What is your tennis rating? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #61
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is your tennis rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desariofan View Post
ROFL most of your ratings are some BS! GUYS? For real? No matter how talented you are, it takes at least 2-3 years to develop a consistent single stroke. SO, to rate yourself a 4.5 after ONE YEAR of match plays is ridiculous LOL.

Here's the REAL guidelines:

If you are a total beginner, you are a 2.0-3.0

If you can serve inside the box 15 out of 20 times, or can rally up to 5 strokes in a point, you are a 3.5
See, this is the part I don't understand. If I can spin serves in 20 out of 20 times does that mean I'm a 3.5??? What if I have a good serve that, on some days I can serve 90% of the time in (incl. second serves), but on others I cant?
When does the criteria apply?

Also, that requirement of keeping up a rally- does the pace of the rally count? If I can maintain a slow rally of 50 strokes, but i'm really bad at fast paced rallies what happens to my rating?

This is why I don't really believe in these ratings. They are too arbitrary.
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 10th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #62
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepInDaBigCITY View Post
See, this is the part I don't understand. If I can spin serves in 20 out of 20 times does that mean I'm a 3.5??? What if I have a good serve that, on some days I can serve 90% of the time in (incl. second serves), but on others I cant?

Also, that requirement of keeping up a rally- does the pace of the rally count? If I can maintain a slow rally of 50 strokes, but i'm really bad at fast paced rallies what happens to my rating?

If you are even asking these questions, then you are probably a beginner yourself. It's as simple as that.
desariofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #63

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you are even asking these questions, then you are probably a beginner yourself. It's as simple as that.

Why don't you just answer the questions instead of coming across as presumptious and arrogant?
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #64
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Why don't you just answer the questions instead of coming across as presumptious and arrogant?
presumptuous? no.
Arrogant? Maybe.
Stating the facts as I see them? Yes.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #65

Quote:
presumptuous? no.
Arrogant? Maybe.
Stating the facts as I see them? Yes.

You're more of an idiot than I thought.
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #66
country flag DefyingGravity

DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a USTA rating of 5.0 actually, I got rated a couple of weeks ago.
The Upstarts: Muguruza, Garcia
The Legends: Seles (9), Clijsters (4), Davenport (3), Testud

Last edited by DefyingGravity : Dec 26th, 2009 at 03:21 AM.
DefyingGravity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #67
country flag Bahia

Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future

Woah that's really good.
Bahia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #68
country flag desariofan

Quote:

You're more of an idiot than I thought.
So here comes the personal verbal attack? hmmm...
I'll just leave it at that then.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #69
country flag desariofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementievavenus View Post
USTA rated 5.0 is very good. I'll probably won't be there any time soon. Or ever will LOL.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #70
country flag ¤CharlDa¤
Team WTAworld

¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends of the countries. I'd say I'm a 5.5 (played College tennis in Canada) and was ranked over 5.0 for a Tennis Canada league here.

But now that I look at the post in this thread, I'm probably more of a 5.0. But then again, this rating system is kinda useless. The goal of it is for league organizers to get an idea of how you play, so they can find decent partners. Everytime I've been in the US, and said I was 5.0 or more, I've always played with players my strenght or lower.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #71
country flag Inger67

Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I was this good at tennis Maybe a 3.0 for me.

I bowl much better than I play tennis I kind of wish my skills would have been directed at this sport rather than others.

I go to a Big Ten college (University of Michigan) and the kids here are AMAZING.

Edit: Evan King (M) and Taylor Fournier (F) go here!
Venus Williams • Urszula Radwanska • Lyudmyla Kichenok • Garbiñe Muguruza • Simona Halep • Agnieszka Radwanska • Kristina Mladenovic • Taylor Townsend • Ajla Tomljanovic • Caroline Wozniacki • Carla Suárez Navarro
TT Singles Current Ranking: #2 (CH Ranking: #1)
Titles: Cincinnati 2014, Wimbledon 2014, Marrakech 2014, Quebec City 2012, Cincinnati 2011
TT Doubles Current Ranking: #25 (CH Ranking: #8)
Titles: Cincinnati 2014, Bucharest 2014, Tokyo 2012 (w/New_balls_please), Stanford 2012, Carlsbad 2011, Osaka 2011 (w/rvugt)
Inger67 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #72
country flag Dunlop1

Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most people are a rating point lower than they think they are.
You CANNOT determine your rating based on USTA guidelines. They are bunk.
Your rating is determined by your win-loss record against other ranked/rated players.

So if you play in a 4.0 USTA league and are competitive, then you are that rating.
I define 'competitive' as winning at least 40% of your matches against players rated at that level.

You cannot call yourself a 5.0 if you cannot beat 5.0 players.

I am a 4.0 player. I am in a 4.0 league and am competitive in my league.

To the 6.0 player, you do know there is no USTA ranked 6.0 player in the country? There is only one 5.5 player and he got bumped up late last year.

I am also suspicious of any 5.0 claims on this site. A true 5.0 player is a really good amateur player. Like REALLY REALLY good.
Such a player does not 'think' they are a 5.0 player. They KNOW they are a 5.0 player because they have played OPEN tournaments against other 5.0's and higher.
Dunlop1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #73
country flag Dunlop1

Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute Dunlop1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementievavenus View Post
What do you mean 'you got rated?'

AFAIK, going to USTA tennis centers to get a club pro to rate you, has long been out of practice.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #74
country flag Dunlop1

Quote:

Your record against players who are rated at a certain level is not arbitrary. It is a very exact way of stating how well you can compete against players at a certain level.

As to how well you execute your strokes, that has little bearing on your rating. There are some 3.5 players with better service motions than me. There are a lot more 4.0s with better service motions than me. My service motion is the ugliest part of my game. And yet it is my strength. My first serve is hard and consistently accurate. I can place it exactly where I want it while hitting it almost at my hardest. Yet, it has a hitch and I don't fully engage my legs.
Dont' get my wrong, I would have an even better serve with better technique, but I can hang at the 4.0 level with a serve that when people see my practising slowly, think they can clean up on.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #75
country flag desariofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunlop1 View Post
Most people are a rating point lower than they think they are.
You CANNOT determine your rating based on USTA guidelines. They are bunk.
Your rating is determined by your win-loss record against other ranked/rated players.

So if you play in a 4.0 USTA league and are competitive, then you are that rating.
I define 'competitive' as winning at least 40% of your matches against players rated at that level.

You cannot call yourself a 5.0 if you cannot beat 5.0 players.

I am a 4.0 player. I am in a 4.0 league and am competitive in my league.

To the 6.0 player, you do know there is no USTA ranked 6.0 player in the country? There is only one 5.5 player and he got bumped up late last year.

I am also suspicious of any 5.0 claims on this site. A true 5.0 player is a really good amateur player. Like REALLY REALLY good.
Such a player does not 'think' they are a 5.0 player. They KNOW they are a 5.0 player because they have played OPEN tournaments against other 5.0's and higher.
THANK YOU GOD! At least someone here knows what I am talking bout!!! AMEN!!