Interviews & Articles - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 29th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #16
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interviews & Articles

New Haven, QF:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=65810

Quote:
August 26, 2010

Nadia Petrova

NEW HAVEN, CONNECTICUT

N. PETROVA/S. Stosur
6-2, 6-1

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. 6-1, 6-2 seemed surprisingly easy over Stosur today. What was it that you were doing well?
NADIA PETROVA: It seemed surprising, that's the right words for this match.
Well, what can I say? I played really well today. I know Sam really well. I played first six months of the year doubles with her, so got a lot of time to practice with her. So I know her game very well. I know her strengths and weaknesses.
Today, you know, I was really in charge of the game and I didn't give her any chances to come back. I was just keeping that kind of pressure, trying to make her to come up with a better shot.
Very happy with my serve. It worked absolutely well. I got a lot of free points with it. I just really tried to stay consistent with the returns. My goal was to have a good power behind the ball and also be consistent with my shots, not to give too many free points.

Q. It appears there are going to be three Russians in the finals here.
NADIA PETROVA: Semifinals.

Q. Is there rhyme or reason to that? Why is it so many talented players are from Russia?
NADIA PETROVA: It's a big country, what do you expect? How many millions? 140 million people living in that country. Sport is very big in my country. It's not only tennis; it's soccer, it's hockey, it's gymnastics. We are very dedicated to what we do.
Even though last couple of years Russians were not really doing so well, if you look at the rankings before, maybe it was like five Russians in top 10. But now it's just a few.
But still we're able to come up with a good tennis here and there. I mean, if you look at the draw, you know, pretty much everywhere one of the Russians is doing well.

Q. Is it a huge emphasis as a kid in Russia, tennis?
NADIA PETROVA: When I started, it was very popular. We had a lot of tennis schools which were for free. It was a part of the sport program. So I believe, you know, people saw a good opportunity also to travel the world and also, you know, make a living out of their hobby.

Q. Seemed like one of the tactics today was to attack Sam's backhand quite a bit to open up her forehand. Can you talk about that.
NADIA PETROVA: Yeah, definitely Sam has a very dangerous forehand so you have to stay away from it. One of the tactics was to try to get her into her backhand side and then make her guess, you know, surprise her from time to time with shots to her forehand.
Looked like at the end of the match she was kind of falling apart because she didn't really know if I'm going backhand or forehand. So she kind of start making more errors at the end.

Q. Is it easier for you to play another Russian or easier to play a non-Russian?
NADIA PETROVA: I'd say it's easier to play a non-Russian. There's a lot of rivalry, a lot of competition between Russians. We always want to be better and higher ranked amongst each other. Of course, there's a bit more pressure.
But at the end of the day it's another opponent, someone you have to play on the other side of the net. With the years, you learn to block it away and try to focus on the things you have to do.

Q. Is it more satisfying to beat a Russian or non-Russian?
NADIA PETROVA: Every win is satisfying. You definitely get more response from back home because people are talking more about that. Obviously, my parents are getting much more exciting when I'm beating Russian than non-Russian. But for me it's another match, it's another W.
I try not to get so excited, you know, by beating another Russian. I'm really focusing on getting further in the tournament and hopefully getting a title.

Q. When you come here, being it's the week before the Open, is getting a title as important as getting your game finely tuned for the Open?
NADIA PETROVA: Oh, yeah, definitely, it's a great way to start the Open. You're on a positive note. Especially for me, it would be big achievement, would give me a lot of confidence because I really had unsuccessful hard court season. San Diego I lost in the first round. I struggled with a heat illness. I battle for like a whole week, which also influenced my result in Cincinnati. I didn't get enough matches.
I'm really happy to be here and to finally start playing the game that I play.

End of FastScripts

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 29th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #17
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

New Haven, SF:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=65846

Quote:
August 27, 2010

Nadia Petrova

NEW HAVEN, CONNECTICUT

N. PETROVA/M. Kirilenko
2-6, 6-2, 6-2

Q. Slow start, but you picked it up in the second. Did you find your serve or what?
NADIA PETROVA: I think what helped me a lot today obviously winning the first game of the second set. That momentum, you know, when Maria called for the physio, those couple of minutes did very well to me. I really saw that I can come back, that she's struggling with some back issues.
I had a good conversation with my coach. I felt I got back in the game. I thought I played the right game, cut down on my mistakes, focused a lot on my serve.

Q. From the first match, you start slowly then seem to pick it up and dominate. Is that typical?
NADIA PETROVA: Well, it's not typical. It did happen in the first match. It happened today. The other two matches were straight sets and I played very good from the beginning.
It may happen after a very good match, which I played yesterday. It was phenomenal tennis. This is very common in tennis. It's really hard to play the same game each single day. You do good and you do a little worse. It's a little bit up and down.
The great players obviously can maintain this consistency and perform each day on a very high level.

Q. Can you talk about how you're feeling after that first set. Was there any frustration?
NADIA PETROVA: Oh, there was definitely frustration. Really had hard time keeping my shots in the court. I had 33 unforced errors in that first opening set. Even though I was trying to go for the shots, trying to be a little bit more aggressive, but just couldn't find the court with the balls.
My serve hasn't been a weapon as well, you know. So it was kind of like -- it wasn't a good opening set, obviously.

Q. When you see she has an injury to her back, how much does the game plan change? Are you hitting different shots?
NADIA PETROVA: Yeah, definitely. I mean, it definitely helped me to get my focus back, get my head together. I saw she had difficulties moving. So that was my first goal: keep her on the run, make her stretch, use my serve as a weapon, try to win as many free shots as possible, then put pressure on her serve, try to be a little bit more aggressive so she has to come up with the amazing shot.

Q. What a difference a year makes from here. You lose in the first round last year, now you're playing in the finals.
NADIA PETROVA: That's the beautiful thing about tennis. You know, every week there is a new opportunity.
You know, I don't like looking back, what happened last year. That absolutely has nothing to do with this present time, so I try to just make the best out of it.

Q. Can you talk about taking advantage of the opportunity you got at the last second to get into this tournament.
NADIA PETROVA: It's amazing. I got a phone call from Anne late Friday afternoon. I was still in Montréal just about to leave hotel and fly to New York. My focus was on a good preparation and practice there. Then suddenly I received a phone call from her. She offered me that last wild card.
It was just a great gift in that moment. I got very happy. I'm sure my team was also very excited to come here and play an extra tournament before the Open.

Q. First final since '08.
NADIA PETROVA: Has it been that long ago?

Q. Do you feel you're playing better tennis?
NADIA PETROVA: I've played a decent tennis throughout those years. I've had good wins. But just maybe I was a little bit out of luck. I lost a couple tough three-setters. You know, maybe whatever happens now just pays off the hard work that I've been putting in, no matter if I didn't have a good results.

Q. Looking to the final, let's say it was Elena you were to play, you lost to her the last five times.
NADIA PETROVA: Right (smiling).

Q. What do you do to turn that around? How do you look ahead to playing another Russian?
NADIA PETROVA: Oh, it doesn't absolutely bother me. You know, I've already learned to deal with this extra pressure. I take it as another match. I don't try to think who's on the other side of the net. Just take it as another opponent.
I'm really focused on my best weapons. If it is gonna happen that it's Dementieva, I'll just really have to be aggressive and don't give her a chance to come back in those rallies because she's a great defensive player. When she gets into this kind of hit-and-run momentum, she's unbeatable, everything is coming back. I have to keep my points short and be aggressive.

Q. If it is Caroline, she won the last two years, she won the two matches you played out of the three on hard court.
NADIA PETROVA: Right. Uhm, I've lost two times already this year to Caroline. So I'm really looking forward to that next meeting. I know the mistakes that I've done. I'm really gonna try to do my best to come with a better strategy, better preparation for that match.

Q. Is it easy to put to one side the fact that she's won here the last two years and is obviously extremely comfortable in the conditions, the crowd, the court surface?
NADIA PETROVA: You know, it's great to advance to the final. I'm sure when it happens to the player, they get to the final, for example me, I go out there, I try to have a good time, I try to give everything I have left and make sure that the crowd gets a good match, that it's entertaining for them. It's like give it all, give it all.
If I'm able to do that, you know, win or lose, I'm still happy.

Q. At Indian Wells you were really in the lead against Wozniacki and seemed to get very angry with yourself at that point.
NADIA PETROVA: Well, I dropped the first opening set quite easily also with a lot of unforced errors. I was able to win the second set quite easily playing the right game. Then, you know, she broke my momentum a little bit. She took a bathroom break. She took quite a long time when she came back. I felt like I was a little rushing. I completely lost the timing and the feeling of the game.

Q. You've played your best tennis this year in the slams, wins over Clijsters and Venus. Is there something as you get older that makes it easier for you to get more motivated for those matches?
NADIA PETROVA: Definitely I'm looking forward to play those matches. I don't play, unfortunately, enough these kind of matches in smaller tournaments. So it's a great opportunity to really push yourself to the limit against those players. It does happen at the Grand Slam.
I enjoy playing the slams because you feel this kind of extra buzz, this extra pressure. You feel this kind of difference between any other tournaments. I really like that kind of match situation, playing in the big stadium. I'm always trying to do my best there.

End of FastScripts

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #18
country flag rucolo

New Haven, Final:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=65881

Quote:
August 28, 2010

Nadia Petrova

NEW HAVEN, CONNECTICUT

C. WOZNIACKI/N. Petrova
6-3, 3-6, 6-3

Q. You had to fight from behind all day long. Almost got there, but not quite.
NADIA PETROVA: Yes, that's true. All day long. It's been a good match.
I'm happy by reaching the final here. If my back would have been okay in the beginning of the third set, maybe the set would have been closer and I'd have maybe chance to really challenge her, maybe win the title. Unfortunately didn't happen.
I'm very happy I got my practice matches. Now my focus is on the US Open.

Q. What happened to your back? Tweak it a little bit?
NADIA PETROVA: Yeah, I tweaked it a little bit. I think one of the spinal segments just got stuck and I just couldn't rotate.

Q. You had 12 aces in the match. She was still able to break you. Neither of you seemed to be able to hold a serve in the second set.
NADIA PETROVA: She's returning really well, even though I'm throwing aces in each single game. You know, when it gets to the rallies, she's tough to beat.

Q. How do you feel heading into the Open after a long week of challenging matches?
NADIA PETROVA: Very happy. I feel like I got my matches. I've done a four-week preparation in July. I'm just ready. I'm just looking forward to that.

Q. Can you talk about the confidence in your hard court game. You said because you played so few matches, that's kind of what you were looking for.
NADIA PETROVA: Exactly. Exactly. You know, I think I'm ready. I don't see anything for holding me back.

Q. Can you talk about what makes her so challenging to play, what about her game gives you trouble?
NADIA PETROVA: She has this incredible depth in her shots and very good placement of the ball. You know, even though she's on the run, she scoops the ball, throws a very high lob, then the ball just bounces like a foot off the baseline. It's really tough to step in and take this shot out of the air. Then you have to kind of start the rally again.
She's very good on defensive. Even though my game was trying to step in and try to go to the net, but she didn't give me so many opportunities to do so.

Q. What do you think about this tournament, organization, compared with other tournaments? What can you say about it?
NADIA PETROVA: Well, it's a smaller tournament compared to any others. But I think we have everything we need here. Especially, you know, before a big slam coming up, we have plenty of courts to practice. We have a great stadium. The crowd is coming to cheer for us.
I mean, you've got all the facilities here from the Yale University. It's a great place to be, just an hour and a half drive from New York.

Q. What will you take away from this tournament that you didn't bring with you? What skills do you think you gained here?
NADIA PETROVA: Gained? If I gained anything, I wish (laughter).
Hmm, I think what I've gained is definitely the confidence because I've really had a tough hard court season. My confidence was a little bit on the floor when I came to play this tournament. But now I'm back in my shoes. I'm happy. I'm excited to play the Open. I feel like, you know, I'm ready for it.

Q. So this was good preparation?
NADIA PETROVA: It was a very good preparation for me.

Q. Can you tell us what changed in the match between the first and second set that nobody could hold serve.
NADIA PETROVA: Maybe we both fatigued a little bit. She played a lot of matches. I had five matches also in this week. When you get a little tired, the first thing which goes is your concentration. You know, it's really hard to keep on focusing and doing the same motion over and over again.
I think it's just the fatigue factor kicked in.

Q. Caroline mentioned the sun was tricky out there. Did you have trouble with that?
NADIA PETROVA: With the sun, yes, especially when she would throw those defensive lobs. So many times bounced right in the sun spot. I was losing the balls completely. I've been miss-hitting a lot of shots today because of that.

Q. The back injury slow you down a step, half a step? Did it make a difference in the third?
NADIA PETROVA: It made a big difference. It made me lose my service game and gave her a 2-Love lead. I mean, if I would just hold my serve until the end of the third set, anything could have happened.

Q. Was it in this match that the back was bothering you?
NADIA PETROVA: It just happened sudden. I started feeling something in the first game of the third set. When I went to serve, I felt like I could not rotate at all. I got stuck completely.

Q. You expect to be fine for the Open?
NADIA PETROVA: I'm absolutely fine. The physio helped me a lot. She came and she manipulate my back and I was absolutely free to play afterwards.

Q. You were serving at 1-4 in the third.
NADIA PETROVA: How you like my service game (laughter)?

Q. Ever happen before?
NADIA PETROVA: No, that never happen to me. Wish I could do that more often. Save me a little bit of energy (smiling).

End of FastScripts

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #19
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
17-NADIA PETROVA VS. ANDREA PETKOVIC

The veteran Petrova is well known to US Open fans, as she's banged her way to the second week on four occasions and has been a consistent top-20 force since 2003.

The smart Petkovic isn't quite there yet, but the outspoken German is a bit of a sensation in the Twitter world and has put up some decent results this year, reaching the final of 's-Hertogenbosch and the semis of Istanbul. Petrova is coming off a strong run to the final of New Haven, rarely chokes and is problematic for anyone when she scalding the ball off the ground. But the 28-year-old can also go into funks at times and doesn't appear as motivated as she once was.

Hard-core fans who show up on site know that this is one of the must-see women's matches of the day. Petkovic, 23, has a lot more to prove than Petrova does and would love to take out a seed at a Slam, but as smart as she appears off court, her game is somewhat limited, and unless Petrova comes in limping, the Russian will figure her out and come through in three sets.
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/art...042375261.html
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #20
country flag Bероника

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

Nadia will team up again with Liezel Huber next season according to this article:

Quote:
This also isn't a bad time for personnel changes. Huber has a new team, including a new trainer, Jodi Coleman, and new coach, her husband, who coached her until 2008. Huber, who split with her longtime doubles partner this year, also said she would team with Russian Nadia Petrova next year. (They're preparing separately during the offseason and meeting in Sydney for their first tournament together next year.)
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenni...wta-tour_N.htm
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #21
country flag Scola

Scola has much to be proud of Scola has much to be proud of Scola has much to be proud of Scola has much to be proud of Scola has much to be proud of Scola has much to be proud of Scola has much to be proud of Scola has much to be proud of Scola has much to be proud of Scola has much to be proud of Scola has much to be proud of

Nadia ended her cooperation with Vlado Platenik recently

http://www.tenisinfo.cz/index.php?a=art&id=6088 (source)

actually this article sounds very pesimistic about their preparation together, so not sure what to except from Nadia on the beginning of new season. Hope it's not that bad and she will found someone else to work with quickly...
Scola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM   #22
country flag Bероника

Nadia's South Beach Experience

MIAMI, FL, USA - Russian star Nadia Petrova visited South Beach's Lincoln Road, which is famous for its restaurants, shopping and nightlife, on Monday as part of a Dubai Duty Free series that focuses on various WTA players in their travels around the globe.

Petrova, who has a bye as the 18th seed at the Sony Ericsson Open, shared her thoughts on the tournament, Miami and other subjects.

On her best memories from the Sony Ericsson Open, where she's been a semifinalist once and a quarterfinalist three times: "My favorite year would be the year I got to the semifinals, 2004. I also won the doubles that year with Meghann Shaughnessy. I've had many good years here. Of course, there are ups and downs and some disappointments where I lost in the early rounds. Regardless, I always enjoy coming here. Not only the tournament, but just being in Miami itself."

On her draw this year: "I play the winner of Sabine Lisicki and Melinda Czink. Both are very tough opponents who are coming back from injuries, so you never know what to expect in that circumstance. You have to be ready to play at your highest level here even for your opening match because of the caliber of opponents at this tournament."

On playing doubles in Miami with Liezel Huber: "It's one of the biggest tournaments, so we're hoping to have a good result here. We committed to play together for the full season and we're hoping to qualify for the Championships in Istanbul."

On recently becoming a resident of South Florida: "I'm enjoying it very much. The area has so much to offer. There's Lincoln Road. There's South Beach. If you want to have quiet time and be by the water, you can go to Sunny Isles, where they have gorgeous beaches. There's great shopping and things you can to outdoor year-round because of the weather. It's enjoyable for me coming back from all the crazy tournaments and traveling to get to refresh my batteries in a nice, quiet environment."

On Lincoln Road: "This is the best time of the year to be here. There's so many things going on, like when they close the streets down for food and art festivals. There are lots of great places to go and exciting nightlife."

On her new website, petrovadreamteam.com, which launches on Tuesday: "We want to make it really entertaining and provide a lot of information to give my fans a chance to really get to know me. It took a long time to perfect it, so I'm excited about it."

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/OffCou...321575,00.html
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 08:32 PM   #23
country flag rucolo

Article about Nadia`s career title #10:

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201107...256076_2406662

Quote:
Petrova Defeats Peer, Wins 10th WTA Title

July 31, 2011
COLLEGE PARK, MD, USA - It was a dream ending for the Citi Open, with the Top 2 seeds in the final. And this time the No.2 seed finished No.1, as Nadia Petrova got past Shahar Peer to win her first title in almost three years.

Petrova, now 29, had been one of the top players on the WTA for most of the last decade, winning nine WTA titles and going as high as No.3 in the world in 2006. She began 2011 at No.15 but after a dismal first half of the year - which included a lengthy battle with vertigo - she found herself down at No.37 in June.

"Before Miami I had vertigo for six weeks. It knocked me off my feet," she said. "I couldn't defend my points in the clay court season and felt a little down. I wasn't in a happy place, but Wimbledon was a turning point for me."

After reaching the fourth round of Wimbledon, which marked an amazing 20th time reaching the second week of a Grand Slam, the momentum swung. She came to College Park swinging away on her huge serve, groundstrokes and net game, taking her first three matches in straight sets and, despite losing the first set of her semifinal with Irina Falconi, rebounding for a 16 61 63 win.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the draw, Peer was also finding her range again. She was on a five-match losing streak coming into the tournament but put together an almost identical run to Petrova in reaching the final - three straight set wins before a three-setter in the semifinals, as she battled over three hours to get past No.3 seed Tamira Paszek on a blazing Saturday, 36 76(2) 64.

Sunday was Petrova's day, however. Having never lost in five previous meetings with the 24-year-old Israeli she made it 6-0 with a 75 62 win, losing the first two games of both sets before getting her aggressive but very clean tennis going.

"I knew Shahar wasn't able to hurt me with her serve, especially her second serve, so even though I was broken early in each set I knew I could turn it around," Petrova said. "I'm happy with my record against her. And today was an important match, going for the title - all I had in my mind was to fight for every point and at the end of the day walk away with the beautiful trophy."

Petrova now has 10 WTA titles to her name, this being her first since winning Québec City in 2008. "Tennis is improving each year," the Russian added. "I've been in a few finals since then but was losing to some very good players. I was waiting for this one patiently - I'm very happy to finally have my 10th title."

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:27 PM   #24
country flag rucolo

http://www.petrovadreamteam.com/blog/message-my-fans

Quote:
A message to my fans

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've had time to check in and fill you all on what's been going on with me. I've been struggling with Vertigo since March which had a huge impact on my game and ranking this summer. I truly didn't start to feel like myself again until Wimbledon and slowly, I've been getting back in the groove. I truly appreciate all the support and patience you've all had. I feel bad when I can't be myself and give my fans a good match on the court.Fortunately things are way better and it's showing. To get you up to date, I recently got myself a puppy when I returned from London. She's a beautiful Frenchie who has changed my life and given me more reasons to smile. I want to travel with her a bit but I've had to be patient since she doesn't have all of her shots yet.I know I've been getting many calls and emails about my recent match to Samantha in NYC. It was a grueling 3 hours and 16 minutes and definitely a tough one. Matches like those are hard when you lose but when know you left it all on the court, you need to let it go keeping in mind that it's part of playing tennis.I will do my best and continue to work hard for the remainder of the season. I will also try and update you more on my blog. My team is working on having some new fun stuff coming on my website soon so stay tuned. It's been a full year of hard work on revamping the entire site so I hope you won't be disappointed. Take care and enjoy the rest of your summer.Til' next time..Nadia
Nadia is so sweet!

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #25
country flag Tomic

Tomic is a name known to all Tomic is a name known to all Tomic is a name known to all Tomic is a name known to all Tomic is a name known to all Tomic is a name known to all Tomic is a name known to all Tomic is a name known to all Tomic is a name known to all Tomic is a name known to all Tomic is a name known to all

Moscow-Florida Living

Q: You were born in Moscow but live in South Florida. Do you return to Moscow often?

A: I probably visit three times a year to parents, working on my Florida house, so as soon as it is finished I will have my parents coming over to spend time with me, especially in the winter months.

When you are in Florida, what do you still miss about Moscow?

What I miss the most is summer months, going out in nature, swimming in the lakes, barbeques, picking berries
and mushrooms. And of course my mom’s home cooking.

Russia makes me think of novelists like Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. Do you like their works?

My favorite so far is War and Peace.

Olympic Games

How has Russia developed such strong women tennis players?

It’s a tough question. I think it’s just the hard environment that we grew up in. We all wanted to have a better life, and we saw a great possibility in sport overall. Tennis was still kind of new, and there was a huge wave of new players
at the same time, so there was huge competition. The competition helped a lot because we all wanted to be on the Fed Cup team, the Olympic team and also be the No. 1 Russian player. Alisa Kleybanova said that the Olympics
are maybe more important to her than a Slam.

Are you gunning for the 2012 Olympics?

I would still prefer to win a Slam, but the Olympics are only every four years. This is something that is very personal for each Russian player. It means a lot to win Olympics because then you are kind of set for life in the country.

Do you have a goal to play in the 2012 Games?

I’m looking forward to them. It’s going to be tough in singles. I’m working to bring my ranking back, and if it’s not
going to be possible in singles, I think I have a pretty good shot at doubles.

Grand Slam Desire

Do you still feel that same competitive spirit or has it diminished?

Of course over the years it has diminished a little bit.

Do you know that there are currently only five active players with more wins than you?

I actually don’t think about it at all. I take it one match at a time because you know tennis has become so tough, the
first round might be as tough as the final so you really have to dig in. I don’t keep a count of matches, head-to-head
with other players. I just really try to work on court and focus on winning.

So you leave the counting up to your fans and the media?

Exactly.

Reflecting on 2011, Francesca Schiavone and Li Na won their first Grand Slam at the age you are right now, 29. What
has changed on the Tour that has helped the older more mature players have success?

The mature players have so much experience. They know how to deal with days when things aren’t going their way; they know how to keep their heads cool.

You’ve had a great career. What more do you want to accomplish?

I’m quite happy with my results, with my ranking. I’ve maintained a pretty consistent spot in the top 20. The only thing that I’m missing, and I really dream to achieve before I retire the sport, is to win a Slam.

So, is winning a Slam is your main goal for the next couple of years?

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m working on right now.
Tomic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 01:20 PM   #26
country flag rucolo

http://www.memphistennis.com/news/story-144

Quote:
Q&A WITH NADIA PETROVA

The Russian veteran plans a breakthrough

BY CHRIS ODDO

Moscow-Florida Living

Q: You were born in Moscow but live in South Florida. Do you return to Moscow often?

A: I probably visit three times a year to parents, working on my Florida house, so as soon as it is finished I will have my parents coming over to spend time with me, especially in the winter months.

When you are in Florida, what do you still miss about Moscow?

What I miss the most is summer months, going out in nature, swimming in the lakes, barbeques, picking berries
and mushrooms. And of course my mom’s home cooking.

Russia makes me think of novelists like Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. Do you like their works?

My favorite so far is War and Peace.

Olympic Games

How has Russia developed such strong women tennis players?

It’s a tough question. I think it’s just the hard environment that we grew up in. We all wanted to have a better life, and we saw a great possibility in sport overall. Tennis was still kind of new, and there was a huge wave of new players at the same time, so there was huge competition. The competition helped a lot because we all wanted to be on the Fed Cup team, the Olympic team and also be the No. 1 Russian player. Alisa Kleybanova said that the Olympics
are maybe more important to her than a Slam.

Are you gunning for the 2012 Olympics?

I would still prefer to win a Slam, but the Olympics are only every four years. This is something that is very personal for each Russian player. It means a lot to win Olympics because then you are kind of set for life in the country.

Do you have a goal to play in the 2012 Games?

I’m looking forward to them. It’s going to be tough in singles. I’m working to bring my ranking back, and if it’s not
going to be possible in singles, I think I have a pretty good shot at doubles.

Grand Slam Desire

Do you know that there are currently only five active players with more wins than you?

I actually don’t think about it at all. I take it one match at a time because you know tennis has become so tough, the
first round might be as tough as the final so you really have to dig in. I don’t keep a count of matches, head-to-head
with other players. I just really try to work on court and focus on winning.

Exactly.

Reflecting on 2011, Francesca Schiavone and Li Na won their first Grand Slam at the age you are right now, 29. What
has changed on the Tour that has helped the older more mature players have success?

The mature players have so much experience. They know how to deal with days when things aren’t going their way; they know how to keep their heads cool.

You’ve had a great career. What more do you want to accomplish?

I’m quite happy with my results, with my ranking. I’ve maintained a pretty consistent spot in the top 20. The only thing that I’m missing, and I really dream to achieve before I retire the sport, is to win a Slam.

So, is winning a Slam is your main goal for the next couple of years?

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m working on right now.
Interesting interview

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM   #27
country flag rucolo

Quote:

Knew it

Quote:

Exactly.

Quote:
The only thing that I’m missing, and I really dream to achieve before I retire the sport, is to win a Slam.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #28
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201203...256076_2656554

Quote:
Petrova Ousts Stosur, Eyes Return To Elite

March 12, 2012
INDIAN WELLS, CA, USA - On an electric night last September, Samantha Stosur and Nadia Petrova played the longest recorded women's match in US Open history, Stosur scoring a 76(5) 67(5) 75 win in three hours, 16 minutes. The memory of that still fresh in her mind, Petrova got her revenge on Monday.

For two hours and 46 minutes, No.6 seed Stosur and No.30 seed Petrova put their aggressive games on display for the Indian Wells crowd, Petrova coming out particularly strong with a 30-minute, 6-1 first set. The Russian looked headed for a straight set win as she built a 3-1 lead in the second set, served for the match at 5-4 and even held match point in the tie-break - but Stosur stood strong each time, eventually grinding through to a third and deciding set.

Stosur twice broke in that third set but Petrova retaliated each time, and in the end the former World No.3 was just too tough for the former World No.4, completing a 61 67(6) 76(5) upset. She fired a total of 15 aces in the match.

"After that loss in New York it was hard," Petrova said. "I wanted to turn everything around. I wanted to win and walk off the court with a W.

"I don't really think I played unbelievable in the first set. My composure was perfect though. I took the time, no errors, and I must say Sam didn't play her best. She was framing balls, not really putting a lot of first serves in - so that actually helped me get the lead in the match, then she picked up her game in the middle of the second set. That's when she started to play Sam's game.

"On match point in the tie-break Sam served unbelievable right on the line. There was nothing I could have done. Then it was a tough battle in the third set."

Petrova has had a glittering career - 10 WTA titles, another 11 WTA finals and some sensational results at the Slams, including two semifinals (both at the French Open); but last year was her first non-Top 20 season since 2002. As she approaches her 30th birthday this year, can the Russian join the growing group of veteran players making breakthroughs, or re-breakthroughs?

"I want to get back into the Top 10. That would be great," she said. "I have been out of that category of players already for a couple of years. It would be a nice thing for me to challenge the new players like, let's say Kvitova, or Azarenka. They're all young, full of energy, hungry for titles and hungry to be No.1.

"I do feel like I'm pushing towards the end of my career, but I know I still have a couple good years left, so I want to maximize myself and give it my all.

"I want to say I have done it all with no regrets."

Though being ranked in the 30s is a dream for most tennis players, for Petrova it is somewhat of a low - she was asked about her slight slide in the rankings. "I have been fine," she explained. "I didn't have that many injuries, except I just had vertigo last year for six weeks right in the middle of the season, which actually did throw me off completely with my physical preparation and match play - that was tough to get back into the season. But now I feel much better. I'm healthy and looking forward to playing as many matches as possible."
Great win, Nadia!

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM   #29
country flag rucolo

http://www.wtatennis.com/doublesnews...256567_2709235

Quote:
Kirilenko & Petrova Crowned In Doubles

MIAMI, FL, USA - Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova captured their third and biggest doubles title together at the Sony Ericsson Open on Sunday afternoon, then donned some unique headgear to celebrate the Premier-level triumph.

Kirilenko and Petrova, who had a 2-0 career record in WTA finals together - at Cincinnati in 2008 and Moscow in 2009 - improved their perfect finals record to 3-0 with a 76(0) 46 104 win over Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci, lifting their game when it mattered most, saving a set point down 5-4 in the first set then winning the breaker at love, and of course playing a sharp match tie-break.

"It was a great week for us to be able to win the title here at the Sony Ericsson Open," said Kirilenko, who bounces back into the Top 10 in doubles after the Premier victory. "We are working hard to try to get to the Olympics. It's nice to win such a great tournament like this, especially playing with Nadia."

"It was my third final here - the last two were quite painful, I believe last year we were even serving for the match," Petrova said after the match. "It has been a very long two weeks but now I'm going to head to Charleston with a good feeling, with excitement, with a good motivation to do well there too."

Kirilenko now has 11 WTA doubles titles to her name, Petrova now a clean 20 - and that's not where the milestones ended for the 29-year-old Petrova, who surpassed the $10 million career prize money mark, the 24th player in WTA history to do so (and sixth Russian, after Maria Sharapova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Elena Dementieva, Vera Zvonareva and Dinara Safina).

Kirilenko and Petrova celebrated their win with bunny ears (see photo).

"That was actually a dare from Maria," Petrova explained to reporters. "She purchased them like a week ago and said, 'Right, if we win this tournament, we have to put them on right away on the court.' We were already so excited last night - we stayed in separate hotels and put the ears on, taking pictures of ourselves and sending them to each other, both of us all excited for today.

"We were really motivated to win this tournament, because we've been playing well together but didn't have a title for a while really. We knew if we played our game today against Vinci and Errani, we could hopefully end up winning it.

"We were very solid in the super tie-breaker and then, of course, we were obviously excited to wear those ears."
WTA doubles title #20

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM   #30
country flag Bероника

Quote:
The only other seed to take the court on Day 1 had the opposite experience, as No.7 seed Nadia Petrova routed Portuguese wildcard Barbara Luz, 60 61.
"It was a good start. I hadn't played a match on red clay until this event," Petrova said. "This was a perfect warm-up match for me. Tomorrow I'm playing doubles and practicing, and getting ready for my second round match."
Having gone 3-5 on hardcourts to start the year, Petrova is now 4-1 on clay. The former No.3 has had some of her best career results on this surface, her two best Grand Slam results, two semifinals, both coming at Roland Garros.
"I'm just trying to keep improving and winning matches," Petrova said. "I'm happy I'm still around, that I'm 30 in a month and am still willing to give it my best and work hard. Anything can happen. I believe strongly that as long as I stay healthy, there's a good chance for me to get back to the Top 10."
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/201204...256076_2755437