Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1 - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 6th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #76
country flag johnnytennis

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice
Re: Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1

[quote=form;19496544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Yeah hard to believe how this happened. That's why Boise St. is being investigated for lack of institutional control.QUOTE]

Ok, I don't think calling cheerleading a 'bigger' violation... stupider yes... but not bigger.

From Idaho Statesman newspaper:

The National Collegiate Athletic Association has charged Boise State with a major violation and a lack of institutional control after the university reported a host of secondary violations across five sports dating to 2005 and an alleged major violation by the former women’s tennis coach in 2010.

The NCAA presented the school with its case several months ago and Boise State responded April 25. The NCAA Committee on Infractions will review the response during a June 10 meeting in Indianapolis and issue a final report along with penalties for Boise State at a later date.

The majority of secondary violations involve impermissible housing, transportation and meals for incoming student-athletes in the days and weeks before school started, Boise State said.

Boise State was alerted to potential violations by the NCAA and began an investigation in March 2009. A year later, the school and the NCAA agreed on penalties for the violations, which included football, men’s and women’s tennis, and men’s and women’s track and field.

“Most of those I would characterize as a misinterpretation of the rule in some cases and not fully knowing what was occurring in other instances,” Bleymaier told the Idaho Statesman on Monday night.

However, in October 2010, the school self-reported a major violation in the women’s tennis program, causing the NCAA to rescind its initial agreement, Bleymaier said.

The NCAA is charging former women’s tennis head coach Mark Tichenor and former assistant coach Tiffany Coll with unethical conduct, Boise State said. Bleymaier said evidence supports the charge and he accused the coaches of “willful and intentional” violations.

Both coaches left Boise State on Nov. 1.

The NCAA alleges that the coaches provided a prospective student-athlete with transportation, cash, lodging, educational expenses and entertainment and allowed her to participate in practice and NCAA events before she was enrolled. It then alleges that Tichenor and Coll lied about the violations to Boise State and the NCAA.

Further, it alleges Tichenor failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance.

Tichenor coached at Boise State from Nov. 1, 1999, to Nov. 1, when he said he resigned. Tichenor said he responded to the NCAA’s charges in writing earlier this year, but declined to give specifics about his resignation or the case.
“I just did. (Resigning) was a good thing to do,” Tichenor told the Statesman. “I’m not going to say one thing or another and have somebody from the NCAA read something. I can’t say anything on anything on it.”

Tichenor’s wife, Valerie, works for the athletic department as the executive director for the Stueckle Sky Center.
From what I read about the Boise State situation, it sounds like Coll the assistant coach got the shaft and I hope she sues Boise State for as much as she can get. The athletic director sounds like a real jerk and real unprofessional. If I was an athlete, I'd stay away from this school!
johnnytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #77
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Wisconsin head coach

Interesting if the article below will result in a coaching change or mass player exodus.

Players speak out against Wisconsin's tennis head coach

Pressure to follow strict eating rules damaging athletes’ physical, mental well-being

By Tom Sakash
Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:00 p.m.
Updated Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:56:31 a.m.

Several members of the University of Wisconsin women’s tennis team have come forward to The Badger Herald illuminating issues with the team’s head coach, saying his actions have put the players’ health at risk.

According to phone interviews with four players, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, head coach Brian Fleishman places strict limitations on what they eat and how they train, which has forced several girls to surrender to unhealthy lifestyles.

“Honestly, we’re controlled through fear, which is a coaching mechanism that a lot of coaches can implement successfully, but the bigger issue here is that it has been decided on our team that [Fleishman] has issues with food,” one of the women said.

According to several members of the team, Fleishman has instilled fear into his players, which has afflicted serious physical and mental damage on many of them. Through his behavior, certain players have battled with anorexia because of Fleishman’s constant focus on their diets.

Associate Athletic Director Justin Doherty said the athletic department was not aware of the situation and that every head coach goes through a rigorous review process each year by senior members of the athletic department. He also reiterated the university’s commitment to its athletes’ safety.

“The welfare of student athletes is and always will be one of our most top priorities,” Doherty said. “That remains to this point.”

The players say several team members have sought out psychological treatment to heal the wounds inflicted on them and that players have started taking antidepressant and anti-anxiety medications due to the stressful environment created by Fleishman.

One member of the team remembers watching a teammate deteriorate right before her eyes.

“I saw emotionally how her relationship with Brian took a toll on her,” she said. “She started getting anxiety attacks after he sent her an email that her game wasn’t up to par. He threatened that she had to do a lot of extra workouts and from that she got an eating disorder, she became bulimic and got worse and worse throughout the year.”

According to several members of the team, in addition to players, Fleishman’s actions have affected assistant coach Audra Cohen.

Members of the team approached Cohen after they had noticed a change in her health and appearance.

“She was going through a very difficult time dealing with how Brian was running the program,” one player said.

Cohen declined to comment on the matter.

Several players believe Fleishman himself has an eating disorder. They say he is “obsessed with working out” and that he won’t eat in front of the team on road trips. They insist, because they are around the coach and his lifestyle on a daily basis, that his eating habits are forced on the team.

“He’s always looking for someone to put in his doghouse,” one player said. “There was never a time when he wasn’t trying to go after an individual.”

The players say they are afraid to reach out to university officials in fear they might lose their scholarships, especially because Fleishman has demonstrated that he is not afraid to dismiss players from the team.

According to one player, Fleishman kicked a player off the team for failing to cheer on a teammate and that Fleishman has revoked another player’s scholarship for failing to pass a fitness test.

“We were devastated that we were losing part of our team,” one player said. “We did not talk about it to Brian because he’s very unapproachable. … We didn’t have a whole team meeting about it, but the general consensus was we weren’t happy.”

“In most programs, you’re told when you’re recruited that the only way you lose your scholarship is by breaking a serious rule in terms of stealing, drugs, doing something illegal,” another member of the team said. “But he’s created a rule called ‘the zero tolerance policy’ that can get anyone off the team in a second, and in this fearful environment, he has 100 percent control over everything we do on a daily basis.”

Players say the situation became so ridiculous that one player created a comic book for her teammates depicting the lifestyle Fleishman leads.

The comic, which ends with Fleishman’s daily itinerary titled “Brian’s Schedule,” includes Fleishman’s many “policies,” his controlled lifestyle and the way he “yells” at certain members of the team on a regular basis. The comic also included satirical meal suggestions given to the players, such as “three pieces of lettuce.”

The creator of the comic recounted how Fleishman had once talked to one of her teammates.

“He actually commented to her about her weight and threatened her with it. He used anything that he saw her eat against her in the future when she’d lose her matches.”

Fleishman has been head coach at Wisconsin for four years. Prior to being hired at UW in 2007, he was head coach at Wake Forest from 1999 to 2005. He coached four individual national champions there and was named the 2000 ACC coach of the year, 2002 Wilson/ITA national coach of the year and the 2011 Big Ten co-coach of the year. Fleishman resigned from his position at Wake Forest in 2005.

Kyle Gibson, one of the team’s trainers, declined to comment on this matter due to confidentiality laws. Several calls made Wednesday to Fleishman were not returned.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #78
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Wisconsin head coach

Quote:
The reputation of this program deserves to be tarnished. As someone who has witnessed the toll this coach has taken on his athletes, I can verify that he has totally abused his position and his athletes. He treats them like robots, subjecting them to extreme mental abuse and harassment. The girls are some of the top athletes in the country. They deserve better than to be threatened, abused, and lied to. A really good coach has no need to treat his athletes this way. The emotional and physical distress that Brian has caused his players to suffer from is inexcusable. The girls were threatened multiple times that he would revoke their hard earned scholarships for reasons like they couldn't run a mile under a certain time. Brian broke promises, lied to their faces, and worst of all, subjected them to mental abuse that led to break downs and eating disorders. The effect of this abuse are real, I've seen if with my own eyes. And for those of you who said the other side of the argument was not contacted, as was reported in the article, they were contacted, they just refused to comment
There is a saying, coined by machiavelli, that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Brian was allowed to establish a tyranny over his athletes, and the absolute power he was allowed corrupted him and hurt his athletes. Fear is a powerful weapon, but is inappropriate in the arsenal of a coach.

- witness
Here's a link to the article to see the interesting post article comments like the one above.

Players speak out against women's tennis head coach.

Quote:
"According to one player, Fleishman kicked a player off the team for failing to cheer on a teammate and that Fleishman has revoked another player’s scholarship for failing to pass a fitness test."
Maybe former Wisconsin #5 singles player Emese Kardhordo or former #8 player Dana Larsen?

Quote:
Kat you're already off the team, and everyone supported it. Get over it.

This was a comment. Has Kathleen Saltarelli been kicked off the Wisconsin team?

Quote:
Fleishman was run out of Wake b/c he got his former player pregnant!! (aka his current wife)

- Dcshoes
Feels like a soap opera.
This would be former WF player Janet Bergman 12 years younger than the coach.

Last edited by gouci : May 6th, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #79
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Holy crap This Wisconsin stuff
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #80
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
Holy crap This Wisconsin stuff
This is really weird to read. They came to play us and I saw Audra and she looked like she had lost some weight and just looked okay, a little bit idk just not as healthy as she could/used to. It could be from the transition of playing on tour to coaching. The girls were bitches, just straight up, especially their number 1. Audra had her bitch moments too. The line calls in that match were just horrendous, I'd never seen anything like it.

And a good friend of mine is looking at schools and she was thinking about looking at Wisconsin. We were talking about it this week and this came out and I told her just don't go

tennisbuddy12 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #81
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Quote:
Here's a link to the article to see the interesting post article comments like the one above.

Players speak out against women's tennis head coach.

Maybe former Wisconsin #5 singles player Emese Kardhordo or former #8 player Dana Larsen?

This was a comment. Has Kathleen Saltarelli been kicked off the Wisconsin team?

Feels like a soap opera.
This would be former WF player Janet Bergman 12 years younger than the coach.

IF, and that is a HUGE 'IF', his food/weight/workout thing were true than the athletic dept has an issue.

On the flip side, having disgruntled athletes when a realively new coach arrives and attempts to 'change the culture' of a losing often leads to this sort of stuff in every sport... male or female.

I'd take this stuff with a grain of salt until more comes out. Could be bad... could be the coach is fed up with under performing players he did not recruit and having those players who have no desire/culture to play at the level he and the University expects. After all, he likely still has at least one more class of athletes that were signed before he got there.

Culture Story: I am always reminded of conference tourney a couple years ago. # 1 seed blew the very poor #8 seed out in about 1hr 30 min. (the fastest match I have ever watched... it was embarrassing). Bad tennis and 90 minutes shorter than even a daily practice. So the # 1 seed went back out and practiced (grooved out) with one another for another hour after the match. Over heard a player from another BW school saying 'Oh, my god their coach is so mean and makes them practice after a match.' No young lady.... LB was preparing to elevate their play for a tougher match against better talent the next day.

It's perspective or call it 'culture': What you expect of yourself.

It may be that the Wisc coach is finding it hard to change the culture of some girls that were recruited to a low program and do not desire to put in what is needed to be better.

Side note: I have no problem with having a rule requiring teammates to cheer for one another. They are on the same team and PAID by the same school!!!!!

Now the checking of weight and minimum mile run times is shakey... VERY SHAKEY... and the weight thing seems pretty much unacceptable if true. If someone has checked out and gotten fat or dogging it on runs... it would be smarter to just cut them than doe this micro manage thing.

It is an 'athletic' scholarship and to be earned each year. There are a % of kids who get the scholarship and then check out. It's not a 'tenured' position... you have to earn it just like any job. But it is a GOOD JOB (beats waiting tables).

Last edited by form : May 7th, 2011 at 09:20 PM.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #82
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
IF, and that is a HUGE 'IF', his food/weight/workout thing were true than the athletic dept has an issue.

On the flip side, having disgruntled athletes when a realively new coach arrives and attempts to 'change the culture' of a losing often leads to this sort of stuff in every sport... male or female.

I'd take this stuff with a grain of salt until more comes out. Could be bad... could be the coach is fed up with under performing players he did not recruit and having those players who have no desire/culture to play at the level he and the University expects. After all, he likely still has at least one more class of athletes that were signed before he got there.

Culture Story: I am always reminded of conference tourney a couple years ago. # 1 seed blew the very poor #8 seed out in about 1hr 30 min. (the fastest match I have ever watched... it was embarrassing). Bad tennis and 90 minutes shorter than even a daily practice. So the # 1 seed went back out and practiced (grooved out) with one another for another hour after the match. Over heard a player from another BW school saying 'Oh, my god their coach is so mean and makes them practice after a match.' No young lady.... LB was preparing to elevate their play for a tougher match against better talent the next day.

It's perspective or call it 'culture': What you expect of yourself.

It may be that the Wisc coach is finding it hard to change the culture of some girls that were recruited to a low program and do not desire to put in what is needed to be better.

Side note: I have no problem with having a rule requiring teammates to cheer for one another. They are on the same team and PAID by the same school!!!!!

Now the checking of weight and minimum mile run times is shakey... unless the athlete in question has been going backwards (gotten fat or dogging it on runs) at which point that is grounds for pulling a scholarship.

It is an 'athletic' scholarship and to be earned each year. There are a % of kids who get the scholarship and then check out. It's not a 'tenured' position... you have to earn it just like any job. But it is a GOOD JOB (beats waiting tables).
Just curios, and this isn't really related to your post, but did you play college tennis?
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #83
country flag gouci

Form probably wasn't even a recreational tennis player.
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #84
country flag form

Ice hockey

Also worked for D1 hoops team at one time.

Last edited by form : May 8th, 2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #85
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Form I agree with much of your post in theory, but this was Fleishman's fourth season at Wisconsin and he only had one senior, meaning that all 10 of the other girls on his roster were girls that he recruited. It would probably be a safe assumption to say that if the senior has made it through 4 years with the same head coach, that she has bought into his system.

If you have had nearly complete turnover and you still have not been able to change team culture with players that you have recruited yourself, then it's time to stop blaming it on the previous coach.

BTW I know nothing of the Wisconsin situation or their coach, this is just an impartial observation. There are two sides to every story and I would like to hear both the head and assistant coaches' version of events. I will say that even if Fleishman is in the right and simply has a group of soft, entitled kids on his hands, no matter what Fleishman's version of the events is a lot of the blame falls on him for recruiting those types of girls and then expecting them to follow a spartan fitness and nutrition regimen.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #86
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
There are two sides to every story and I would like to hear both the head and assistant coaches' version of events.
I heard from a source Wisconsin assistant coach Audra Cohen has resigned. This speaks volumes.
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #87
country flag form

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
Form I agree with much of your post in theory, but this was Fleishman's fourth season at Wisconsin and he only had one senior, meaning that all 10 of the other girls on his roster were girls that he recruited. It would probably be a safe assumption to say that if the senior has made it through 4 years with the same head coach, that she has bought into his system.

If you have had nearly complete turnover and you still have not been able to change team culture with players that you have recruited yourself, then it's time to stop blaming it on the previous coach.

BTW I know nothing of the Wisconsin situation or their coach, this is just an impartial observation. There are two sides to every story and I would like to hear both the head and assistant coaches' version of events. I will say that even if Fleishman is in the right and simply has a group of soft, entitled kids on his hands, no matter what Fleishman's version of the events is a lot of the blame falls on him for recruiting those types of girls and then expecting them to follow a spartan fitness and nutrition regimen.
Fair enough. My guess is some disgruntled player may be the ring leader...but the weight management this is very agressive and likely not right. So probably some truth and some exageration to this. But the weight thing would be abuse if true.

Too bad... great school and they have gotten better
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #88
country flag form

Quote:
I heard from a source Wisconsin assistant coach Audra Cohen has resigned. This speaks volumes.
Usual over assumption and/or misinformation possibly? Could be she just got her master's. She was there as an asst for two years to get her graduate degree.

My guess... whatever the reason... she's headed home to Florida and will apply for many D1 jobs anywhere in the country.... from Cal Poly to ? if she wants to be a coach. Otherwise she was at Wisc to get her masters and do something else.

Do not over read.
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #89
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

A girl who played at Wisconsin last year and isn't this year, and is still a student (she was the one who got called out by other players on the comments section) followed me on twitter today or yesterday

tennisbuddy12 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #90
country flag its_a_racquet

its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice its_a_racquet is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbuddy12 View Post
A girl who played at Wisconsin last year and isn't this year, and is still a student (she was the one who got called out by other players on the comments section) followed me on twitter today or yesterday
"followed you on twitter".....and so?
its_a_racquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote