Protest target Peer says she's just a tennis player (article) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #1
country flag itzhak

itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute
Protest target Peer says she's just a tennis player (article)

Protest target Peer says she's just a tennis player

By ROBERT LOWE | Wednesday, 07 January 2009

Israeli Shahar Peer, due to be the subject of a protest in Auckland on Thursday over the military conflict in Gaza, says she's just a tennis player trying to do her best on court.

Protest organiser John Minto, calling for an comprehensive boycott of Israel, said a letter had been written to Peer at the weekend asking her to withdraw from the ASB Classic.

Minto said the No 5 seed had not replied.

Asked if she had considered pulling out, Peer told journalists that there wasn't anything she could do about the politics of the situation in the Middle East.

"I have nothing to do with this," she said.

"I'm Shahar Peer. I came here to play tennis. I know I'm from Israel and I'm proud of my country and that [playing tennis] is what I'm doing to do tomorrow."

Peer, 21, said she was trying not to concentrate on what was happening in Gaza, but it wasn't easy.

Her own brother, who had completed his compulsory military service, had been called up as a reservist.

"Two days ago, I was crying a bit, actually more than a bit, so it was a hard time for me," she said.

"I hope as soon as possible it will end and we will all be happy, because no one wants to be in a war."

Peer, the world No 39, today advanced to the third round by beating Czech Barbora Zahlavova Strycova 6-3 4-6 6-2.

She said she had never been targeted by protesters anywhere around the world before.

Last year, she became the first Israeli to play in Doha, in Qatar, and she said she got a warm reception and enjoyed her time there.

She joked that being singled out by protesters meant at least people were interested in her.

"It's their choice and they are choosing what they want to do," she said.

Having appeared in the Classic twice before, she was planning to return again next year because of the atmosphere provided by tournament director Brenda Perry and the many volunteers.

Perry said the WTA Tour had security requirements for all its tournaments, but security would be increased at Stanley St tomorrow.

She said there had been no problems so far this week.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4811779a10393.html
itzhak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #2
country flag Mr_Molik

Mr_Molik has a reputation beyond repute Mr_Molik has a reputation beyond repute Mr_Molik has a reputation beyond repute Mr_Molik has a reputation beyond repute Mr_Molik has a reputation beyond repute Mr_Molik has a reputation beyond repute Mr_Molik has a reputation beyond repute Mr_Molik has a reputation beyond repute Mr_Molik has a reputation beyond repute Mr_Molik has a reputation beyond repute Mr_Molik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Protest target Peer says she's just a tennis player (article)

How fucking ridiculous. I don't agree with Israel's actions in Gaza, but this is going too far. What next- boycott talking to anyone from Israel?

Sophie Ferguson ~ Casey Dellacqua ~ Samantha Stosur ~ Jessica Moore ~ Christina Wheeler ~ Monique Adamczak ~
Mr_Molik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #3
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Shahar wins the whole damn tournament.

Last edited by -Sonic- : Jan 7th, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
mboyle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #4
pav

pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute

That prick Minto is an embarrassment to our country people like him are very selective in their targets, I hope some bugger clips him in the ear tomorrow!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #5
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

Protesting against a tennis player from Israel is no way to get a message across - it's ridiculous, petty and vindictive. Let the athletes be athletes. Shahar doesn't need this sort of distraction.

Considering what happened with Seles, I really hope they have extra security for Shahar.

Last edited by -Sonic- : Jan 7th, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
hingis-seles is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #6
country flag cartmancop

cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future

Did Peer push the big red button that launched the attacks?? no... She has nothing to do with the political debate at hand. Protesters should take their opinions to politicians that have a say in these matters. I'm not really a fan of Peer's tennis, but it sucks that she gets drawn into these political fights just because of her nationality...
cartmancop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #7
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles View Post
Protesting against a tennis player from Israel is no way to get a message across - it's ridiculous, petty and vindictive. Let the athletes be athletes. Shahar doesn't need this sort of distraction.

Considering what happened with Seles, I really hope they have extra security for Shahar.
Hopefully it will never come to that but there's stupid people in the world. Hopefully this will be more motivation for Shahar to be playing well and win this tournament. Kadima Shahar!

Last edited by -Sonic- : Jan 7th, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
young_gunner913 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #8
country flag raffles

raffles has much to be proud of raffles has much to be proud of raffles has much to be proud of raffles has much to be proud of raffles has much to be proud of raffles has much to be proud of raffles has much to be proud of raffles has much to be proud of raffles has much to be proud of raffles has much to be proud of raffles has much to be proud of

I have been of the mind that for years and years the liberals has lost their way, they are just as brainwashed and uncritical minded as those who they oppose. Anyway targeted Peer is simply low and pathetic, she's not a person of influence in the political/religious scene of Israel. But let them protest if they want to, let them show themselve up to be shallow minded idiots who can't see that she is just a tennis players. Of course I does hope that the tournament will put adequte protection in place for her. I'm not a fan but I think in a tennis scene she's obviously been punished enough for being Isreali considering how some countries have prevented her entry to compete in certain tournaments.
raffles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #9
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member

Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute

Ludicrous!
Williamsser is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #10
country flag Consigliere

Consigliere is a splendid one to behold Consigliere is a splendid one to behold Consigliere is a splendid one to behold Consigliere is a splendid one to behold Consigliere is a splendid one to behold Consigliere is a splendid one to behold Consigliere is a splendid one to behold Consigliere is a splendid one to behold Consigliere is a splendid one to behold Consigliere is a splendid one to behold Consigliere is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
It is just sick what the Liberals have convinced people of about Israel.
Look beyond your own borders, this is some idiot Kiwi's we're talking about. What does the Liberal democrat party of USA have to do with things?
Consigliere is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #11
country flag Farina Elia Fan
Team WTAworld

Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute

What an idiot! Shahar has no influence over the government, she isnt even a huge star in Israel. Sounds like someone is just trying to increase their profile
Farina Elia Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #12
country flag AndreConrad

AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Shahar, but sober response from her. I hope she'll do well this season.
To all expressing your opinions pro or against war or Israel. This is not the place!
Bally, Rest In Peace!
AndreConrad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #13
country flag tiwapon

tiwapon is just really nice tiwapon is just really nice tiwapon is just really nice tiwapon is just really nice tiwapon is just really nice tiwapon is just really nice tiwapon is just really nice tiwapon is just really nice tiwapon is just really nice tiwapon is just really nice tiwapon is just really nice

Being Israeli these days is hard. Even my Jewish friend told me that.
tiwapon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #14
country flag BUBI
chaky yo booty

BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute

Shahar is a soldier in reserve. IDF should call her up
BUBI is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #15
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

How incredibly stupid people can be no longer surprises me.. Go Shahar and good luck, but not against My Golden One!

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote