Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1 - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 25th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #61
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Middle Tennessee St. coach Melissa Schaub

August 4, 2010

Schaub promoted to head women's tennis coach

Four-year assistant coach with Blue Raiders

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Middle Tennessee State Director of Athletics Chris Massaro announced Wednesday that Blue Raider assistant women's tennis coach Melissa Schaub has been promoted to the head coaching position.

"Melissa was a great assistant coach for Alison (Ojeda)," Massaro said. "I am confident she will be able to build upon the progress that was built. Melissa has a great rapport with her players who cares about their well-being and is a tremendous teacher. The feeling is mutual as the players let me know that they wanted Melissa to be their coach.

"She knows the strengths and weaknesses of our team and has a great plan to elevate our program."

Schaub, a Lexington, Ohio, product, recently completed her fourth season with the Blue Raiders as the team's assistant coach. She helped MTS earn its best record when it finished 11-10, collecting double-digit wins for the first time, since 2004.

"I am so honored to have been given this opportunity," Schaub said. "Middle Tennessee State is such an exciting place right now and I could not be happier to be part of this university."

While in Murfreesboro, Schaub has assisted the Blue Raiders in their steady climb up the Sun Belt standings each season. She also helped organize community activities, including the clinic the team conducted to raise money for Haiti earthquake victims this past season.

She is a former All-American doubles player at Tennessee, competing for former Middle Tennessee State men's standout Mike Patrick. She garnered All-America doubles accolades as a freshman, compiling a 20-8 dual match record and 31-13 overall ledger in 2002-03. Schaub combined with partner Vilmarie Castellvi to defeat 10 ranked opponents on their way to All-SEC Second Team honors and a No. 4 national seed in the NCAA Tournament. The pairing finished the campaign ranked No. 6 nationally.

Her best singles mark also came during her inaugural collegiate campaign, when she tallied a 22-18 mark, including a 16-11 effort in dual matches.

Despite battling injuries much of her next two years in Knoxville, Schaub registered a 25-21 dual match record in doubles action. As a senior, she played at the No. 2 and 3 singles positions before moving to the top spot in early April. She was 3-0 at the SEC Tournament and was recognized as a SEC Player of the Week.

She became just the 10th Lady Vol in school history to earn 70 doubles victories, while finished her senior season ranked No. 44 in doubles with partner Ghizela Schutte.

Schaub was a member of the SEC Good Works Team and SEC Academic Honor Roll as a senior.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #62
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Wake Forest new coach Jeff Wyshner

Wake Forest Names Jeff Wyshner Head Women's Tennis Coach

Wyshner comes to Wake Forest from Akron where he was the women's head coach for four years

Aug. 27, 2010

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Wake Forest has named Jeff Wyshner head women's tennis coach, as announced by Director of Athletics Ron Wellman on Friday.

Wyshner (pronounced Y-shner) comes to Wake Forest with 17 years of college head coaching experience and has spent the last four seasons as the head women's tennis coach at the University of Akron.

"We are very excited to welcome Jeff Wyshner to Wake Forest as our women's tennis coach," said Senior Associate Athletic Director Barbara Walker. "Jeff had tremendous success at Akron, turning their program into a winner in four years, and his academic background makes him an excellent fit at Wake Forest. We are confident that he will be able to build on our past success and continue our status as one of the top women's tennis programs in the country "

At Akron, Wyshner took control of a struggling program and elevated it to unprecedented heights and national prominence. In 2010, Wyshner guided the Zips to a 19-3 record, including wins over Michigan State and Penn State, and a second-place finish in the Mid-American Conference - the best conference result in school history.

Wyshner built a reputation as a top-notch recruiter at Akron, with his 2009-10 freshman class being voted as the 33rd best in the nation and third-best among mid-major teams and his 2008-09 class being ranked 34th in the nation and 12th among mid-majors. Both years, Akron had the highest-rated class in the MAC, after previously never having had a ranked recruiting class in program history. In 2009, Wyshner-recruit Zara Harutyunyan became the first player in school history to be named the MAC Player of the Year.

"I am excited to be joining the Wake Forest family," said Wyshner. "The University and the athletic department offer prospective student-athletes the best of everything - an incredible classroom education, daily interaction with some of the best and brightest classmates in the country, an incredible campus and an athletic program dedicated to competing at the highest levels. My goal will be to live up to this exceptional atmosphere by giving highly motivated players the best developmental opportunity in collegiate tennis within the framework of a team whose members are committed to each other and to the name on the front of their jersey."

Prior to coming to Akron, Wyshner coached both the men's and women's tennis teams at Fairfield University from 2001-06 and was the women's tennis head coach at Manhattan College from 1993-2001. Wyshner has accumulated a career head coaching record of 231-203 (.532), including 177-147 (.546) coaching women's tennis.

While at Fairfield, Wyshner achieved never-before-seen success as his women's teams won the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championship in 2004, and also recorded one second-place finish and five third-place results. Wyshner was named the MAAC Women's Tennis Coach of the Year in 2004 after leading the Stags to an NCAA Championship berth for the first time in program history. In 2005, Wyshner earned MAAC Men's Tennis Coach of the Year honors, making him the only coach in MAAC history to have been named Coach of the Year for both men's and women's squads.

In eight years as the women's head coach at Manhattan College, Wyshner became the program's winningest coach, posting a 70-54 overall record. In 2000-01, he led the Jaspers to a 13-4 record and their first-ever appearance in the MAAC championship match.

A native of Canaan, Conn., Wyshner graduated cum laude from Yale with a degree in economics and mathematics. He received a master's degree in educational administration from the Teacher's College at Columbia in 1996 and earned a juris doctorate degree from Columbia Law School in 2000.

Wyshner and his wife Jennifer have two children, a 4-year-old son Landon and 1-year-old daughter Sophie.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #63
country flag gouci

Stephen F. Austin Hires Patrick Sullivan

Sept. 1, 2010

NACOGDOCHES, Texas - Stephen F. Austin director of athletics Robert Hill announced on Wednesday that Patrick Sullivan has been named the new head coach of the women's tennis program. Sullivan replaces Bret Arrant who retired after 17 seasons following the 2009-10 season.

"Patrick brings a wealth of experience to the position and has a proven record of signing good players," SFA Director of Athletics Robert Hill said. "He has accepted my challenge of improving our tennis program and I fully expect him to succeed based on what he was able to do at SMU and Arkansas."

Sullivan is assuming head coaching duties for the first time in his career, coming to SFA after stints as an assistant at SMU and most recently at Arkansas.

"I'm very excited about the opportunity to join the SFA family and proud to be the head tennis coach," Sullivan said. "We have challenges in front of us, but we also have great opportunities with everything SFA has to offer - a great university, outstanding community, supportive administration, and thanks to the generous contributions of the Schlief family, a terrific new tennis facility that is one of the best in Texas. Everything is in place to help us take SFA tennis to new heights and we are up to the challenge."

Sullivan spent two separate tours at Arkansas, most recently in 2009-10 where he helped lead the Razorbacks to an 18-10 record and a berth in the NCAA Tournament. The Hogs knocked off No. 42 Oklahoma in the first round before falling to top-seeded Texas one round later.

Sullivan had previously served as a graduate assistant coach with head coach Michael Hegarty and the Razorbacks from 2004-06 before taking over as the assistant coach during the 2006-07 season. In his first season, the Razorbacks achieved their first .500 record since the 1990s and broke their 49-match Southeastern Conference losing streak with a win at Auburn.

In his second season, Sullivan helped guide Arkansas to an NCAA Tournament berth, on the heels of a five-match conference win streak, the Razorbacks' longest since 1997. During his tenure at Arkansas, four of Sullivan's players achieved national rankings, including two players in the top 25. In 2007, Sullivan's final season, the Razorbacks fielded the ITA Central Region's top-ranked singles player and two of the region's top-five doubles teams.

Before his latest season at Arkansas, Sullivan was in Dallas serving as assistant women's tennis coach at SMU for two seasons, assisting in all aspects for the Mustangs' program and helping the team to a school all-time best 28-3 record in 2008-09 and their first top-25 finish in 20 years. In his two years at SMU, three of Sullivan's recruits garnered national rankings in singles and four different doubles pairs appeared in the top-50. Sullivan's teams dominated on the court as well as in the classroom, earning nine all-conference athletic and academic awards, conference newcomer of the year, freshman of the year, and player of the year awards, as well as earning the highest GPA of any team on campus in back-to-back years.

Prior to Arkansas, Sullivan worked as a volunteer assistant coach for the men's tennis team at his alma mater, Texas A&M University. His coaching responsibilities at Texas A&M included working with the strength and conditioning coaches and supervising the team's summer conditioning program. During his time in College Station, Sullivan was also the head coach of the boys and girls tennis teams at the Brazos Christian School.

A native of Buenos Aires, Argentina, Sullivan recently relocated to Nacogdoches with his wife, Caroline.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #64
country flag gouci

Akron hires Brandon Padgett

Brandon Padgett is in his first season as head coach at Akron, being named to the post on Oct. 13, 2010. Padgett takes the reins of the Zips' program after three-plus seasons at Kennesaw State. He replaces Jeffrey Wyshner, who accepted the women's head coaching position at Wake Forest in August 2010. Wyshner was at UA for four seasons.

"We are excited to welcome Brandon to the Akron Athletics family," Akron Director of Athletics Tom Wistrcill said. "His skill set as a coach and recruiter allowed both the men's and women's programs at Kennesaw State to take major strides forward in a short period of time, and we are confident that he will be able to build on the recent success enjoyed by our team. We also feel Brandon has an approach that will keep us on track as we strive to build one of the top tennis programs in the Midwest."

Padgett inherits an Akron program that comes off what was arguably the most successful season in program history in 2009-10, in which it posted a program single-season record for league wins (7-1) and tallied the most overall victories (19-3) since the 1990-91 squad went 26-6. Additionally, the Zips opened the dual-match portion of their season with a 15-match win streak and were the nation's last undefeated Division I squad. UA's impressive start earned it a season-high and program-best national ranking of 63rd by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association during the first week of April.

Padgett was named head coach of the women's team at Kennesaw State, located in Kennesaw, Ga., in March 2007 and in 2008 started up the varsity men's program. He led both teams until February 2010, at which point he was elevated to director of tennis operations, while maintaining the title of women's coach. As director of tennis operations he had oversight of all aspects of both squads, including scheduling, budgeting and fundraising. He also oversaw the construction of the newly refurbished KSU Tennis Complex.

During his tenure at Kennesaw State, the athletics department switched from competing in the Peach Belt Conference and NCAA Division II to its current place in the Atlantic Sun Conference and Division I. During the transitional period, Padgett helped the program remain competitive and scored high marks in terms of recruiting. His women's team finished fifth in the conference in 2009, after placing 11th one season earlier. The jump in the standings came on the heels of signing a recruiting class that ranked as the 22nd best among mid-major programs, according to the ITA. The 2010 women's team finished sixth, and its recruiting class was listed 24th among mid-majors, with only one recruit.

In 2008, he guided the men's program through its first season of existence as a varsity sport, and his fall 2008 recruiting class ranked as the 29th best nationally, behind Ohio State and Indiana. The 2009 class was listed 11th among mid-majors.

Padgett came to Kennesaw State after serving as assistant coach at Dayton during the 2006-07 season, and his coaching resume also includes stints at the high school and Division-III level. He also served as a teaching professional at the Five Season Sports Club in Dayton, Ohio.

Prior to his time in Dayton, he served as the head coach at D-III Earlham College in Richmond, Ind., from 2003-04. From 2001-03, he was the head coach for both men's and women's tennis as well as women's soccer at D-III Shenandoah University in Winchester, Va. He also served as the Tennis Camp Director for the Frederick County Parks and Recreation Department while at Shenandoah.

Padgett served as the head coach at Miami (Hamilton) University for one season before heading to the state of Virginia. In his lone year with the Harriers, the team claimed the Ohio Regional Campus Conference title.

His first head coaching position was with his alma mater, Ross High School, in Ross, Ohio. He spent two seasons as the coach of the Rams, leading RHS to a 51-28 record and consecutive runner-up finishes in the Fort Ancient Valley Conference.

During his playing career, he was an all-conference performer and doubles champion at Miami (Hamilton) University, where he helped lead his team to the conference championship in both his freshman and sophomore seasons (1994 and '95).

Padgett, 35, received his undergraduate degree in health and sports studies from Miami (Ohio) in 1999 and received a master's degree in physical education from West Virginia in 2001. He and his wife, Jessica, have a four-year-old daughter, Addyson.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 04:50 PM   #65
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1

Cristina Visico 1st season as Volunteer Assistant Coach

link

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #66
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

from NU website;

'Another interesting connection between Northwestern and Harvard becomes apparent with a glance at the Crimson's coaching staff. Keri Robison, a 2009 Northwestern graduate who played a key role in NU's run to its first championship at the National Indoor tournament, is in her first season as an assistant coach for Harvard head coach Traci Green. Robison completed her NU career with an overall record of 53-18.'

link

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #67
country flag spartyfan

spartyfan has disabled reputation

Longtime Boise State coach resigned November 1, 2010

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...ns-tennis.html
spartyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #68
country flag gouci

Might explain why 5 star Haley Driver changed her verbal from Boise St. to Oregon.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #69
country flag gouci

Cal Poly head coach opens up

Here is the job description thanks to Form.

Cal Poly women's tennis head coach position.
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #70
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartyfan View Post
Longtime Boise State coach resigned November 1, 2010

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...ns-tennis.html
The truth comes out. Boise State's women's tennis coaches were dismissed last November for allowing a player to compete before she enrolled at the university and holding impermissible practices.

The NCAA has accused Boise State of having a lack of institutional control over its sports programs.

The NCAA prompted the school in 2009 to launch an internal investigation into allegations that tennis athletes among others had received impermissible benefits.
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #71
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

How does that happen? Like the school didn't know an athlete wasn't enrolled? I thought to play on a team you had to get accepted first.

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:18 AM   #72
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbuddy12 View Post
How does that happen? Like the school didn't know an athlete wasn't enrolled? I thought to play on a team you had to get accepted first.
Yeah hard to believe how this happened. That's why Boise St. is being investigated for lack of institutional control.

But believe it or not bigger screw ups than this have happened elsewhere. For example Long Beach St. won a national title in cheerleading this year. But then is was uncovered one of the cheerleaders that competed on the championship team was no longer a student at the school. Long Beach St. suffered major embarrassment in the cheer community, was stripped of their national title for cheating and the coach was fired.
Old May 5th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #73
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Yeah hard to believe how this happened. That's why Boise St. is being investigated for lack of institutional control.

But believe it or not bigger screw ups than this have happened elsewhere. For example Long Beach St. won a national title in cheerleading this year. But then is was uncovered one of the cheerleaders that competed on the championship team was no longer a student at the school. Long Beach St. suffered major embarrassment in the cheer community, was stripped of their national title for cheating and the coach was fired.
Hey don't short change it... it was a male cheerleader.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #74
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Hey don't short change it... it was a male cheerleader.
Heteronormative much?
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:02 AM   #75
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

[quote=gouci;19491239]Yeah hard to believe how this happened. That's why Boise St. is being investigated for lack of institutional control.QUOTE]

Ok, I don't think calling cheerleading a 'bigger' violation... stupider yes... but not bigger.

From Idaho Statesman newspaper:

The National Collegiate Athletic Association has charged Boise State with a major violation and a lack of institutional control after the university reported a host of secondary violations across five sports dating to 2005 and an alleged major violation by the former women’s tennis coach in 2010.

The NCAA presented the school with its case several months ago and Boise State responded April 25. The NCAA Committee on Infractions will review the response during a June 10 meeting in Indianapolis and issue a final report along with penalties for Boise State at a later date.

The majority of secondary violations involve impermissible housing, transportation and meals for incoming student-athletes in the days and weeks before school started, Boise State said.

Boise State was alerted to potential violations by the NCAA and began an investigation in March 2009. A year later, the school and the NCAA agreed on penalties for the violations, which included football, men’s and women’s tennis, and men’s and women’s track and field.

“Most of those I would characterize as a misinterpretation of the rule in some cases and not fully knowing what was occurring in other instances,” Bleymaier told the Idaho Statesman on Monday night.

However, in October 2010, the school self-reported a major violation in the women’s tennis program, causing the NCAA to rescind its initial agreement, Bleymaier said.

The NCAA is charging former women’s tennis head coach Mark Tichenor and former assistant coach Tiffany Coll with unethical conduct, Boise State said. Bleymaier said evidence supports the charge and he accused the coaches of “willful and intentional” violations.

Both coaches left Boise State on Nov. 1.

The NCAA alleges that the coaches provided a prospective student-athlete with transportation, cash, lodging, educational expenses and entertainment and allowed her to participate in practice and NCAA events before she was enrolled. It then alleges that Tichenor and Coll lied about the violations to Boise State and the NCAA.

Further, it alleges Tichenor failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance.

Tichenor coached at Boise State from Nov. 1, 1999, to Nov. 1, when he said he resigned. Tichenor said he responded to the NCAA’s charges in writing earlier this year, but declined to give specifics about his resignation or the case.
“I just did. (Resigning) was a good thing to do,” Tichenor told the Statesman. “I’m not going to say one thing or another and have somebody from the NCAA read something. I can’t say anything on anything on it.”

Tichenor’s wife, Valerie, works for the athletic department as the executive director for the Stueckle Sky Center.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote