urszula (left) and Agnieska Radwanska (right ) (No. 13 WTA). "We are good friends among us, although we duel on the field several times this year. We want to go somewhere in an exotic island, where we isolate the courts for some time. We have not yet figured where to go were focus each for the U.S. Open, but we have time to make our program " dream with open eyes Sorana Cârstea.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #19
country flag thadeuss

[quote]Jump to the head! [in romanian seed payer = cap de serie (head of series) so the title it's a play of words]

Romanians are people with head. And not anyway, but to the major Grand Slam tournaments. Series head to Wimbledon, Victor Hanescu (28) and Sorana Cirstea (24) are again on the favorites list at the U.S. Open, the last Grand Slam tournament of the year.

Romania had no such representation nor male nor female for almost ten years. Then, Ruxandra Dragomir, Irina Spîrlea, Andrei Pavel were on the list of heads of series. "It is sensational for Romanian tennis to have such occurrences. Sorana Cirstea and Victor Hanescu can accede without problems until 4R of the U.S. Open. With a little luck, beyond 4R ", said the FRT president, Ruxandra Dragomir, who is convinced that the playing surface at the U.S. Open will benefit greatly by Sorana.

The results during the last period brought Victor Hanescu and Sorana Cirstea in one aspect more than pleasant. Highest ranked Romanian in the global hierarchy hopes to honor their status as heads of series at the U.S. Open. Hane remained connected to American breeze and play the tournament in New Haven, where the tour of three .... Austrian Meltzer, score ...[this part was writen before the match with Meltzer..]

Sorana came to the country but to give the Baccalaureate exam. It starts today in New York determined to show that she's not randomly trying to enter the top 20 players in the world. "I do not make trouble with time zone, even if I returned to the country. In two days I will be back on track. I want to climb in the ATP rankings, but I'm not in a hurry. I take it one step at the time. I have more to show. In time the experience will come and then I will be a complete player, "said the 19 years youngster, which promises to show. "I will show a quality tennis, wherever I play. In central or secondary courts, Sorana completed.

She completed the baccalaureate
High school graduation exam was not a challenge for Sorana. She w3asn't nervous. And that was because she prepared well for it. "Okay, I finished with the baccalaureate. Last test I had in English, where I think I did well. I do not worry about the outcome. Waiting on Friday to find out what will be my final grade said Sorana. Moreover, before the exam she gave autographs to her colleagues.

"The best thing I did in geography. Long journeys on which I made the tournament every continent helped me much ", Sorana Cirstea[/QUOTE
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #20
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Old Sep 1st, 2009, 11:45 AM   #21
country flag Langers

Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute Langers has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate!

Well Hanescu got knocked out yesterday so lets hope Sorana fares a bit better for Romania.
Langers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:39 AM   #22
country flag thadeuss

http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fulls...newsid=6638788
The Tennis Week Interview: Sorana Cirstea
Quote:
Sorana Cirstea prepared for the US Open by hitting with a pair of former US Open champions: Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf, her tennis idol.

"I was hitting with Andre before Stanford, LA and Cincinnati and I hit with Steffi before Indian Wells," Cirstea said. "Steffi came two times and hit with me and it really helped me a lot."

The 24th-seeded Cirstea showed the result of that training today when she overwhelmed Ayumia Morita, 6-1, 6-3, to reach the US Open second round where she will play Canada's Stephanie Dubois next.

The 19-year-old from Bucharest is one of five Romanian women ranked inside the top 100 and if the seeds hold true to form she could play her friend, fellow adidas endorser and sometime travel partner Caroline Wozniacki in the third round in what would be a rematch of the Roland Garros round of 16. Cirstea knocked off three top 25 players in succession — Alize Cornet, Wozniacki and Jelena Jankovic — to reach the last eight.

Tennis Week caught up with Cirstea today for this interview.

Tennis Week: Sorana, I know you've been working with the adidas coaching team. Who have you been working with and how has it helped your game?

Sorana Cirstea: I am part of the adidas development team so I am working with Sven Groeneveld, Darren Cahill and doing fitness with Gil Reyes. I've been already four times in Vegas. I started working with Gil last year before the Olympics. I really started with Sven and Darren shortly before the French Open this year.

Tennis Week: How has that training helped your development? Have you hit with Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf in Vegas?

Sorana Cirstea: Since I got to start working with the team my game has changed completely. I think my mental (game) has changed more than my physical game. I love Vegas — it's my favorite place. I had the honor to hit with Steffi and Andre and just to be out there on the court hitting with them meant so much to me. I was hitting with Andre before Stanford, LA and Cincinnati and I hit with Steffi before Indian Wells. Steffi came two times and hit with me and it really helped me a lot.

Tennis Week: You've said Steffi was your tennis hero growing up. What influence did Steffi have on you? Where is your primary training base?

Sorana Cirstea: Because of Steffi I started playing tennis. I saw her playing on TV and I told my parents I want to be like her. Just to meet her and spend some time with her was a dream come true for me. I have been practicing in Vegas and Amsterdam — depends on where I am.

Tennis Week: I remember watching you lose to Kuznetsova in the second round of the Open last year and Kuznetsova said after that match that you were very talented, you just need to gain experience and learn how to play points. How would you compare yourself and your game a year ago to the player you are today?

Sorana Cirstea: Exactly. Everyone said I was very talented player, but maybe sometimes I was going a little bit crazy on court or not taking the right decision. I agree with Sveta: I needed to learn to play points and make good decisions. I think since last year I learned to be more disciplined and not rushing. Last year I was playing really good but in the right moments I wasn't taking the right decisions. I think I am more calm and more focused now and I think that's why my results are better.

Tennis Week: You had a very good run at Roland Garros. What did your success at the French Open do for you and for your confidence.

Sorana Cirstea: Of coure it did a lot for me. I went into French Open without having a very good year until May. So for the first time in my career I didn't think about the result. I just thought about playing my best tennis in every match. I was playing and better and better every match. I've had a really good run and since then my confidence is getting higher and also on court I think I have a different position and a different idea of what to do.

Tennis Week: You spoke about being calmer and more patient on court. How have you been able to develop that sense of competitive calm?

Sorana Cirstea: I wasn't calm before. I was going a little bit crazy and maybe talking too much. Since I started with the team and Gil it has helped calm ne. Gil is amazing and always talking to me and making me understand things. Since the French Open I don't focus on my mistakes as much as I did. Sometimes of course I have the frustration but I can focus on the points better now.

Tennis Week: Romania has a tennis tradition with Nastase and Tiriac. How did that tradition influence you and how popular is tennis in Romania these days?

Sorana Cirstea: Tennis was very popular when Nasatse and Tiriac were playing and also Pavel. After that, we really didn't have anyone for a while. Growing up we always had doubt would I get there or not? Because there weren't a lot of players. I was working hard and not thinking much and suddenly I was top 100. I think tennis is getting popular again in Romania and now again it is starting and we have like five girls in the top 100 and the boys are doing good. So it's getting really popular and I'm really happy to see that. Parents are getting their kids into tennis and now they start to think a bit more about tennis and people talk about tennis more so I think it is growing again.

Tennis Week: Did you know or hit with Spirlea growing up?

Sorana Cirstea: Not really I never met her because she is living in Italy. But I have a really, really close relationship with Dragomir. Now she is president of the federation and she has gone through the things I have gone through so to have someone who has been through it all is very helpful.

Tennis Week: You've said your goal is top 10, you've been as high as No. 23 and you are 26 now. What is your ultimate goal?

Sorana Cirstea: I always try to set goals that are small short-term goals I can achieve and when I get there I can put another goal. If I said No. 1 that's so far away, but if I say top 25 and then top 20 and then top 10 then it always gives me a goal to work for and it is like stepping stones. Now because I have been playing really well lately it's very important not to focus on one result but to focus on my game go as far as I can.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM   #23
country flag hellas719

Thanks
I really can't wait to see Sori in the top 10

Old Sep 4th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #24
country flag thadeuss

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/art...ersonalization
Quote:
Meet Sorana Cirstea, Romania's next superstar
Thursday, September 3, 2009
By Clair Maciel

When Sorana Cirstea had her breakthrough performance at Roland Garros this year, all eyes on the WTA Tour turned to the 19-year-old Romanian who was making a stir and fighting her way up the ranks with three straight wins over top players.

Ranked No. 41 in Paris, she notched wins over No. 21 seed Alize Cornet, No. 10 Caroline Wozniacki and No. 5 Jelena Jankovic before bowing out to No. 30 Sam Stosur in the quarterfinals.

And just to prove her French Open success was no fluke, her hot streak continued through the summer with a semifinal appearance in Los Angeles, where she defeated Wozniacki, Sabine Lisicki and No. 8 seed Agnieszka Radwanska before again falling to Stosur.

“Starting in Paris, everything was going well for me,” Cirstea said. “I began improving a lot, and beating top-10 players gave me a lot of confidence. I know now that when I play against top players, I know I can beat them anytime. I just have to focus on my game.”

But success didn't always come so easy. Cirstea started the 2009 season with a drought that stretched for six tournaments, but she finally began reaping the rewards of her hard work with her first win of the year in Marbella in April.

She attributes her turnaround to changes in her mentality and overall training regimen. And since she began working with the Adidas Player Development Program, which includes the all-star team of Darren Cahill, Sven Groeneveld and Gil Reyes, her performance has improved drastically.

“I’ve made a lot of changes, I’ve started to work with the Adidas team and I’ve seen a big difference in my game,” she said. “They told me to be more calm during matches and that I need to be more disciplined and control my emotions more. I used to talk to myself a lot during matches and get upset, but now that I’ve made all those changes, it’s helped me. I’ve been more calm and I’ve learned to take a more positive attitude on court.”

Coincidentally, Cirstea will again meet Wozniacki for the third time this summer in the third round of the US Open. And given her 2-1 edge in head-to-heads against the 19-year-old Dane, Cirstea should have a great deal of confidence as she heads into Saturday’s contest. The only difficult part will be looking past the fact that she’ll be playing against someone she considers a close friend.

“We are very good friends,” Cirstea said of Wozniacki. “I actually celebrated her birthday with her this year. But, you know, sometimes it happens that you play one player over and over, but you just have to focus on playing your game and not looking at who is on the other side of the net. When I’m on court and playing a friend, I just try to win and I don’t think about who I’m playing.”

On the court, Cirstea packs an unforgiving, heavy forehand that she can unleash at will during a baseline rally. But off the court, she has a kind, down-to-earth attitude about her, and usually has a smile on her face. The recent high school graduate is fluent in Romanian, English and Spanish and is currently studying French.

And like most teenagers, her favorite things to do during her down time are relaxing, going to the movies and shopping. So it’s no surprise that New York is one of her favorite cities to visit.

“I haven’t had much time yet in New York to go out and do anything, but when I do, I want to go shopping,” she said with a big smile. “I love to shop. Usually I always go someplace with nothing of mine and then I go home with so many things that I bought.”

Five Romanian women entered the US Open at the start of the tournament, but after the first round of play was complete, only Cirstea remained as the last hopeful for her country. And Romania has a lot to be proud of in her. After reaching a career-high No. 23 in August, she is the first Romanian woman to break the top 25 since Irina Spirlea (No. 7) and Ruxandra Dragomir Ilie (No. 15) in 1997. And her connection to former No. 1 and fellow countryman Ilie Nastase gives her a lot of inspiration as well.

“I’ve known Mr. Nastase for a long time,” she said. “He’s a legend in Romania. And tennis is getting really popular there, so it’s good to see.”

One thing is for sure, Cirstea has a lot to do with the sport’s growing popularity Romania, and if her success continues, it won’t be long before she’s the next big superstar in her home country.
I doubt she can became a superstar like Nastase, Hagi or Nadia Comaneci if she doesn't win a few Grand slams. It's true that she became more popular and there are more news about her and about tennis in general since RG but it's a long way to became a superstar in Romania if your not a footballer or the best in the world in 'other' sports.
Virginia Ruzici won a Slam and played a final but not many in Romania have heard of her...
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #25
country flag hellas719

Unfortunately I don't think she'll be like Nastase or Comaneci

Old Sep 5th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #26
country flag teo_honey

teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future

Well it's almost impossible to be like them, especially like Nadia. But Sorana can be a star herself.

SORANA CIRSTEA
~Haide MONICA & Edina!~
teo_honey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #27
country flag hellas719

How famous is Sorana now? How popular is she in Romania?

Old Sep 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #28
country flag teo_honey

teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future

For a tennis player, she's pretty big. But that doesn't mean much. She's only featured in sports news items. It's not like she gets invited to TV shows or anything like that. But she doesn't really have the time for that either. Anyway, I'm sure her popularity will grow as her results will improve. Looking forward to that!

SORANA CIRSTEA
~Haide MONICA & Edina!~
teo_honey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #29
country flag hellas719

Oh, okay

Old Sep 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #30
country flag Meelis
Team WTAworld

Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute

http://cornedbeefhash.wordpress.com/...n-with-sorana/

Sorana Cirstea is one of the most talked about up-and-comers on the WTA Tour, and the Romanian teenager has made her arrival known on the court this year with consistent results thanks to plenty of power tennis.
Cirstea’s big arrival came in Paris in May, when she upset Jelena Jankovic at the French Open and advanced to the quarterfinals.
Not only is the 19-year-old’s game beautiful, she’s a gorgeous one herself. Cirstea fell in the third round of the Open to doubles partner Caroline Wozniacki in straight sets. But before all that happened, TSF sat down with the 26th-ranked player in the world at Mason’s Tennis Mart, the official store of the U.S. Open, prior to the beginning of the tourney thanks to Wilson tour marketing manager (and former WTA pro) Tracy Almeda-Singian.
Here’s what Sorana had to say (and wear) at her Wilson signing:

Code:
TSF: So what do you think? Are you in love with New York City yet?!
Sorana Cirstea: It took an hour and a half to get to the hotel from the airport, so that’s all the New York I’ve seen so far! 
We had dinner last night at a Japanese restaurant and then went straight to bed because of the time change. 
But hopefully I’ll have time for shopping. Shopping is great here. 

TSF: Speaking of shopping, are you going to hang around NYC to do any after the Open? 
What else do you want to do while in the Big Apple?
SC: I really love the Broadway shows. We always go and see the shows in Vegas 
when I practice there [with Steffi Graf]. We have planned to stay a few days after the tournament, 
hopefully for one day of all shopping; from morning to night, just shopping!

TSF: What’s the deal at home?! Are you majorly famous in Romania or what?
SC: Now people recognize me there. When I’m in the mall with my friends everyone is looking at me. 
I think it’s a good feeling because people appreciate you and know that you are working hard. 
They recognize my results. In Romania, they haven’t had someone that late in a grand slam in a long time. 
It was a nice achievement for me and I want to do it [advance to the quarterfinals] again soon.

TSF: What are you listening to right now on your iPod?
SC:  I was just listening to Flo Rida “Spin My Head Right Round” in the car; that gets me pumped up! 
It reminds me of The Hangover for some reason and I love that movie. It’s my favorite of the summer.
Meelis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote