NCAA team brackets - 2009 - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 20th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #76
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NCAA team brackets - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
What makes it even better is her crazy mom yelling out in the middle of points and saying "GOOD JOB REEEKKKAAA!!!!" whenever her opponent makes a crazy error off of a moonball. I spend most of my time watching her matches just for comic relief.
I love Reka's mom haha!
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #77
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
Duke into the final with a 5-2 victory over Georgia. Nze and Zslinszka finished at almost exactly the same time to hand Duke the win. So funny to see Reka actually winning these matches, her matches are pure entertainment with her moonballs. Very surprised she was able to unseat Gilchrist today.
Reka almost never loses duel matches. It is hard for her to beat the top ten players because they are all consistent enough to put away winners, but generally there aren't more than one or two players per team capable of doing that. Also, it's funny because if you watch Reka practice, she can smack the ball almost as hard as Mallory. She just chooses to hold back because she knows most opponents at the college level will break down and make errors.
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #78
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

You have my curiousity. Reka is MVP as Duke wins national title and Reka destroys pro Andersson. Those must be NASA moon balls... but so so many college players hate to play a push game.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #79
country flag mboyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
You have my curiousity. Reka is MVP as Duke wins national title and Reka destroys pro Andersson. Those must be NASA moon balls... but so so many college players hate to play a push game.
I think Reka is more like Wozniacki. She'll hit a winner if the opportunity presents itself, but she doesn't go for it unless it's a sure thing.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #80
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
Heyy alll I am SOOOOO PUMPED! I am going to be a junior next year, and Reka and Ellah are actually two of my really good friends. We lived together last year and have dinner and stuff all the time. Ellah's actually dating one of my best friends haha! Anyway, Tara Iyer is graduating and not returning. I think she just didn't get along with the rest of the team. As of right now, unfortunately, there just isn't anyone lined up, but we are getting Liz Plotkin back, who was top thirty before she got injured, and should make a really solid player, most likely at 4 or 5.

Jamie (the coach) feels pretty confident that he can get a couple of girls this summer, but his recruiting strategy has always been to go after Blue Chippers only. Julia Cohen was actually all set to transfer and had given her commitment, but her grades weren't good enough to get in apparently (but Mallory wasn't going to come if Julia came, and I think I'd rather have Mallory haha). Irina Falconi is also really good friends with Ellah in particular Reka less so, and really really wanted to come to Duke, but Jamie completely dropped the ball and didn't send her recruiting info or something like that, so she had to go to Georgia Tech instead.

Gahh I'm so happy!
Is that the reason why Julia Cohen transferred out to Miami from UF because of her grades?? If that then I can understand.
desariofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #81
tennis_pIayer

tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all

I'm totally suprised that Duke won so easily....beating georgia and Cal. I was for sure that Cal was going to win teh title. Anyone know how Mallory Cecil plays>???
tennis_pIayer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #82
country flag mboyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pIayer View Post
I'm totally suprised that Duke won so easily....beating georgia and Cal. I was for sure that Cal was going to win teh title. Anyone know how Mallory Cecil plays>???
Mallory Cecil beat Virginie Razzano at Pilot Pen last year. Everyone thought she was just going to go pro. She has a sweet, sweet backhand, like WTA top twenty caliber. Her forehand isn't good enough right now for the WTA in my opinion but is still one of the top ten or so in college, I'd bet. Her serve is well placed but isn't overwhelmingly powerful. In general, she is a power baseliner, with hard and flat shots off both wings.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #83
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Watched and was totally impressed with Duke, especially Cecil. The only players I've watched this year who could beat Cecil playing as well as she did yesterday are Gullickson and Mosolova. Most importantly, she is in fantastic shape, allowing her to track down a bunch of shots that Juricova thought would be winners. She hits with solid pace off both wings and anticipates very well. Her game is actually a lot like Chelsey's with a little less power and a little better movement, in my opinion. The Duke girls seem to have great chemistry as a team and were just solid up and down, job very well done.

Tough for call, but with a lot of these players returning, they'll have a great shot again next year
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:37 AM   #84
country flag barboza

barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future

Where are you all watching the matches? Links? Thanks.

Btw, most of these girls can't transition properly into WTA because they love playing moonballs and they don't dare to go for lines.
barboza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:03 AM   #85
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboza View Post

Btw, most of these girls can't transition properly into WTA because they love playing moonballs and they don't dare to go for lines.
http://www.aggieathletics.com/ncaa2009/tennis/

Just click Live Stats tomorrow morning starting at 10 EST and you can pick from all 12 courts

Of the top players at the moment, the ones who have the best prospects for ITF and WTA success are the ones who have already experienced it, in my opinion, like Cecil, Jurikova, Andersson, Gullickson, etc. They play games most resembling the complete games of the pros
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:24 AM   #86
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:

Reka is going to go pro, I have never seen her moonball But in all seriousness, there are quite a few girls out there who go for the lines...perhaps a little too much. Tucker mentioned them previously.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM   #87
country flag barboza

barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future barboza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
http://www.aggieathletics.com/ncaa2009/tennis/

Just click Live Stats tomorrow morning starting at 10 EST and you can pick from all 12 courts

Of the top players at the moment, the ones who have the best prospects for ITF and WTA success are the ones who have already experienced it, in my opinion, like Cecil, Jurikova, Andersson, Gullickson, etc. They play games most resembling the complete games of the pros
Thanks I got the videos to work after installing silverlight I love how the videos have sound -- the online webcams on stanford's website do not have sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
Reka is going to go pro, I have never seen her moonball But in all seriousness, there are quite a few girls out there who go for the lines...perhaps a little too much. Tucker mentioned them previously.
I think these girls just need to play pro matches as much as possible to gain experience. Look at Amber Liu or Betthanie Mattek.. they were both really good collegiate players, but never transitioned well. Other examples include Laura Granville and Marissa Irvin, who have both been inconsistent.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM   #88
country flag barboza

Congrats to Duke by the way.. I heard that when Virginia played them, the Virginia girls showed a lot of potential. Is that true?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM   #89
country flag mboyle

Quote:
Thanks I got the videos to work after installing silverlight I love how the videos have sound -- the online webcams on stanford's website do not have sound.

I think these girls just need to play pro matches as much as possible to gain experience. Look at Amber Liu or Betthanie Mattek.. they were both really good collegiate players, but never transitioned well. Other examples include Laura Granville and Marissa Irvin, who have both been inconsistent.
All the girls you mentioned except Amber have had very solid pro careers. If you are playing college, you're just not going to win grand slams or even be top twenty. The last time that happened was Lisa Raymond.

Also, to the person who said Reka's going to go pro, she actually wants to be a doctor, and has a 3.76 GPA (and Pre-Med at Duke is haaaarsh let me tell you).

To the person who talked about Virginia, they didn't seem all that impressive when I saw them, but of course by the time they played Duke in the NCAAs, they had played twice before already, and thus were probably more familiar with the Duke players' games, so maybe they seemed impressive?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM   #90
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
All the girls you mentioned except Amber have had very solid pro careers. If you are playing college, you're just not going to win grand slams or even be top twenty. The last time that happened was Lisa Raymond.

Also, to the person who said Reka's going to go pro, she actually wants to be a doctor, and has a 3.76 GPA (and Pre-Med at Duke is haaaarsh let me tell you).

To the person who talked about Virginia, they didn't seem all that impressive when I saw them, but of course by the time they played Duke in the NCAAs, they had played twice before already, and thus were probably more familiar with the Duke players' games, so maybe they seemed impressive?
I was kidding about Reka going pro. But good for her for keeping her academics up and wanting to be a doctor
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote