Ági's new coach - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM   #16
country flag SzAFC

SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice
Re: Ági's new coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
Who is her new non-Hungarian coach? Name?
We know the name already now. Karl-Heinz Wetter
http://www.szavayagi-fanclub.hu/forum/

One world. One game. One club. One player.
SzAFC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 10:36 PM   #17
country flag mon72

mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SzAFC View Post
ex-coach of Jürgen Melzer and Ernests Gulbis
mon72 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #18
country flag Hakapeszi

Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SzAFC View Post

"Fine words." Tyrion was unimpressed. "Words are wind. Who is this bloody savior?"
"A dragon." The cheesemonger saw the look on his face at that, and laughed. "A dragon with three heads."
Hakapeszi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #19
country flag mon72

mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all mon72 is a name known to all

Does anyone know anything about this new guy, Wetter?
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #20
country flag Hakapeszi

Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon72 View Post
Does anyone know anything about this new guy, Wetter?
He has interesting surname.

(FYI 'wetter' means weather)

"Fine words." Tyrion was unimpressed. "Words are wind. Who is this bloody savior?"
"A dragon." The cheesemonger saw the look on his face at that, and laughed. "A dragon with three heads."
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #21
country flag Hakapeszi

Old Jul 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #22
country flag mon72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakapeszi View Post
He has interesting surname.
indeed

but seriously, any information on how successful ha was as a coach before(i know i am kind of obsessed with this coach issue haha)
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #23
country flag mon72

an old interview with Wetter:

The following interview with Ernests’s coach was written by Christian Frühwald and first published on Laola1, an Austrian sports portal. We thank Catherine Toussaint for the translation. Read the original article in German here.

“Do you need anything else?” Karl-Heinz Wetter asked, after his son Gabriel claimed his father on the telephone for the second time.

No, of course not. After all, the successful Austrian coach had already taken half an hour of his time for Laola1 during the BA-TennisTrophy.

And time for his family is something very precious for Melzer’s former coach. Wetter only has been in Austria for precisely nine and a half weeks this year.

The ‘giant talent’ Gulbis
The reason is easy to explain: he is in charge of the Latvian shooting star, Ernests Gulbis (ranked 56 at the moment), who is one of the biggest talents on the tour.

They have been working together since November 2007 and experts say that Gulbis is capable of reaching the Top 10. Even becoming No. 1 should not be impossible for this 20 year-old.

“He’s very talented,” acknowledged Wetter. “But talent is not enough, that’s another fact.”

“With Ernests I twist my tongue.”
‘Ernie’, as he is called by Wetter, (”With Ernests I twist my tongue at the last s.”) is said to have a complicated personality.

“I know he is said to be a complicated person.” Wetter confirms. “But I don’t know why people say that. It’s basically easy to work with him. He asks a lot and wants to know many things. It’s fun to work with him.”

But how did Wetter find this diamond in the rough? “His agency called me in October last year. After 2 weeks of trial practice, we saw that the chemistry was right.”

Preparation in Hawaii
After preparing for the season in Hawaii, Wetter went on the ATP tour with his disciple. But the start was tough.

“During the first 4 months and a half he was either sick or injured. Be it the tonsils or the wisdom teeth. Only during the clay season things slowly improved.”

Quarterfinal at the French Open
Gulbis first caused a fuss after his quarterfinal at the French Open. At the Masters Series in Cincinnati he also made the final eight. “Since then he’s been a bit unlucky with the draws. But he mostly played really well.”

For Wetter, the biggest potential for improvement is in terms of tactics. “He has to become more stable and solid. Sometimes he plays 120% instead of 100%.” Apart from that, his biggest flaw would be “his youth and lack of experience.”

Wetter considers the collaboration with Gulbis as, above all, an endorsement of his work. Before this, he coached Jürgen Melzer for twelve years, from his youth to No. 28 in the world rankings.

“Of course there is pride.”
“Of course there is pride somehow. It’s always a recognition if you get positive feedback in your job.”

“If somebody who has talent wants to work with you, then that itself is a positive feedback,” said Wetter, who statedf that it is easier for him to deal with criticism than with praise.

No time for the family
But the commitment to Gulbis does not only come with the positives for this father of two children. “After my collaboration with Melzer ended, I was really happy because I could finally spend time with my family and my sons.”

“In reality they only know me as a part-time father. Those were the first holidays during which I was at home. I enjoyed that time like crazy. When your kids are 10 and 13 years old, there is not much time left to spend with them anyway. At 18 they’ll be sitting in their car and driving to see to their girlfriends.”

Support from his wife Petra
Wetter owes a lot to his wife, Petra, who played on the WTA tour herself. “She knows the business and is very understanding about my job. Without that support it wouldn’t be possible.”

At least in November the Wetter family can look forward to seeing their father, before he returns to Hawaii for the preparation in December.

But after his 13th year on the tour Wetter knows exactly what is going to happen: “It’s the most awful month of the year. For once you’re at home and all you get are mist and rain.”

(source: http://ernestsgulbis.wordpress.com/2...ist-my-tongue/)
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #24
country flag Hakapeszi

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #25
country flag #kArLoS#
Who knows where the time goes

#kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute

After this fantastic week he will continue as Agi´s coach?
#kArLoS# is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #26
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

I hope so! Their first week together and Ági wins her first title in almost two years .

Predictability is way too boring.
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #27
country flag mon72

it's official now! (from Ági's homepage) Wetter will prepare her for the hard court season. I'll translate the whole article later.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #28
country flag SzAFC

SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice SzAFC is just really nice

A great interview with Ági in Hungarian sports magazine Nemzeti Sport. And it is official: Wetter is Ági's new coach.

Did you have a big celebration sunday night?
I didn't have much time to celebrate. After the final a I took a shower, then I had a couple of interviews, a press conference, and after that I had an autograph session. So the afternoon went by very quickly. Then I had dinner with Karl-Heinz Wetter and we talked about the future and whether we will work together in the future or not.

Was it even a question after this great week?
Well, we were both content with each other's work. But Karl said that he will be my coach only if I am willing to subject everything else to work. He thinks this is the only way for me to get back to the top. He invited me to train in Austria, because this way I can leave behind the problems and difficulties - basically everything that may take my focus away from tennis.

Did you say yes?
Of course, and I am leaving on tuesday. I want to get back to top, this is what I want the most, and I know what it costs.

That you get only one day off after this win, for example?
I would have been glad to get two days, but Karl thinks we have a lot to do until the hardcourt season. So on tuesday I have to show up and start the preparation.

Let me be a little mean. He is your coach for one day and he is that strict with you already?
He is a professional, and I trust him completely. I accept his opinion, if he says we should start on tuesday, then I will be there on tuesday. After all, his help was an important factor in winning this tournament - after 1,5 years, and in Budapest. He helped me a lot before the tournament, especially mentally, and also during the tournament, he helped me get over the hard moments. When I was in despair during a match, he calmed me down and cheered me up. I don't know how he did that, but this is exactly what I need. His professional advice also helped a lot, so all in all, I wouldnt't have won the tournament without him.
http://www.szavayagi-fanclub.hu/forum/

One world. One game. One club. One player.
SzAFC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #29
country flag #kArLoS#
Who knows where the time goes

#kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute #kArLoS# has a reputation beyond repute

#kArLoS# is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #30
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

for the first time I like on-court coaching I think she would have lost to Garbin AND Schnyder without him.

Oh, that's so great, she's really going to work hard. I think with the confidence of this title too, she finally is where she needs to be!

Predictability is way too boring.
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote