BOMBSHELL!!111!: Jankovic has been named ITF World Champion of 2008 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #31
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BOMBSHELL!!111!: Jankovic has been named ITF World Champion of 2008

I think we kind of agree there were 4 posible choices for ITF and WTA POY, right?

Jankovic: World number 1 + US Open finalist.
Serena Williams: US Open Champion + Wimbledon finalist.
Venus Williams: Wimbledon Champion + YEC champion.
Ana Ivanovic: French Open Champion + Australian Open Finalist.

They consider performance on the tour, Olympics and Fed Cup. That pretty much excluded 3 players from the list. Ana didn't play Olympics, Venus and Serena didn't play Fed Cup. Jankovic was the obvious choice.

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #32
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Woah! I did not see that coming. I thought maybe WTA POY but not ITF Champ.

I wonder will this affect the WTA POY outcome?

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #33
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douce View Post
How do they determine this award...do they have a raffle or something?? Go JJ!! You clearly were the best player this year,slams are irrelevant and maybe you can become a 9-Time ITF Champion...4 in a row please, Jelena Slam!!! All you have to do is play a billion tourney's and just get to the ummmm...let's say semi's, don't wanna miss the opening ceremonies of the next tourney...great crab cakes! And remember, this is KEY!!...do not, and I repeat do not win a slam, just doesn't bode well for the candidates of ITF Champ...ie. See WS, and whenever you play them...make sure to play the "I'm so small and weak card," that'll get em' on your side, everyone loves an underdog!! Pimp Daddy Justine called and said she wants her ITF award back and that if necessary she will be forced to use her lethal one-handed backhand all over that ass!!

KTHNXBYE, LOVE U JJ!
too funny.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #34
Lucemferre

Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnnstalkr View Post
The problem with that is there is no one better by any objective measure. Players are supposed to show up and perform well. They get points for that.

Think about it. If ITF picked only from slam winners, what are they going to do, pick straws, when you have four women winning four slams. Maybe they will use the WTA rankings. Oh, sorry, can't do that in your book. Is ITF going to display complete lack of respect for the WTA rankings? I don't think so.

The following is a quote from the ITF website article explaining the criteria for the awards:

"The ITF’s selection of its World Champions is based on an objective system that considers not only performances at the Grand Slams, Olympic Games and respective tours, but also gives weight to performances in the two ITF international team competitions, Davis Cup by BNP Paribas and Fed Cup by BNP Paribas, and the Olympic Games."

Complete article

If you liked Jankovic's personality and antics and found her attractive, would you feel differently? If you were fair and admired her grit and accomplishments, would you be coming at this in a more kindly way? Usually that means the object of fantasy or respect is protected from unfair comments, and suddenly either we rationalize everything in her favor or meticulously promote objectivity all around.

Mostly, pointless ill will is a downer. Some need to get over it, I think.
Cute. But it doesn't change the fact that Jankovic is the worst ITF poy ever.
Lucemferre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #35
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute

This type of thing only increases the decline of women's tennis, and tennis in general, in my opinion.
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #36
country flag maya-serbia

maya-serbia is a splendid one to behold maya-serbia is a splendid one to behold maya-serbia is a splendid one to behold maya-serbia is a splendid one to behold maya-serbia is a splendid one to behold maya-serbia is a splendid one to behold maya-serbia is a splendid one to behold maya-serbia is a splendid one to behold maya-serbia is a splendid one to behold maya-serbia is a splendid one to behold maya-serbia is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations to Jelena!
maya-serbia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #37
country flag serenus_2k8

serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute

''The ITF’s selection of its World Champions is based on an objective system that considers not only performances at the Grand Slams, Olympic Games and respective tours, but also gives weight to performances in the two ITF international team competitions, Davis Cup by BNP Paribas and Fed Cup by BNP Paribas, and the Olympic Games."

So Serena won a gold at OG and Wimb in doubles, and made 2 finals in singles, winning one of them whereas JJ...played more Fed cup and wins it? gO cHaMp!1!!!!1

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220

venuswilliams serenawilliams
serenus_2k8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #38
Lucemferre

Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
I think we kind of agree there were 4 posible choices for ITF and WTA POY, right?

Jankovic: World number 1 + US Open finalist.
Serena Williams: US Open Champion + Wimbledon finalist.
Venus Williams: Wimbledon Champion + YEC champion.
Ana Ivanovic: French Open Champion + Australian Open Finalist.

They consider performance on the tour, Olympics and Fed Cup. That pretty much excluded 3 players from the list. Ana didn't play Olympics, Venus and Serena didn't play Fed Cup. Jankovic was the obvious choice.
If they count Fed cup which includes doubles. Then they should count Olympic doubles which Serena won. They might as well count Hopman cup too which team usa won. Serena and Mardy. ITF lost all their credibility this year. They've had some questionable choices but this year was the worst of them all.
Lucemferre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #39
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #40
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

ITF World Champions’ results at ITF-related events (since 2000)

2008 : Jelena JANKOVIC
Australian Open : SF [wins over ## 7, 29, 39, 76, 78]
Roland Garros : SF [wins over ## 15, 31, 80, 86, 132]
Wimbledon : 4R [wins over ## 30, 56, 113]
US Open : RU [wins over ## 6, 18, 30, 37, 63, 512]
Olympics : QF [wins over ## 19, 30, 662]
Fed Cup : qualified for World Group II [won 3 of 4 singles matches, wins over ## 21, 150, 460]

2007 : Justine HENIN
Australian Open : did not play
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 5, 7, 8, 25, 31, 65, 72]
Wimbledon : SF [wins over ## 8, 15, 67, 83, 117]
US Open : WON [wins over ## 4, 9, 14, 16, 130, 145, 156]
Fed Cup : did not play

2006 : Justine HENIN
Australian Open : RU [wins over ## 1, 4, 54, 60, 92, 104]
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 2, 10, 11, 14, 58, 70, 72]
Wimbledon : RU [wins over ## 2, 18, 34, 81, 99, 129]
US Open : RU [wins over ## 11, 20, 21, 27, 45, 70]
Fed Cup : finalist [won 4 of 4 singles matches, wins over ## 5, 9, 14, 20]

2005 : Kim CLIJSTERS
Roland Garros : 4R [wins over ## 22, 96, 179]
Wimbledon : 4R [wins over ## 64, 93, 320]
US Open : WON [wins over ## 2, 10, 12, 33, 58, 72, 135]
Fed Cup : defended spot in World Group [won 2 of 2 singles matches, wins over ## 30, 71]

2004 : Anastasia MYSKINA
Australian Open : QF [wins over ## 10, 32, 60, 101]
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 6, 9, 10, 11, 32, 68, 70]
Wimbledon : 3R [wins over ## 49, 65]
US Open : 2R [win over # 81]
Olympics : SF [wins over ## 17, 35, 47, 65]
Fed Cup : champion [won 7 of 8 singles matches, wins over ## 21, 27, 52, 103, 147, 173, 225]

2003 : Justine HENIN
Australian Open : SF [wins over ## 10, 34, 42, 53, 63]
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 1, 2, 8, 18, 82, 83, 109]
Wimbledon : SF [wins over ## 34, 54, 55, 86, 100]
US Open : WON [wins over ## 1, 7, 10, 70, 71, 75, 129]
Fed Cup : semifinalist [won 3 of 3 singles matches, wins over ## 69, 76, 104]

2002 : Serena WILLIAMS
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 1, 2, 39, 41, 132, 142, 169]
Wimbledon : WON [wins over ## 1, 11, 12, 27, 45, 103, 119]
US Open : WON [wins over ## 2, 10, 11, 24, 26, 91, unr]

2001 : Jennifer CAPRIATI
Australian Open : WON [wins over ## 1, 2, 4, 37, 67, 72, 90]
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 1, 7, 14, 20, 57, 81, 232]
Wimbledon : SF [wins over ## 5, 19, 34, 35, 117]
US Open : SF [wins over ## 7, 19, 57, 67, 142]

2000 : Martina HINGIS
Australian Open : RU [wins over ## 13, 14, 15, 49, 63, 116]
Roland Garros : SF [wins over ## 24, 25, 32, 50, 156]
Wimbledon : QF [wins over ## 11, 22, 42, 78]
US Open : SF [wins over ## 5, 11, 32, 45, 101]
Olympics : did not play
AnnaK_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #41
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenus_2k8 View Post
''The ITF’s selection of its World Champions is based on an objective system that considers not only performances at the Grand Slams, Olympic Games and respective tours, but also gives weight to performances in the two ITF international team competitions, Davis Cup by BNP Paribas and Fed Cup by BNP Paribas, and the Olympic Games."

So Serena won a gold at OG and Wimb in doubles, and made 2 finals in singles, winning one of them whereas JJ...played more Fed cup and wins it? gO cHaMp!1!!!!1
JJ was named world champion in SINGLES. Doubles gold at Olympics and Doubles Slam at Wimbledon are irrelevant for determining the POY.
AnnaK_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #42
country flag SIN DIOS NI LEY

SIN DIOS NI LEY has a reputation beyond repute SIN DIOS NI LEY has a reputation beyond repute SIN DIOS NI LEY has a reputation beyond repute SIN DIOS NI LEY has a reputation beyond repute SIN DIOS NI LEY has a reputation beyond repute SIN DIOS NI LEY has a reputation beyond repute SIN DIOS NI LEY has a reputation beyond repute SIN DIOS NI LEY has a reputation beyond repute SIN DIOS NI LEY has a reputation beyond repute SIN DIOS NI LEY has a reputation beyond repute SIN DIOS NI LEY has a reputation beyond repute

Yes , Rafa Nadal is the well deserved Player of the Year

This Rafa is good
SIN DIOS NI LEY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #43
country flag Hurley
Enemy of Art

Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
JJ was named world champion in SINGLES. Doubles gold at Olympics and Doubles Slam at Wimbledon are irrelevant for determining the POY.
Correct.

There are ITF World Champions for doubles as well. That's where doubles results will count.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #44
country flag Kworb
Most Loved Member

Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
ITF World Champions’ results at ITF-related events (since 2000)

2008 : Jelena JANKOVIC
Australian Open : SF [wins over ## 7, 29, 39, 76, 78]
Roland Garros : SF [wins over ## 15, 31, 80, 86, 132]
Wimbledon : 4R [wins over ## 30, 56, 113]
US Open : RU [wins over ## 6, 18, 30, 37, 63, 512]
Olympics : QF [wins over ## 19, 30, 662]
Fed Cup : qualified for World Group II [won 3 of 4 singles matches, wins over ## 21, 150, 460]

2007 : Justine HENIN
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 5, 7, 8, 25, 31, 65, 72]
Wimbledon : SF [wins over ## 8, 15, 67, 83, 117]
US Open : WON [wins over ## 4, 9, 14, 16, 130, 145, 156]

2006 : Justine HENIN
Australian Open : RU [wins over ## 1, 4, 54, 60, 92, 104]
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 2, 10, 11, 14, 58, 70, 72]
Wimbledon : RU [wins over ## 2, 18, 34, 81, 99, 129]
US Open : RU [wins over ## 11, 20, 21, 27, 45, 70]
Fed Cup : finalist [won 4 of 4 singles matches, wins over ## 5, 9, 14, 20]

2005 : Kim CLIJSTERS
Roland Garros : 4R [wins over ## 22, 96, 179]
Wimbledon : 4R [wins over ## 64, 93, 320]
US Open : WON [wins over ## 2, 10, 12, 33, 58, 72, 135]
Fed Cup : defended spot in World Group [won 2 of 2 singles matches, wins over ## 30, 71]

2004 : Anastasia MYSKINA
Australian Open : QF [wins over ## 10, 32, 60, 101]
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 6, 9, 10, 11, 32, 68, 70]
Wimbledon : 3R [wins over ## 49, 65]
US Open : 2R [win over # 81]
Olympics : SF [wins over ## 17, 35, 47, 65]
Fed Cup : champion [won 7 of 8 singles matches, wins over ## 21, 27, 52, 103, 147, 173, 225]

2003 : Justine HENIN
Australian Open : SF [wins over ## 10, 34, 42, 53, 63]
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 1, 2, 8, 18, 82, 83, 109]
Wimbledon : SF [wins over ## 34, 54, 55, 86, 100]
US Open : WON [wins over ## 1, 7, 10, 70, 71, 75, 129]
Fed Cup : semifinalist [won 3 of 3 singles matches, wins over ## 69, 76, 104]

2002 : Serena WILLIAMS
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 1, 2, 39, 41, 132, 142, 169]
Wimbledon : WON [wins over ## 1, 11, 12, 27, 45, 103, 119]
US Open : WON [wins over ## 2, 10, 11, 24, 26, 91, unr]

2001 : Jennifer CAPRIATI
Australian Open : WON [wins over ## 1, 2, 4, 37, 67, 72, 90]
Roland Garros : WON [wins over ## 1, 7, 14, 20, 57, 81, 232]
Wimbledon : SF [wins over ## 5, 19, 34, 35, 117]
US Open : SF [wins over ## 7, 19, 57, 67, 142]

2000 : Martina HINGIS
Australian Open : RU [wins over ## 13, 14, 15, 49, 63, 116]
Roland Garros : SF [wins over ## 24, 25, 32, 50, 156]
Wimbledon : QF [wins over ## 11, 22, 42, 78]
US Open : SF [wins over ## 5, 11, 32, 45, 101]
Olympics : did not play
Thanks. Her record is very comparable to Martina's in 2000.

SERENA WILLIAMS 64 75 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 61 57 60
LAUREN DAVIS 60 76 CAMILA GIORGI 46 63 75 BOJANA JOVANOVSKI 63 36 75
VENUS WILLIAMS 64 76 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 62 62
Kworb is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #45
country flag Apoleb

Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute

She deserved. I'm sick of the stupidity about "not winning a slam." It's not her problem if no other player has been able to keep consistent form. Being number 1 isn't just about winning a couple of tournaments. It's a mix of both acheivement and consistency, and taking both factors in combination, she comes on top.
Apoleb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote