Big West - 2009 news - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 19th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #31
country flag form

form has disabled reputation
Re: Big West - 2009 news

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Hey Form can you verify when the Cal Invite begins.

Cal Invitational - LBS says it starts 9/25 while Cal says 10/2?
10/2 ... typical
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM   #32
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Yesterday the CIF Southern Section Div. 1 (in Southern CA) no. 1 team Dana Pointe Dana Hills HS defeated the no. 2 team North Hollywood Campbell Hall HS 10-8.

Interesting to note freshman blue chip Alyssa Smith of Dana Hills, younger sister of UCI freshman Kristina Smith, in singles swept both junior blue chip Sabrina Santamaria (USC bound) and junior blue chip Sarah Lee.

Blue chip Alyssa Smith may seem familiar because she was the player UCI's April Bisharat defeated in the $50,000 Carson tournament tennisbuddy12 provided a video of.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:49 AM   #33
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
10/2 ... typical
Here's some funny reading from a Long Beach St. release!

Tennis begins season at Cal Nike Ivitational

"Junior Deborah Armstrong returns for her third season with the 49ers just two wins why of reaching 100 wins over her career."

"...Alawi, hailing from Sofia, Bulgaria, has been ranked as high as 170 by the ATF and will get her first chance at collegiate competition this weekend."

Didn't know the department of Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms (ATF) had rankings. Sounds like Alawi is just getting out of jail after being one of America's Most Wanted?
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #34
country flag gouci

UC Irvine

- April Bisharat acquires a WTA ranking of #978. This was as a result of her win over #390 Asia Muhammed.

- Stephanie Hammel goes 5-1 in the Pre-qualifying of the Riviera All-American Tournament and advances into Qualifying singles. Courtney Byron goes 3-2.

- Jennifer Cornea and Nicole Koehly, 2 recruits with a high interest in UC Irvine, have been upgraded to 5 star players.

- What a great week for UCI tennis.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #35
country flag gouci

1. I hate to see California 5 star players like Elena Najera Salas and Marivick Mamiit go out of state to Denver and William & Mary.

I hope Salas and Mamiit didn't pick their college based on Denver's and William & Mary's past glory. If they did they're in for a rude awakening. Both schools have new coaches so throw Denver's top 30 and W&M's top 20 past rankings out the window.

2. UC Davis is milking their huge pipeline to the Match Point Tennis Academy. Dahra Zamudio, Eleanor Edles, Nicole Koehly and Megan Heneghan are all alumni of that academy located in UCI's backyard porch at the Racquet Club of Irvine.

UC Davis just added the top of their line-up next season with Heneghan and Koehly. IMHO Davis just leap frogged some teams in contending for that Big West #3 spot next season.

3. Looks like UCI is passing on 5 stars Koehly, Heneghan and Jennifer Cornea who would have been fighting for the #6 singles spot behind higher ranked and probably #5 singles Kristina Smith.

As I was speculating UCI has their sights on higher rated recruits one of which comes from San Diego County if I'm right.

Last edited by gouci : Nov 6th, 2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #36
country flag 10sFan

10sFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Jennifer Cornea says it will be SLO, so still on topic of Big West News
10sFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #37
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sFan View Post
Jennifer Cornea says it will be SLO, so still on topic of Big West News
Welcome to the board 10sFan.
What team do you root for?

With Cal Poly having 4 seniors this season including Nos. 1 & 2 Brittany Blalock and Suzie Matzenauer graduating, Jennifer Cornea may end up Cal Poly's new #1 singles next season!
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #38
country flag 10sFan

I've been following the Big West for a couple of years as I have seen some players that I knew from the juniors go on to play for such esteemed programs as UCI and CSLB among others, but I recently developed an affinity for the UCR program.

I saw your post a few weeks ago suggesting that UCR would be pretty weak again this season. The UCI tournament will give us a better indication of what to expect, but I expect that UCR will be deeper this year. I don't think they will have anyone to match up with the big dogs at the top spots, but with luck, the added depth will make them more competitive at the lower spots.

You do a great job with all your Big West and recruiting posts, and it is much appreciated!
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #39
country flag gouci

You can probably count on one hand the number of American players that have signed to play for Long Beach St. in the 2000s. So I'll guess you may be referring to Sandra Rocha?

UCR has put themselves in a big disadvantage by having their women's tennis program about 67% or less fully funded. Unfortunately until their funding increases what UCR has to look forward to will be battling Cal St. Fullerton for 8th place in the Big West every year.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #40
country flag 10sFan

Sorry, didn't mean to challenge you, but no - I don't know Sandra Rocha You can have 5 guesses for the LB player, but only 1 for the UCI player

The number of scholies is a tremendous disadvantage. I am not sure that you can't put a competitive team together with only 6, but it sure magnifies the impact of a mistake. Teams with 8 can carry a player that doesn't work out, or that takes time to develop, whereas a mistake when you have only 6 really hurts the competitiveness of the team. Even with 8, every player is a bit of a gamble - some will blossom while others will disappoint.

One advantage that UCR has is that there are a lot of good players in Southern California that would rather stay local, and UCI can't take them all I think the money plus location explains the success of a program like Concordia which does have some excellent players, but I expect they also have more players on scholarship than UCR. LB has a great program, but as you note, I don't see them recruiting many players from the area.

You are probably correct about UCR, but I think your original observation was based upon the CSUF tourney results, and I think UCR only played one freshman. Hopefully, we will see all 3 next week at UCI.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #41
country flag gouci

10sFan if your connection to the players is through the Riverside area, the only recent UCI player from Riverside was Kristina Boss.

The only other connection I can see is through the Placentia area. Stephanie Hammel (UCI) and Natalie McKay (UCR) both went to Valencia HS in Placentia while Julie Luzar (LBS) went to El Dorado HS also in Placentia.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #42
country flag 10sFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
The only other connection I can see is through the Placentia area. Stephanie Hammel (UCI) and Natalie McKay (UCR) both went to Valencia HS in Placentia while Julie Luzar (LBS) went to El Dorado HS also in Placentia.
Impressive! I do know all three players through high school tennis though Stephanie and Natalie actually share a private coach, who also worked with Julie when she was young, so there is another thread
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #43
country flag gouci

10sFan if your a new fan of college tennis let me offer a friendly tip on how to better evaluate college players. First let me say any player that plays Div. 1 college tennis was probably a great high school player. But once in college the players are being compared to their peers of other college players including upper classmen. They should no longer be compared to other high school players. So when evaluating college players you will have to raise the curve.

So when you say UCR has the advantage of a lot of good players in SoCal you mean good high school players which is not the same as good Div. 1 college players.

Recruiting Curve
One curve to use on how an incoming recruit potentially stacks up nationally is the TRN (tennisrecruiting.net) rating system. I'm just drawing arbitrary lines here as a general example.

Blue chip = great recruit
5 star = good recruit
4 star #76 - 125 = avg. recruit
4 star 126 & below = below avg. recruit
3 star or less = walk-on level

Ex. A 4 star #150 recruit may have been one of the best 3 players in her state in high school, but in Div. 1 college she may project only as a bench or walk-on level player.

Conference Curve
Another curve to use on how a players stacks up in conference is the all conference team for singles & doubles.

1st team All Conference
2nd team All Conference
Honorable Mention

Ex. If a team adds a projected 1st Team All Big West player like April Bisharat that is something to get very excited about because 1st teamers will have a HUGE impact on the conference standings.

Ex. Another team may have added a blue chip player like USC did with Cristala Andrews a few years ago but if she doesn't project to even make Pac 10 honorable mention in her career than it's nothing to get excited about from the stand point she's a non-factor in shaping the conference standings.

So when evaluating an incoming recruit don't focus on their great HS accomplishments but look at if they can crack their team's starting lineup in singles or doubles? Also look at the bigger picture if they can crack one of the All Conference teams and make any kind of impact on the conference standings.

Ex. UCI's Hayley Young in HS was the team captain for Corona Del Mar as they had a perfect UNDEFEATED HS season winning both the CIF Div. 1 title and the national HS tournament title. But in Div. 1 college tennis she was just a walk-on last season.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #44
country flag 10sFan

All this is academic. As I said, I was looking forward to seeing how the players actually perform, and then we will get a better feel for whether they will contribute or not.

I do like the TRN system as it is the best out there, especially now that even the So Cal ranking system has gone to the point based system, but it still doesn't tell the entire story as I think most any college coach would tell you. They want to see the player's actual game in order to see the potential.

To give specific examples, I was confident that Stephanie would do well in collegiate tennis, because she had all the tools, and just needed to fine tune some elements of her game in order to raise her game to the next level. In contrast, I felt that Alison Ramos was pretty much maxed out in junior tennis, and though her game is already at a high level, she would probably not be able to take her game to an even higher level. I was also skeptical that Julie would be able to raise her level substantially, and would have advised her to take a different offer where she might have contributed more to the program.

I understand your focus is on players like Bisharat that have the potential to impact the UCI/LB competition for #1. I certainly don't expect UCR to contend with UCI/LB, but I think they will be a bit tougher competition for the mid-pack teams in the Big West than last year. Your observation that prompted my response suggested that they would be perennial bottom dwellers that couldn't beat Concordia, and while that remains to be seen, I think they do have the potential to disprove that.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

BTW, do you know whether the the draw for the UCI tournament has been published yet?
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #45
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sFan View Post
BTW, do you know whether the the draw for the UCI tournament has been published yet?
I don't know. I probably won't be paying much attention to the UCI Invite. This Friday is for the 1st UCI men's basketball game and Saturday is for the Pacquiao vs Cotto fight!

I'll probably just glance at some UCI scores when the results come out.

To be honest I'm probably more interested in the results of the CSUN Invite this weekend as I try to gauge the strength of UCI opponents like UCSB and Boise St.

Last edited by gouci : Nov 14th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.