NCAA singles & doubles draw - 2009 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #31
country flag form

form has disabled reputation
Re: NCAA singles & doubles draw - 2009

Uh, because she wants a degree. Rarely does NCAA champ go on to be a top 100 pro making any kind of money beyond covering expenses much less do it for the rest of their adult lives? You really need to do some research.

Love the 'hex' you are trying to put on LB recruit. Robert is on it though... she is not playing at the same level presently until arriving in school. But we LB fans certainly appreciate your concern; let us hope her college career goes as you predict.

Oh, and as you know but others that read this web page don't know, she just turned 20 in late April. Thus she is a legal 20 year frosh... not like the other girl at Cal. The only way she will be a "21" year old frosh is if she is part of the team that yet again sends UCI home without a trophy... which is um, ur, um.... every time in league history so far.

But you do like to try to push buttons. Have a great summer and be sure to go to UCI athletics and polish that league trophy for them.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #32
country flag form

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci

Unfortunately 21 year old freshmen seem to be popping up in college tennis.

And Long Beach St. is certainly one of the schools setting that bad trend.

I'm all for foreign players getting opportunities to get an education and play tennis, but really don't like it when these kids are 21 and 22 years old and are classified as freshmen. That's just flat out cheating, to me. I thought this trend was going away, especially after all the players that ruled ineligible a few years back just before NCAA's began. It seems to be getting worse.

Gatorfan... LB has never signed a 21 year old.
Quote:
The girl in question 20 and will not turn 21 until late April 2010
.... but Gouci gave you bad info... on purpose. He should be banned from yet another web site for intentional misrepresentation.
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #33
UFGatorFan

UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light

20 is still old for a freshman. I was a month past 18 when I started college. That's a huge difference and I still don't think it is right. Why are these kids waiting 2 years past normal to start college? By the time this player graduates, she will be 25 playing NCAA's, against some kids who are barely 18. That's fair how?
UFGatorFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #34
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Will Mallory Cecil stay all 4 years at Duke or will she turn pro if she wins both a team and individual NCAA title?
Form the above was for mboyle who could ask Mallory that question in person. But of course you thought mboyle was an Arizona St. Sun Devil.

Quote:
By the time this player graduates, she will be 25 playing NCAA's, against some kids who are barely 18.
See Form you can't fool UFGatorFan!

Watch out UFGatorFan he might argue with you that Malenovska will only be a 24 year old senior.

Quote:
.... He should be banned from yet another web site for intentional misrepresentation.
Form now you have told a lie.
I have never been banned from any messageboard. I left that other board voluntarily to honor YOUR request as a favor TO YOU!
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #35
country flag form

Just to throw salt in the wounds of a bad NCAA rule being brutalized beyond belief

- The NCAA doubles title was just won by two of the three worst eligiblity abuses ever

Andersson of Cal.... did sit one year (losing her age 21 frosh year).... age 22 soph with $25K earnings
Juricova of Cal... somehow did not sit a year ... age 21 frosh with $25K earnings

Congrats to Cal... best Compliance Director getting people eligible in the country
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #36
UFGatorFan

UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, my bad, the player will "only" be 24 when she plays her senior year of NCAA's. Most kids are seniors when they're 21.

Cal is supposed to be this upstanding, prestigious public institution. How in the world can they get these kids eligible and classify them as frosh and sophs at that age? Pretty crazy. Marrit Boonstra at Florida lost a year a year of eligibility and she's classified as a junior and she's 20, which is the right age for a junior. She'll be 21 in September as a senior.

I say this as a fan of Florida, knowing they had a 20 year old freshman playing this year. I think that's just too old. They had one on the women's team and the men's team.

Cal should feel real good about their cheaters.

Last edited by UFGatorFan : May 25th, 2009 at 11:00 PM.
UFGatorFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #37
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Duke freshman Mallory Cecil wins NCAA singles title

She won 7-5,6-4.
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #38
country flag barboza

barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future

Valverdu plays like Sania Mirza. Anyway, good job by Cal in doubles -- Lindsay Burdette of Stanford reminds me on Kuznetsova in her playing style.
barboza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #39
country flag form

UFGatorFan I again agree. LB just had # 1 graduate... she's 21 .... and injured former # 5 graduate... she's actually still 20 and gets diploma this week.

The rules need to change.

But then the examples like Cal, or the Pacific girl, and some others.... when you take your first class and first team practice at 21 and 22... yikes! Not to mention $25K, playing as many as 25 ITF/WTA's per year for three and four years... that's more tournies than the sisters play!
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #40
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Will Mallory Cecil stay all 4 years at Duke or will she turn pro if she wins both a team and individual NCAA title?
Courtesy of ZooTennis

"We'll see how the summer goes," Cecil said. "I've set everything up as if I'm coming back next year. I've got all my classes, my roommate. I'm going to play, set a goal that I'd like to have by the end of this summer, and we'll go from there. I'm really enjoying college and college tennis, so why not look at another year?"
tucker1989 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #41
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
Courtesy of ZooTennis

"We'll see how the summer goes," Cecil said. "I've set everything up as if I'm coming back next year. I've got all my classes, my roommate. I'm going to play, set a goal that I'd like to have by the end of this summer, and we'll go from there. I'm really enjoying college and college tennis, so why not look at another year?"
Nice find Tucker!

With this years top seniors graduating and the top incoming freshman next year in Rebecca Marino turning pro, Mallory Cecil certainly has a good chance of defending her NCAA singles title.

However if she does turn pro its after already reaching the pinnicle of college tennis. She won both an NCAA team and individual singles title and in the shortest time possible too, in as little as 5 months of college.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #42
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
Courtesy of ZooTennis

Yeah everyone thought she was going pro and not going to college at all. I think she's good enough to be top 100 honestly. But then again, if she graduates from Duke as a student athlete, even with a reasonable GPA, she still has a very good chance at getting a job as a banker or consultant (a la Ansley Cargill), or alternatively would have her pick of top law schools (I'm pretty sure Reka is the only pre-med). Kelly McCain even just won the Rhodes Scholarship. She was our no. 1 a couple years ago.

I don't actually know Mallory. I know Reka and Ellah. I do know that the whole team has wonderful chemistry that is obvious to anyone who watches them, and would like to think that that would factor into Mallory's decision as well. I hope she comes back. Duke needs more national championships! Lol.
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #43
country flag barboza

barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future

I'm really surprised at how easily Duke beat Cal... I think the team could be really dominant in the near future just like Stanford a few years ago.
barboza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #44
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
Yeah everyone thought she was going pro and not going to college at all. I think she's good enough to be top 100 honestly. But then again, if she graduates from Duke as a student athlete, even with a reasonable GPA, she still has a very good chance at getting a job as a banker or consultant (a la Ansley Cargill), or alternatively would have her pick of top law schools (I'm pretty sure Reka is the only pre-med). Kelly McCain even just won the Rhodes Scholarship. She was our no. 1 a couple years ago.

I don't actually know Mallory. I know Reka and Ellah. I do know that the whole team has wonderful chemistry that is obvious to anyone who watches them, and would like to think that that would factor into Mallory's decision as well. I hope she comes back. Duke needs more national championships! Lol.
But didn't you say earlier that Iyer doesn't get along with the team?

For the Cal players do we know if they acutally took the money (i.e. turned pro)? If they did turn pro and now are in college, I agree that is not fair. But if they didn't I don't see the problem. FYI Cecil has "won" over $25K.

Last edited by Tennisace : May 27th, 2009 at 01:23 AM.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #45
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
But didn't you say earlier that Iyer doesn't get along with the team?

For the Cal players do we know if they acutally took the money (i.e. turned pro)? If they did turn pro and now are in college, I agree that is not fair. But if they didn't I don't see the problem. FYI Cecil has "won" over $25K.
Oh yeah hahaha well Tara like doesn't go to practice and refused to go on spring break with the rest of the team, so I wasn't counting her.