1975:The Toughest Year - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:59 AM   #16
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1975:The Toughest Year

Julie Heldman. Her matches vs Virginia Wade were legendary catfights. In the 1975 Slims chmps Wade survived 5 match points to win. THE LA Times Bridget Byrne wrote of the match: :"Two cats fighting a psychiatric ward. Wade, the jeweled puma, won."

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 3rd, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 12:37 PM   #17
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

A stunning year for sure and a magic thread you have created Rollo. Love it! So many highlights for me:
  • Frankie Durr & Nancy Richey both still in the top 10 at the age of 33!
  • Margaret Court still a force after coming back from her 2nd kid!
  • Evonne Goolagong stunning in her Wimbledon SF win over Court (shame about her final)
  • Billie-Jean King still holding court at Wimbledon
  • The USO Doubles Final is one of the most exciting womens doubles matches ever and thank goodness CBS kept the final 15-20 minutes in their vaults. A sensational win for Court & Wade who featured in 5 successive USO Doubles finals together (bar Courts 2 retirement years), with all but one being third set thrillers.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..

Last edited by tennisvideos : Mar 31st, 2009 at 12:51 PM.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 06:43 AM   #18
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Anyone wanting to use the "Women's Tennis has no depth" phrase had better stay away from 1975. There's was tons of depth, at least in the top ten.

How's this for a tough field? (I use the Blaster panel Rankings-see thread link below)

1. Chris Evert
2. Billie Jean King
3. Evonne Goolagong
4. Martina Navratilova
5. Virginia Wade
6. Margaret Court
7. Olga Morozova
8. Francoise Durr
9. Kazuko Sawamatsu
10. Nancy Richey Gunter

11. Kerry Melville Reid
12. Sue Barker

It certainly was a tough field, especially for the top 6. The rankings above mirror the WTA rankings, and TENNIS magazine's exactly. 1975 was the first year of the rankings. So initially the WTA rankings reflected reality.

Richey, Durr and Casals were #8-10 on the WTA, and Reid, Stove, and Sawamtsu were #8-10 in TENNIS. Interesting no overlap in the bottom three.

The top 6 all reachd at least 1 Slam semi. Martina was the only won to reach at least the QF in all 4. King only played one, but she won the biggest of all. There was some semblance of parity on the Slims circuit. Although no official Grand Prix series, a number of women won titles. Still Chris Evert, unofficial #1 at the start of the year pretty much remained #1 throughout the year. Billie Jean might have laid claim to #1 after winning Wimbledon, seeing as she was also the reigning US Open champ at the time. But her retirement eliminated any chance of her going out on top.

Interesting too how close Goolagong came to snaring #1. Had she beaten Evert at forest Hills, might she have been considered the best? I think so.

Some surprising doubles winners in the majors too. Chris and Martina uniting for their first major, and Martina's first in women's doubles, at the French. The big surprise winners at Wimbledon, Kiyomura and Sawamatsu at Wimbledon, and Court and Wade's dramatic win at the US Open, Court's last major triumph.

Last edited by DennisFitz : Apr 24th, 2009 at 06:29 AM.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 05:40 PM   #19
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
It certainly was a tough field, especially for the top 6. The rankings above mirror the WTA rankings, and TENNIS magazine's exactly. 1975 was the first year of the rankings. So initially the WTA rankings reflected reality.

Richey, Durr and Casals were #8-10 on the WTA, and Reid, Stove, and Sawamtsu were #8-10 in TENNIS. Interesting no overlap in the bottom three.

The top 6 all reachd at least 1 Slam semi. Martina was the only won to reach at least the QF in all 4. King only played one, but she won the biggest of all. There was some semblanc eof parity on the Slims circuit. Although no official Grand Prix series, a number of women won titles. Still Chris Evert, unofficial #1 at the start of the year pretty much remained #1 throughout the year. Billie Jean might have laid claim to #1 after winning Wimbledon, seeing as she was also the reigning US Open champ at the time. But her retirement eliminated any chance of her going out on top.

Interesting too how close Goolagong came to snaring #1. Had she beaten Evert at forest Hills, might she have been considered the best? I think so.

Some surprising doubles winners in the majors too. Chris and Martina uniting for their first major, and Martina's first in women's doubles, at the French. The big surprise winners at Wimbledon, Kiyomura and Sawamatsu at Wimbledon, and Court and Wade's dramatic win at the US Open. Court's last major triumph.
Thanks for the insights to 1975 Dennis. Love your analysis. Yes it sounds a fantastic year with so much to genuinely enthuse and excite.
Great players like Court King and Richey holding on, Goolagong majestic, Evert fantastic, Wade, Morozovza and Reid maturing, Navratilova and Barker waiting in the wings with all the expectation of youth!!!!
And what a fantastic year for doubles- Kiyomura and Sawamatsu of course, but that Wade/Court win at the US Open was absolutely fantastic to see on You Tube.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #20
country flag mick1303

mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice

Are there draws and results for this year?
mick1303 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM   #21
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are there draws and results for this year?
There are-but as you have discovered some years (like 1977) are better covered than others. In the future I'm hoping to revisit 1975. At the moment I'm working on 1973.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 06:27 AM   #22
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
The 1975 US Doubles Final was utterly enthralling. CBS wasn't planning on showing it, but as luck has it the ladies final ran overtime so the last few games were broadcast.

Highlights include rapid-fire volleying, Court's last win in a major, Wade aiming a smash at Casals (don't miss Rosie's look of "bitch" that she shoots at Virginia), Casals aiming a smash Wade's way, and of course Billie Jean, who was battling bad knees.

Women's doubles in the US saw a big leap in popularity as a result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb7RNmo1JBY

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEauzfgb5q4
How on earth did I miss this thread before? What a great couple of games at the end of this match. It was nice watching Her Majesty and Mighty Maggie win and even nicer seeing the bitch BJK get really ticked off at losing key points. Great stuff.

Margaret Court's inside out backhand overhead/volley in the highlights is an absolute beaut. It makes me want to watch more of her matches.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 09:48 PM   #23
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A Sports Illustrated report on Wimbledon in 1975

July 14, 1975
A Centre Court Case
Their pending lawsuits were moot when Arthur Ashe and Jimmy Connors went to trial at Wimbledon, and the surprising verdict went to Ashe. Just as emphatically, Billie Jean King retired a winner .

If the women's side of the tournament did not provide any courtroom drama, it dripped with sentiment, for the remarkable Billie Jean King announced early on that this would be her last major singles tournament and that she would only be returning to Wimbledon for "hit and giggle tennis." For the first time in years the Centre Court crowds were with her as she made a gutsy comeback in the semifinals to beat Chris Evert 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 and then romped over newlywed Evonne Goolagong Cawley in the Friday final 6-0, 6-1. It should be noted that it was the second time this year that King has proclaimed her retirement.

The defeats of defending champions Connors and Evert wiped out the bettors who went for the so-called "lovebird double" in William Hill's gambling tent set up on the Tea Lawn. The young Americans were engaged last year when they won at Wimbledon, but they are no longer engaged or even dating, and when that news leaked out the second week of the tournament, it hit page one in the evening fish wraps, crowding out stories of the sinking pound. Connors' frequent companion at the tournament and on the town in the evenings was British actress Susan George. "We're just good friends," she said, insisting that American singer Jack Jones is "still my man." For his part, Connors insisted the lipstick smeared on his cheek came from his mother.

In the women's singles, the usual four ended up in the semis: King, Evert, Margaret Court and Goolagong Cawley, who had beaten British heroine Virginia Wade in a splendid quarterfinal match. It was probably Wade's finest Wimbledon and it took Cawley at her flowing best to stop her. Then, in the Aussie side of the semis, Cawley had a fairly easy time with Court, 6-4, 6-4.

In the American semis Evert, who had won 28 straight matches since losing to Wade in Philadelphia last April, met a player she had never beaten on grass. When Chris won the first set 6-2, it appeared that the older generation ( King is 31, Court almost 33) was bowing out meekly. But King bowing out meekly would be like the Rolling Stones singing a lullaby. She fell behind a break in the second set, then went to work, breaking back twice to win 6-2. Once again in the third set she fell behind and once again she fought back, winning five games in a row to take the decider 6-3.

"I don't know how I got out of that one," she said. "I just love it here. I love that Centre Court. I wish I could hug it sometimes."

With King her best and Cawley playing back to the form that helped her win at Wimbledon in 1971, the women's final could have been a classic. Instead it was a fiasco. King played well but Cawley was a shadow of what she had been against Wade and Court. The Wimbledon historians had to go back in the record book to 1951 to find a women's final as one-sided as King's 6-0, 6-1 victory, and to 1911 to find one worse.

"What a way to end my career by winning the singles here at Wimbledon," said King. "I think I'm the most fortunate woman athlete who ever lived."

Her victory gave the British trivia experts a chance to show off their knowledge of the championship rolls. These gentlemen love to tell such stories as how the tournament was started back in 1877 to raise money for repairs to a horse-drawn roller and how that roller still sits at one end of Centre Court because it is too big to remove. Or how a ball struck in anger once hit the rail of the royal box. Scandalous! Anyway, the trivialists had a happy time with King. It was her 19th title, equaling the record set by Elizabeth Ryan (all in doubles) from 1914 to 1934. ( Ryan, now 83, sent King a congratulatory message.) It was her sixth singles title, putting her in a tie with Suzanne Lenglen but still two behind Helen Wills Moody, who was 8-1 in Wimbledon finals compared to King's 6-3.

King really had a good chance to pull off her third Wimbledon triple and become the alltime trophy collector in that department. She and mixed-doubles partner Roche did reach the third round, but Roche had developed a sore stomach muscle and chose to drop out and save himself for singles. In women's doubles King and longtime partner Rosemary Casals were seeded second but lost in the semis.

It was a very nice fortnight for American youth. Women's doubles was won by Kazuko Sawamatsu of Japan in partnership with a 19-year-old Californian, Ann Kiyomura, another in a long line of fine female players from that state ( King, Casals, Ryan, Moody, Hazel Wightman, Helen Jacobs, Alice Marble, Maureen Connolly, etc.)
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 09:52 PM   #24
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

King and Kazuko Sawamatsu at Eastbourne or Wimbledon in 1976.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wayfarer88/8192125898/

Margaret Court with mixed partner Marty Riessen

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 3rd, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 09:55 PM   #25
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Olga Morozova. This was her last year in the World top ten. The Soviets would curtain tennis players going abroad after 1976.

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 09:59 PM   #26
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Gourlay and Krantzke-an imposing doubles team. Karen is the one smashing.

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:02 PM   #27
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

This pic of Helen and Karen gives an idea of how tall Krantzke was-well over six feet. The shy and lovable Aussie dies suddenly of heart failure in 1977 while playing a tournament.

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:05 PM   #28
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Helen Gourlay in action. Her best result in singles was beating Margaret Court at the French in 1971 and going on to reach the final where she lost to Evonne Goolagong. She also won the Wimbledon doubles in 1977. Later Mrs Cawley, an amusing and confusing situation arouse when she played Evonne Goolagong Cawley for the Aussie singles title.

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:06 PM   #29
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Evonne Goolagong

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:07 PM   #30
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Billie Jean King. Most rankings put her at #2 in 1975 despite the fact she played in only 6 singles events. In those days Wimbledon counted THAT much.