US Marriage Equality: 18 down + DC, 32 to go: Welcome HI, IL, UT and NM! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #1
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute
US Marriage Equality: 18 down + DC, 32 to go: Welcome HI, IL, UT and NM!

It's official. Senate repassed the bill and the Governor signed it.

Maine is officially gay.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/usTopN...5455B620090506

Quote:
BOSTON (Reuters) - Maine's governor signed a bill on Wednesday legalizing same-sex marriage, clearing the way for the northeastern U.S. state to become the fifth in the nation to allow same-sex marriage.

"I have read many of the notes and letters sent to my office, and I have weighed my decision carefully," Democratic Governor John Baldacci said in a statement. "I did not come to this decision lightly or in haste."
Rest of article there.

Congratulations go to the people of Maine!

Maine later repealed the law on November 3, 2008 by the vote of the people.

SUMMARY:
Massachusetts
California (reinstated)
Connecticut
Iowa
Vermont
New Hampshire
New York
Washington
Maine
Maryland
Rhode Island
Delaware
Minnesota
New Jersey
Hawaii
Illinois
New Mexico
Utah
+ Washington, D.C.

Last edited by In The Zone : Dec 31st, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maine passes Gay Marriage; awaiting Governor's signature

Closer and closer!

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #3
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Go Maine,

Take that Carrie Prejean.
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #4
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

New Hampshire will likely be the next state. New York most likely after that. (Fingers crossed!)
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #5
country flag kris719

kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute kris719 has a reputation beyond repute

yet here in liberal California, the public votes against it....
kris719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #6
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

Update: the House amended the bill slightly (jargon, vocabulary, etc.) The Senate will repass it on Wednesday before sending to the Governor. The Governor is still "undecided".
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #7
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute

Like I've said before, the repukes missed a prime opportunity this year when they turned away the gay votes.

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #8
country flag Haute

Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute Haute has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
New Hampshire will likely be the next state. New York most likely after that. (Fingers crossed!)
NY has a Republican governor, and from what I've read sounds likely to veto the bill if it comes to his desk.

I'm not going to Rupologize!
Haute is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #9
country flag Expat

Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute View Post
NY has a Republican governor, and from what I've read sounds likely to veto the bill if it comes to his desk.
NY has a Democrat governor but if even NY does not pass the bill it does not matter as NY recognizes same sex marriages conducted in other states. The NY Senate which has a lot of Conservative Democrats is the problem. About 5 or 6 Republicans will need to vote yes in the Senate if the bill has to pass.

Last edited by Expat : May 6th, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
Expat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #10
country flag Donny

Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute View Post
NY actually has a Democratic governor who has openly advocated for same sex marriage.
Donny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #11
country flag Donny

Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalit View Post
NY has a Democrat governor but if even NY does not pass the bill it does not matter as NY recognizes same sex marriages conducted in other states. The NY Senate which has a lot of Conservative Democrats is the problem. About 5 or 6 Republicans will need to vote yes in the Senate if the bill has to pass.
*Democratic.
Donny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #12
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalit View Post
And .. New York has domestic partnerships which offer all the same benefits -- just different name. It would be nice for New York to pass it, though.

New Jersey is in a similar situation but Corzine will likely try to delay it until after he gets reelected.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #13
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnydarko View Post
NY actually has a Democratic governor who has openly advocated for same sex marriage.
Not even just that, he is the one who reintroduced the legislation into the NY Congress.

Haute, it sounds like you are talking about Pataki which was a few years ago.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #14
country flag griffin
double-dog daredevil

griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute

The Goveronor signed - it's now law! http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/105356.html

Maine governor signs same-sex marriage bill
By BDN Staff

AUGUSTA, Maine - Gov. John Baldacci on Wednesday signed a gay marriage bill passed just hours before by the Maine Legislature.

Baldacci made his announcement within an hour of the Maine Senate giving its final approval to LD 1020. The Senate voted 21-13 in favor of the measure after a short debate.

"In the past, I opposed gay marriage while supporting the idea of civil unions," Baldacci said in a written statement. "I have come to believe that this is a question of fairness and of equal protection under the law, and that a civil union is not equal to civil marriage."

The House of Representatives gave its approval on a 89-57 vote Tuesday.

The governor's signature makes Maine the fifth state to allow gay marriage.

In his statement, Baldacci also acknowledged that his signature may not be the last word on the issue. Opponents have vowed to begin the process of a "people's veto" to send the matter to referendum.

"Just as the Maine Constitution demands that all people are treated equally under the law, it also guarantees that the ultimate political power in the State belongs to the people,” Baldacci said.

"While the good and just people of Maine may determine this issue, my responsibility is to uphold the Constitution and do, as best as possible, what is right. I believe that signing this legislation is the right thing to do."

Connecticut, Massachusetts and Iowa have been ordered by the courts to do so, and Connecticut later enacted a law codifying the court ruling. Vermont in April passed a gay marriage law over the governor's objection.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #15
country flag ImaVeggie

ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future ImaVeggie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris719 View Post
yet here in liberal California, the public votes against it....
IMHO, the public has no business voting on whether rights should be given to a particular group of people. Government has the duty & responsibility to ensure that everyone has equal rights.
ImaVeggie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote