Despite Safina's praise for her coach, I think he is WAAAAAY too negative - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #1
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute
Despite Safina's praise for her coach, I think he is WAAAAAY too negative

Both times that he talked to her on court her game COMPLETELY fell apart. Is it his fault? Well, not directly, but he is being paid to offer helpful advice. My observation was that he just barked out a SERIES of "YOU HAVE TO" COMMANDS and was focused way too much on Dinara's stroke production. All that served to do was make Dinara constantly think about her shots and second guess herself. In addition, he criticized her for being too defensive which is correct but did not let her know that she needs to have "purpose" in her point construction. Instead, Dinara just went in the other direction and started ball bashing and lost disgracefully.

Just not a big fan of her coach's negativity. On the other hand, Dinara really needs to rely on herself and control her emotions and think about how to play the points. I got very concerned earlier this year after seeing quotes from Dinara in which she claimed that her game plan would be to "hit the ball as hard as possible". That is a disaster in the making in terms of brainless tennis with zillions of unforced errors and will result in a loss of confidence (if it has not already done so). Sure, she needs to hit out on the ball, but no great player has a game plan of just hitting cover off the ball.
treufreund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #2
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Despite Safina's praise for her coach, I think he is WAAAAAY too negative

Maybe the understanding between coach and players is that he has to be that way for Safina to be motivated.

Other than that, I don't understand that approach.
Even Davenport thought it was unusual

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 USO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #3
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Maybe the understanding between coach and players is that he has to that way for Safina to be motivated.

Other than that, I don't understand that approach.
Even Davenport thought it was unusual
Should that be the case (purely hypothetical) then Dinara is still not a woman in her mind, but, rather a little girl who must be given orders. I hope she rethinks that. It really is just a downer and puts tension into her body.
treufreund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #4
country flag VeeReeDavJCap81

VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever he's doing has helped her get to #2 in the world
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #5
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by treufreund View Post
Should that be the case (purely hypothetical) then Dinara is still not a woman in her mind, but, rather a little girl who must be given orders. I hope she rethinks that. It really is just a downer and puts tension into her body.
I also think, at her level (she has been in the top 5 for some time now), Safina should not need this much coaching intervention. Especially when playing against a young, inexperienced player.

It looks worse when it does not work; giving the impression that the young player is consistently out thinking the veteran player and her coach.

That is just my opinion

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 USO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Mar 19th, 2009 at 06:39 AM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #6
country flag Slammer7
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!

Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
I also think, at her level (she has been in the top 5 for some time now), she should not need this much coaching intervention. Especially playing against a young, inexperienced player.

It looks worse when it does not work; giving the impression that the young player is out thinking the veteran

That is just my opinion
Totally agree. If you really want to be #1 you should be figuring it out for yourself. You don't have help in the slams and those are the most important matches of the season so why do you need this for a regular tournament? This coaching thing can become like a crutch to some players a crutch that they can't have in the biggest moments, so why get used to it.
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #7
country flag BuTtErFrEnA
Rena's Army

BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute

useless thing to do anyway...

I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote