Commentators who suck.... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #1
country flag DemWilliamsGulls

DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute
Commentators who suck....

I'm sorry but maybe I just don't get it...but...why are so many commentators so critical of other players when they basically sucked when they played tennis? I was listening to Chanda Rubin the other day talk about a players serve...when I dont remember her serve being a threat at all..matter of fact...most players punished her serve. Marri Carilo, Pam Shriver and a few others didnt leave their mark in tennis. Only Navitorlova and Johnny mac (two i cant stand) really can back up their critisism because they have left their mark in tennis vs one hit wonders commentating.
Advertisement

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #2
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Commentators who suck....

^ By that logic we would have very few commentators, not enough to cover all matches anyway! If these former professionals can't do it then maybe everyone on this board should shut their mouth too. Certain people, like Carillo, should moderate the virulence of their criticisms but at the end of the day it's part of commentating and I'm happy enough if they remain unbiased.

Commentators annoy me for other reasons. Sam Smith because she is so droney and boring...though she is growing on me and becoming less droney. Annabelle Croft because she's a complete idiot. Recently I've been seeing some tennis channel coverage and my God does Corina Morariu have an annoying voice. Carillo's pathetic attitude towards some players and her annoying voice also bother me.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #3
country flag LindsayRulz

LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute

Rubin and Shriver sucked when they played? Gosh, they have archived in their career more than what 99% of the professional tennis players ever will. And by your logic only Navratilova, Court, Graf and Evert could judge the game on a player?
LindsayRulz is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #4
country flag Sharakim
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future

I generally like all the commentators. The only one I dislike is Ted Robinson. That man's voice gets on my nerves. Also, it always seems like he is trying to hard to sound important or smart during a match.
Sharakim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #5
country flag Привет

Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute

Just because some commentators didn't have the most stellar tennis playing careers, doesn't mean they don't know their stuff. You don't need to be able to serve well to know how to serve well.

That said, Roger Rasheed should just stop. He's painful commentating either sex, but even more so when on women's matches.
Привет is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #6
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

It seems as though that the only commentator on this board who gets any respect is MJF.

But, I don't think any "suck". Some are better than others, yes. I think we are too critical, sometimes. I mean, we'd sound SO bad if any of us were commentators. We'd sound pedantic.

Commentators need to appeal not only to tennis fans but the casual viewer. I think the ones we have now are acceptable. More MJF's won't hurt, though.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #7
country flag Wannabeknowitall

Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute

Chanda Rubin's first serve was good. It was her second serve like so many others that had the issues.

She was able to set up her forehand with her first serve and then finish off points at net.
I found Chanda Rubin's game to be the most classic out of many players of her era.

I actually enjoy Chanda commentating. I wish she would do it more in fact.

I have an issue with Mary Carillo. I feel she tries to be one of the boys by talking down about women's tennis and especially Venus and Serena time after time.

I have a serious issue with Tim Ryan. There's no excuse to confuse Venus wih Serena or vice versa 10 years later.
He makes absolutely too many mistakes.
I also have issues with Tracy Austin. I don't even want to get into that.

I actually like Pam and Mary Joe Fernandez. Cliff Dysdale is fun to listen to.

Put him next to Mary Carillo and they always get into it.

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #8
country flag Pheobo

Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute

By that logic none of us should be discussing pro tennis because I doubt any of us play as well. None of us should criticize politicians in the political forum if we've never held elected office...etc.

So your premise for this argument is flawed. But I do agree that most of the commentators we do have are awful, save a few. Then again, I shouldn't be able to say that because I've never been an ESPN commentator, right?
Pheobo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #9
country flag FrenchY52

FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute

I like Eurosport France commentators (Sarah Pitkowski ).
But the one who comment on the national channel (France Televisions) almost all suck and don't know anything about tennis, especially Lionel Chamoulaud.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #10
country flag Mattographer
TF's Resident Photographer

Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute

Sandy Roberts and Bruce McAvaney are our worst Australian commentators. They're both not even knowledge about tennis

Gary Wilkinson is our worst Australian commentator ever when he used to work for Channel 7 in late 90's and early 00's until he moved to Sky News

This is my signature. Pretty neat, isn't it?
Mattographer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #11
country flag ~Cherry*Blossom~

~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Cherry*Blossom~ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post

Commentators annoy me for other reasons. Sam Smith because she is so droney and boring
You disgust me

THE ROYAL SAINT - OFFICIAL MEMBER OF THE ROYAL COURT
USO99-FO02-WIM02-USO02-AO03-WIM03-AO05-AO07-USO08-AO09-WIM09-AO10-WIM10-WIM12-USO12-FO13-USO13
WIM00-USO00-WIM01-USO01-WIM05-WIM07-WIM08
•How could you love summer before winter nights? I'll be by your side•
~Cherry*Blossom~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #12
country flag TennisFanForever

TennisFanForever is a name known to all TennisFanForever is a name known to all TennisFanForever is a name known to all TennisFanForever is a name known to all TennisFanForever is a name known to all TennisFanForever is a name known to all TennisFanForever is a name known to all TennisFanForever is a name known to all TennisFanForever is a name known to all TennisFanForever is a name known to all TennisFanForever is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchY52 View Post
I like Eurosport France commentators (Sarah Pitkowski ).
But the one who comment on the national channel (France Televisions) almost all suck and don't know anything about tennis, especially Lionel Chamoulaud.
Pitkowski she sucks more than every other french commentator to me, always criticizing, complaining about WTA players' style of game etc...
TennisFanForever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #13
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Supernova*~ View Post
You disgust me
At least I said she's getting better!

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #14
country flag Christinawww

Christinawww has a brilliant future Christinawww has a brilliant future Christinawww has a brilliant future Christinawww has a brilliant future Christinawww has a brilliant future Christinawww has a brilliant future Christinawww has a brilliant future Christinawww has a brilliant future Christinawww has a brilliant future Christinawww has a brilliant future Christinawww has a brilliant future

this week on Danish eurosport I've heard Pannetta, Kibulkova from Slovenia, and that Bartoli was number 6 earlier this year. I also remember from last year that Hanteechova was on court.

Official Defender of Temper Tantrums in Vikaland

Visit http://www.victoriousvika.com for everything on Vika
Christinawww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #15
country flag RR-87

RR-87 has a reputation beyond repute RR-87 has a reputation beyond repute RR-87 has a reputation beyond repute RR-87 has a reputation beyond repute RR-87 has a reputation beyond repute RR-87 has a reputation beyond repute RR-87 has a reputation beyond repute RR-87 has a reputation beyond repute RR-87 has a reputation beyond repute RR-87 has a reputation beyond repute RR-87 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinawww View Post
this week on Danish eurosport I've heard Pannetta, Kibulkova from Slovenia, and that Bartoli was number 6 earlier this year. I also remember from last year that Hanteechova was on court.
russian commentator Borowsky during all the match called Peschke something like Piotchka i dunno how this came to his mind he also used to call Obziler Oblizer which sounds like "Licker" in russian

Madison Keys <> Petra Kvitova <> Sloane Stephens

Maria Sharapova <> Donna Vekic <> Laura Robson <> Simona Halep
RR-87 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote