Where is Alfajeffster? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #1
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute
Where is Alfajeffster?

What has happened to my fave Graf fan on this site?

Thought this forum would be the best place to ask the question.. Is anyone in touch with him? Is he ok?

If anyone has an update on Alfa I'd be keen to hear it?
Of even more significance, there's this little gap in Graf's resume the size of the hole in the ozone layer: It's called Monica Seles. Was Graf the best female player of all time? She wasn't even the best in the heart of her career.
- Frank Deford, Sports Illustrated 27/8/01

Last edited by Philbo : Apr 16th, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #2
country flag mimi67

mimi67 is a glorious beacon of light mimi67 is a glorious beacon of light mimi67 is a glorious beacon of light mimi67 is a glorious beacon of light mimi67 is a glorious beacon of light mimi67 is a glorious beacon of light mimi67 is a glorious beacon of light mimi67 is a glorious beacon of light mimi67 is a glorious beacon of light mimi67 is a glorious beacon of light mimi67 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Where is Alfajeffster?

and JohnnyO?
mimi67 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What has happened to my fave Graf fan on this site?

Thought this forum would be the best place to ask the question.. Is anyone in touch with him? Is he ok healthwise?

If anyone has an update on Alfa I'd be keen to hear it?
I knew he hadn't posted in forever-but when I checked I found out he last posted in August!

I will try and dig up contact information for him Czechfan. I'm worried.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #4
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

I've been wondering about him the last few months. We PMed around August, by the time of his last post, and some time later I PMed him again but got no answer. I'm worried too, I'd like to hear about him.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #5
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I knew he hadn't posted in forever-but when I checked I found out he last posted in August!

I will try and dig up contact information for him Czechfan. I'm worried.
Same here! Something must be up to keep him away for this long...
Of even more significance, there's this little gap in Graf's resume the size of the hole in the ozone layer: It's called Monica Seles. Was Graf the best female player of all time? She wasn't even the best in the heart of her career.
- Frank Deford, Sports Illustrated 27/8/01
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #6
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

While we have not YET been successful in our attempt to track down Alfa, I do suspect he is merely out of earshot of the web at this time, probably on some retreat taking steps toward personal buddahood. The reason for my optimism is that I sent his email address a note & I didnt get a bounceback, whereas the 'closed' email accts I have with yahoo etc, if I email them, I immediately DO get a bounceback. So I dont think his account has been inactive for too long.

But there is a related story to share on this note. The very same day as this attempt to reach alfajeffster, I had on the male tennis side (menstennisforums) a very dramatic search brewing simultaneously. At the english-language Guillermo Coria site I run, I received an email a few weeks back... and like many things we get on the web telling a story of woe, I thought it was a prank or a virus. But as I read the letter over, and then over again, I began to believe it was entirely real. The details were too specific, and the desperation a little too palpable.

A woman was writing from Japan that her daughter had cancer, and had only 1 month to live. During her time in the hospital, the daughter had been watching tapes of Coria's inventive racquet-magic play from 2003-05, and using it as inspiration for her own battle. Knowing Coria was also out with troubles of his own over the past few years, she proceeded to sit in her bed watching, while making 1,000 paper birds, which is believed in Japan to bring good luck.

The mother wanted to grant her daughter this last dream to come true, and so since she only spoke Japanese & English, the kingcoria site was her only way of making contact. I went on a trial-laden search of non-answers until I was able to hook up with a spanish site coria had left messages through, which I did through a spanish friend on menstennisforums who I knew was connected to that site. I think the search for alfa re-ignited my desire to take 1 more stab at reaching coria for this little girl.

To get to the point, we finally REACHED Guillermo, spoke with the woman in Japan over the phone, and arranged to deliver the 1,000 birds to Coria. Meanwhile, Guille is, as I type, scanning personal pictures to send to this poor girl, who from the pictures looks to be about 10-12 years old.

I am really touched by all of this, as it was quite dramatic. After weeks of deadends, including connecting her to the Vilas Racquet Club in Buenos Aires (but they only spoke Spanish), and finally I figured out a way through!! And her 'month' is almost up!!! But a dream did come true today.

Last edited by daze11 : Feb 27th, 2009 at 07:53 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Daze. Between your story and Czechfan's tale of first seeing Martina you've made old Rollo misty-eyed.

Thanks and God Bless.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #8
country flag nat75

nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold

OMG! A really wonderful story!! Vamos Guille!
I also hope you guys can reach Alfa.
nat75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #9
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Incredible story Daze, and I'm happy Coria was finally reached and in touch with these Japan people. I have the feeling that, after these last few years of tennis trouble, he's somehow a more caring person, just my impression over his last appearances.
I can see, you flashy New Yorker, that your impaired-eye love for the rufinense (former?) player is still alive and kicking

PD: I guess at least I could have got you some e-mail addresses of some tennis journalists from Argentina,maybe it could have helped and somehow this story found a way to reach Coria. But I'm glad it ended up fine,well, as fine as it can get.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #10
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Much like the groundhog announcing springtime, alfa has popped his head up to look around BFTP!!!

did you know everyone was worried about you???

Last edited by daze11 : Apr 16th, 2009 at 09:13 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:56 PM   #11
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
Much like the groundhog announcing springtime, alfa has popped his head up to look around BFTP!!!

did you know everyone was worried about you???
Yes, and thanks for the concern. For a little update, I went through the whole SSI fiasco around last September, while simultaneously getting my VA status upgraded. Everything has worked out, and I'm once again on an even keel (of sorts) both spiritually and mentally. Also went through my very first serious relationship during this time (at 46, I made it pretty far), and I'm even prouder to say I made it through the end of it unscathed, save for a couple blue weeks. I even have my friend Mark trying to get me back out onto the tennis court, and I've actually unzipped the racquet bag and held the grip for the first time in about a year. Time to shake off the rust, put the TV remote down and stand up and move again. It's going to feel strange, but good.

Thanks again for the concern, I really missed being here and chatting with y'all!

Jeffster
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM   #12
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back, hon!!! Let's pm later. But for the time being, there are 2 important questions:
(1) Was your guy cute?
(2) Do you think Venus Williams is "passed" her peak and will not win another grand slam?
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #13
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

Welcome back, Jeff. A lot of folks were worried about you. Funny how these cyber acquaintances can feel like friendship! Hope you're on the court soon!
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #14
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future

Hey Alfa, when you have time to start posting again, we need you in the Steffi thread. I've enjoyed your past post there. I'm just starting to really love Graf and her game, so I look forward to more of your thoughts.

Glad you're doing a-okay.

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #15
country flag jeanmi18

jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light

OMG!!!!!I am so happy to hear from you!! so happy!
jeanmi18 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote