Why isn't Dusty Springfield mentioned? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:20 AM   #1
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
Why isn't Dusty Springfield mentioned?

I remember hearing about Dusty Springfield being a tennis fan. How come you don't see her mentioned at Wimbledon or about her enthusiasm for tennis like you do with say Elton John or Princess Di. I also heard she was a soccer (football) fan and her favorite player was Ronaldo and the Brazilian team. Personally, I think she should be honored but that is me.
Advertisement

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:44 AM   #2
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why isn't Dusty Springfield mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
I remember hearing about Dusty Springfield being a tennis fan. How come you don't see her mentioned at Wimbledon or about her enthusiasm for tennis like you do with say Elton John or Princess Di. I also heard she was a soccer (football) fan and her favorite player was Ronaldo and the Brazilian team. Personally, I think she should be honored but that is me.
Probably because she was a lesbian and generally (and unfortunately) they haven't been celebrated by the press. God bless her - she was a legend in her own right and it was great that she was also a tennis groupie. I would love to find out more about her tour connections from Rosie etc as I think they were all really close.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM   #3
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

I've never really heard of Dusty in connection with tennis and she was never at the same level of notoriety as Princess Di or Elton John either.

She did made the shivers run up my spine with I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:59 PM   #4
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dusty is a big fave of mine, definitely one of the ATG singers. Didn't BJK and Rosie Casals stay over at Dusty's during Wimbledon one (or more) time(s)? I think I remember reading that somewhere.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM   #5
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Probably because she was a lesbian and generally (and unfortunately) they haven't been celebrated by the press.
Yeah, but I don't think that her possibly being lesbian became public knowledge until after her death. Anyway, I never knew she was a tennis fan, or that she had housed BJK and Rosie as Chrissiefan wrote. Good for her.

I loved Dusty Springfield since I as a little girl, and she was one of the all time favs of my fav Karen Carpenter. After her death, Dusty did a tune with Richard Carpenter on one of his solo lps that actually became a minor hit ("Something In Your Eyes"). Also, she tears up "The Look of Love." I love that song.

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:33 AM   #6
country flag Johnny O

Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryfoolisNJ View Post
Yeah, but I don't think that her possibly being lesbian became public knowledge until after her death. Anyway, I never knew she was a tennis fan, or that she had housed BJK and Rosie as Chrissiefan wrote. Good for her.

I loved Dusty Springfield since I as a little girl, and she was one of the all time favs of my fav Karen Carpenter. After her death, Dusty did a tune with Richard Carpenter on one of his solo lps that actually became a minor hit ("Something In Your Eyes"). Also, she tears up "The Look of Love." I love that song.
LOL! Which rock did you live under? Dusty came out in 1970 when she told everything in a newspaper interview in the UK. It didn't go down well at all and led to her more or less fleeing the UK and settling the US and her career went belly-up. It was there, living in LA, that she became a follower of the women's tennis tour and was apparently a big pal of many of the lesbians on the tour. But I don't know which ones! Whenever she returned to the UK, the media obsession about who she was sleeping with simply drove her quickly back to the States where she became an alcoholic, drug addict and a continual self-harmer. Thankfully she was 'rescued' in the 80's and settled back in the UK, a completely reformed character. Two new biographies about Dusty are just about to be published in the UK. One written by her ex-manager and friend Vicky Wickham, was published about five years ago and was fairly explosive. The tennis connection is well covered in that book and presumably will be in the new ones too.
Johnny O is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:04 AM   #7
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryfoolisNJ View Post

My favorite is her version of "You got a Friend" which came from the unreleased Jeff Barry sessions. Some of those songs including that one appeared on the 1995 CD release of "Dusty in Memphis" which featured her famous hit "Son of a Preacher Man." I liked the album "White Heat" which was released in 1982 only in the United States. Totally a different sound from her previous works. I have the vinyl cover which I got at a store in Atlanta.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:09 AM   #8
country flag trivfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Dusty is a big fave of mine, definitely one of the ATG singers. Didn't BJK and Rosie Casals stay over at Dusty's during Wimbledon one (or more) time(s)? I think I remember reading that somewhere.
Dusty was friends with them when she lived in L.A. but I never heard about her involvement in tennis when she lived in London.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM   #9
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny O View Post
LOL! Which rock did you live under? Dusty came out in 1970 when she told everything in a newspaper interview in the UK. It didn't go down well at all and led to her more or less fleeing the UK and settling the US and her career went belly-up. It was there, living in LA, that she became a follower of the women's tennis tour and was apparently a big pal of many of the lesbians on the tour. But I don't know which ones! Whenever she returned to the UK, the media obsession about who she was sleeping with simply drove her quickly back to the States where she became an alcoholic, drug addict and a continual self-harmer. Thankfully she was 'rescued' in the 80's and settled back in the UK, a completely reformed character. Two new biographies about Dusty are just about to be published in the UK. One written by her ex-manager and friend Vicky Wickham, was published about five years ago and was fairly explosive. The tennis connection is well covered in that book and presumably will be in the new ones too.
The reason that Dusty's career went belly-up in the US had far more to do with artistic differences between Dusty and her management than with her lesbianism though (as a matter of fact bi-sexuality really.She said she got turned on by a beautiful woman as much as by a handsome guy). They wanted to market her as a nightclub/cabaret act while she wanted to be a soul singer.

BTW, the Vicky Wickham book is far from a definitive biography. Although the revelations about her addictions and self-destructive behavior are no doubt true, the book is also full of factual mistakes. I've read an article in the Dusty-bulletin (Dusty fan magazine) where they go over all the mistakes and untruths, page after page after page.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:29 PM   #10
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Dusty was friends with them when she lived in L.A. but I never heard about her involvement in tennis when she lived in London.
I won't put my hand in fire over it, but I'm almost sure that I read it somewhere. I know for a fact that she used to go to Wuimbledon to watch matches though.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Well knock me over with a feather.

I had NO IDEA Dusty was a tennis fan. And what did she do to deserve this? Beautiful song, and God-awful bad 80s hair moment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkv7-PguQ-o
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:50 PM   #12
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Well knock me over with a feather.

I had NO IDEA Dusty was a tennis fan. And what did she do to deserve this? Beautiful song, and God-awful bad 80s hair moment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkv7-PguQ-o
Dusty looks just like Chris at Roland Garros circa 1985!!! They could be twins!
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM   #13
country flag trivfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamShriver View Post
Dusty looks just like Chris at Roland Garros circa 1985!!! They could be twins!
How about this hair from this clip from 1967 with Jose Feliciano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpxN3zmwMjo
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #14
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny O View Post
I guess I was under the rock of being 10 years old when she came out! I honestly did not hear about her being a lesbian until she died. My parents never mentioned it either, even though they were huge fans of Dusty and played her 60's era records all the time.

After Dusty worked with Richard Carpenter, I met him and he talked a bit about finally working with Dusty (he was honored to have her sing one of the last songs that he wrote for Karen -- especially because of KC's high regard for Dusty), and that she had been on hard times at some point. But no details, and I didn't ask.

So, maybe there was prejudice against her for being gay, but not in my community of family and friends. It wasn't an issue.

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #15
country flag Johnny O

Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
The reason that Dusty's career went belly-up in the US had far more to do with artistic differences between Dusty and her management than with her lesbianism though (as a matter of fact bi-sexuality really.She said she got turned on by a beautiful woman as much as by a handsome guy). They wanted to market her as a nightclub/cabaret act while she wanted to be a soul singer.

BTW, the Vicky Wickham book is far from a definitive biography. Although the revelations about her addictions and self-destructive behavior are no doubt true, the book is also full of factual mistakes. I've read an article in the Dusty-bulletin (Dusty fan magazine) where they go over all the mistakes and untruths, page after page after page.
Just to be clear, going back to my original post, I never said it was Dusty's coming out as Bi to a British newspaper in 1970 that led to her career going belly up. I said it led to her 'fleeing' to the US, and having done so, her career went into terminal decline. The reason it happened that way was indeed partly because nobody there knew what to do with her and partly because back in the UK, she simply went out of fashion. Nor did I say Vicky Wickham's book was definitive. I simply said it was explosive. And it was. Whether it was fictional or accurate, it was still a big betrayal by someone supposedly so close to Dusty. I was commissioned to write a book about Dusty myself, but I turned it down. Partly due to time constraints and partly because I genuinely didn't think there was anything left to say that hadn't been said. The author who accepted the commission is just about to see their work published in the UK.
Johnny O is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote