60s Pixies - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:50 PM   #31
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Alfa-We'll never know for certes I guess, but it has to be either the 69 Aussie final or the 69 Wimbledon final. In her book she says it was a fight with her husband that set the stage for the tank.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:59 PM   #32
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Rollo- what would you say is the best match between Court-King? Most people point to the 1970 Wimbledon Final, but neither player says it was their best tennis- and I have watched the entire second set, and, in the words of Chris Evert "I thought it stank".
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #33
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
I've never seen a Court-King match Alfa, so I'm not qualified to answer.
King thought the 70 final was awful as well.

It would be cool to get all their matches listed.

Tennisvideos would know.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:20 AM   #34
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Zummi-I think the answer to your question would be 1971-72 at the latest.
Yes, Louloubelle confirmed it was 1972.
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #35
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

This is a rather fetching pic of Darlene Hard from the ITA site. Darlene was a working class girl (she worked as a waitress for a while to support herself) who had a lot of run-ins with the USTA. Her detractors thought she had a big mouth, didn't know her place, and her on court dramatics were said to be a form of gamesmanship.

On the other hand, her admirers enjoted her joie de vivre, her matches could be very exciting , and in Britain she was adored by fans.

She sounds like quite a character, a Billie Jean King before her time.

Old Dec 7th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #36
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Bueno and Hard were a crack doubles team. In reaching the final at Essex in 1963 they had won 68 straight matches and 20 events in a row from the fall of 1962! (New York Times the source)

Smith and Turner upset them 7-5 6-4 in the finals. Smith's win at Essez gave her 21 tournaments out of her last 26. She beat Bueno in the final 6-4 11-9
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #37
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Bueno vs. Smith (Court) was a hot ticket in the 60s. Australia lured Maria to Oz in 1965 with an exhibition vs. Smith after the Aussie Open. The LTA denied reports Bueno was getting a huge kickback from the gate-though knowing Maria she was getting big money.

The 1965 Oz final was one witneses will never forget. At 2-5 in the third Bueno collapsed on court while serving, writhing about in pain cluthing her leg. Margaret didn;t know what to do-assisting someone meant a default for the injured party.

After a couple of minutes it became obvious Maria wasn't going to finish. The umpire defaulted her amid pandemonium. Only then were others able to help the Brazilian.

Days later Bueno pulled out of the scheduled exhibition in Sydney. 10,000 paying customers were not informed of this. When it was announced fans shouted abuse and police had a near riot on their hands. It took 30 minutes to clear the stadium.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 02:57 PM   #38
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not a "60s pixie" in the same way as Darlene, Maria et al, (more like a 60s Troll really) but that was the decade I was born in. So here's a shot of yours truly "au service" taken earlier this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg martina2.jpg (22.0 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by Andy T : May 18th, 2004 at 08:28 PM.
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 11:46 AM   #39
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

That looks like good form Andy! Do you like clay?
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #40
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Rollo - no, I'm no "Queen of Clay" ā la Chrissie, more of a lefty serve-volleyer. Clay's kind on the joints, though, and at my age, that matters! We have a gay tennis group in Paris (with two or three straight members ;-)), so if any of you guys are passing through and fancy a knock, let me know.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #41
country flag Declan

Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamShriver
I would have loved to see Ann Jones play. Never had the opportunity. I would also have loved to see Bueno play. Too bad that there is very little record available of their great skill and talent. At least there is far more record of King and even Goolagong. Also Lesley Turner would have been very interesting to see. A dominant clay court player at the time, who never played to any significant level after the sport hit the "big time" in the '70's.

Well Pammy - you couldn't have been very observant at Wimbledon in 1978, as Lesley Turner Bowrey returned that year to play the European circuit. You missed Roland Garros so you wouldn't have seen Lesley reach the last 16 beating one of my favourites, 12th seeded Michele Tyler, en-route. But she was given a show court at Wimbledon in losing a second round match to Virginia Wade; I saw this match on television.
Declan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #42
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Was she as gorgeous in person as the pics Declan? Turner wins my vote as the sexiest 60s gal. BTW-my London plans are confirmed-I'll PM you about meeting up if you've time from Janaury 15 to 21.

Andy-LOL-I'm a lefty too. One day......and I hear you on the joints!
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #43
country flag Declan

Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Was she as gorgeous in person as the pics Declan? Turner wins my vote as the sexiest 60s gal. BTW-my London plans are confirmed-I'll PM you about meeting up if you've time from Janaury 15 to 21.

Andy-LOL-I'm a lefty too. One day......and I hear you on the joints!

I don't live in London anymore - did until last year: sorry Rollo. Er - Lesley Turner - no, I remember thinking that she looked sun-ravaged and old - but hey, I was a teenager then and all the players looked old! I'm gay anyway so what would I know?!!
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #44
country flag Declan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan
I don't live in London anymore - did until last year: sorry Rollo. Er - Lesley Turner - no, I remember thinking that she looked sun-ravaged and old - but hey, I was a teenager then and all the players looked old! I'm gay anyway so what would I know?!!

Just checked and she was several years younger then than I am now! How did that happen?............

Last edited by Declan : Dec 14th, 2003 at 06:02 PM.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #45
country flag Andy T

Here's Lesley's career grand slam record:

Australian:
1959:QF
1960:L16
1961:L16
1962:QF
1963: SF
1964: F
1965:L16
1966: L16
1967:F
1968: SF
1969: L16
1970 Did not play
1971: L16
1972 Did not play
1973: L16
1974 Did not play
1975: L64
1976: QF
1977 (Jan) L32

French
1961:L16
1962:F
1963:W
1964:SF
1965:W
1966: Did not play
1967: F
1968: Did not play
1969: SF
1970 Did not play
1971: QF
1972-77 Did not play
1978: L16

Wimbledon
1961: L64
1962: QF
1963: L16
1964: SF
1965: QF
1966 Did not play
1967: QF
1968: QF
1969: QF
1970 Did not play
1971: L16
1978: L64

US Champs
1961: QF
1962: L16
1963 Did not play
1964: L64
1965-66 Did not play
1967: SF
1968 Did not play
1969: L32
1970-72 Did not play
1973: L32
1974ff: Did not play

Summary: Played 41; Won 2; Finalist:4;
Semi-finalist:6; Quarter Finalist:10; Last 16:12;
Last 32: 3; Last 64: 4; Last 128:0.
Made at least the semi-final in all four of the Grand Slams.

She seems to me to be one of the three forgotten stars of the 60s, Nancy Richey and Ann Jones being the other two, though to a lesser extent. Frankie Durr, on the other hand, whose record is less impressive, is much more prominent - maybe because of her style, her nationality and the fact that she was a leading light in the Slims movement.

Last edited by Andy T : Dec 14th, 2003 at 05:49 PM.