Big West - 2009 predictions - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM   #31
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Big West - 2009 predictions

About five years ago in a big junior tournament I recall seeing a banner with a picture of a player Tiffany something on it. This banner had a few of the top ranked juniors in each age division. I'm pretty sure it was Tiffany Mai because she was a blue chip caliber player in the Girls 12s.

Just for fun I looked up some of the girls she defeated in the 12s.
Arianna Colffer
Jordan Saanford
Cierra Gaytan-Leach
Catherine Isip

Last edited by gouci : Mar 3rd, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM   #32
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

I would strongly recommend that UCI recruit girls 6 years in advance.

Heck, 6 years ago I was still playing hockey, had a little bit of hair left and was 40 lbs. lighter.

Here is a great one for you just for chuckles; I know you were just making a point about the past and this young lady has some game but not at the Top 150 college level.

But this is a true story and funny since you brought up how successful this recruit was as a 12 year old.

TRUE STORY

A girl is a national level swimmer from age 5-12. Only begins playing tennis tournaments at age 13 when burned out on swimming.

But 5 years later... same girl has dedicated herself to getting better as well as growing stronger and bigger naturally. From non player at age 12 to offers from Pac 10 and Big 10 schools at age 17. Ultimately goes to Pac 10 school and reaches #35 in singles and #9 in doubles.

TRUE STORY. Care to guess who?

Maybe the USTA should read this and realize rushing kids up is not helping either. And sadly why so many US kids/parents resent not getting their 'deserved' scholarships that they had 'expected' years before.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM   #33
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

The Long Beach St. coach.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM   #34
country flag form

Ok, that was an easy one.

You win a can of used tennis balls.

My guess is the toughest part of recruiting anymore for all coaches is determing which kids still want to achieve more vs. which ones that only want to achieve a scholarship and no longer have the drive to improve?

With just 8 kids, one or two mistakes can cripple a program for years.

UCI looks to have a bunch of highly motivated girls this year, led by Hammell and Bartlett. Well done to your coach.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM   #35
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
....which ones that only want to achieve a scholarship and no longer have the drive to improve?
This seems to be the case in the Ivy Leagues in IMHO. One reason why they always seem to underachieve in both men's & women's tennis with all the talent they acquire.

Did you know Hammel was her HS valedictorian? Takes drive to achieve that honor.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:46 PM   #36
country flag form

Yep....

Grady is a 3.95 GPA... Bengson had one B through college with all other A's.

It can be done.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM   #37
country flag gouci

1st computer rankings 2009

#34 SDSU. Jumped 34 spots up to become the biggest mover up. This will help Long Beach St.

#27 UCI. Jumped 33 spots up to become 2nd biggest mover up. UCI needs to point to this ranking and recruit, recruit, recruit!
Maybe they can pick-up a verbal this week before this ranking goes back down.

#42 Sac. St. If possible I think Sac. St. may even move up next week. The only team they lost to below them is now San Diego at #47. They beat Pepperdine that jumped 17 spots to #40 and Washington jumped 15 spots to #23.

Thank goodness St. Mary's and Cal Poly are tied for #75 and haven't fallen out of the rankings completely. Did they change the range, now the ranking committee can adjust Nos. 50-75?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #38
country flag gouci

2009 Non-Conference Strength of Schedule

1. UC Irvine

#7 Cal
#10 USC
#11 UCLA
#34 SDSU
#40 Pepperdine
#42 Sac. St.
#43 Denver
#45 SMU
#56 FIU
#75 St. Mary's

Nevada - ranked last season
Louisiana Lafayette - ranked last season
LMU - ranked last season
Hawaii
San Francisco

2. Long Beach St.

#7 Cal
#10 USC
#22 Fresno St.
#34 SDSU
#40 Pepperdine
#43 Denver
#56 FIU
#75 St. Mary's

N.C. St. - high #36 this season
Louisville - high #39 this season

Cornell - ranked last season
Dartmouth - ranked last season
LMU - ranked last season

3. Pacific

#22 Fresno St.
#25 Boise St.
#32 Tulsa
#42 Sac. St.
#73 Oklahoma St.
#75 St. Mary's
UNLV
- high #39 this season

New Mexico St.
San Francisco
Fresno Pacific
Santa Clara

Oral Roberts
Weber State

4. Cal Poly

#10 USC
#13 Stanford
#23 Washington
#40 Pepperdine
#46 Oregon
#75 St. Mary's

LMU - ranked last season
Hawaii
San Francisco

Santa Clara
Memphis

- Cal Poly needs trim the 2 cupcakes from its schedule.
- Playing Conference USA is a good idea but try to get #32 Tulsa or #49 Marshall.
- Cal Poly needs to add 2-3 more teams ranked in the 50-75 range and do it at the start of the season!

5. CS Northridge

#11 UCLA
#16 Arizona St.
#40 Pepperdine
Arizona
- high #75 this season

UAB - ranked last season
Louisiana Lafayette - ranked last season
LMU - ranked last season
Harvard
Hawaii
San Francisco

Columbia
Southern Mississippi
Memphis

6. UC Santa Barbara

#59 Texas Tech
#75 St. Mary's
Washington St.
- high #44 this season

Dartmouth - ranked last year
LMU - ranked last year
UAB - ranked last year
Hawaii
San Francisco
Harvard
Fresno Pacific
Santa Clara
Eastern Washington

San Jose St.
CS Bakersfield

- UCSB also needs to lay off the 2 cupcakes and play ranked teams.

7. UC Davis

#13 Stanford
#16 Arizona St.
#42 Sac. St.
Arizona
- high #75 this season

San Francisco
Santa Clara
Montana
Montana St.

Portland St.
Portland
San Jose St.
UC San Diego
UC Santa Cruz
Sonoma St.

Last edited by gouci : Mar 10th, 2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #39
country flag form

- Schedules are done 18 months in advance.... LB has their 2010 schedule printed in their media guide. It's apparently been done since September.

- Sometimes a coach may adjust a future schedule not knowing what there team may look like due to graduation of a top player or two.

- There are only so many matches you can get people to play you. I agree with your Cal Poly premise but they are also 3 1/2 hours from LA and the Bay Area. It can be difficult to get teams to travel that far for just one match.

- Sadly LB's schedule has softened again. NC State out, Louisville, Dartmouth, Cornell and Nevada all out... most were all ranked when that schedule was put together in fall 2007. And one was a late add when someone else cancelled their spring trip.

- BUDGETS: Given the economy and the huge cuts coming to California public unis (cuts and fee increases)... don't be surprised to see things become even weaker due to a lack of travel budgets. Travel is about the only discretionary area in a budget.

- OVER THE TOP: Aside from giving your top players a 'Blalock' chance to win a ranked opponent, any more than two of those Top 15 matches doesn't do much for you. A loss is a loss... ok, it's not as bad as an unranked loss but you still get ZERO points from it. Pacific actually has a good 'team' schedule... though they aren't giving their $87,000 professional many ranked matches at # 1.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #40
country flag gouci

Alexa Lee

Countdown: Lee Signs with the Mustangs
by James Hill, 20 March 2009

Alexa Lee, a 5-Star recruit from Bermuda Dunes, Calif., knows exactly where she will attend school starting in August.

Alexa, who turns 18 on March 12, has signed an early letter of intent with the California Polytechnic State University - commonly known as Cal Poly - located in San Luis Obispo.

"I decided to go to a school which offers the education I wanted," said Alexa, who will graduate from La Quinta High School this spring. "Right now, I plan to major in history. I also really love the downtown part of San Luis Obispo."

Naturally, Alexa is also excited about the Mustang tennis program and her future coach, Hugh Bream.

"I really like how Coach Bream organizes his workouts. Everyone pushes everyone to improve and work better as a team. Hopefully, my hard work and dedication will bring everyone together and contribute to the team effort."

Alexa is ranked No. 98 on the national list by TennisRecruiting.net, and is 20th in the Southwest and California. She held a national ranking as high as No. 76.

The 5-foot-7 left-hander also had scholarship offers to two other California schools, UC Irvine and St. Mary's.

But Cal Poly, one of most respected schools in the nation, seems to be a perfect fit for Alexa. A strong student, Alexa has earned Honor Roll distinction the past two years at La Quinta.

On the tennis courts and in school, Coach Bream believes Alexa will be a valuable member of the Mustangs.

"We are excited to have Alexa joining us at Cal Poly," said Bream, in his ninth season as head coach of the Mustangs. "She is a player with some special talents beyond her five star rating, in my opinion. Alexa is very athletic, has a strong left-handed serve and is an exceptionally clean ball striker.

"I believe she will really blossom when she begins training hard daily with the other top DI athletes on our team. Most importantly Alexa is a great person who we believe will add to the strong team atmosphere we have at Cal Poly."

Bream also cited the success of Mustang junior Brittany Blalock from Palm Desert, the area of California's Coachella Valley, where Alexa resides. Brittany was recently selected as the Big West Women's Tennis Player of the Week.

Alexa comes from an athletic and tennis-playing family. Her two older brothers, Hunter and Tyler, both age 21, who play tennis for the University of California, Davis. Her mother, Evie Lamat Lee, played volleyball at Texas State.

Both Alexa and Brittany share the same personal coach, Andy Scorteanu, who is the head tennis pro at the Indian Ridge Country Club. Scorteanu has worked twice weekly with Alexa for the past year.

"I think she loves to work hard," Scorteanu said of Alexa. "She brings a lot of energy to the table. Alexa definitely has the potential to be an all-court player. Once she gets there and works hard, she will be a force to be reckoned with."

Alexa brings some good credentials to Cal Poly, from her junior tennis activities.

She was a semifinalist at the Roxy Girls 18s at Newport Beach, Calif., and she advanced to the quarterfinals of the Interscholastic Championships West.

She reached the round of 16 at the prestigious Copper Bowl tournament and the third round of the USTA Girls National Championships.

As a member of the La Quinta High School Blackhawks team, Alexa was the All-Desert Valley League singles champion in 2006 and 2007, and won the doubles crown in 2005 and 2008. She was also a doubles quarterfinalist at the California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section Championships in 2005.

Alexa was named The Desert Sun Tennis Player of the Year in 2006 and 2007.

Summing up her style of play, which she will take to Cal Poly, Alexa said, "I play a very aggressive style of tennis. I've also been a lot more consistent over the past few years."
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #41
country flag gouci

Re: Alexa Lee

Nice to see Big West recruits getting some publicity!

What was not mentioned was that higher ranked Kristina Smith committed to UCI 1st. So that UCI offer may have been off the table when Alexa Lee committed to Cal Poly.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 02:38 AM   #42
country flag form

Re: Alexa Lee

UCI still has two more spots... that offer was ON the table.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #43
country flag gouci

Bubble Teams

I took a close look at the records of the teams in the 25-60 range and these are the bubble teams I came up with. Rest of top 45 teams not mentioned have probably already secured their at-large bid.

Fighting for the last 10-11 at-large spots (best wins in parenthesis)

Strong bubble - not listed in order of likelyhood

31. Auburn - (#21 LSU, #35 Mississippi, #46 William & Mary, #74 Marshall)
35. Mississippi - (#17 Alabama, #44 Utah, #51 San Diego, #63 Iowa)
37. Indiana - (#34 Wake Forest, #48 Princeton, #69 Marquette, #72 Western Michigan)
39. Sacramento St. - (#36 Washington, #56 Pepperdine, #59 Nevada)
42. Florida International - (#35 Mississippi, #40 South Carolina, #47 Long Beach St.)
44. Utah - (#38 Boise St., #59 Nevada, #68 Texas Tech)
46. William & Mary - (#27 Texas, #51 San Diego, #74 Marshall)
48. Princeton - (#46 William & Mary, #52 VCU, #63 Iowa)
49. UC Irvine - (#39 Sac. St., #42 Florida International, #59 Nevada)
56. Pepperdine - (#46 William & Mary, #57 Oregon, #71 UNLV)

Weak bubble - not in order

28. DePaul - (#37 Indiana, #63 Iowa, #64 Minnesota, #72 Western Michigan)
33. Illinois - (#37 Indiana, #69 Marquette, #71 UNLV, #75 Boston College)
38. Boise St. - (#53 BYU, #59 Nevada, #71 UNLV)
45. Yale - (#48 Princeton, #72 Western Michigan, #75 Boston College)
47. Long Beach St. - (#29 SDSU, #49 UCI)

Last edited by gouci : Mar 24th, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #44
country flag form

Re: Bubble Teams

Dude, you are in complete denial over your school.

Do you understand how they evaluate? What the five catagories are and how they use them. Start with this... nobody outside the Top 40 gets bumped... so you can drop that right away. Then you have some auto bids mixed into your 'bubble'... William & Mary, Sac State and Pepp (though # 56) are going as nobody else in there league is close to them.

OK, look at 41-44 as nervous
45, 46 and 56 are IN... Automatic bids (if 45 Yale loses to Princeton, then Princeton in and Yale out)
Look at 47-50 as hopeful that they might jump 44... but they are too far back points wise... at least as of today

Ranked wins versus in counts ... but Nevada ain't going
Head to head counts if breaking a close decision
Ranking points count... if more than 1 pt apart... so UCI could only gain ground up to 45... and that won't get you in.

Wins over 51-75 are helpful for ranking but don't then add more when trying to jump a 'bubble' team. Example: Pepp's wins over Oregon and UNLV give them their ranking but do not further add over someone ranked in front of them Those wins were used to gain the ranking but add no more. Where it could help is a 47 LB over 29 SDSU or 49 UCI over 39 Sac St. Those would be compared with Utah or Texas A&M. Utah could have some exposure there?

Reality:

Short of beating Pepp and then LB at Big West Tourny, UCI most likley can't gain enough ground to get automatic. And if you beat LB then you are the automatic anyway. LB has exact same path. Thus we are both 'weak bubble' as of right now. The Pepp matches could change things.

And if Pepp loses to either LB, UCI or both, that would slide Pepp further back so I'm not sure a Pepp win would be very valuable in the end either if Pepp were to lose again? But Pepp still gets in because they will beat St Marys in conference tourney.

Sort of a self fulling situation.... win and you could get at large but you won't need it. Don't win Big West and you are going to come up just short.

Accept it.

Last edited by form : Mar 24th, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 04:01 PM   #45
country flag gouci

- No teams ranked in doubles.

Singles Rankings

86. Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly
92. Hannah Grady - Long Beach St.
96. Jenifer Widjaja - Pacific

- Widjaja somehow drops without losing. I'm glad I'm not a Pacific fan cuz they can somehow find a way to disappoint.