Pronunciations of Names - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #16
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pronunciations of Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
There was a cute interview were Dementieva said how to mispronounce her name in French and English, and how to say it right in Russian. She said she didn't really care how you said it.
Do you have a link to that interview?

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #17
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis stars should change their names just like movie stars. I started out Helen Laughlin, and Neely was Ethel Agnes O'Neil. Do you want Ethel Agnes O'Neil engraved on the Wimbledon plate, or Neely O'Hara?
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #18
country flag Malva

Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshingis View Post
On the subject of pronunciation, how do you pronounce Cetkovska?
tset-kov-ska

In Slavic languages 'c' (without any diacritical signs to which you must pay all the attention as they make different letters with different pronunciation) is never pronounced hard, as 'k', even when followed by 'k'. The only exceptions to this rule are foreign names and foreign words that retain their original spelling.

The pronunciation is approximately 'ts' (try to make a single consonant). For example, Čech name Moravec is pronounced approximately 'moravets'.

Here is a useful brief introduction into Čech pronunciation:

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/czech.htm

Last edited by Malva : Mar 9th, 2009 at 11:34 PM.
Malva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #19
country flag Sammm

Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious is when Greg Rusedski says Jankovic
He doesn't say YANK-O-VIC
Instead he really pronounces the J: JANK-O-VIC
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #20
country flag Joee

Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of

Anyone remember the post someone made about the Pronunciation of Safina?

Dinara wanted it pronounced Saf - IN - UH not SAF-E - NA

Serena Williams / Venus Williams / Petra Kvitova / Jelena Jankovic / Francesca Schiavone / Sabine Lisicki / Agneiszka Radwanska /

Joee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #21
country flag Joee

Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of Joee has much to be proud of

Does anyone else find that Martina Navratilova has a problem with pronouncing Lucie Safarova's surname?

I mean how hard is it to pronounce SAFAROVA.

She mumbles Shaf aj a va or something.
It seems to be different every time.

silly woman.

Serena Williams / Venus Williams / Petra Kvitova / Jelena Jankovic / Francesca Schiavone / Sabine Lisicki / Agneiszka Radwanska /

Joee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #22
country flag Sammm

Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joee View Post
Does anyone else find that Martina Navratilova has a problem with pronouncing Lucie Safarova's surname?

silly woman.

They're both Czech, so maybe Martina is pronouncing it correctly
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #23
country flag Chris 84

Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

silly woman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammm View Post
They're both Czech, so maybe Martina is pronouncing it correctly
I'm sure she is saying it properly.

Safarova is definitely NOT pronounced the way it looks in English
Apart from anything, her name is Šafřov, and I'm pretty sure that Š is a lot more like "sh" in English than "s". However, maybe someone who speaks Czech could enlighten us.

Bibiane Schoofs Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #24
country flag serenaforever
Queen.

serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by гaлит View Post
The y represents a vowel in Russian that doesn't exist in English, soooo it's kind of somewhere between the u in "put" and the i in "bit."

The name is pronounced like MY-skee-nuh. They say it at about 2:05 here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKIZsn4G46s
ok, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenus Christ View Post
we are ALL lessors under the LORD.
serenaforever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #25
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute

Nee Lee/Nay Lee

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #26
country flag Malva

Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute Malva has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyone remember the post someone made about the Pronunciation of Safina?

Dinara wanted it pronounced Saf - IN - UH not SAF-E - NA
Дина́ра Миха́йловна (Муби́новна) Са́фина

The accent mark indicates which syllable is stressed. So in her last name 'Sa' is stressed, not 'fi'.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #27
country flag PizzaMan

PizzaMan is a splendid one to behold PizzaMan is a splendid one to behold PizzaMan is a splendid one to behold PizzaMan is a splendid one to behold PizzaMan is a splendid one to behold PizzaMan is a splendid one to behold PizzaMan is a splendid one to behold PizzaMan is a splendid one to behold PizzaMan is a splendid one to behold PizzaMan is a splendid one to behold PizzaMan is a splendid one to behold

Regarding Dinara Safina:
Up until the AO 2009, I'd always heard announcers pronounce her last name as Sa-FEE-na, and during the AO 2009, she pronounced it that way herself (at the beginning of the ESPN broadcast of the final, they show a video of her talking to the camera saying, "I'm Dinara Sa-FEE-na"). But the ESPN announcers during AO 2009 called her SA-fina, which I guess is more correct since it's the female version of Safin, which is pronounced SA-fin. I think the MC of the trophy ceremony called her Sa-FEE-na.

Regarding Elena Dementieva:
For years Americans called her De-men-tee-AY-va, while British announcers called her De-MEN-tya-va. I suspect the actual Russian pronunciation is closer to the latter. Recently I've heard American announcers adopting the latter pronunciation. But I've occasionally heard British announcers use the former. I thought I once heard Elena herself use the former pronunciation, but that may have been for the benefit of an American audience.

Regarding Maria Sharapova:
Most English speakers call her Shar-a-PO-va, but Bud Collins always calls her Shar-A-pova, which sounds like something from the Cold War days (it reminds me of the Soviet athletes from the 70's and 80's that Americans were trained to fear/hate/whatever). I suspect that neither pronunciation is correct. I think the correct pronunciation in Russian is closer to SHAR-a-pova, since that's closer to the male version of the name SHAR-a-pov. But SHAR-a-pova sounds totally weird to English speakers, so it's not used. I think Maria herself says Shar-a-PO-va like most English speakers.

Last edited by PizzaMan : Mar 9th, 2009 at 11:51 PM.
PizzaMan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #28
country flag serenaforever
Queen.

serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute

Seles is sell-ess right?

Ive heard it pronounced suh-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenus Christ View Post
we are ALL lessors under the LORD.
serenaforever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #29
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post

Apart from anything, her name is afřov, and I'm pretty sure that is a lot more like "sh" in English than "s". However, maybe someone who speaks Czech could enlighten us.
SHAFF-aar-zhov-aa

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #30
country flag Malva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post

Apart from anything, her name is afřov, and I'm pretty sure that is a lot more like "sh" in English than "s". However, maybe someone who speaks Czech could enlighten us.
Exactly right. '' like hard English 'sh', and 'ř' requires special attention! See the introduction to Čech pronunciation I gave a link to a few posts up.