Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1 - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #106
country flag form

form has disabled reputation
Re: AM hires Howard Joffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Well we knew Texas A&M was likely going to poach another school's coach.

I guess this is a good pairing. A school looking to steal another's coach hires someone who's quick to jump ship. Joffe 2 years at Miami-Ohio then jumps ship, followed by 2 years at Maryland before jumping ship again.

After Joffe jumped ship at Miami-Ohio his #1 player Monica Gorney also jumped ship. It will be interesting to see if any of Joffe's Maryland players will jump ship next.
You gotta be kidding. Get some

In the Mr. Agenda world, there are the following coaching options:
a) Poach a good coach
b) Hire a bad coach who was fired elsewhere
c) Promote the inexperienced assistant
d) Bring in someone with no experience who has never been a college coach

You don't know why Gorney left? Why does it matter? Or why is it that you believe all kids should stay at a school without question even if they are burned out or want less pressure? .... just like you have issue with coaches that would dismiss underperforming or undisciplined kids?

What are your thoughts on the biggest flop in Big West history (UCI women 2000) and then their nationally ranked star transferring to USC? Nevermind... I can guess.

Do you have the same issue with non-coaches in general life leaving current employment to accept a new opportunity elsewhere or is your current accusation limited to just tennis coaches?

It's a very good hire of a coach who has done well with underachieving programs. It's a step up coaching wise to a program with INCREDIBLE facilities, outdoor tennis most of the year and much bigger budget for tennis. Poaching? Jumping ship? Too bad you can't get sued for slander based on this junk you type.

Mindboggling ... but then again.... I need to consider the source.

1-14-1*
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #107
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AM hires Howard Joffe

Quote:
Well we knew Texas A&M was likely going to poach another school's coach.

I guess this is a good pairing. A school looking to steal another's coach hires someone who's quick to jump ship. Joffe 2 years at Miami-Ohio then jumps ship, followed by 2 years at Maryland before jumping ship again.

After Joffe jumped ship at Miami-Ohio his #1 player Monica Gorney also jumped ship. It will be interesting to see if any of Joffe's Maryland players will jump ship next.
I've heard that some (it could be one but I wouldn't be surprised if it were more than 1) are either planning/wanting to leave or have already.

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #108
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Damon Coupe Named Cal Poly Head Coach

Published Jul 19th, by Chris Giovannetti

SAN LUIS OBISPO – Damon Coupe, who helped lead perennial national power Washington to four successive NCAA Championships appearances as associate head coach, was named by Cal Poly Director of Athletics Don Oberhelman as head coach of the Mustang women’s tennis program on Tuesday morning. Coupe succeeds Hugh Bream (2001-11), who retired in June after posting a 133-89 mark in dual matches and guiding Cal Poly to the 2003 and 2011 NCAA Championships.

“I'm excited to welcome Damon Coupe to the Mustang family. When determining what characteristics we needed in a new head coach, we had to look no further than our retiring head coach, Hugh Bream,” Oberhelman said of Coupe. “Damon and Hugh share the same expectations of athletic and academic excellence and providing student-athletes with a first-class Division I experience. I have no doubt that the women’s tennis program will accomplish great things under Damon's leadership.”

During his time with Washington (2007-11), Coupe helped transform a program on the periphery of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings into a squad that reached as high as No. 23 in 2010. Coupe, who oversaw the development of All-America selections Denise Dy and Venise Chan, earned ITA National Assistant Coach of the Year and Northwest Region Assistant Coach of the Year praise in 2009 after helping the Huskies reach the round of 16 at the NCAA Championships. In addition to player development, Coupe’s duties at Washington included recruiting, budget management, fundraising and scheduling.

“I look forward to continuing the winning tradition that Hugh Bream has developed,” Coupe said. “We have a tremendous group of women who have a strong will to compete, work hard and have fun together. This is an exciting time for Mustang tennis and I’m thrilled to be a part of the Mustang family. Once again, I would like to thank Don Oberhelman for this opportunity to lead Cal Poly.”

Coupe arrived at Washington after serving as the associate head coach at California during the 2006-07 campaign. With Coupe, California reached the semifinals of the NCAA Championships, finished the spring No. 5 in the ITA rankings and, individually, produced three All-America singles selections and one All-America doubles team selection. Additionally, California’s three doubles teams and five of the program’s six singles players finished in the ITA rankings.

Coupe enjoyed a fruitful two-year stint as head coach at Santa Clara (2004-06) where he helped the Broncos to their first ITA ranking and a program-record 16 victories during his first season.

Coupe’s collegiate coaching career began during the 2001-02 season as an assistant with men’s program at Sacramento State. Elevated to interim head coach midway through the year, Coupe directed the Hornets to a Big Sky Conference title and a berth in the NCAA Championships. Coupe, a top-three singles player at Sacramento State (1993-96), then served two years as the assistant coach with Fresno State (2002-04). During his first season, Fresno State advanced to the second round of the NCAA Championships and posted a 17-8 duals mark. Fresno State reached the NCAA Championships again the next season and climbed as high as No. 30 in the ITA rankings.

Cal Poly is expected to return six players from a 2011 spring squad that produced, arguably, the program’s finest season at the Division I level. Powered by a program-record nine-match winning streak between Feb. 20 and April 2, Cal Poly reached as high as No. 36 in the ITA rankings en route to an at-large berth in the NCAA Championships. Cal Poly’s seven Big West victories helped the Mustangs to a share of the conference regular season title while a further seven overall wins came against ranked opposition.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #109
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Old Dominion hires Dom Manilla

Manilla Named Women's Tennis Head Coach

July 6, 2011

NORFOLK, Va. - Old Dominion University named Dominic Manilla women's tennis head coach, Athletic Director Wood Selig announced on Wednesday.

"I was most impressed with Dom as an assistant tennis coach at ODU upon my arrival last year. He has only enhanced his tennis acumen with his stint at the John McEnroe Tennis Academy Coaching staff," Selig said. "Dom knows the ODU program and has great vision on improving our program to one of the nation's top women's programs in the country. He presented an extremely detailed plan for enhancing our recruiting, competitiveness, scheduling and fundraising that captured the attention and interest of the entire selection committee. We welcome Dom back as our new head women's tennis coach."

Manilla, an ODU Graduate and former men's tennis player, spent last year coaching at the prestigious John McEnroe Tennis Academy in New York. Manilla was a part of the day-to-day on court training and worked closely with McEnroe, Gilad Bloom (former ATP #56 ranking and Academy Director) and Fritz Buehning (former ATP #21 ranking and Assistant Academy Director).

"I would like to thank Dr. Selig, Bruce Stewart and the entire search committee for the opportunity to return to Old Dominion as the head women's tennis coach. I could not be happier to return to Old Dominion, my alma mater, and the state of Virginia where my family and closest of friends are. I greatly look forward to working with the Athletic Department, especially volunteer coach John Brinkman and our Facility Coordinator, Mary Jordan, in bringing the program to a level that the Hampton Roads tennis community can be proud of," Manilla said. "I would like to thank my parents, Ron and Diana, as well as my brothers and sisters, Danny, Anna, and Joey helping me to achieve my goals as a player and coach. Being the head coach at Old Dominion has been a goal of mine since I stepped foot on campus as a student-athlete for coach Cummings. I am humbled and eager to get to work."

Before joining the McEnroe Academy, Manilla returned to his alma mater for three years as an assistant coach. Manilla joined the Monarchs in the fall of 2007 and helped ODU to a third place finish in the Colonial Athletic Association, and ranking as high as No. 38 during the season, and an appearance in the conference tournament semifinals. The Monarchs reached the semi's again in 2009 and placed the doubles team of Aleksandr Seleznev and Tobias Fanselow in the NCAA Doubles Tournament, with Seleznev qualifying for the singles tournament.

Prior to joining ODU, he was the Tennis Camp Instructor at the Boars Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Virginia. Manilla worked with the junior program and traveled to tournaments across the Mid-Atlantic region.

Manilla finished his career at ODU with an 18-15 record and was part of the 2007 team that defeated Virginia Tech in the first round of the NCAA Tournament and finished with an overall ranking of No. 31.

"I feel fortunate to have Dom return to his alma mater. I think he embodies the tangible and intangible qualities that will enable him as a head coach to foster a winning culture within our program," Associate Athletic Director and Committee Chair Bruce Stewart said. "He is a tireless individual that not only has the best interest of our program at heart, but truly bleeds blue and will be an asset to our campus community."
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #110
country flag gouci

Maryland elevates Dianne Matias to interim head coach

Glad to see Maryland give former UCI assistant Matias a shot.

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Dianne Matias, who has served as the assistant women's tennis coach for the past two seasons, has been elevated to interim head coach, Maryland director of athletics Kevin Anderson announced Wednesday.

Matias replaces Howard Joffe, who recently accepted the women's head coaching position at Texas A&M.

Matias, who is entering her third season at Maryland, will hope to continue the momentum built last season as the Terps reached the NCAA Championships for the first time since 2006.

"I am very excited and grateful for this opportunity," said Matias. "I look forward to continuing the development of this program and build on our recent success. We have a talented group of women who have gained a tremendous amount of experience from last season. This is going to help propel the team forward."

"We look forward to Dianne being able to continue the recent success in our women's tennis program," said Anderson. "We think she is the right person to provide our student-athletes with outstanding coaching and to give them a quality experience in a number of areas."

Prior to coaching, Matias enjoyed a successful collegiate career at the University of Southern California, where she was ranked as high as No. 32 nationally in singles and No. 28 in doubles. In 2005-06, she led the Trojans to a No. 3 national ranking.

At the junior level, Matias, was honored as the USTA's Southern California Player of the Year in 2000, was ranked as high as No. 1 nationally in singles at the U-16 level in 2000 and 2001.

Matias arrived at Maryland after spending one season as an assistant at UC Irvine, where she was primarily responsible for day-to-day operations of the program and assisting with practice.

BROADCAST OUTLETS NOTE PRONUNCIATION

"ma-TEE-as"
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #111
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #112
country flag form

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
Good choice at this late date. She has a lot of pedigree. Nice person too.

Last edited by form : Jul 27th, 2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Corrected per Mr. Agends noticing my error
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #113
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

didn't know she was a transfer, what matters to me is that she was just a ultra solid #4 (rarely lost)
Best of luck to her

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #114
country flag Tenniswish

Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice

Probably the most likely reason for hiring an interim head coach at Maryland as opposed to making it a permanent position -

http://www.president.umd.edu/stateme...ssage71911.cfm

According to the article, Maryland's athletic department is undergoing a serious review of its finances after depleting its reserves over the past few years.
Tenniswish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #115
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
As the super star who TRANSFERRED out of her original school (hmmmm, what school was that?) in summer 2000 to go to USC, she has a lot of pedigree.
fantic Matias was never a transfer, she began at USC in 2003.

The person who transferred from UCI to USC in the summer of 2000 was Maureen Diaz.

Form confusing Dianne Matias with Maureen Diaz is just another example where I have to correct Form because FORM DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL HE'S TALKING ABOUT!

Form tries to take a shot at UCI but just ends up shooting himself in the foot.

Moments like these are priceless to me.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #116
country flag form

Quote:
fantic Matias was never a transfer, she began at USC in 2003.

The person who transferred from UCI to USC in the summer of 2000 was Maureen Diaz.

Form confusing Dianne Matias with Maureen Diaz is just another example where [BI have to correct Form because FORM DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL HE'S TALKING ABOUT![/b]

Form tries to take a shot at UCI but just ends up shooting himself in the foot.

Whoops... game set match penalty on me. Yep, got the names crossed up. It's been a decade ... what can I say. Matias, Diaz, Eater, cheater... it all starts to blend. SORRY! I will admit my error.

My bad.... I apologize for crossing up the names and besmurching Mr Agenda's school.

Last edited by form : Jul 27th, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #117
country flag form

Quote:
Mr. Agenda... again, glad my error could give you a pricelss moment. That makes me feel good.

I know the feeling

14-1-1*
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #118
country flag johnnytennis

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice

I noticed this week that some quality women's tennis programs are looking for new assitant coaches which means the ones leaving are getting head coaching jobs or just doing something else.
I guess someone here did say the person from the University of Washington is heading to some place in California.

Notre Dame, William and Mary, University of Washington and College of Charleston.
johnnytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #119
country flag form

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytennis View Post
I noticed this week that some quality women's tennis programs are looking for new assitant coaches which means the ones leaving are getting head coaching jobs or just doing something else.
I guess someone here did say the person from the University of Washington is heading to some place in California.

Notre Dame, William and Mary, University of Washington and College of Charleston.

I would estimate about 90% of the college tennis assistants are part time or grad assistants.

Sadly for we college tennis fans, the college administrations in a majority of locations do not value college tennis much.

So it's hard to make a living doing it.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #120
country flag johnnytennis

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
I would estimate about 90% of the college tennis assistants are part time or grad assistants.

Sadly for we college tennis fans, the college administrations in a majority of locations do not value college tennis much.

So it's hard to make a living doing it.
That might be the case with some of the smaller programs that are strapped for money but not with the programs mentioned. There are a few tennis programs in the Big Ten that have both an assitant and a volunteer assitant. They are ex-college players that want to coach after college and it gives them a chance to volunteer as an assitant to see if it's something they want to do long term!
johnnytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote