Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1 - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #121
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all
Re: Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
I would estimate about 90% of the college tennis assistants are part time or grad assistants.
That is true across the board (Division 1, 2, and 3) but at the major Division 1 programs like Notre Dame and Washington, the assistant coach makes more than most head coaches at other schools.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 30th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #122
country flag Tenniswish

Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice

Coastal Carolina hires former University of South Carolina player and graduate (2003) Catherine Hewitt as new head coach.

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/w-...072911aac.html
Tenniswish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 03:12 AM   #123
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
San Jose State hires Sylvain Malroux

San Jose, Calif.-----Sylvain Malroux, the University of Nevada women's tennis coach the last six seasons, is the new San Jose State University women's tennis head coach. Marie Tuite, the Spartans' deputy director of athletics, made the announcement.

Malroux's teams compiled a 76-57 win-loss dual match record. Five of his six teams had winning records. Each Wolf Pack squad reached the semifinal round of the annual Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Tournament.

Two of his teams were nationally ranked in a final Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) ranking. The 2009 team was ranked 65th and sixth in the Northwest region and the 2007 squad was 66th nationally.

His players earned eight first-team and nine second-team All-WAC honors, two Freshman of the Year awards and 34 academic All-WAC designations.

"Sylvain stood out in a very competitive applicant pool for our head coaching position. He has been successful in every tennis venture he has undertaken as a player, assistant coach and head coach. He is a proven recruiter with well-established recruiting contacts all over the world. We're looking to Sylvain taking San Jose State tennis to new heights," says Tuite.

Malroux doubled as the University of Nevada men's team head coach for the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

"I want to thank (athletics director) Tom Bowen, and Marie Tuite and John Poch of his staff for this opportunity to be San Jose State's new coach," says Malroux, a native of Aurillac, a city in south central France nearly 350 miles from Paris. "I am extremely excited to be a part of this program and am certain that we will take the Spartan tennis team to a new level."

"We are going to work really hard and focus on recruiting top student-athletes. We want student-athletes that want to play as a team, players who get excited about competing and improving, and want to get an education at a great university. I believe with this we can become very competitive and compete for a WAC championship quickly."

He began his American college coaching career at Clemson University in 2001 as an assistant coach. The Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) named Malroux the Division I Southeast Region Assistant Coach of the Year in 2003 and 2004. In four seasons, the Tigers competed in the NCAA Championships each year and reached the Final Four in 2004 and 2005. Clemson was ranked in the top-20 in the final ITA national poll in 2003 (19th), 2004 (5th) and 2005 (10th).

The 2004 Clemson graduate also has higher education State Diplomas from his native country. He played his college tennis at Anderson College in South Carolina. There, he was the 49th-ranked NCAA Division II singles player and 18th in doubles as a senior at the end of the 2001 season.

Before coming to the United States, Malroux trained at the French Federation Sports-Etudes - the number-one school for elite French athletes. As a coach in his native country, he was instrumental developing top players in France and Corsica and worked with the French Federation and the French Army.

Malroux replaces Anh-Dao Nguyen-Church, who now is San Jose State's director of operations for Olympic sports after serving 19 seasons as the women's tennis head coach.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 05:03 AM   #124
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Melissa Schaub is Ohio State's new assistant coach.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...081711aaa.html

Melissa Schaub, who spent the last five years on the coaching staff at Middle Tennessee State, has joined the Ohio State women's tennis program as an assistant coach, Buckeye head coach Chuck Merzbacher announced Wednesday. Schaub, a standout at the University of Tennessee, was an assistant coach for the Blue Raiders for four seasons before she was named head coach in August 2010.

"We are thrilled to announce Melissa Schaub will be joining our staff," Merzbacher said. "She comes from a tennis family, she has played at the highest levels collegiately and has been an assistant and head coach at a Division I school. Melissa brings a wealth of knowledge and passion for the game that will benefit our student-athletes each and every day. I look forward to working with her as we continue to build on the tennis tradition we have."

Schaub, a Lexington, Ohio, native, is excited to get her tenure with the Scarlet and Gray started.

"I could not be happier about this opportunity," Schaub said. "To be a Buckeye and coach at this university is extremely exciting and I am very honored. I have the utmost respect for Coach Merzbacher and the program he has run and developed here. I look forward to getting started and building on the already excellent tradition this program stands for."

Schaub played four years for the Volunteers (2003-06) and was an All-American and second team All-SEC selection as a freshman, finishing the year ranked sixth nationally. She struggled with injuries her sophomore and junior campaigns but posted 25 dual-match doubles wins. As a senior, Schaub played at Nos. 2 and 3 singles before moving into the top position in early April where she went 3-0 in the SEC tournament. She posted 70 career doubles wins to rank in the Top 10 in program history and was ranked 44th in the NCAA in doubles her senior campaign. Schaub was a member of the SEC Good Works Team and SEC Academic Honor Roll as a senior.

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #125
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Auburn women's coach resigned in mid August

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/...081611aaa.html
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #126
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Rumor has it the Auburn coach was forced out after players' parents complained about his "leadership" style.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #127
country flag form

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
Rumor has it the Auburn coach was forced out after players' parents complained about his "leadership" style.
Interesting... would make sense on two fronts. I had heard that he was one of those that was into 6am swim and lifting work outs then afternoon practice. The word 'weird' was used but I had never met that man. Also the timing; for a coach to just quit now seems odd but if the administration was either conducting a review OR the administration came back with a set of criteria for the future and the coach felt he could not lead under that sort of structure than a last summer departure makes sense. Of course, there are other options (health, better financial option outside college coaching, etc...).
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #128
country flag johnnytennis

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Interesting... would make sense on two fronts. I had heard that he was one of those that was into 6am swim and lifting work outs then afternoon practice. The word 'weird' was used but I had never met that man. Also the timing; for a coach to just quit now seems odd but if the administration was either conducting a review OR the administration came back with a set of criteria for the future and the coach felt he could not lead under that sort of structure than a last summer departure makes sense. Of course, there are other options (health, better financial option outside college coaching, etc...).
When a coach is aloud up to 20 hours a week to practice, how do you have the time to go swimming and lift at 6am? ...Unless you are doing it on your own time.
johnnytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #129
country flag 10sE

I'm not saying it's right or wrong to coach them "like boys" with the early-morning workout stuff, but I think that in this day and age it takes a special kind of coach to pull that off.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #130
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Not sure if it has been reported yet but former Cal tennis player, Christina Fusano is now the assistant coach at UC Davis.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #131
country flag form

Similar note, former UC Riverside player Erynne Oki is now the assistant at UC Irvine.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #132
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
Not sure if it has been reported yet but former Cal tennis player, Christina Fusano is now the assistant coach at UC Davis.
UCD doubles could get loads better!

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #133
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Tulsa asst coach change; Kelcy Tefft of ND -> Kali Krisik of ND

Tefft becomes asst coach of her alma mater.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM   #134
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

http://twitter.com/#!/txcollege10s
Quote:
txcollege10s: SMU women's coach Lauren Longbotham Meisner has taken the job at Auburn, vacated when Tim Gray resigned last week. effective immediately
Quote:
txcollege10s: I'll post more on this development later
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #135
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Guillaume Tonelli named Nevada interim coach

Tonelli Named Interim Head Women's Tennis Coach

Former Nevada Standout Takes Over Women's Program

RENO, Nev. – Former University of Nevada tennis standout Guillaume Tonelli has been named the interim head women’s tennis coach, Director of Athletics Cary Groth announced Tuesday.

Tonelli replaces Sylvain Malroux, who recently left Nevada to become the head women’s tennis coach at San Jose State University. Malroux compiled a 76-57 record at Nevada, saw two of his teams earn Intercollegiate Tennis Association national rankings and coached 17 all-conference selections and 34 academic all-conference honorees.

“We want to thank Sylvain for all of his efforts in helping to raise the profile of Nevada women’s tennis. Heading to San Jose State is the right move for Sylvain and his family, and we wish him the best of luck,” Groth said.

“We are tremendously excited to have Guillaume, a former Wolf Pack student-athlete, at the helm of our women’s tennis program. Guillaume was a highly successful student and athlete at Nevada and we are confident that he will build on the foundation that has been set and take Nevada women’s tennis to a higher level.” Groth said.

After his two-year playing career with the Nevada men's tennis team, Tonelli had spent the last four seasons under Malroux, helping both the men’s and women’s teams.

“I am excited for the opportunity to be the interim women’s tennis coach,” Tonelli said. “Being a part of this program is something that I have always cherished.”

During his playing career with the Wolf Pack, Tonelli won 30 singles matches and 15 doubles matches. He went 15-10 in singles play as a junior in 2005-06 and then recorded a 15-14 record as a senior in 2006-07. Despite playing in the program for only two years, Tonelli ranks 11th all-time in Nevada in career singles victories, a spot he shares with former men's coach Chad Stoloff.

“I want to expand the reach of tennis as a whole in the Reno-Tahoe area,” Tonelli said. “It is my goal to make the community an integral part of the Nevada tennis program.”

A native of Valenciennes, France, Tonelli started his collegiate career at Tyler (Texas) Junior College in where he won nationals in 2003-04 and finished second the following year. He was an Academic All-American both years at Tyler and was a two-time Academic All-WAC selection at Nevada.

Tonelli graduated from the University of Nevada in 2008 with his bachelor’s degree in international business and a minor in economics.

He also earned his master’s in business administration from Nevada in 2011.

Nevada will conduct a national search to fill the position on a permanent basis this spring.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote