Ivanovic and Radwanska also protesting against WTA Tournament Rules - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM   #1
country flag youizahoe
12 and countin'

youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute
Ivanovic and Radwanska also protesting against WTA Tournament Rules

Unrest over 2009 WTA playing commitments

By Barry Wood

LINZ, Austria, Oct 21 (Reuters) - French Open champion Ana Ivanovic and Polish number one Agnieszka Radwanska have called on their fellow players to band together and fight new rules that limit where they can play in 2009.

Although part of the WTA’s new Roadmap is designed to reduce the number of tournaments and shorten the season, it also dictates that top 10 players must compete in at least 10 of the 20 Premier events - previously known as Tier 1 and 2 tournaments - and the four grand slams. All of the top 10 players must play the tournaments held at Indian Wells, Miami, Madrid and Beijing.

“We do have our voice and we have to come together,” Ivanovic said at the Linz Open. “The changes were made in the middle of the season and when you’re playing grand slams you don’t really want to think about next year’s schedule.

“Many players probably didn’t look deep into it and kind of let it go, and all of a sudden you’re there with the change so it’s a little bit hard. We’re all in the same position so we have to talk more between us.

“I do believe it’s going to be a lot of tournaments we have to commit to and it’s maybe going to be a little bit harder in that sense. We don’t have much opportunity to choose, and at the end of the day it might be that we play more matches than we did in previous years.

“I think it’s good that tournaments will have guaranteed players and week after week have top players competing against each other. I think that’s good for women’s tennis. But on us individually it’s tough to say what impact it’s going to have.”

Radwanska is particularly unhappy that she will not be allowed to play the smaller tournaments, previously known as Tier 3 and 4 events and now re-named as the International series.

“After the new rules with the WTA I don’t want to be top 10 because the rules are so bad and everything is for the WTA,” she protested. “I cannot play the small tournaments and it’s quite bad. I hate these rules. I can play just two small tournaments a year.

“We’re all saying this, but the WTA is doing everything for themselves, for the sponsors, but they don’t realise we have to choose where we want to play and not want to play.” (Editing by Justin Palmer)
youizahoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM   #2
country flag youizahoe
12 and countin'

youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ivanovic and Radwanska also protesting against WTA Tournament Rules

Link : http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...ters&type=lgns
youizahoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM   #3
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Aga Top 10 player must live it to their expectation. 2 small tournaments is already enough for you. Anyway, still love you
Ana
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM   #4
country flag ivanban

ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute

Aga So....she don't want to play big tournys cause thinks it's too hard for her?!!!

Being allowed to play 2 tournys of Tier3 and Tier4 category is quite enough for top10 player, right?!!!
ivanban is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM   #5
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Gee. I really would prefer it if Aga did only play two smaller level tournaments. Got to admit if Aga is only able to play two tournaments at below what is now called Tier I & II level I won't be upset. If it was O tournaments that would be different. I do think that the top players should be able to play down a couple times a year but two such tournaments seems about right to me.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM   #6
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Awh Aga. I understand her point but it comes off as ....
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:16 PM   #7
country flag LCS

LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute

Radwanksa. If you can't take the heat just stay out of the kitchen!
W: (12) Australian Open (11) 50K Monzon, Toronto F: (12) Montreal (09) 25K Redding, Bali YEC (08) Memphis, Stanford, 100K Krakow SF: (13) Toronto (12) Estoril Open (09) Roland Garros, Stanford (08) Auckland, Rome, Eastbourne, New Haven
Doubles W: (11) Hobart (09) 25K Redding (08) Doha, Istanbul (07) Estoril Open F: (12) Pattaya, Roland Garros, Stanford (11) Guangzhou(08) Memphis, Wimbledon, New Haven (07) Bali SF: (11) Trnava (10) Stuttgart (08) Budapest (07)Birmingham, US Open QF: (12) Australian Open (11) Roland Garros
LCS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM   #8
country flag CooCooCachoo
Team WTAworld

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Bemelmans|Camerin|Cornet|Crivoi|Cuevas|Dentoni|Dod ig|Garbin|Granollers
Hlavackova|Ilhan|Kohli|Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino| Menendez|Phau|Polansky
Rezaï|Robredo|Roger-Vasselin|Srebotnik|Szavay|Wörle|Zverev

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM   #9
country flag HenryMag.

HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute

I think Aga is right. Maybe there are 3/4 small tourneys where she loves to play and now she just can play at 2. And I think the players should play wherever they want to do it.
HenryMag. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM   #10
country flag laurie

laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luís Santos View Post
Radwanksa. If you can't take the heat just stay out of the kitchen!
This is exactly what I've been saying for a while. Next year there will be literally no hiding place as the top players will have to play eachother much more often than they would probably like. With the increase in prize money comes increase in responsibility.

At the same time, the top 10 can potentially become a closed shop with players outside finding it more difficult to get in than before (which I'm not sure is a good thing).

All of a sudden the players are seeing the real implications of the changes.

http://www.classictennismatches.net/
laurie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:37 PM   #11
country flag gumoll

gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute

so far 3 top ten players are against?

Safina, Ivanovic and Radwanska...

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:37 PM   #12
country flag ViennaCalling
Team WTAworld
Lounge Owner

ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute

I like Aga but you don´t belong in the Top 10 if you just want to play smaller tournaments where your opponents are ranked in the 20´s till 70´s She is the opposite of Tamira who (dumb, dumb, dumb) even in the worst slump just plays Tier I and Tier II-tournaments (so did she in the first half of the season) and always lost in the first round there

Therefore this new rule is a good idea

Tamira PASZEK
Na LI - Francesca SCHIAVONE - Roberta VINCI
Tamira's backhand, Roby's slice, Galina's dropshot

ViennaCalling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:40 PM   #13
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie View Post
This is exactly what I've been saying for a while. Next year there will be literally no hiding place as the top players will have to play eachother much more often than they would probably like. With the increase in prize money comes increase in responsibility.

At the same time, the top 10 can potentially become a closed shop with players outside finding it more difficult to get in than before (which I'm not sure is a good thing).

All of a sudden the players are seeing the real implications of the changes.
That is my concern too. We will see if it is justified next year I guess.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:40 PM   #14
country flag gumoll

gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute gumoll has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaCalling View Post
I like Aga but you don´t belong in the Top 10 if you just want to play smaller tournaments where your opponents are ranked in the 20´s till 70´s She is the opposite of Tamira who (dumb, dumb, dumb) even in the worst slump just plays Tier I and Tier II-tournaments (so did she in the first half of the season) and always lost in the first round there

Therefore this new rule is a good idea
she was playing only one smaller tournament when she entered top 10
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:42 PM   #15
FORZA SARITA

FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute

so Aga wants to lose tomorrow?
FORZA SARITA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote