Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - World Group II...again... - Page 178 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 13th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #2656
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - USA vs. UKR - Serena, Xtina, Sloane, Liezel.

According to twitter:
-Mary Joe Fernandez said she did ask Vania to play but Vania was recovering from illness & thought it best not to go.

-Vania then says, " im confident that the team picked for the first round tie is sufficient in Ukraine!"

-Vania also says, "healthy now, but physically not where I was, working on that now, estoril first"

-Regarding Venus: "Fed Cup captain Mary Joe Fernandez said Venus passed on Fed Cup to gauge her health situation after playing in Miami, Charleston."

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 13th, 2012 at 04:22 AM.
Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 13th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #2657
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread-Serena, Xtina, Sloane, Liezel to play-Vania,Venus decli

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) - Serena Williams is on the U.S. Fed Cup roster for matches against Ukraine on April 21-22, but her sister Venus is not.
``She just played Miami and Charleston, so she's trying to gauge now her recovery, how much she can play,'' U.S. Fed Cup captain Mary Joe Fernandez said Wednesday about Venus. ``She's, I believe, planning on playing a couple of tournaments now before the French Open.''
Venus recently returned to action after being sidelined for more than six months. She was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, Sjogren's syndrome.
Joining Serena, a 13-time Grand Slam champion, on the team picked by Fernandez were Christina McHale, Sloane Stephens, and Liezel Huber.
The best-of-five-match series will be on clay at Kharkiv, Ukraine.
The country that wins will be promoted into the main Fed Cup group in 2013 and be able to compete for the title. The loser will drop into World Group II.
Serena Williams is making her second consecutive Fed Cup appearance after winning twice against Belarus in February to improve to 6-0 in singles play in the team competition.
``For me, obviously it's a big bonus to have someone like Serena there, not only in terms of (how) your chances increase tremendously, but the effect she has on the rest of the team, what she brings to the table with motivation, the work ethic, how she talks to the players,'' Fernandez said. ``I think it really just is priceless.''
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #2658
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - USA vs. UKR - Serena, Xtina, Sloane, Liezel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
According to twitter:
-Mary Joe Fernandez said she did ask Vania to play but Vania was recovering from illness & thought it best not to go.

-Vania then says, " im confident that the team picked for the first round tie is sufficient in Ukraine!"

-Vania also says, "healthy now, but physically not where I was, working on that now, estoril first"

-Regarding Venus: "Fed Cup captain Mary Joe Fernandez said Venus passed on Fed Cup to gauge her health situation after playing in Miami, Charleston."
Thanks for the info
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #2659
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread-Serena, Xtina, Sloane, Liezel to play-Vania,Venus decli

Interesting Note
-IF USA beats Ukraine to get back into the World Group, and Serbia beats Russia then USA will not be seeded in the World Group. Meaning they would play either Russia, Serbia, Czech, Italy.

-If Serbia loses, then USA will be the 4th seed and play Serbia, Japan-Belgium, Spain-Slovakia, Germany-Australia.

-And of course, if USA loses then none of this matters.

I really want Serbia to win the title even though it means USA will be unseeded if they get past Ukraine.

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #2660
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Should be expecting our first blog tonight. Christina, Sloane, and Jamie are most likely do ones. Serena and Liezel didn't last time, so not sure about them

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #2661
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
Should be expecting our first blog tonight. Christina, Sloane, and Jamie are most likely do ones. Serena and Liezel didn't last time, so not sure about them
The new school seems to be more into blogging, with the exception of Lisa of course
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #2662
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

It appears only Christina will be writing a blog this week. Daily.

April 17, 2012

I am definitely excited to be back playing Fed Cup! Fed Cup weeks are some of my favorite weeks of the whole year so I was definitely looking forward to coming here to Ukraine and I am happy we made it on the long flight – I came from New Jersey - and finally arrived yesterday.

This is my first time in the Ukraine. I have never played against any of the players on the Ukrainian team but I have seen them play before and I know we are going to need to be ready like we always are.

I have to say one of the coolest things here is that our hotel gave each member of our team and Mary Joe her own personalized golf cart with our names for getting around the grounds from the courts to the hotel to the clubhouse where we eat our meals. I love that we each get our own!

We practiced yesterday afternoon for the first time, Sloane Stephens, Jamie Hampton and I, and it was good. We did a number of 2-on-1s, we moved each other around, which was great yesterday after the long flight to just hit in. Today we did two practice sessions for two hours each and it was another really great practice. Right now it is about getting used to the speed of the outdoor clay court and sliding on it the right way.

It is a lot different here on red clay from the fast indoor hard court we played on against Belarus in Massachusetts in February and the surfaces we have played in tournaments lately so we are getting adjusted these first few days.

Playing on outdoor clay comes at a good time though as it is great preparation for the upcoming tournaments in Europe.
Back in February, we had a really good week of practice leading up to our win, just like we always do. I won my first career Fed Cup matches and I think it helped me for my next few tournaments so I am definitely hoping to have another great week here!

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 18th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #2663
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread-Christina blogs-They get golf carts with their name on

Today's Practice

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 19th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #2664
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread-Christina blogs-They get golf carts with their name on

The venue looks like it is in the middle of nowhere with few stands. The clay on the court looks nice though.

At least the hotel is super nice for them

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 18th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #2665
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - Wednesday Practice Pics!

Is there no Serena?
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #2666
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

She must not have arrived by the time they went to practice.

Old Apr 19th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #2667
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

MJF blog - April 18

It has been a great week so far here in Kharkiv. The weather has held up nicely, we are in a great facility and we get to walk to the courts, which makes things a lot easier. Serena arrived today so it is nice to have the whole team here now and we have a few more days to prepare before we start matches on Saturday.

We are the favorites going into this tie but we know the challenges this team can present. Our team just has to be prepared 100 percent because you can’t take anything for granted.

We have not really been in this position as the favorites too often. In Worcester in February, once Victoria Azarenka withdrew from the tie, we became the favorites, but it is a different role for us. At the same time, however, you are there to do the work at hand and you approach each match the same whether you are the favorite or the underdog.

I have said this before, but Fed Cup produces a lot of different kinds of tennis, and a lot of different nerves. And being the underdog and having come through before, we know we can’t overlook anyone, including this team, and you have to be ready. Fed Cup is sometimes where players really shine and they play great tennis and you have to be ready for anything to happen. We are approaching each day as we usually do, getting a lot of reps done, working hard and doing all the prep work to be ready to play this weekend.

The girls are so excited about their personalized golf carts and not only do they each have one but they have their names on them. Everybody is thrilled. Serena was cruising around in hers today, going backwards and forwards. We might have to make an obstacle course for her tomorrow but they are a nice little bonus to have.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #2668
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Christina McHale blog - April 18

We had another great day of practice here in Kharkiv, we did two hours in the morning and then hit again for two hours in the afternoon. We did a lot more ponts today, which was good, as we are are still trying to get adjusted to the court.

After afternoon practice, Sloane and I we were driving in our personalized golf carts up to the clubhouse where we have our meals, and as we were pulling in to go to dinner, we saw Sloane’s coach, Roger Smith, and Jamie at the driving range here. So of course we had to go join them!

Sloane went first and she was really good because she has played golf before. This was my first time at a driving rang and I was actually pretty impressed with my own swing and they have a really nice golf course here. Sloane hit the ball the farthest but mine, I have to say, for my first time, wasn’t too bad. I didn’t swing and miss once! So I guess that it is a positive, it is a success if I didn’t whiff it.

It was weird swinging and hitting at a lower angle but it was a lot of fun, I really like trying other sports. And it is fitting that we try golf since we are driving all over in our golf carts!
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #2669
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - Wednesday Practice Pics! New blogs!

Christina blog - April 19

It was another good day of practice again here in Kharkiv. Today Sloane and I hit in the morning with Serena and we did some two-on-one rotations. It was cool again getting to practice with her. Then in the afternoon I practiced for about an hour with Jamie doing points.

We are starting to taper down a little bit with our on-court practices. Tomorrow we will just have one hit and then hopefully be ready for the start of the matches on Saturday. We still maintain our fitness routines off the court but on-court we are doing more points now rather than a lot of drilling.

In practice when Serena hits against us, she is really intense and for those couple minutes and we have to make sure we keep up so that we are giving her a good enough workout. Sloane and I were just trying to get through the practice! It is definitely helpful just to be around someone who has achieved as much as she has and to see the way she practices and be part of the drilling is very cool.

Off the court, I think I saw Sloane’s coach Roger out there playing golf again. I don’t know if we’ll have time to hit on the actual course here but Roger said tomorrow he is going to play a little and I think Jamie is going too. But I think I will stick to the driving range – that is more my style!

Now off to the official dinner tonight…
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #2670
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - Wednesday Practice Pics! New blogs!