Monica Seles' New Book (April 2009) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Monica Seles' New Book (April 2009)

Monica Seles has a new book coming out in April of 2009.

Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM   #2
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Monica Seles' New Book (April 2009)

The title is :Getting a Grip: On My Body, My Mind, My Self (Hardcover)
304 pages by Avery Press.

The Amazon.com description reads:

Product Description
For those of you tuned into this past season’s Dancing with the Stars, it’s hard to believe that spectacularly fit former tennis champion Monica Seles struggled with binge-eating and depression.

Getting a Grip chronicles Monica’s success on the tennis circuit where, at age sixteen, she became the youngest winner in French Open history. For three years she dominated the tour, racking up eight Grand Slam titles, and charming the media at post-match conferences with her trademark giggle. She seemed unstoppable until a deranged Steffi Graf fan plunged a knife into her back during a match in Hamburg and turned her life upside down. Her injuries healed but the emotional trauma was deep. With no support from the WTA and her number-one ranking falling, Monica sunk into a depression. Hiding from the media and disappearing from the tennis world, she turned to food for comfort. She spent more than two years in seclusion, trying to fight off the fog of despair.

Back in the public eye but far from recovered, she continued the battle against herself—grueling six-hour workouts were sabotaged by secretive late-night binges—and she was assaulted with criticism about her weight from her trainers, nutritionists, and, most brutally, the press. Playing with an extra thirty pounds and devastated after losing her father/coach to cancer, she was never able to regain her former dominance on tour.

After an excruciating injury forced her to take time off from tennis in 2003, Seles embarked on her own journey. She abandoned the arduous workouts and the punitive diets. As she uncovered the painful emotional reasons that had been the trigger for her binge-eating, she finally found the peace and balance she had been searching for.

Monica Seles’s determination, amazing talent, and touching vulnerability make her story both incredibly human and inspiring. By sharing her own narrative, she hopes to motivate other people to take control of their lives and their own happiness.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I must say she looks great on the cover shot!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #4
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

She looks fantastic. I will certainly buy this as she is one of my idols so I will be very interested to read about her personal demons and how she overcame them
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #5
country flag nat75

nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold

I hope the book is as great as the cover shot. I bet it will be.
nat75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #6
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling the book will be a letdown, but ofcourse, I will have to purchase a copy. Can't wait!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #7
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

I read the first one when it came out and was one of the first to buy it! I felt it was written by someone else and just a publicity game for $. There was practically nothing about tennis in it. Of the 10-8 third set French, we get this insight, "It was so close. It was 6-all. Then it was 8-all. Then I won. I was thrilled!" Not exactly what I was expecting, but she was still on tour though.

She looks better now than she ever has, and I don't just mean her weight. Maybe she's found true contentness. I'll read it obviously, but it will be a check-out from the local library.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #8
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future

I read the first book and felt that it didn't really reveal anything about the "person" that is Monica Seles. I hope this one is better. I'm glad to see Monica looking so very good!

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #9
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting! I am a huge fan of Monicas! I'm really looking forward to this coming out. I hope she gets out there on the talk show circuit to promote the book as much as possible. Hopefully she'll also do a book tour, with a stop near the baltimore/dc area .
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #10
country flag SelesFan70

SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute SelesFan70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
I read the first one when it came out and was one of the first to buy it! I felt it was written by someone else and just a publicity game for $. There was practically nothing about tennis in it. Of the 10-8 third set French, we get this insight, "It was so close. It was 6-all. Then it was 8-all. Then I won. I was thrilled!" Not exactly what I was expecting, but she was still on tour though.

She looks better now than she ever has, and I don't just mean her weight. Maybe she's found true contentness. I'll read it obviously, but it will be a check-out from the local library.
At 304 pages there BETTER be some insight in there!

Monica looks stunning. I guess happiness on the inside translates to happiness on the outside.

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #11
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

chris evert was interviewed on monday for a program on 20/20 about monica - so heres a heads up about the broadcast:
http://chrisevert.net/CE-News.html
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #12

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone please upload the program on youtube, if possible. Would love to see it!
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #13
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping this book will be nice and actually written by herself.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #14

R&J uploaded a clip from 20/20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2bsYSOYRic
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #15
country flag Sammm

Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute Sammm has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at the 20/20 clip.
At the end Monica plays a little bit of tennis on the court in a tennis court - my God, is she thin now. Plus she seems to be hitting a single-handed forehand. Noooooooooooo!