Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - World Group II...again... - Page 166 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #2476
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - April 16-17, In Stuttgart! Lost, Hey there WG II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njay16 View Post
I always thought that was something she thrived on, the pressure of Fed Cup. Especially after how valuable she was in the US beating Russia last year. Also, to prove herself in the absence of Venus and Serena, she could step up.
That's how it started off, but the tie vs Belgium was the straw that broke the camel's back. Aside from some young Americans such as Stephens, McHale, and Vandeweghe who are making some good marks this year, she's really stepped things up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #2477
country flag simonsaystennis
Team USA

simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - April 16-17, In Stuttgart! Lost, Hey there WG II.

If the USTA fires MJF, that would be so ridiculous. She has done a GREAT job as captain. Picking Melanie and Alexa in 2009 was one of the best decisions in years, given the fact that no top players were stepping up.

Vandeweghe ~ Mattek-Sands ~ King ~ Hampton ~ Riske ~ Glatch ~ Capra ~ Albanese ~ Brengle ~ Craybas ~ Rogers ~ Stephens ~ Boserup ~ Davis ~ Keys ~ Hardebeck ~ Brodsky ~ Gibbs ~ Pegula ~ Min ~ Townsend ~ Duval ~ Vickery ~Kiick
simonsaystennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #2478
country flag swim4life227

swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't blame the WS for not playing Fed Cup. The dates for each tie come at the worst time possible. The first is RIGHT after the AO and Serena (most years) is usually worn out, especially since she's won doubles and singles in 09' and 10. Then the second tie comes right in the transition of IW/Miami to clay court. Nobody wants to fucking play especially if you are a top player when you have clay to focus on. Then the final is played right after the YECs where you are potentially playing 5 TOP EIGHT ranked players throughout the course of a week, plus a maybe a bit of doubles.

TBH they should do how Davis Cup does it and aim for early March (right before IW) and then mid-July and mid-September.
swim4life227 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 05:20 AM   #2479
country flag Njay16
She's back. Why you mad?

Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute

The whole thing just needs to be reformatted, with the entire Fed Cup being decided in a week.
Njay16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #2480
country flag simonsaystennis
Team USA

simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njay16 View Post
The whole thing just needs to be reformatted, with the entire Fed Cup being decided in a week.
This. Hell, Junior Fed Cup even realizes that.

Vandeweghe ~ Mattek-Sands ~ King ~ Hampton ~ Riske ~ Glatch ~ Capra ~ Albanese ~ Brengle ~ Craybas ~ Rogers ~ Stephens ~ Boserup ~ Davis ~ Keys ~ Hardebeck ~ Brodsky ~ Gibbs ~ Pegula ~ Min ~ Townsend ~ Duval ~ Vickery ~Kiick
simonsaystennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #2481
country flag Harju.
Ferosh Warrior ♥

Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute

@ people still talking about Shenay's rumor. It CAME FROM the one bitter poster who never had ONE good thing to say about USTA and the girls (except for Glatch).

I don't buy the story of Beth and MJF not in a good term. MJF carried USA into the final twice without any of the WS playing. That is VERY IMPRESSIVE. If they fire MJF this year, then it's ridiculous. Sure, she shouldn't have played Oudin this week, but I'm sure she would have picked Beth/X-tina if Beth wasn't injured.

Harju. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #2482
country flag swim4life227

swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute swim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute

Playing Oudin was her only option. Xtina was a given seeing as she's had some experience at Fed Cup and she's had a couple good wins the past few weeks. Oudin hasn't been in great form lately but she wasn't last year and she decimated Schiavone. Oudin has experience at Fed Cup and that was her only choice. Going with someone else (like CocO in the final last year) would have been too risky. Overall, the German team was probably too big of an ask.

I think they should do it all in one week with 16 teams. The first two rounds would be 2 singles/1 double rubber and the last two would be the usual best of 5.
swim4life227 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #2483
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim4life227 View Post
I don't blame the WS for not playing Fed Cup. The dates for each tie come at the worst time possible. The first is RIGHT after the AO and Serena (most years) is usually worn out, especially since she's won doubles and singles in 09' and 10. Then the second tie comes right in the transition of IW/Miami to clay court. Nobody wants to fucking play especially if you are a top player when you have clay to focus on. Then the final is played right after the YECs where you are potentially playing 5 TOP EIGHT ranked players throughout the course of a week, plus a maybe a bit of doubles.

TBH they should do how Davis Cup does it and aim for early March (right before IW) and then mid-July and mid-September.
Amen.
auntie janie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #2484
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

I know I haven't been around for a while but now I'm back

-For the format, I think there should be a 16 team World Group to be honest. First round in February, with 4 groups of 4 and each group has a host. Then, the top 4 go on to the final 4 in November

-As for next year, I think as long as we don't draw Belarus we don't need the WS. I mean we're either playing Japan/Argentina, Slovenia, Switzerland, or Belarus. Japan should be easy, especially since Kimiko might not even be around by then. Argentina doesn't have anyone else in the top 150 besides Dulko (and she doesn't play much Fed Cup), Slovenia only has one good singles player (Hercog), and if we have a home tie against them then it will be extremely easy since Hercog sucks on hard, and Switzerland will be without Schnyder, as she said the tie against Sweden was her last. But against Belarus we would need a Williams sister

-About MJF and Beth, I think that something needs to be done because we clearly need Beth in our team. We might have won a rubber against Germany if we had her. We could've even won the whole tie, probably not, but Beth playing definitely would've improved our chances . The last thing we need is to be like France where there is so much drama and fighting with Rezai and Bartoli hating each other, and Razzano and Bartoli hating each other, and Golovin complaining about their fighting, etc. MJF should leave if she can't get along with Beth. To be honest, we didn't play that well to reach those two finals. Argentina in 2009 was a joke, we got lucky against the Czechs because Benesova is a choker, we got lucky against France that Bartoli, Rezai, and Razzano (their top 3 at the time) all skipped, and that Cornet can't handle the pressure of Fed Cup, and then we got lucky that Russia was a one-man team thanks to the volcano . Without the WS, we deserve to be in WG II

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #2485
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

^Bump. Next weekend is Japan vs. Argentina.

Japan is VERY likely to win it.

So Japan, Slovenia, Belarus, and Switzerland moved up to WG II with USA, Slovak Republic, France and Australia.

USA, Slovak Republic, Australia, and Switzerland are the 4 highest ranked teams and will take on one of the 4 lowest teams (France, Japan, Belarus, Slovenia).

I believe it is the 4 highest teams take on the 4 lowest which means USA can only play Japan, Belarus, France and Slovenia. But Japan could move up in the ranks after a win and change everything.

Japan and Slovenia are great draws, but Belarus would be dreadful France would be interesting, depends on who plays since it would be in the US.

As for Fed Cup Format, I want 16 draw again. More like Davis Cup. The WG II thing is a mess. A tad confusing. And I hate the whole one week idea, lessens the chances for home atmospheres and while it can lead to some big names playing it, it can also lead to big names not playing because of being injured say during that one week. I like it being spread out. But it needs to be spread out better. I hate the whole QFs and SFs being done before April is over, but Final is not until November.
Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #2486
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - Draw for WG II decided July 17th.

I'm hoping for Japan or Slovenia
Belarus wouldn't be so bad. But it would probably go down to doubles and if Govortsova can win a singles match

France can be extremely tough depending on who plays

Old Jul 17th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #2487
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

We drew Belarus . I think the main player we have to worry about is Vika . Hopefully the Williams Sisters will play
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #2488
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

Of course

Vika and Govortsova are tough if our team has no Williams. Olga and Vika are good at doubles too, so we need a Williams to play which is likely since the tie will be in the US.

Old Jul 17th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #2489
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

World Group Draw
Russia (s)(c) vs. Spain
Belgium (s)(c) vs. Serbia
Italy (s)(c) v Ukraine
Germany (c) vs. Czech Republic (s)

World Group II Draw
USA (s)(c) vs. Belarus
Japan (s)(c) vs. Slovenia
Slovak Republic (s)(c) vs. France
Switzerland (c) vs. Australia (s)

(s) = Seed
(c) = Choice of Ground.

Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 06:03 AM   #2490
country flag hellas719

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - Belarus after Australian Open!!! In the US!

Of course we got them
Why couldn't we just get Switzerland or Slovenia for once?