Masha's ranking points - seeded for the US Open? *update 09/08 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #1
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute
Masha's ranking points - seeded for the US Open? *update 09/08

Ok, here we go!

Lots of things have happened since her comeback and I think Masha is on a good way back as far as her tennis and ranking goes

There is a thread in GM asking if Masha's worthy of her current ranking. I don't care too much about it, but I thought I'd revive this thread in spirit of her climb up the rankings.

Maria's been out of the top 100 this year and currently sits at position 61 with 970 points

She got another 200 points for her semi in Los Angeles and is back in the top 50

Another question that surfaced was if she would/could be seeded for the US Open.

Right now she has 1170 points and sits at position 49

Benesova and Alona Bondarenka are currently placed 32nd and 33rd with 1160 and 1600 points.
Maria is roughly 500 points behind and would need to make at least the final in Toronto (550 points) to be seeded based on her ranking.

If she made the SF, she would gain 350 points and would be placed somewhere around 35th place.
If she made the QF, she would gain 200 points and would be placed somewhere around 45th place.

Of course there is still the chance that seeded players withdraw from the Open (Na Li is in serious doubt), so I cant say if or if not she will be seeded. It's possible though

Last edited by Marilyn Monheaux : Aug 18th, 2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: update
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #2
country flag senia

senia is a name known to all senia is a name known to all senia is a name known to all senia is a name known to all senia is a name known to all senia is a name known to all senia is a name known to all senia is a name known to all senia is a name known to all senia is a name known to all senia is a name known to all
Re: 2009 Questions

well she met Justine last year in the quaters of the AO when no-one thought she would win.. and she beat the crap out of her.. so stop worrying about the damn points and just have faith :P
senia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:05 AM   #3
country flag zestyswans

zestyswans is a name known to all zestyswans is a name known to all zestyswans is a name known to all zestyswans is a name known to all zestyswans is a name known to all zestyswans is a name known to all zestyswans is a name known to all zestyswans is a name known to all zestyswans is a name known to all zestyswans is a name known to all zestyswans is a name known to all

Don’t be so worried

I have no clue about ranking points for next year, sorry.

Trying not to become too concerned though. The worry may start to kick in around AO next year, depending on how she does there. In the mean time we just have to have a little faith - that she’s doing all she can to be healthy and in tip top shape. Having time off is usually good for Maria right? The shoulder is my main concern. Ranking points not so much.

Am curious to hear what she thinks of the new rules for ‘09.

Tennis Tees
zestyswans is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM   #4
country flag Taja05

Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light

It's like you said Masha will loose all the points from last year's YEC that's 525 but she'll definitely finish the year in the top 10 (I'm guessing that she'll end the year at number 8). She'll probably be seeded number 8 at the AO, which means she can only meet players ranked higher than her in the QF in no sooner. However the bad news is that she has a lot of points to defend in the first three months of the next season so it's possible that she'll drop out of Top 10 (I so hope that won't happen).

If there is no Doha tournament next year all the points she got this year for winning will be deducted from her ranking points as well (Doha tournament finished on 24 February this year so the points from this tournament will be deducted on 23 February 2009; at least that's what they did this year for tournaments that weren't in the calendar anymore or were moved to another date like Tokyo for example).

There is also a good chance that Masha won't get a bye in the first round at some tournaments especially the ones that will atract players who are ranked higher than her.

But as far as rankings are concerned we should have the same mind-set that Masha does; if she plays well the rankings will take care of themselves.
Taja05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #5
country flag fester

fester is a glorious beacon of light fester is a glorious beacon of light fester is a glorious beacon of light fester is a glorious beacon of light fester is a glorious beacon of light fester is a glorious beacon of light fester is a glorious beacon of light fester is a glorious beacon of light fester is a glorious beacon of light fester is a glorious beacon of light fester is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taja05 View Post
It's like you said Masha will loose all the points from last year's YEC that's 525 but she'll definitely finish the year in the top 10 (I'm guessing that she'll end the year at number 8). She'll probably be seeded number 8 at the AO, which means she can only meet players ranked higher than her in the QF in no sooner. However the bad news is that she has a lot of points to defend in the first three months of the next season so it's possible that she'll drop out of Top 10 (I so hope that won't happen).

I don’t think that she will be seeded in the Top 8 for the Australian open unless somebody withdraws.

I am pretty sure that when she loses her YEC points, Zvonareva will move ahead of her, even if she does not do well. Even if Zvonareva is unable to defend her Hobart points, I think she will stay at No. 8 unless Sharapova enters a tournament before Sydney.

This would mean she will play the top seeds early, which may be difficult as she is coming back from a long injury break

As for defending the points like in Doha, unless she gets injured again, she will be playing more tournaments anyway and gaining points in other tournaments.

Laura Robson Heather Watson

Federer Nadal Wawrinka Simon Gasquet Murray
fester is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #6
country flag lakan kildap

lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold lakan kildap is a splendid one to behold

Maria's major (a.k.a. Grand Slam title) winning seems to be timed with even-numbered years, so I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't win any big ones this year.

But I'd be really, really glad if she somehow shows up at Roland Garros and bamboozles everyone THIS YEAR and completes her career GS. With Justine gone, there are no more 'locks' for RG. Anybody can win again, just like in the men's before Rafa arrived.

Last edited by lakan kildap : Nov 7th, 2008 at 03:41 AM.
lakan kildap is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #7

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masha's ranking points - eligible for a protected ranking?

Updated the first post with the things we know now.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #8
country flag Nina.

Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMary View Post
Updated the first post with the things we know now.
I was so confused because I first didn't look at the dates of the posts...

Although I really hope that Masha will be back until IW I'd really like to know how/ when she could have the possibility for a protected ranking.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #9
country flag pepaw

pepaw has a reputation beyond repute pepaw has a reputation beyond repute pepaw has a reputation beyond repute pepaw has a reputation beyond repute pepaw has a reputation beyond repute pepaw has a reputation beyond repute pepaw has a reputation beyond repute pepaw has a reputation beyond repute pepaw has a reputation beyond repute pepaw has a reputation beyond repute pepaw has a reputation beyond repute

She wont ever need a protected ranking though, right? Realistically, her ranking wont ever be too low to get into a tournament (unless she doesnt come back until grass season). Protected ranking can't be used for seeding so it doesnt matter if she's entering the tournment as number 3 or number 15.

I hope she'll be back for IW at the latest and that what seems most likely from reading her blog. I'm still hoping she goes to Paris though. Its a full 3 weeks after the start of the AO right?
pepaw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #10
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care about the ranking. A healthy Maria will win matches no matter how tough her draws are.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #11
country flag Taja05

Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyTennis19 View Post
She wont ever need a protected ranking though, right? Realistically, her ranking wont ever be too low to get into a tournament (unless she doesnt come back until grass season). Protected ranking can't be used for seeding so it doesnt matter if she's entering the tournment as number 3 or number 15.

I hope she'll be back for IW at the latest and that what seems most likely from reading her blog. I'm still hoping she goes to Paris though. Its a full 3 weeks after the start of the AO right?
I also hope that she'll be fit for Paris. It's a smaller tournament and a lot of the players going into the latter stages at the AO won't be there, so I think it's the ideal preperation. Once Maria slips out of the top 10 that will have its advantages, because under the new rules only top 10 players have to participate at a certain number of premier tournaments, those out of the top 10 can choose by themselves which tournaments they are going to play. That's ideal for Maria who's just coming back from injury. No one from the WTA on her back to tell her which tournaments she has to play.
Taja05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #12

As much as I hope to see her back early I just don't see her flying all the way from the States to Paris just to test out her match fitness, even if she's healthy by that time Same goes for Dubai imo. But maybe she'll play Memphis as a warm-up for IW?
I guess, all we can do right now is wait for news (a new doodle perhaps) and see how things work out for her...
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM   #13
country flag Ciarán

Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute Ciarán has a reputation beyond repute

I think her ranking falling will pump her up..

Paszek & Chakvetadze & Vaidisova & Sharapova & Pavlyuchenkova & Vekic.
Ciarán is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM   #14
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

as Masha's withdrawn from Paris
she's now eligible for an Injury (Special Rank) but thats only for entry purposes
and no tourn director will refuse her a WC in any case.
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM   #15

she did?
Well, I can't say I didn't see that coming...
I never saw her coming all the way from the US just to test out her form in the first place, but it's still a shame for all her French fans...
My bet is that she'll come back for IW since it's right around the corner and she should be healthy by then (I hope)!

Only thing I wish for is that she'll finally issue some sort of official statement so we (her fans) know what's up!