What Has Been The Most Thrilling And Unexpected Grand Slam Win This Decade? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #1
country flag blue sky

blue sky is just really nice blue sky is just really nice blue sky is just really nice blue sky is just really nice blue sky is just really nice blue sky is just really nice blue sky is just really nice blue sky is just really nice blue sky is just really nice blue sky is just really nice blue sky is just really nice
What Has Been The Most Thrilling And Unexpected Grand Slam Win This Decade?

My vote has to go to Wimbledon 2004. Masha came out of nowhere to win that. It really was like a fairy tale come true and it still warms me whenever the night gets cold.

"Sorry, Serena, but I just have to take this away from you for one year". As things turned out, Masha took it away forever! Well done, my Russian babuschkina and I wait with baited breath for your return.

In the meantime, Vika has taken over your Williams-killing responsibilities admirably!
blue sky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Has Been The Most Thrilling And Unexpected Grand Slam Win This Decade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
My vote has to go to Wimbledon 2004.
Thrilling and unexpected probably aren't the same.

'Unexpected?' - Probably the 2004 French Open. I never viewed Anastasia Myskina as a potential slam winner. And she's probably the only slam winner this decade it wasn't expected to win one at some point in their career. The 2004 Wimbledon final was unexpected, but it was won by a player long touted as a future slam champ. And of course, the 1999 US Open, just barly in the requested ten year span, had a rather unexpected outcome as well.

'Thrilling'? - Hard to go against the 2005 Wimbledon final. But people forget the 2001 RG final. (12-10 in the third)

Last edited by Volcana : Apr 17th, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #3
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

The Final That Must Not Be Named. Myskina had a history of stinking on the red stuff, and no Russian had done it before.

TOB at Wimby is a close #2, but she was on fire during the grass season and arrived at Wimby as a solid dark horse contender.

Ree at the AO in '07 is #3. She'd proven before she could never be counted out, but really, it wasn't that much of a surprise because she showed she came to win from the 2nd round on.

Sveta in '04 is probably #4. But look who she played in the final.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Miss Atomic Bomb
Legendary

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Australian open 2007

Serena had struggled with knee problems and personal problems, fighting through depression and distractions and slipping out of the top 100 in 2006. She had lost to Sybille Bammer in the warm-up tournament in Hobart and was counted out by many doubters and critisized for her lack of fitness.

This woman who was ranked outside the top 50, was not match fit, had barely scraped through the first few rounds, saving match points, totally destroyed and outplayed Sharapova from every aspect of her game. Sharapova, who was on a 13 match win streak in Grandslams , had no reply for Serena's intense game and immense talent. The 6-1 6-2 victory which required just one hour and three minutes, capped one of the most remarkable comebacks in tennis history.

Last edited by Miss Atomic Bomb : Apr 17th, 2009 at 10:25 PM.
Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #5
country flag Pristine

Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice

Unexpected, definitely have to agree with Volcana. Not that I didn't view Myskina as someone who could take a slam but her RG results both before and after that win were dismal. Additionally Serena, Capriati, and other proven clay heavyweights were in the draw. I wouldn't have even wrote Myskina into a SEMI that RG.

Thrilling, I'd say getting behind Serena during 2007 Australian.

Combination of both would probably go to Sharapova.
Pristine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #6
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
Thrilling and unexpected probably aren't the same.

'Unexpected?' - Probably the 2004 French Open Final That Must Not Be Named. I never viewed Anastasia Myskina as a potential slam winner. And she's probably the only slam winner this decade it wasn't expected to win one at some point in their career.

'Thrilling'? - Hard to go against the 2005 Wimbledon final. But people forget the 2001 RG final. (12-10 in the third)
I fixed your post so you won't get banned.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #7
country flag BlameSerena

BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute BlameSerena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reetard View Post
Australian open 2007

Serena had struggled with knee problems and personal problems, fighting through depression and distractions and slipping out of the top 100 in 2006. She had lost to Sybille Bammer in the warm-up tournament in Hobart and was counted out by many doubters and critisized for her lack of fitness.

This woman who was ranked outside the top 50, was not match fit, had barely scraped through the first few rounds, saving match points, totally destroyed and outplayed Sharapova (who was on a 13 match win streak in Grandslams) . The 6-1 6-2 victory which required just one hour and three minutes, capped one of the most remarkable comebacks in tennis history.

This would be my vote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #8
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon 2005
Australian Open 2007 comes in as a close second.
2004 RG as well.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #9
country flag youizahoe
12 and countin'

youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
My vote has to go to Wimbledon 2004. Masha came out of nowhere to win that. It really was like a fairy tale come true and it still warms me whenever the night gets cold.

"Sorry, Serena, but I just have to take this away from you for one year". As things turned out, Masha took it away forever! Well done, my Russian babuschkina and I wait with baited breath for your return.

In the meantime, Vika has taken over your Williams-killing responsibilities admirably!
Too bad that Maria only won 2 slams since then, while Serena has 4 since 2004. Anyways, She'll have it back again this year.
youizahoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #10
country flag youizahoe
12 and countin'

youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute

Most Unexpected = Wimbledon 2004.
Most Thrilling = Australian Open 2007 - Australian Open 2003.
youizahoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #11
country flag Pristine

Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice Pristine is just really nice

Yeah those duties in which she hasn't beaten Serena in nearly five years and Venus in two.
Pristine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #12
country flag DownTheLine21

DownTheLine21 has a reputation beyond repute DownTheLine21 has a reputation beyond repute DownTheLine21 has a reputation beyond repute DownTheLine21 has a reputation beyond repute DownTheLine21 has a reputation beyond repute DownTheLine21 has a reputation beyond repute DownTheLine21 has a reputation beyond repute DownTheLine21 has a reputation beyond repute DownTheLine21 has a reputation beyond repute DownTheLine21 has a reputation beyond repute DownTheLine21 has a reputation beyond repute

Most Unexpected - Roland Garros 2004
Most Thrilling - Wimbledon 2005
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #13
country flag joćo.
;

joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute

W 04
joćo. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #14
country flag Dodoboy.

Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reetard View Post
Australian open 2007

This woman who was ranked outside the top 50, was not match fit, had barely scraped through the first few rounds, saving match points, totally destroyed and outplayed Sharapova from every aspect of her game. Sharapova, who was on a 13 match win streak in Grandslams , had no reply for Serena's intense game and immense talent. The 6-1 6-2 victory which required just one hour and three minutes, capped one of the most remarkable comebacks in tennis history.

Also Wimbledon 2005
Dodoboy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #15
country flag Apoleb

Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute

Myskina might be an unexpected Grand Slam champion, but she played in the final against Dementieva, so please. Not to mention that it was on clay, and Justine wasn't there, so it was wide open. Actually, it's not exactly unexpected.
Apoleb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote