60s Pixies - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:55 PM   #1
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
60s Pixies

The 1960s was a great decade for women's tennis. We had the Latin sensation Maria Bueno

Then a shy Aussie farm girl named Smith who turned into a Court....

Of course who can forget the tennis Queen who started as a
wee little Moffitt but turned into a King

Supporting characters were aplenty. Ann Haydon Jones struggled forever to finally nail down her Wimbledon glory in 1969. Fiery Frenchwoman Francoise Durr never bored, and who knew where young guns Virginia Wade and Rosie Casals would end up. Aussie gals were everywhere, with pretty Lesley Turner leading the pack after Smith-Court.

Come on in and let's talk/dish dirt on this most international of all
tennis decades.

Last edited by Rollo : Jun 23rd, 2003 at 01:10 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:05 PM   #2
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Durr with her 1967 trophy at the French.

If you visit the "Grand Slam results" section here in the Blast there is a report on her win.
Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:54 PM   #3
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future
Unfortunately, I didn't start following tennis until 1971, and it was probably 1974/75 for I became aware of the game's "history." I did have the fortune of seeing Maria Bueno play in the mid 1970s when she was well past her prime. One year, she and Billi Jean King played in an early round of the tournament -- must have been 1977. Billi Jean had been steadfast in her refusal to watch any of Bueno's previous matches because she wanted to remember the Maria she knew from the 1960s -- then she wound up actually having to play her. Billi Jean won fairly easily, although it was tougher than you might have expected. One year, Bueno made it all the way to the round of 16 before losing to Sue Barker in a three-set match. I've seen there stats and know Lesley Turner and Ann Jones must have been wonderful players, but I've never seen a match involving either of them.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2002, 09:23 AM   #4
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of
I would have loved to see Ann Jones play. Never had the opportunity. I would also have loved to see Bueno play. Too bad that there is very little record available of their great skill and talent. At least there is far more record of King and even Goolagong. Also Lesley Turner would have been very interesting to see. A dominant clay court player at the time, who never played to any significant level after the sport hit the "big time" in the '70's.
Old Aug 31st, 2002, 01:53 PM   #5
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Lesley Turner was tough, uncomprimising and a very disciplined player from all reports. She tried to bring these qualities into her roll as Australian Fed Cup captain and was subsequently pushed aside really.
Old Sep 1st, 2002, 12:52 AM   #6
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I'm going to try and track titles for each year. Here's 1963. I'll add info as I get it.

Listed by Lance Tingay's Unofficial Top 10 list

1963 Singles titles

13 Margaret Smith (Court)
10 Ann Jones
09 Lesley Turner
06 Maria Bueno
06 Renee Schuurman
05 Jan Lehane

Others

Durr won at Cannes and the Coupe Poree(both on clay)
Richey won 4 events. 2 hard(Dallas and Phoenix) and 2 clay
Moffitt(King) won 2. The Southern Cal(Hard) and the Irish(Grass)
Rosie Casals won two hard court events in California
Vera Sukova(Helena's mom) won 3. The Czech, Paris and Argentine, all on clay.
Virginia Wade won Milan on Clay

Doubles titles
Darlene Hard 20
Maria Bueno 17
Robyn Ebbern 12
Margaret Smith 11
Ann Jones 10
Schuurman 08

Durr won 4. The Coupe Poree, Menton,Monaco and the Coupe Calvet.
Tegart won 4.
Moffitt won 2 with Graebner.
Casals won 1.

Bueno and Hard were regular partners, as were Smith(Court)/Ebbern and Jones/Schuurman.

One amazing match was the final at Merion, where Bueno/Hard beat Ebbern/Smith 6-8 16-14 6-4!(54 games!)3 match points were saved by the winners.

I used World Tennis as my source and my be missing some results.

Last edited by Rollo : Sep 1st, 2002 at 01:00 AM.
Old Sep 1st, 2002, 11:53 AM   #7
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for starting this thread Rollo! And great to see 2 of the 60s pixies up for nomination for induction into teh Hall of Fame in 2003 - Francoise Durr and Nancy Richey. Here's hoping they both get voted in.

Jem & PamShriver - thankfully not all film records from the 60s have been dumped. In order to preserve some of the history of our sport, I have purchased over $40,000 worth of old matches from the 50s, 60s and 70s and have heaps of matches with Bueno, Court, Goolagong, Durr etc and some of the best matches that featured Jones, Turner etc. Perhaps the greatest Jones match I have is the 1969 Wimbledon SF when she beat Court in a fantastic match 10-12, 6-3, 6-2. The quality of tennis in this match is simply sensational. Jones was indeed a talented player.

Once again, thanks Rollo!
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2002, 11:55 AM   #8
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Rollo, it will be great if you can continue to summarise each year like you did for 63. I enjoy seeing those figures again.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #9
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

After louloubelle pointed out Court probably had a lot of singles titles I'm trying to track down all the results form the 60s. I'll have 1964 done soon.

In the meantime I found a GREAT article and controversy from the 1964 Italian. Two matches had great drama.

#1 Lea Pericoli (Italian cutey) vs Karen Susman (USA-1961 Wimbledon champ)

Susman had a rep for stalling between points. The Italians had a rep among foreigners for, shall we say, creative line calling. Some Italian players actually overruled their own umpires when they felt the umps were too patriotic! Remember that in reading what follows fronm World Tennis-

It's second round match with Pericoli leading 6-4 0-6 4-3 when THE INCIDENT happened. Susman protested when she felt a ball was out that Pericoli hit. The ump gave Lea the point. "Karen told Lea she was cheat. lea told Karen she was playing the way the balls were called, whether good or bad. Karen replied that she had heard of this sort of thing in Italy. The match continued. Again Karen called Lea a cheat. This time Lea replied in Italian (If we could only get THAT quote!). Pericoli finally won 7-5 after Susman missed an easy ball on match point.

The match created such a controversy that Karen's husband Rod wrote the magazine-saying Karen never called Lea a cheat, calling the reporting biased, and claiming Pericoli pretended not to understand English when Susman appealed to her to overule the cheating ref.

Pericoli THEN wrote a reply to Rod.'s letter in which she stated Karen DID call her a cheater. According to Lea Karen said during a changover after winning the game containing the disputed point. "Bad luck, it does not pay to cheat, see?"

Don'r ya love a good catfight?

I leave the last word on this match to Ted Tinling, who wrote of it in "Love and Faults".
Quote:
Karen Susman playing Lea Pericoli in Rome with 2,000 Romans cheering Lea's every shot. Karen questioning the 4th ghastly line call given against her. "I always play to the umpire's decision", said Lea with an angleic smile. "Have you no eyes, no conscience?, said Karen. Lea won the match
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #10
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

The second was the women's doubles semi on an outside court.
Women never played center court at Rome in the 60s unless it Maria Bueno. Matches could start off with two fans and end that way (even the finals!) unless "drama" somehow enticed fans-then suddenly thousands would show up.

#2 seeds Lehane/Tegart vs. Lazzarino/Pericoli

The Italian team of Pericoli and Lazzarino were famous for beating opponents in Rome who were put off by their constant lobs and the shouts of the crowd. This was their most dramic match and has a hilarious quote at the end.

Quote:
The Italian team has developed a lobbing technique that has to be seen to be believed. Tegart took most of the overheads as the Aussies won set one 6-3. But reinforements were at hand. A match was completed on the center court, and thousands of enthuisastic Italians rushed over to see their favorites. They proceeded, in typical Italian fashion, to encourage their girls. Silvana (Lazzarino) sorrowful after missing a ball, turned her large, dark eyes to the crowd in consolation. She got it from thousands of cheering throats. "Dai, dai, Silvana!" they yelled. The Aussies remained remarkably calm through this demonstration and others which were to follow.

They kept coming in and smashing while their opponents lobbed higher and higher. Tegart smashed and smashed and smashed. The Aussies hit 400 overheads in one set. Every now and then the Italians would slam a low drive across the net.

The Aussies reached match point. A short lob went up over Tegart, who angled it sharplu crosscourt. People started to get up to leave, butbto everyone's amazement the match was not over-far from it! Silvana, anticipating the angle of the smash, had taken off in the direction of the adjacent court as fast as her little legs could carry her and, with both feet off the ground she lobbed the ball over the head of the two astonished Aussies. It landed smack on the Baseline. Those who saw that point will never forget it.

The games went on. 9-9 10-10. Finally the Itlains pulled out the second set at 12-10. The crowd now split into two segments. One part began to clap and cheer every time the Aussies made an error; the more circumspect Italinas tried to shush them. This, in turn so outraged the first group that they booed the second.
Other players cam eover to see what all the fusswas about, waiters who were supposed to be serving cappachinos hung over the balconies and journalists discussed the ethics of this sort of tennis. And all this time the Aussies smashed and smashed and smashed. Finally, as dudk was settling over the Fro Italico, the Italians won at 6-3 in the third. Lea said afterwards, "
If we play normally against these girls we have no chance. So we play abnormally-how you say, atmospheric tennis?
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #11
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Pericoli in Rome-1954. Photo copyright of photographer Palmas.

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:30 AM   #12
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Lea with Maria Bueno in 1959.
[IMG]
http://www.tennisitaliano.it/edispor...256bff004b60fb[/IMG]
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:47 AM   #13
country flag Colin B

Colin B is a name known to all Colin B is a name known to all Colin B is a name known to all Colin B is a name known to all Colin B is a name known to all Colin B is a name known to all Colin B is a name known to all Colin B is a name known to all Colin B is a name known to all Colin B is a name known to all Colin B is a name known to all
Can anyone confirm a Billie-jean quote (regarding Ann Jones) I once heard. I can't remember it verbatim but it went something like:

"Hit chest high to the backhand of the 'bigger' girl; she can swing under 'em, she can swing over 'em but she sure as hell can't swing around 'em!"

I can't remember where or when I heard it but it amused me at the time.

William Shakespeare (anticipating George W Bush?)
Colin B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 02:42 AM   #14
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

You've got a great memory Colin. I can confirm it. BJK's autobio is hands down the best I've ever read by a female pro for fun quotes. On p. 146 she writes:

Quote:
..ladies, here's a hint: if you are playing a friend who does have big boobs, bring her to the net and make her hit a backhand volley. That's the hardest shot for the well-endowed. "i've got to hit over them or under them, but I can't hit through them ', Ann Jones used to moan at me."
King never missed a chance to praise Ann. Jones joined a four woman pro group with King, Casals, and Durr in 1968.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 02:44 AM   #15
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Ann in 1969-the year she finally won Wimbledon after more than 14 years of trying.