The Beautiful Colombia. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 07:59 AM   #1
country flag Hayato

Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute
The Beautiful Colombia.

So with the one and only South American WTA tournament coming up, what does the average person imagine when they think of Colombia?
Probably nothing but cocaine, coffee, violence, kidnappings and terrorist groups.

Well, here are some facts about Colombia that may surprise you.

Colombia is the #1 world producer of flowers with 3,500 types of orchids. 29% are endemic.
Colombia also has 14,000 species of butterflies & 456 species of mammals.
Over half of the flowers sold in the United States come from Colombia.

Colombia is the only South American nation that borders the Carribean and Pacific oceans.

The northernmost part of the Andes, the longest mountain chain in the world, lie in Colombia.

The nation contains more species of birds than North America and Europe combined.
Colombia was ranked 9th out of 149 countries on the Yale and Georgetown University 2008 Environmental Performance Index.

Colombia is the second most biodiverse nation per square kilometer in the world.
Colombia's forests comprise 10% of the world's total biodiversity.
Colombia has 257 protected natural zones with an area larger than Belgium, Denmark and Holland together.

Nearly 1/4 of Colombia's national territory is comprised of the Amazonian region.

Modern cities. 41 million people call Colombia home, making it the 3rd most populous country in South America after Brazil and Argentina.

Colonial architecture. Last year, Colombian tourism grew by 13.5%,
while overall world tourism grew by 6% and Latin American tourism grew by 7%.

#1 world producer of emeralds

#3 world producer of bananas.

Colombian coffee is the richest coffee in the world.

The country has 85 different ethnic groups, creating a true melting pot of European, indigenous and Afro-Caribbean communities.

Colombian novelist Gabriel García Márquez, nobel prize winner, is the most read novelist in the world.

Pop-star Shakira is one of the most well-known artists in the world, being a sell-out from the middle-east to the United States.
With her voice, poetic lyrics, musical talent and belly dancing, she has won Grammy awards
and has sold over 60 million albums, as well as being a notable philanthropist.

Juanes is arguably the highest selling Latin American artist in recent years.
The pop-rock musician has sold over 10 million albums and has won 17 Latin Grammy awards- more than any other artist.

Juan Pablo Montoya won the International F3000 championship in 1998, and the CART Championship Series in 1999,
as well as victories in some of the most prestigious races in the world.
He is the only driver to have won the premier North American open-wheel CART title,
the Indianapolis 500 and the 24 Hours of Daytona, all at the first attempt.

The people, who are considered to be amongst the happiest citizens in the world

Since President Alvaro Uribe took office in 2002 and as of December of 2007, over 46,000 members of illegally armed groups had demobilized.
In 1993, 21% of Colombians trusted the police. Now this figure has risen to 60%.
Hayato is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 1st, 2009, 01:40 AM   #2
country flag Hayato

Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Beautiful Colombia.

Bogotá's high altitude makes it the 3rd highest major city in the world.

The European settlement in Bogotá was founded in August 6, 1538.
Almost 8 million people currently live in the metro area.

Colombia is the second oldest democracy in the world.

Bogotá's "El Dorado" International Airport is the largest and also the most expensive in Latin America. It is the 3rd busiest in Latin America.

Bogotá has one of the most extensive bike route systems of any city in the world.

Bogotá is host to the world's largest theatre festival "El Festival Iberoamericano de Teatro"
(with over 300,000 vistors attending bi-annually)

Bogota has more bookstores and libraries per capita, than any other large city on the planet.
In 2007 Bogotá was named by UNESCO as the "Book Capital of the World".
Bogotá also has the most visited library in the world.

Bogotá is known as "The Athens of the Americas", for its zelaous cultivaiton of art, education and democracy.

To this day Colombia has more poets per capita than any other nation.
It was once dubbed as the land of poets.

Bandeja Paisa is probably the most typical Colombian dish.

Santuario de las Lajas

Old Feb 1st, 2009, 01:57 AM   #3
country flag Filipinos

Filipinos has much to be proud of Filipinos has much to be proud of Filipinos has much to be proud of Filipinos has much to be proud of Filipinos has much to be proud of Filipinos has much to be proud of Filipinos has much to be proud of Filipinos has much to be proud of Filipinos has much to be proud of Filipinos has much to be proud of Filipinos has much to be proud of

You totally convinced me to visit Colombia

Nice job
Filipinos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 03:26 AM   #4
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Nice

ATP: Novak Djoković

Crazy Frenches! Gilles Simon | Alizé Cornet
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 07:10 AM   #5
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

nice
now i know more about Colombia and not just the negative facts!

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 01:59 PM   #6
country flag Juarito

Juarito has much to be proud of Juarito has much to be proud of Juarito has much to be proud of Juarito has much to be proud of Juarito has much to be proud of Juarito has much to be proud of Juarito has much to be proud of Juarito has much to be proud of Juarito has much to be proud of Juarito has much to be proud of Juarito has much to be proud of

Amazing job, guy I wanna visit Colombia right now
Juarito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM   #7
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The Beautiful Colombia.

Nice job Ben! What a beautiful country Colombia is!
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM   #8
country flag netimka

netimka is a name known to all netimka is a name known to all netimka is a name known to all netimka is a name known to all netimka is a name known to all netimka is a name known to all netimka is a name known to all netimka is a name known to all netimka is a name known to all netimka is a name known to all netimka is a name known to all

Great post and your country
netimka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:01 AM   #9
country flag Hayato

Thanks guys. I'm glad that you 6 people can appreciate the beauty of Colombia like me.
I hope one day we will all end up on an exotic San Andrés beach, or climbing a snow-capped Andean peak, or even swimming in a mud volcano!

This is a video that everyone should see, particularly those who only know Colombia, or should I say, Columbia ( ) for all the bad things.
I got a lot of my stats from this video
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:37 AM   #10
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

I did a school report on Colombia in 6th grade, but mostly only found the negatives

ATP: Novak Djoković

Crazy Frenches! Gilles Simon | Alizé Cornet
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:26 AM   #11
country flag Exiliado

Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold

Ben, I have to say muchas gracias. Un abrazo desde Suiza.
I hope we can eat a bandeja paisa soon. Maybe in March?
Exiliado is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #12
country flag Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise

Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise is a glorious beacon of light Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise is a glorious beacon of light Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise is a glorious beacon of light Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise is a glorious beacon of light Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise is a glorious beacon of light Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise is a glorious beacon of light Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise is a glorious beacon of light Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise is a glorious beacon of light Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise is a glorious beacon of light Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise is a glorious beacon of light Yo _Amo_ A_ Gise is a glorious beacon of light

Buenisiiimoooo

Colombia es genial!! Ademas tienen a la cantante latina mas hermosa del mundooo!!!
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #13
country flag Hayato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiliado View Post
Ben, I have to say muchas gracias. Un abrazo desde Suiza.
I hope we can eat a bandeja paisa soon. Maybe in March?
Gracias amigo I hope so too! Maybe you can in March, I will probably have to wait a few more years. Just save some for me. Suiza? You're always on the move.
Will you be able to attend Copa Colsanitas again this year?
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #14
country flag Exiliado

Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold Exiliado is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranadalara View Post
Gracias amigo I hope so too! Maybe you can in March, I will probably have to wait a few more years. Just save some for me. Suiza? You're always on the move.
Will you be able to attend Copa Colsanitas again this year?
No, I am flying on 4th March to Bogota. I hope Cata get well and Yuliana can play. Nice to know you are all right in Australia.
Exiliado is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote