Has anyone psoting here ever tanked a competitive match? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 24th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Has anyone psoting here ever tanked a competitive match?

Not letting your 5 year old nephew 'win', but actually deliberately went out and lost a match the fans were expecting them to be playing to win?

There's so much talk of tanking here, I imagine lots of you have actually done it. What were the circumstances?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 24th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #2
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Has anyone psoting here ever tanked a competitive match?

I've tanked a match against my boyfriend lol.

He was injured and in obvious pain, but he still REALLY wanted to play a full match. He had too much pride at that moment, so annoying. So I eased up. I didn't want to make him exert too much energy.

Wozniacki. Stosur. Jankovic. Bouchard. Halep.
Venus. Stephens. Cornet. Hampton. Bencic.
Seles. Henin. Davenport. Hingis. Clijsters.
MMJSL is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #3
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Most matches I play aren't very competitive.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #4
country flag NatP
🔴⚫️

NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future NatP has a brilliant future

One day at school, I was playing against a friend who was a pathetic player and all my friends told me "let her win", I tried a little at first but I couldn't do it, I hate losing, I have so much pride, I just can't.
It was not tennis but badmindton though.

Zvonareva Halep AK.Schmiedlova Jankovic Bencic Sharapova Robson
Tsonga Nishikori Del Potro Nadal Gulbis Cilic Berdych
Hingis Clijsters Dementieva Kournikova Davenport
NatP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #5
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

No, I didn't have any reason to.

Well to be fair at 15 or so I played an 11 year-old kid and before the match I told myself to give him 1 or 2 games, but for some reason that totally screwed my mind and missed a gazillion easy shots, I ended up winning 6-4 6-4 coming back from a break down in both sets. The following match I double bageled him. But no I've never lost a match on purpose.

R.I.P. Bally
Sammo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #6
country flag LeatherRatson

LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future

Yes. I was in the Wimbledon final this year playing a fesity check but I had to tank it because Maybeline said they'd void my lucrative contract if the match went to three sets. I totally could have taken her though because I don't have any friends to distract from my amazing tennis skils. I even asked my sister to take my place and play for me, but she was too scared that the fesity check would hit her in the face and end her career of waitressing at Hooters or whatever menial job she does.

*Watson *Broady *Konta *Lisicki *Vinci *Erakovic *Pennetta *V Williams
LeatherRatson is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #7
country flag eck
Esmerelda

eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute

There were times where I played easier against opponents (in badminton) so I wouldn't make them feel bad. But they still couldn't win..
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #8
country flag larryd

larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of larryd has much to be proud of

It happens very often at my tennis club. Sometimes I play with some of our old members and I obviously have to go easy on them. It's not "tanking", but it's a matter of holding back so we can actually have some rallies. If I played at full speed we couldn't rally and it wouldn't be fun.
The opposite happens when I play one of our coaches, he has to hold back against me otherwise he would smack me.
larryd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #9
country flag JohnMcP

JohnMcP is a splendid one to behold JohnMcP is a splendid one to behold JohnMcP is a splendid one to behold JohnMcP is a splendid one to behold JohnMcP is a splendid one to behold JohnMcP is a splendid one to behold JohnMcP is a splendid one to behold JohnMcP is a splendid one to behold JohnMcP is a splendid one to behold JohnMcP is a splendid one to behold JohnMcP is a splendid one to behold

Tanking happens at my local club, where there are 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0 leagues with occasional 4.5 leagues. There just aren't enough 4.5 players around to consistently have a full league so if 4.0 players win too many matches they will get "bumped up" by the computer to 4.5 and essentially play their way out of the league. Therefore some players feel the need to strategically lose to keep their ranking down so they can be assured of playing in a league.

I am too far in the opposite direction, having shredded my knees playing "fight to the death" matches when I should have retired.
JohnMcP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #10
country flag Queen Vika

Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, i just prefer to start crying and holding my thigh and pretend i hurt it

Titles 2014- Sharapova (STU-FO-MAD-BEI) Ivanovic (AUK-MOT-BIR-TOK) Kvitova (NH-WIM-WUH) Petkovic (CHA-BAD) Pennetta (IW) Venus (DUB) Keys (EAS) Kuznetsova (WDC) Wozniacki (IST) Cibulkova (ACA) Lisicki (HK) Makarova (PAT) Nara (RIO) Svitolina (BAK) Beck (LUX)

AO 95 97 98 99 00 01 02 04 08 12 13 FO 00 01 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 12 14 WC 97 99 00 01 04 05 07 08 11 14 US 97 98 00 01 03 04 06 07
Queen Vika is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #11
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute

I could never even retire in a match, let alone tank it. If I ever get injured in a competitive match, I'm going to go on unless I need a wheelchair.
Petkorazzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2014, 04:10 AM   #12
country flag Idemo

Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute Idemo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I attempted to, but it didn't work out that way.

I was playing a country tournament and it was getting late and I needed to get back to the city via train (I was there by myself), and when I got on court the last train was scheduled to leave in just over an hour. So I just started unloading on literally every shot including 2nd serves, with no thought of point construction or rallying. Somehow though most of the shots I hit actually went in, so I just ended up GOATing for the entire match and winning 6-2 6-1 in 50 minutes.
DOUBLES TITLES: 2014 Osaka (w/HenryMag.), 2014 Quebec City (w/goOudinUSA),
2014 Biarritz $100K (w/HenryMag.), 2014 Delhi $50K (w/buji), 2014 Nottingham $50K (w/cornet224),
2014 Melbourne $15K (w/cornet224)
Idemo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2014, 10:42 PM   #13
country flag The Walking Bye

The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute

^Did you make the train

I've never really tanked, though my conso match at my last tournament was a border line tank, I won the first game with 3 FH winners() then began to feel really sick and nauseous and so I just tapped in shots, but didn't want too retire. Lost 1-6 0-6 but turns out I had gastro

Rankings: Singles Rank: 131 Race: 120 Doubles Rank: 151 Race: 65
Titles:
Singles: Aning 25K 2014 Doubles: Barnstaple 25K 2014
The Walking Bye is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 09:23 PM   #14
country flag mirzalover

mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute

7th grade playing against Shelby middle school. I was playing someone I thought was cute and we chatted a little before our match and his grandma gave me chocolate chip cookies. So I thought to myself I'll go easy on him...he ended up beating me after I gave him a couple games...his confidence built and for some reason my nerves built up for some reason. That's the closes I've came to tanking a match.
mirzalover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote