Big West - 2009 news - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #16
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Big West - 2009 news

I guess Leo is a fan of the Big West.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 14th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #17
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Historical factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCB View Post
As to your practice of delaying your predictions until January, I see that as being way too conservative. Based on the conference's history, you should be able to make your predictions years in advance .
Rob before finalizing your predictions, Long Beach St. has a historical factor that needs to be considered.

That factor is that Long Beach St. has a trend of one or more players leaving the team every season. To show that I'm not making it up but that it's "based on history" as you like to account for, I will list what I'm talking about.

Note: I'm not commenting at all good or bad why these players left, so don't get angry and explode like Form might do. I'm just listing the facts.

(season didn't return)(player name)(grade would have been)

2008-09 Stephanie Jeanes 4 - sophomore
2008-09 Lisa Haegele 8 - sophomore

2007-08 Katy Williams 2 - junior
2007-08 Denise Liebschner 8 - sophomore

2006-07 Nina Burgoon 9 - freshman

2005-06 Nicoleta Ratiu 6 - sophomore

2004-05 Alanah Carroll 4/5 - junior

2003-04 Megan Biorkman 3/4 - sophomore
2003-04 Alena Kovalchuk 1 - junior
2003-04 Laura Thomas 2 - junior

2002-03 Anastasia Dvornikova 1 - junior
2002-03 Alena Dvornikova 3 - junior

In each of the last 7 years Long Beach St. has had anywhere from 1 to 3 players leave the team. Now this 49er streak may go back further but the records only go back until 2002 and that's as far back as I can confirm.

Will this 49er streak stay alive for next season?

2009-10 ???

Last edited by gouci : Jun 17th, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #18
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

I AM HOPEFUL ON ONE STREAK.... LB TROPHIES, UCI ZIPPO (did you remember to dust the empty trophy case this week?)

I recently learned an 09 player is leaving (not allowed to say why) but boosters are aware.

glad to see you still haven't figure out who
1) left because tennis was above your level and they didn't want to work hard
2) left because they were home sick
3) left because they didn't really want to play tennis.. which is why you get a scholie.

Glad to see you still aren't questioning the girl near the bottom of your line up, who I watched lose to a 2 star last summer, who is bleeding your team dry and cost your ...oh, how shall I say it... FIRST EVER... that's how, mmm, feels good... championship.

UNDERHANDSMASH...Look in the mirror.. and then hit self in head with racquet (until you finish the job).

This was such a blatant cheap shot I responded. If I had your lack of class, I'd begin to point out all the UCI faults in detail (former asst, former player with ...............) but hey, scoreboard.

Side note: Rob, please track me down (I think you know how on the net via my work)... Coach would like to add you (and Jim) to the booster list.

Last edited by form : Jun 15th, 2009 at 05:33 AM.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #19
country flag gouci

Hey Form nice to see you posting again.

How was the French Open?

Does the trip mean Long Beach St. will be signing some more French players in the future.

Would have gone with your 1st thought and not added through edit that 5th & 6th paragraph to your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
UNDERHANDSMASH...Look in the mirror.. and then hit self in head with racquet (until you finish the job).

This was such a blatant cheap shot I responded. If I had your lack of class, I'd begin to point out all the UCI faults in detail (former asst, former player with ...............) but hey, scoreboard.
Form the part of you exploding I got right.

Form LIGHTEN UP!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #20
country flag gouci

Re: Historical factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Will this 49er streak stay alive for next season?

2009-10 ???
2009-10 Lisa Sutton 6 - junior

The Long Beach St. STREAK reaches at least 8 years in a row.

Lisa Sutton was essentially 0-10 in dual matches at No. 6 singles against teams that were ranked at season's end.

Playing against a ranked team with Sutton in the line-up it was like Long Beach St. was starting the match down 0-1.

I guess I'm not surprised "Sutsy" was axed by Long Beach St.

Last edited by gouci : Jun 17th, 2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #21
country flag gouci

107th SoCal Sectional Championships

Final Rounds Consolation

4 star Jennifer Cornea (Big West recruit) def. 5 star Kathryn Webb 6-3, 7-5
J. Cornea def. blue chip Arianna Colffer 7-5,6-3
J. Cornea lost to blue chip Krista Hardebeck 4-6,2-6

Round of 16

5 star Kristina Smith (UC Irvine) lost to blue chip Lacey Smyth 2-6,2-6

Round of 32

K. Smith (UCI) def. 5 star Jessica Harrow 6-4,6-1
J. Cornea lost to blue chip Jojo Sanford 3-6,2-6

Blue chip Jojo Sanford's ranking has been slipping lately. Maybe she'll slip into UCI's range.

Round of 32 Prelim

K. Smith (UCI) def. 4 star Miya Jin 6-2,6-2
4 star Taylor Raney (UC Riverside) lost to 5 star Nikki Sanders 2-6,4-6
J. Cornea def. 4 star Kristin Eggleston (New Mexico) 6-1,6-2

Round of 64 Prelim

4 star Eleanor Edles (UC Davis) lost to 3 star Victoria Wing 3-6,4-6
K. Smith (UCI) def. J. Nguyen 6-0,6-0
J. Cornea def. 2 star Ariel Beckerman 6-1,6-1
T. Raney (UCR) def. 1 star Gabriela Velasco 6-3,6-0

Round of 128 Prelim

4 star Tiffany Mai (Cal St. Fullerton) lost to 3 star Jamie Raney 2-6,0-6
3 star Natalie McKay lost to 3 star Maya Humes 5-7,0-6
T. Raney (UCR) def. 4 star Hailey Hogan 7-5,6-4

Last edited by gouci : Jun 29th, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #22
country flag gouci

SoCal Tennis Association awards

At the annual banquet 5 star Kristina Smith (UC Irvine) was presented with the Girls 18s SCTA sportsmanship award.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #23
country flag gouci

CSUN coach Gary Victor

Victor was named new Chair of the Western Region ITA Coaches' Committee, which votes on the rankings.

CSUN Tennis Head Coach Gary Victor Enjoys Busy Summer
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #24
country flag gouci

Hey Form, it's been like a month since you posted last.

It's time to come back and call a truce for the year.

To show good faith, here is a peace offering.

Form I will share one of my trade secrets with you. I will reveal a "hidden page" on TRN that has not been made public yet.

But by looking at the page you agree to come back and agree to the truce.

TRN hidden page

Last edited by gouci : Jul 7th, 2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #25
country flag gouci

Summer Circuit - Balboa Bay Club

Semi-Finals

Maggie Mello (Texas) def. Kristina Smith (UCI) 7-6,6-2

4th Round

Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) 6-4,6-1

3rd Round

Alison Ramos (USC) def. Elly Edles (UC Davis)
Kristina Smith (UCI) def. 4 star Tiffany Tran (Penn Foster HS)

2nd Round

4 star Lisel Lewis (Idaho St.) def. Natalie McKay (UCR)

1st Round

3 star Kelsey Costales (LB Wilson HS) def. Miranda Young (UCI)
Natalie McKay (UC Riverside) def. Amira Massi (CSUN)
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #26
country flag gouci

ITA Academic Honors

UC Irvine & Long Beach St. have been named ITA All-Academic Teams for 2008-09.
This award is given for a cumulative team GPA of 3.2 or higher on a 4.00 scale.

Below are ITA All-Academic Individual Honorees for those who finished the year with a 3.5+ GPA.

UC Irvine
- Stephanie Hammel
- Miranda Young
- Ali Borowicz

Long Beach St.
- Hannah Grady
- Deborah Armstrong
- Anais Dallara
- Julie Luzar
- Jessica Weeks
- Stephanie Jeanes

Last edited by gouci : Aug 5th, 2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 04:12 AM   #27
country flag gouci

Katy Williams interview

Williams Departing A Winner

UNLV senior netter a rare four-time league champ despite earlier transfer.

May 8, 2009

LAS VEGAS - When college tennis standout Katy Williams was looking for a new school to play for a couple of years ago, the all-conference performer wanted to end up somewhere she could continue her winning ways.

Mission accomplished.

The former Long Beach State transfer ultimately decided to spend her final two seasons at UNLV and it turned into a win-win (and win) situation for both her and the Lady Rebels.

Named All-Big West in both singles and doubles both of her seasons playing in the top two of the lineup for the highly ranked 49ers, Williams moved her net show to Las Vegas in time for the fall semester of 2007.

"When I left (LBSU), I wanted to go somewhere where hopefully my team would be winning - just like we've ended up doing here," says the native of Stevenage, England. "I had never been to Las Vegas but I talked to (former Lady Rebel and fellow Brit) Claire Smith, who I knew from home, about UNLV, and I really liked Kevin's enthusiasm about the program."

"Kevin" would be Lady Rebel head coach Kevin Cory, who has built a budding dynasty in the desert during his decade on campus, producing a combined five league titles. And he says it's no coincidence that his team won two of those championships after Williams joined the fold.

"Katy has been a really big part of our success the past two seasons and she's helped lead this team both on the court and in the classroom," he says of a player that is a candidate for Academic All-America honors. "She's a great example of what a student-athlete should be. You would have to talk about her as one of the top transfer players in the history of the program."

Williams, who ranked as high as 118th in singles and 53rd in doubles during her career, settled into the No. 3 spot in the UNLV lineup and produced two 20-win seasons, including 25-12 as a senior en route to All-MWC honors. In doubles, she joined Kristina Nedeltcheva this year to form the team's top duo and posted a 25-7 mark that has already tied for the fourth most wins in UNLV single-season history.

Also a two-time league champ at Long Beach, she brought a winning vibe to her new program that helped UNLV win Mountain West crowns in back-to-back seasons - a tournament title in 2008 and an impressive 8-0 regular-season championship this spring - after the team had gone four years without a first-place finish.

That success not only helped move the Lady Rebels back into the top echelon of the MWC, but also gave Williams the rare distinction of being a four-time conference champion despite playing at two different schools.

"I didn't expect to win a championship every year in college but it's been a lot of fun doing it," she says. "It was a great feeling this year to go undefeated in the conference as a senior. We didn't have the strongest start so no one on the team was talking about winning every match. Then we had that great weekend in San Diego (beating New Mexico, TCU and San Diego State in successive days), which showed us that we could play with anybody."

A communications major, Williams was set to walk at spring commencement ceremonies on May 9 but instead will be running in Los Angeles, facing Arizona State in the first round of the NCAA Championships. The 44th-ranked Lady Rebels used their 20-7 record, which included a 13-match winning streak, to earn an at-large bid to the big event for the eighth time in history.

Williams and her teammates will face the Pac-10 power starting at 9 a.m. PT on Saturday on the campus of UCLA. And while she'll miss receiving her symbolic diploma, the former transfer will graduate from college with honors - as a four-time champion.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #28
country flag gouci

Riviera All-American Tourney

Qualifying Singles

67. Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly
69. Jenifer Widjaja - Pacific

Qualifying Doubles

30. Suzie Matzenauer / Amy Markhoff - Cal Poly

Qualifying Doubes alternate

41. Michelle Murphy / Sofia Novak - UCSB

Prequalifying Singles

Suzie Matzenauer - Cal Poly

Prequalifying Singles alternate

Stephanie Hammel - UCI
Courtney Byron - UCI
Michelle Murphy - UCSB

Prequalifying Doubles

Brittany Blalock / Steffi Wong - Cal Poly

Prequalifying Doubles alternate

Stephanie Hammel / Courtney Byron - UCI = IN
Jenifer Widjaja / Julia Hansen - Pacific

Preseason Rankings

121. Anais Dallara - Long Beach St.

42. Anais Dallara / Rachel Manasse - Long Beach St.

Anais Dallara is currently ranked in singles and doubles but not entered in the Riviera.

And there's not even a release about her preseason rankings on the Long Beach St. site.

Last edited by gouci : Sep 18th, 2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #29
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

My understanding is that LB coach does not believe in pre-quals entries where it is single elimination with no back draw. If you lose first round (tough draw?), the athlete blows an allowed match date. Thus LB always goes to Cal Tourney with guaranteed 3 matches that weekend against equal competition.

With Grady gone, my guess is no LB entry went straight into Quals where there is a back draw.

Lastly, I am told Dallara picked up an injury over the summar and will not be on the court for another 2 weeks. Not sure if that means coach will enter her at Cal or not.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #30
country flag gouci

Hey Form can you verify when the Cal Invite begins.

Cal Invitational - LBS says it starts 9/25 while Cal says 10/2?