60s Pixies - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 02:47 AM   #16
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Unflattering pic IMO. She had that horsey-face like some of the Brit royals.

Wimbledon 1969.

Ann was deadly on clay. Two of her 3 grand slam wins came at the French Open.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 02:49 AM   #17
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
A younger Ann. Wimbledon 1965.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 03:04 AM   #18
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Lesley Turner-twice winner on the low Frengh clay, she had to settle for second best behind fellow Aussie Margaret Court on fast grass. Lesley was certainly first class in the looks department though. Delectable!

Last edited by Rollo : Jun 23rd, 2003 at 01:12 PM.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #19
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I'm happy as little lark today. I bought a copy of The Margaret Smith Story (her first autobio, 1965) and found out Court autographed it!
It has her writing above a stamp of the dress shop she owned with Helen Plaisted in her first retirement (1966).
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 01:13 PM   #20
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

In Billie Jean King's autobiography she lets us in on a little secret-she had a fight with Larry just before going on court for a grand slam final and "tanked" (gave up on) the match. She doesn't mention the match (out of respect for her opponent she says) but I'm guessing its the 1969 Wimbledon final because she said the crowd was heavily against her.

Here's a BBC recap of the match.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/engli...sic/1969_b.stm

In the 1960s and 1970s King dominated the game like Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf would do in generations to come and when home favourite Jones walked out to play her in the final few gave her a chance.

The only item of discussion seemed to be Jones’ kitbag, which had a huge ‘Pepsi’ logo on it. Under pressure from the BBC, the Wimbledon committee asked her to remove the name, which she did for the final.

King had thrashed her at Wimbledon two years before and while Jones had a magnificent win over Margaret Court in the semi-final, many people thought lightning was not about to strike twice, especially because of the physical and mental strain that match had caused Jones.

It seemed to be going to form when King took the first set with relative comfort. But Jones, a world class table tennis player before she turned to tennis, worked hard and battled her way back into the game.

Amazingly, she abandoned the usual baseline defensive tactics which had earned her the French title in 1961 and 1966. Jones started to take the net position from the usually more aggressive King.

Now the huge crowd on Centre Court started to play their part and their partisan support for Jones seemed to annoy the American.

Jones took her chance with both hands and swept through the third set for the greatest moment of her career.

Last edited by Rollo : Jun 23rd, 2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 11:13 PM   #21
fallan

fallan is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy tennis videos

Hey,I agree I think womens tennis was great in the 60,s Maria Bueno
was a peach and a wonderful tennis player.Question? Ive contacted the BBC on numerous occassions requesting information about Wimbledon
tennis videos starting from the first open championships which I believe was 1968 up to 1980 Ive yet to receive a reply WHY? Im in my 50,s now
(male by the way) and there must be thousands like me in the UK not to mention hundreds of thousands across the world who would pay the price to see their heroes of the past in all their glory.Laver,Newcombe,Borg,King,Navratilova,Court. Oh those were the days! Fallan
fallan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:05 AM   #22
louloubelle

louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
I'm happy as little lark today. I bought a copy of The Margaret Smith Story (her first autobio, 1965) and found out Court autographed it!
It has her writing above a stamp of the dress shop she owned with Helen Plaisted in her first retirement (1966).
I am sssssoooooo jealous Rollo!
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 03:34 AM   #23
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
It has generally been assumed that the Grand Slam final Billie Jean tanked was the 1969 Australian Open final against Reverend Court which she lost 6-4 6-1.
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #24
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Hi there louloubelle and Zummi. Welcome to the Blast Fallan-I'm hoping you can share some stories with us

Tennisvideos is your best bet for locating tapes from the 60s. you can send him a Private message, or look for his posts about videos in General messages. If you can't get in touch let me know and I'll hook you up.

I really lucked into that book Loulioubelle. It would have sold for a lot more if the owner had connected the stamp to Court's dress shop! Speaking of Court...

Quote:
It has generally been assumed that the Grand Slam final Billie Jean tanked was the 1969 Australian Open final against Reverend Court which she lost 6-4 6-1.
The score certainly backs Oz 69 as the "tank" Zummi, just wondering if there were any other reasons this match was assumed to be the one.
I'll have to find the quote in BJK's book. All I recall was

1. She had a fight with Larry before going on court.
2. The crowd was against her.

Maybe because of #2 I assumed/guessed it was Wimbledon 69. The Brits were wildly in Ann's corner that day.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:05 AM   #25
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
Wimbledon 1969 fits both descriptions but I have a hard time imagining Billie Jean throwing away a Wimbledon final as much as she disliked the crowds on that day. Billie Jean said she did not play her best though in her autobiography, Ann thought otherwise.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #26
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Zummi-After reviewing all the clues I'm convinced you're right.
We have:

1. A fight between BK and Larry the morning of the final. There's a problem with Oz-Larry wasn't even in Australia. There's nothing that says they couldn't have fought over the phone however! And long distance half way around the world was expensive in 1969. Billie Jean spent about $250 on a 70 minute call to Larry in Sydney, and her prize money at Sydney was only 270! And lord knows a fight over the phone can be worse than in person.

2. She says it was right after her first knee operation. That makes it 1969 for sure.

3. I thought it was Wimbledon because she mentions the crowd, but of course the OZ crowd could have been against her too. What's worse in OZ there were no crowds for the Aussie that year. 2,000 was the biggest crowd all week. She wrote a largely negative article about he Aussie tour in World Tennis.

4. Business-wise early 1969 was uncertain. Mcall more or less fired the 4 women by not renewing their contracts late in 1969. Maybe Billie Jean and Larry argued about what to do??? The situation was more settled by Wimbledon.

Finally, as you say, tanking Wimbledon doesn't make sense. We'll never know for sure, but I bet you're right.

Last edited by Rollo : Jul 6th, 2003 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #27
louloubelle

louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of
My info suggests that the 69 Oz Open was a tank. It was in Queensland the temperature was like over 40oC each day and the first 'Open' was apparently extremely disorganised. All these things, as well as her injury led to her letting the match slip.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:45 AM   #28
Zummi

And I don't think she ever returned to play at the Australian Open again until 1982. And funnily enough, the 1983 Australian Open was to be her final singles event.

Louloubelle, when the Australian Open settle on Kooyong permanently?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #29
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Zummi-I think the answer to your question would be 1971-72 at the latest.

I just noticed Evonne Goolagong entered senior events as far back as 1967. World Tennis lists her as Eva Goolagong
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #30
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not so sure that BJK "tanked" the 69 Australian Open Final. She beat Margaret the year before in Australia (in straight sets), when Madge was just coming back onto the tour. I also have a hard time believing she would ever have tanked a match against Margaret. Billie Jean to this day has trouble discussing Margaret, let alone giving her praise- that's how much she disliked losing to her.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote