How Long Until The Next GREAT Player? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: When Will We Have The Next Great Player?

2009 11 15.94%
2010 15 21.74%
2011 15 21.74%
2012 11 15.94%
2013 17 24.64%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #16
country flag OsloErik

OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How Long Until The Next GREAT Player?

What do we call GREAT, though? I mean, Serena had what, 60 consecutive weeks of being the far-and-away best player in the world. Hingis had about 60 as well, Seles and Graf way more...what level of being the best and having the slams and titles to back it up do we consider great?

That said, I think it'll be awhile. Very few full-grown players can keep up with the grind of the tour today. The only young player I've seen lately with the cocky attitude you need is de Brito, and she has a terrible serve. You need at least a serviceable serve to be the best player for long.

I think there are a couple levels of greatness. There's Evert-Graf-Navratilova-(Court?) level, and King level, and Seles-Goolagong-Serena-(Venus?) level...
OsloErik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #17
country flag OsloErik

OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ07 View Post
The reason I say that is because Evert, Navratilova, Graf, Seles and Serena (and potentially Venus, which would do it justice as "The Williams Sisters") brought a new element to the game. Martina Hingis did as well, but it didn't last long with success.

Whoever is the next great player would have to introduce a new element to the game...that'd be the only way they could win that many slams.
So...baseline focused, serve focused, power, power off both sides/return focused, and power off both sides with movement? Hard to predict what would be the next incarnation of the game. Like, power and movement and 98% accuracy? Hard to tell who would fit that bill who plays nowadays.
OsloErik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #18
country flag sunsfuns

sunsfuns is a splendid one to behold sunsfuns is a splendid one to behold sunsfuns is a splendid one to behold sunsfuns is a splendid one to behold sunsfuns is a splendid one to behold sunsfuns is a splendid one to behold sunsfuns is a splendid one to behold sunsfuns is a splendid one to behold sunsfuns is a splendid one to behold sunsfuns is a splendid one to behold sunsfuns is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsloErik View Post
That said, I think it'll be awhile. Very few full-grown players can keep up with the grind of the tour today. The only young player I've seen lately with the cocky attitude you need is de Brito, and she has a terrible serve. You need at least a serviceable serve to be the best player for long.
I think she is also too small (hence the mediocre serve). There are some exceptions, but usually you need to be bigger than that...
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #19
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

Slams on their own are not what make players great, it's their whole careers that do. I agree with the OP that there aren't any outstanding young players, but whether or not they have reached a slam SF doesn't mean they aren't great. If a player were to go on a tear and win a number of big titles in a row, they would also look like a potential "great".

Venus is of course a great player. As are Henin, Davenport, Hingis, ASV etc. (and likely Sharapova in a few more years). Players that got to the top and remained there, dominated and made their mark on a certain era. There are different levels, but to say any of these players are not greats is wrong. Navratilova, Graf and Evert are in a league of their own, Seles and Serena do not belong there.

Getting round to the question, well we had Henin on a roll for 2 years and who knows where she could have placed herself had she kept on for another few years. The top of the game is struggling right now, but of all the players in the elite I think Ivanovic and Sharapova will be the ones to become greats.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #20
country flag LoveFifteen
Gone with the Wind fabulous!

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think being a great player is just about how many Slams you have won. It also has to do with how you play the game. If Sharapova and the Williams sisters retired today, one of the Serbs might start winning a lot more Slams, but their tennis is not magical. It doesn't have that quality that says "I am watching a great".

A tennis great cannot help but be in legendary matches, even when they lose that legendary match.

The WTA is in a tragic state. We've gone from US Open semis between Hingis and Venus to US Open semis between Kuznetsova and Chakvetadze. How tragic!
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #21
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

i just heard
COCO LOCO is
in town...

anyhoo...
VENUS after winning 4 slams this year...
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #22
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
I don't think being a great player is just about how many Slams you have won. It also has to do with how you play the game. If Sharapova and the Williams sisters retired today, one of the Serbs might start winning a lot more Slams, but their tennis is not magical. It doesn't have that quality that says "I am watching a great".

A tennis great cannot help but be in legendary matches, even when they lose that legendary match.

The WTA is in a tragic state. We've gone from US Open semis between Hingis and Venus to US Open semis between Kuznetsova and Chakvetadze. How tragic!
I understand, but if Ivanovic wins 9 slams either shes doing something really really right or the field really hit the fan.

To win that many you have to be truly innovative
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #23
country flag starin

starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What do we call GREAT, though? I mean, Serena had what, 60 consecutive weeks of being the far-and-away best player in the world. Hingis had about 60 as well, Seles and Graf way more...what level of being the best and having the slams and titles to back it up do we consider great?

I think there are a couple levels of greatness. There's Evert-Graf-Navratilova-(Court?) level, and King level, and Seles-Goolagong-Serena-(Venus?) level...
I feel the same way about Brito. She has the groundies, the attitude but her serve, especially her 2nd, is just so woefully poor. But having said that she is bound to improve her serve and even w/ her poor serve she pushed Kuz and Serena to 3 sets and took out Radwanska.

IMO the next great player will come w/in the next 3 years. These things tend to go in cycles. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone yet. I would think the next level would be to improve on Serena/Venus like they did on Seles. Or perhaps WS are an aberration like Graf. Serve + Movement + Power + consistency. That's what I'm looking for and I haven't seen it.
starin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #24
country flag DragonFlame
Team WTAworld

DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute

I consider the williams sisters and henin greats. Anyone who's won 5 and more slams should be considered that way. That list is very short anyways.

I consider the boundry to be around there. For example, capriati and davenport haven't done enough in my oppinion to be called greats. Maria could be one but she has to win more in order to get there. I consider her a potentially great player. Hingis is on the boundry, but she's done so much besides winning the 5 slams she has that she deserves to be called a great. Especially considering the age at which she did it.

And about future great players, i consider caroline wozniaki a future multiple grandslamwinner. So lets see how she develops!

Elena, thank you for all the joy you gave me, you will always remain in my mind.
Intelligence Officer of the SS Dementieva

Last edited by DragonFlame : Jan 6th, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
DragonFlame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #25
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ07 View Post
Mens tennis is very different (and I wouldn't call Courier a "great" player, very good, but not great). In that league, yes 5 would suffice. However, women's depth isn't as strong as men's depth. Although Nadal-Federer is kind of throwing that maintsay out the door.

Like I said, Martina Hingis is a very good player, but not a great one.

The reason I say that is because Evert, Navratilova, Graf, Seles and Serena (and potentially Venus, which would do it justice as "The Williams Sisters") brought a new element to the game. Martina Hingis did as well, but it didn't last long with success.

Whoever is the next great player would have to introduce a new element to the game...that'd be the only way they could win that many slams.
Martina Hingis is absolutely a great player, all time great. She won 12 grand slam titles and was ranked no. 1 for 209 weeks in singles and I forget how many weeks in doubles, plus reached all four slam finals in a season, winning three.

Slams are not the end all of tennis. Being no. 1 and being consistent matters as well. Graf, Evert and Nav are great not only because they won the slams but also because they were consistent throughout the year.

To answer the question, the latest crop of prospects (namely Laura Robson and Michelle Larcher de Brito) looks promising. They are still young enough to have time on their side. Sharapova by the way could still win 9+ slams.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #26
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'd put Seles with King. Seles dominated for three years. I'd also include Hingis and Henin with Goolagong, Serena and Venus.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #27
country flag Hardiansf

Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFlame View Post
I consider the williams sisters and henin greats. Anyone who's won 5 and more slams should be considered that way. That list is very short anyways.

I consider the boundry to be around there. For example, capriati and davenport haven't done enough in my oppinion to be called greats. Maria could be one but she has to win more in order to get there. I consider her a potentially great player. Hingis is on the boundry, but she's done so much besides winning the 5 slams she has that she deserves to be called a great. Especially considering the age at which she did it.

And about future great players, i consider caroline wozniaki a future multiple grandslamwinner. So lets see how she develops!
Agreed, besides Williams Sisters and Henin, Hingis should be consider great player too. She's done so much other than win 5 slams.
The next great player... maybe we could see her 3 years from now. I just don't see a WOW factor from this current young generation, yet.
Miss you Monica Wynne Angie Anna Chakvy Marion
Good luck also : Svetlana Li Na
Hardiansf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #28
Miss Amor
Legendary

Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute

Sharapova still has a chance to be a tennis great, she is good on 3/4 surfaces and already has a had a very good career so far.

Miss Amor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #29
country flag Russianboy

Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute

sharapova has a lot more years to be one of the greatest.
im sure when serena was 21, she wasnt called one of the greatest players either
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #30
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
I'd put Seles with King. Seles dominated for three years. I'd also include Hingis and Henin with Goolagong, Serena and Venus.
Hingis in the same group as Serena? 4 majors is a HUGE gap, no?
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote