1938 - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #61
country flag ugarte

ugarte is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1938

The Essex County Invitation Doubles

2round
Wynne Nancy-stevenson Dorothy D Andrus-henrotin 4/6-6/3-9/7
Stammers-lumb D Morrill Polly-painter M 6/4-7/5
Marble-fabyan D Page Anne-le Boutillier 6/0-6/0
Coyne Thelma-hopman Nell D Winslow-mcrae Marylin 6/3-6/4
ugarte is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #62
country flag ugarte

1/4finales
Marble-fabyan D Coyne-hopman 6/2-6/3
Wynne-stevenson D Stammers-lumb 6/3-3/6-6/4
Bundy-workman D Wolfenden-canning 1/6-6/1-6/3
Van Ryn-stark Caroline Babcock D Mathieu-johnson V 6/2-6/2

1/2 Finales
Marble-fabyan D Stark-van Ryn 6/3-6/2
Wynne-stevenson D Bundy-workman 6/3-6/0
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #63
country flag DavidK

DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the additions Rollo and Ugarte, Chiswick Park and the California tournaments have been edited in.

Re: Beverley Hills, I don't know where I got the Marble d. Workman result. Could you check to see if the score I had for that is correct for Marble d. Winslow? (6-3 6-4 I think)

I think the Riviera results would be fascinating. So far our sources are heavily weighted to the US, it would be great to have sources that balance us out. It was interesting how often the Eastern Europoeans - like Kovac, Florian, Somogyi - would go to the Riviera. Other than their Grand Slam appearances that seems to be all we ever see them.

On to Rye (which was one town away from where I grew up)
David

Last edited by DavidK : Feb 8th, 2009 at 02:53 PM.
DavidK is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #64
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

BOURNEMOUTH, Eng., April
26--(AP)_Anita Lizana of Chile,United States women's singles
champion, advanced to the third round of the British hard courts
tennis "championships. tpday witha 6-3, 6-0 victory over Mrs. G.
Lucas.Dorothy Andrus of New York Miss F. B. Cook, 7-5, 7-5.

2R Stammers d Rosemary Thomas 6-3 5-7 6-1

*Note to David-as I don't see Andrus in the 3R in your draw perhaps the Andrus result is a 1R result?

Lizana sprained her ankle while walking up the pavilion steps at the end of her third round match.

A newspaper reportsd that Alice Marble will set sail for Wimbledon abord the Queen Mary on May 11th.

Beverly Hills Midwinter Tennis Chmps, April 9-

1R Dodo Bundy [2] d Mary Jane Metcalf 6-1 6-0

QF Marble d May Doeg 6-1 6-1

FI Alice Marble [1] d Barbara Winslow 6-3 6-4 (this confirms your score David)

On April 26th 5 time Mexican champ Maria Tapia md Mexican Davis Cupper Angel Roldan. She will continue to play under her married name.

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:24 AM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #65
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

On April 8th it was revealed that Helen Jacobs has written a book called Barry Cort, using the pen name H. Braxton Hull. Hull is Helen's middle name. The book is set in Nevada (a region where Jacobs grew up) and is about the relationship between two boys.

The book is dedicated to HWB, no doubt Helena Worth Bingham, Miss Jacob's close friend of many years and daughter of the US Ambassador to Britain.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #66
country flag DavidK

DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light DavidK is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Rollo,

Or is it perhaps saying Betty Cooke d. Andrus in the 2nd round?

Other tidbits have been added

[quote=Rollo;14966338][left]BOURNEMOUTH, Eng., April
26--(AP)_Anita Lizana of Chile,United States women's singles
champion, advanced to the third round of the British hard courts
tennis "championships. tpday witha 6-3, 6-0 victory over Mrs. G.[size=2][font=Times New Roman]
Lucas.Dorothy Andrus of New York Miss F. B. Cook, 7-5, 7-5.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #67
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Your assumption about Cooke-Andrus is a safe one. The newspaper report I saw did have Andrus as winning, but the lack of a score for her in American newspapers after that confirms her lose IMO.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #68
country flag ugarte

Hi David
Just To Added These Results

The Irish Championships-dublin July 4-9

Finale Wills-moody Helen D Jarvis Rita 6/4-6/2

The Middle States Womens Grass Courts Championships-philadelphia July 4-9

Finale Pedersen Helen D Hirsch Millicent 7/5-7/5

Doubles Final Wolfenden V-canning Pat D Pedersen-hirsch 6/4-7/5
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #69
country flag ugarte

The Longwood Bowl Championships-chesnut Hill July 18-23

Finale Bernhard Helen D Wolfenden Virginia 6/3-6/3

Doubles Final Dean-madden Cissy D Germaine-nakano 6/3-6/2

The Pacific Southwest Championships-los Angeles September 23-october 2

Sf
Bundy Dorothy D Mathieu Simone ???
Fabyan Sarah Palfreyd Lumb Margot ???

Finale Bundy D Fabyan 6/4-6/4
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #70
country flag ugarte

Doubles
Sf
Fabyan-wheeler D Wynne Nancy-coyne T 6/4-6/2
Mathieu-lumb D Hopman-stevenson D 0/6-7/5-8/6
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #71
country flag ugarte

The Pacific Coast Championships-berkeley October 8-16
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #72
country flag DavidK

That's all I have from ALT, elsewhere on BFTP and what Rollo and Ugarte have contributed.

Rollo - the biggest gap I'm aware of is having only from the Semis of the Pacific Southwest, so that might be a good place to start cross-checking with Wright-Ditson if you could. OF course I'm happy to edit in anything you find. Also if there's any re-formatting or rearranging you would suggest please let me know.

I still have 1937 and the last half of 1936 to go.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #73
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

David-I added in results for the PSW, tohugh it's still not complete. I also added in results for the Pac Coast. I can get full results from this event through the Oakland Tribune.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #74
country flag DavidK

Thanks Rollo,

By the way if you haven't run across it yet, Google Books has scanned the whole 1921 Wright and Ditson Guide (for the 1920 season)

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&...esult#PPA16,M1
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #75
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Thanks Rollo,

By the way if you haven't run across it yet, Google Books has scanned the whole 1921 Wright and Ditson Guide (for the 1920 season)

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&...esult#PPA16,M1
They even have Wright and Ditson online running back to the 1890s! When someone has time we can work on mining them-they are invaluable for US results!
Closed Thread