**Articles and Interviews ** - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 7th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #31
country flag Alizé Molik
Championne de Wimbledon 2013

Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: **Articles and Interviews **

oh my god c mimi! now we have french goat and french lioness!
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #32
country flag améliemomo

améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute

yes that' sound good in my ears lol

jla met en peluche(avatar) en attendant de voir qu'elle se conduise en veritable lionne sur le court. J'espere qu'on pourra voir un de ses matchs à la télé, ça fait un bail.

Actual Gourou of the "New French Armada"

my blog about french tennis future with the young french guns cominghttp://sheenatennis.canalblog.com/
améliemomo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #33
country flag améliemomo

améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute

Finally alize gave an interview and gives her impressions about her year and her preparation for 2010. Unfortunetly no words on her double partner:lol (translation from the net)

Quote:
Alize, those holidays must be enjoyable after this tough year?
holidays?it was anything but rest in this moment,it is rather intensive training. The holidays have lasted a week and I have resumed physical training!

Did you not want to cut a little more?
I have not played much these days, I've done more physical. And I confess that if I did not play tennis for more than 10 days, I really miss it.

If you're missing tennis is not a good sign?
Yes, it's a good sign. It means that I want.

Are you happy to have finally ended with this season?
Not really, because I began to have very good feelings about the three or four last tournaments. I am setting myself a little too late unfortunately but when I finished my last tournament in Luxembourg, I really had a bitter taste: I felt I had wasted half of my season. I am a little disappointed but on the other hand, I need a break to start again on something new.

Can you qualify that as a "revelation"?
Revelation I dont know but the motivation has returned. The results were hard to have not being seeded anymore and playing strong girls in the first rounds.My tennis was better when I decided to make me happy on the court again. It was quite natural last year but I had some bad thing this year. I realized that nothing is ever won and that I must fight to keep what I have.

Have you ever thought at a time to end your season?
No. There have been a case of force majeure. I confess that I continued the season in a sort of routine where I do not really investing myself in my matches. I was too passive, I was not playing with enough desire. I ruined my year like this but it will serve me as a lesson for the future.

Have you suffered from the reaction of the media or the public?
Everyone was quite nice. Maybe because we can all understand that we are not robots and that in our career, there are ups and downs. I did not have ten-year career without a hitch, without a crisis of confidence.

Did some players, some relatives had comforting words during this period?
Tennis is a very individualistic sport and the players have enough to do before attending to other careers. But, I went to Bercy this week and I saw Patrice Hagelauer (editor's note on DTN), a great confidant. He said things that made me much good. It's nice to talk to someone you trust who has an eye on the situation from the outside. He is a great philosopher.

Can you keep some positive from this season?
I guess the positive will come next year when I learned the lessons of this season. I had lost myself along the way this year and I feel I'm back on track. It boosts me. I would not enter the year 2010 by stress or lack of confidence. I am serene.

Is this what you feel to have matured "because" this episode?
One can even say "thanks". I go on court in a state of mind very different. Before, it was very stressful, I could not manage my emotions. Through this difficult year, I better control on the court and I could use a little more perspective.

Your tears in the first round of Fed Cup against Italy remains one of the outstanding images of your season. This kind of reactions belongs to the past?
If I play a Fed Cup, of course I would have these images in me yet, but at the same time, I must move on. And as I said, I grew up and I think it will serve me also in Fed Cup. Even if its ten times more emotions to manage in this competition. I look forward to the next test. I do not apprehend. I am not afraid.

Did you watch the fed cup finale won by Italy?
No I have not watched the match but at least I tell myself that we have not lost against anyone!

Should we expect any changes in your game for next season?
I have already started a lot of sites with Pierre (editor's note Bouteyre), my coach. We will work hard on the serve and the return. During the exchange, I can now compete with any girl, including the baseline. But concerning women , if we do not spend enough first serves or if we are not aggressive enough in return, you can lose the match. We will really focus on it because there is a large room for improvement at this level.

GDF SUEZ link:http://sports.gdfsuez.com/actualites...%EF%BF%BD.html

Actual Gourou of the "New French Armada"

my blog about french tennis future with the young french guns cominghttp://sheenatennis.canalblog.com/

Last edited by améliemomo : Nov 23rd, 2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #34
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

Cornet : « Un préparateur mental ? Pourquoi pas. »

La rédaction - ES - RMC.fr, le 09/02/2010
Battue par l’Israélienne Shahar Peer (6-4, 6-1) à Coubertin, Alizé Cornet traverse une période très difficile. La joueuse niçoise envisage de travailler prochainement avec un préparateur mental.

Alizé, comment analysez-vous cette nouvelle défaite ?
Peer a été plus forte que moi. C’est une joueuse qui est confiance, qui a gagné beaucoup de matches depuis l’année dernière. J’ai été très proche dans le premier set. Mais lorsqu’elle a pris le large, elle a mieux joué. Moi j’avais encore quelques restes de terre battue sous les pieds. C’était difficile pour moi de m’adapter au dur en deux jours.

Cette défaire est-elle la conséquence de votre participation à la Fed Cup ce week-end ?
Non. J’ai été battue par une joueuse plus forte que moi. Je ne me cherche pas d’excuse. Je joue le jeu de la Fed Cup depuis trois ans. Je ne le regrette pas même si ce n’est pas toujours l’idéal pour ma carrière individuelle.

Comment pouvez-vous sortir de cette spirale négative ?
Pour moi, ce n’est pas une spirale négative. Pour l’instant, le travail ne paie pas. Ce n’est pas toujours facile de s’accrocher. Il faut persévérer. Comme me l’a dit récemment Amélie (Mauresmo, ndlr), la persévérance est la clé de tout.

Comptez-vous changer des choses dans votre préparation ou votre entourage ?
Non, mais on m’a déjà posé la question au sujet d’un préparateur mental. Je vais réfléchir. Cela peut être une bonne opportunité pour moi de connaître autre chose. Pourquoi pas.

Comment vivez-vous cette période difficile ?
Je vois mon classement couler de mois en mois. Ce n’est pas facile à accepter surtout quand on a été proche du Top 10. Je suis une compétitrice. Je suis très fier. C’est dur de se voir couler. Mais je me dis que ce qui ne tue pas rend plus fort. Tout ce que je vis en ce moment me servira plus tard. Ne l’oublions pas, j’ai encore dix ans de carrière devant moi. J’ai encore de belles choses à vivre.

http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/102333...-pourquoi-pas/
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #35
country flag améliemomo

Mardi 09 février 2010 à 22h19
Déçue et affectée par sa défaite dès le premier tour de l'Open GDF SUEZ face à Shahar Peer, Alizé Cornet est revenue sur sa rencontre. Et sur la transition difficile avec l'épisode de Fed Cup de ce week-end.

Alizé, qu'est-ce que vous avez envie de dire après ce match ?
Je n'ai pas grand-chose à dire en fait. Elle a juste mieux joué que moi. Dans le premier set, j'ai eu quelques occasions de breaker que je n'ai pas su saisir. Peer est en grande confiance en ce moment et elle n'est de toute façon pas facile à jouer.

Dans quel état d'esprit êtes-vous arrivée sur le court après la défaite en Fed Cup de ce week-end ?
Comme toutes les autres je pense : triste d'avoir perdu ce week-end mais avec l'envie de rebondir le plus vite possible. J'avais déjà connu cette situation l'année dernière et j'avais quand même réussi à atteindre les quarts de finale. C'est vrai que cette fois, la Fed Cup se disputait sur terre battue. Le dimanche après-midi, je joue sur terre battue et un jour et demi plus tard, je me retrouve sur dur. Les plans de frappe étaient un peu moins devant, les déplacements ça allait mais les coups droits étaient vraiment durs après dix jours sur terre.

Quelles sont les solutions pour rebondir ?
Il faut que je continue dans ce que je suis en train de faire. Tout le monde voit ce qu'il se passe sur le court mais dans les coulisses, les gens n'imaginent pas à quel point je travaille dur pour essayer de me remettre dedans. J'espère juste que je ça paiera à un moment ou à un autre. Je reste sur mes intentions.

Vous évoquiez le stage de dix jours sur terre battue. Après coup, vous dites-vous que c'était peut être trop long ?
Même avant coup ! Quand j'ai su à l'Australian Open qu'on commençait le stage le vendredi, j'ai fait répéter trois fois pour être sûre que c'était vrai. C'est effectivement long même si l'ambiance dans l'équipe est incroyable. Après pour notre carrière individuelle, ce n'était pas génial de faire dix jours sur terre battue avant l'Open GDF SUEZ et avant la saison sur dur qui arrive. Je joue toujours le jeu de l'équipe de France. Ça s'est peut être retourné contre moi mais je ne regrette rien du tout.

Si le problème se reposait l'année prochaine, quelle serait votre réaction ?
Peut être que j'en discuterais avec les filles mais c'est difficile de mettre la parole du capitaine en doute parce qu'on lui fait toutes confiance. On applique à la règle ce qu'il nous dit. Ça nous servira de leçon parce qu'on peut arriver bien préparées sans gâcher notre prochain tournoi.

Est-ce que vous imaginez pouvoir faire intervenir un préparateur mental dans votre structure ?
Peut être. Ce n'est pas une option que j'ai rayée de ma liste. J'aurai cette expérience tôt ou tard. Beaucoup de joueurs professionnels se sont aidés d'un préparateur mental dans leur carrière et autant le faire le plus tôt possible. Ça peut ne pas marcher mais quoiqu'il arrive, ça n'enlèvera rien. Au mieux, ça m'apportera quelque chose, un déclic, quelqu'un à qui parler au pire, je resterai dans mes trucs. Je me dis que j'ai fait des choses pas trop mal il y a deux ans et j'étais la même fille. Alors pourquoi pas ? Je ne suis pas fermée à ça.

Le statut que vous devez porter aujourd'hui ne vous a-t-il pas aussi fait perdre votre insouciance des premières années ?
Mon statut là vous savez… (Elle fait la moue). Peut être l'année dernière parce que je voulais rester au niveau de 2008 et ça m'a un peu travaillée. Mais je suis retournée dans les pâquerettes cette saison donc c'est plus de la reconstruction après une mauvaise année. Ce n'est pas facile quand on voit toutes les filles qui sont dans le Top 50. Pour retourner parmi les meilleures, il faut très bien jouer. J'en suis capable mais il faut être constante toute l'année et ce n'est pas facile. J'essaie de m'accrocher. C'est mon métier. C'est une belle vie mais en contrepartie, il y a beaucoup de travail.

Quel est le programme pour vous maintenant ?
Je vais à Acapulco sur terre battue… Oui retourner sur terre, c'est vraiment débile comme programme (Rires). Au moins, je n'aurai pas trop pris d'habitude sur dur. Je vais à Acapulco et ensuite je retourne sur dur à Monterrey avant Indian Wells et Miami. Acapulco, c'est une transition pour se faire plaisir parce que c'est un très bon tournoi. J'espère que ça me redonnera un peu d'énergie.

Le plaisir justement, est-il toujours présent ?
Ce n'est pas une question de plaisir. Je m'éclate de nouveau en jouant et à l'entraînement, je donne tout ce que j'ai. Je ne lésine pas sur le travail. Après d'autres facteurs rentrent en compte quand on est sur le court et le plaisir n'est plus qu'une toute petite partie. Il y a la constance, le mental, le jeu, le physique, il y a plein de choses.

http://www.opengdfsuez.com/tips.php?...84&language=fr
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #36
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting Veronika. I will attempt a translation using my high school French, for those fans of Alize who don't speak French... I've tried to translate it into normal English.

Cornet : A mental coach? Why not?

The draft - ES - RMC.fr, 09/02/2010

Beaten by Israel's Shahar Peer (6-4, 6-1) in Coubertin, Alizé Cornet is currently going through a very difficult time in her career. The player from Nice plans to work soon with a mental coach.

Alizé, how would you assess this latest defeat?
Peer was stronger than me. She's a confident player at the moment, she won a lot of matches last year. I was very close in the first set. But overall she played better. I still had, figuratively speaking, some clay on the soles of my feet. It was difficult for me to adjust to hardcourt in two days.

Is this defeat the consequence of your participation in the Fed Cup in the weekend?
No. I was beaten by a stronger player than me. I'm not looking for an excuse. I've played Fed Cup for three years. I don't regret it even if it's not always completely ideal for my individual career.

How can you get out of this downward spiral?
For me, it isn't a downward spiral. For the moment, my work isn't paying off. It isn't always easy to hold on. I have to persevere. As Amélie said to me just the other day, perseverance is the key to it all.

Are you planning to change some things in your preparation or your entourage?
No, but people have already brought up the question of a mental coach. I'll think about it. That might be a good opportunity for me to learn something else. Why not.

How do you get through this difficult time?
I see my ranking fall every month. It isn't easy to accept especially when I was once close to the top 10. I'm a competitor. I have a lot of pride. It's hard to see my ranking fall. But I tell myself that what doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Everything I experience now will be useful to me later. Don't forget, I still have at least ten years of my tennis career ahead of me. I still have some wonderful things to look forward to.
HowardH is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #37
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting Amira, except this interview is... longer . Again, I'm trying to use normal English so some phrases will have changed a bit.

Tuesday the 9th of February 2010, 10:19pm (French time)
Disappointed by her defeat in the first round of the Open GDF SUEZ against Shahar Peer, Alizé Cornet reflects on the encounter. And on the difficult transition from the Fed Cup just last weekend.

Alizé, now that this match is over, what do you want to say about it?
I don't have a lot to say actually. She just played better than me. In the first set, I had a few chances to break which I wasn't able to seize. Peer is full of confidence right now and in any event, she is never easy to play.

When you went onto the court, in what kind of spirits were you in after the Fed Cup defeat just last weekend?
Like everyone else I think: disappointed to have lost in the weekend but with the desire to rebound as quickly as possible. I had already experienced this situation last year and all the same I managed to reach the quarterfinals. It's true that this time, the Fed Cup was on clay. On Sunday afternoon I'm playing on clay and one and a half days later, I find myself on a hard court. My contact point was a little less in front, moving was okay but forehands were really tough after ten days on clay.

How are you going to bounce back?
I have to continue to do what I'm doing. Everyone sees what happens on the court but behind the scenes, people can't imagine how hard I work to try to give my all. I just hope that it will pay off sooner or later. My aims remain the same.

You mentioned the ten days on clay. Afterwards, would you say that might be too long?
Even before it! When I learned at the Australian Open that we would start on Friday, I had to check it three times to be sure it was true. It's really long even if the atmosphere in the team is incredible. Afterwards, for our individual careers, it isn't very good to have ten days on clay before the Open GDF SUEZ and before the upcoming hardcourt season. I always play for the French team. It sometimes works against me but I don't regret anything at all.

If the problem resurfaces again next year, what will be your reaction?
Maybe I would discuss it with the girls but it's difficult to question the word of the captain since we have to put complete trust in him. We follow the rules he tells us. That will serve as a lesson for us, since we can arrive well prepared without wasting our next tournament.

Do you think you will be able to utilise a mental coach in your team?
Maybe. It isn't an option that I've crossed off my list. I'll have experience with this sooner or later. A lot of professional players have used a mental coach to help themselves in their career and to do as much as they can as soon as possible. That might not work but whatever it does, it won't remove anything. At the best, it will bring me something new, a great idea, someone to talk to, at the worst, I'll still have my old bag of tricks. I tell myself that I haven't been doing things too badly these last two years and I'm still the same girl. So why not? I'm not completely against it.

The status that you carry now, did that also cause you to lose the carefree attitude you had in your first years on tour?
My status there you know... (She grimaces). Maybe last year because I wanted to stay at my 2008 level and that was on my mind a little. But I'm turning over a new leaf this season so it's more like a reconstruction after a bad year. It isn't easy when you see all the girls who are in the top 50. To be among the best again, I have to play very well. I am capable of it but it's necessary to do it all throughout the year and that isn't easy. I'm trying to hang in there. It's my trade. It's a wonderful life but on the other hand, there's a lot of work involved.

What is the programme for you now?
I'm going to the clay courts in Acapulco... Yes to return to clay, it's really not a very good programme (laughs). At least I haven't had too much practice on hard courts. I'm going to Acapulco and then I go back to hardcourts in Monterrey before Indian Wells and Miami. Acapulco is an enjoyable transition because it's a very nice tournament. I hope it will give me a bit of extra energy.

That enjoyment, is it always present?
It isn't a question of enjoyment. I push myself to the bursting point again and again when I'm playing and when I'm training, I give everything I have. I don't skimp on work. After the other factors are taken into account when you are on the court the enjoyment is nothing more than one small part of it. There is consistency, the mental part, the game itself, the physical side, there are a lot of things.

Last edited by HowardH : Feb 10th, 2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #38
country flag améliemomo

Thanks howard for your translation
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #39
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

Alizé Cornet :« Juste une joie immense ! »

Alizé, quel effet cela vous fait-il d’avoir remporté une victoire aussi collective ?

Je pense que toutes les victoires et défaites sont collectives. Nico (Escudé) nous dit toujours : Que tu perdes ou que tu gagnes, c’est l’équipe qui perd ou qui gagne avec toi. Là, c’est vrai qu’on a toutes mis notre pierre à l’édifice et ça fait trop plaisir.

C’est votre première victoire en neuf matches de Fed Cup. Quel effet cela vous fait-il ?

C’est vrai qu’après toutes ces désillusions en Fed Cup, arriver sur le court et apporter le point décisif avec Julie, c’est que du bonheur ! C’est juste une joie immense ! On avait vu le boulot qu’avaient fait Aravane et Pauline, ce n’était pas évident, parce qu’on était menées 1-0, puis 2-1. Mais elles sont revenues. On est arrivés un peu comme des cheveux sur la soupe, mais on a réussi à mettre une tôle aux Allemandes. C’était trop bon !

Pensez-vous qu’il y aura un avant et un après Francfort ?

Je ne sais pas mais ça nous apporte de la confiance. On parle toujours d’équipe en transition, après les départs d’Amélie (Mauresmo) et Nathalie (Dechy). On a montré qu’on pouvait super bien jouer et qu’on avait une belle équipe. »
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #40
country flag HowardH

Translation : some parts were a little tough for me to translate (some new phrases for me, I'm not 100% sure what a tôle is, and also the phrase "comme des cheveux sur la soupe" -like hair on soup? is new to me) but I improvised what I didn't know and hopefully captured the overall feel of it.

Alizé Cornet :"Just an immense joy!"

Alizé, how does it feel to have recorded a win, and an overall win as well?

I think that all the wins and losses are collective. Nico always tells us that whether you lose or you win, it's the team which loses or wins with you. Well, it's true that we all contributed stones to the overall building, so to speak, and that feels really good.

It's your first win in nine matches of Fed Cup. How does that feel?

It's true that after all the disappointments in Fed Cup, to go on the court and get the deciding point with Julie is a really good feeling! It's just an immense joy! We saw the work which Aravane and Pauline did, it wasn't obvious, because we were losing 1-0, then 2-1. But we came back. We got there in a sort of awkward, round-about way, but we managed to stop the German girls. It was great!

Do you think that there's a "before Frankfurt" and an "after Frankfurt"?

I don't know but this gives us confidence. People always speak of a team in transition, after the departure of Amélie and Nathalie. We showed that we can play really well and that we have a great team.

Last edited by HowardH : Apr 27th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #41
country flag Alizé Molik
Championne de Wimbledon 2013

Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute

arriver comme des cheveux sur la soupe means like..arriving not in an expected way..or a suprise?
i think a good way of saying tole would be to say they stopped them? or like wrapped them up or something.

is that good? quelqu'un peut mieux expliquer cela? je suis pas confiant avec les traductions francais-anglais.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #42
country flag Drine

Drine has disabled reputation

What Alizé means with "on a réussi à mettre une tôle aux Allemandes" is "we managed to crush, to destroy the Germans"
Drine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #43
country flag HowardH

Thanks for the help guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizé Molik View Post
arriver comme des cheveux sur la soupe means like..arriving not in an expected way..or a suprise?
i think a good way of saying tole would be to say they stopped them? or like wrapped them up or something.

is that good? quelqu'un peut mieux expliquer cela? je suis pas confiant avec les traductions francais-anglais.
Yes, it's a good explanation. Even if you don't feel confident you will automatically translate well into English from French since, like several other posters in this forum, you are very nearly fluent in English. I wish I was that fluent in French . From my research the "arriver comme des cheveux sur la soupe" phrase seems to suggest awkwardness as well. Trying to think of how to put that in English...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drine View Post
What Alizé means with "on a réussi à mettre une tôle aux Allemandes" is "we managed to crush, to destroy the Germans"
Thanks! I didn't realise "mettre une tôle" had such a strong meaning. Using "crush" or "destroy" might be a little too strong in English though, it might seem like an arrogant thing to say. I think "managed to put a stop to them" or "managed to stop them" is probably a close English phrase, although something is undoubtedly lost in the translation.

Given your suggestions, I think the best translation I can think of is "We got there in a kind of awkward, round-about way, but we managed to stop the Germans." I edited my translation.

Thanks guys! I love when people share their knowledge with me .

Last edited by HowardH : Apr 27th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #44
country flag Drine

Drine has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
Thanks for the help guys

Thanks! I didn't realise "mettre une tôle" had such a strong meaning. Using "crush" or "destroy" might be a little too strong in English though, it might seem like an arrogant thing to say. I think "managed to put a stop to them" or "managed to stop them" is probably a close English phrase, although something is undoubtedly lost in the translation.

Given your suggestions, I think the best translation I can think of is "We got there in a kind of awkward, round-about way, but we managed to stop the Germans." I edited my translation.

Thanks guys! I love when people share their knowledge with me .
No, I can assure you it does have this meaning It's stronger than "we managed to stop them".
It is a bit arrogant from Alizé, maybe she shouldn't have used these terms but the meaning is correct.

For "arriver comme un cheveu sur la soupe" is a French expression. The equivalent in English would be "to turn up at a very awkward moment"
Drine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #45
country flag Nena_xxx

Nena_xxx is a splendid one to behold Nena_xxx is a splendid one to behold Nena_xxx is a splendid one to behold Nena_xxx is a splendid one to behold Nena_xxx is a splendid one to behold Nena_xxx is a splendid one to behold Nena_xxx is a splendid one to behold Nena_xxx is a splendid one to behold Nena_xxx is a splendid one to behold Nena_xxx is a splendid one to behold Nena_xxx is a splendid one to behold

Part of the article from website http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/actua...struction.html

Tennis: la France entre espoir et reconstruction

Chez les filles, le bilan est moins glorieux car derrière Marion Bartoli, 16e et dont le palmarès est resté vierge de tout titre cette année, et Aravane Rezaï, 19e et qui a soulevé deux trophées à Madrid et Bastad, la relève se fait attendre.

Alizé Cornet n'a pas retrouvé la confiance qui avait fait d'elle la 11e joueuse mondiale il y a deux ans, et Virginie Razzano, ancienne pensionnaire du top 20, peine à récupérer d'une blessure au pied contractée en mars sur une mauvaise manipulation d'un kiné de la WTA.

Mais la Fédération a lancé un plan de réhabilitation du tennis féminin et le DTN espère qu'il portera vite ses fruits. "On travaille à tous les étages de la fusée", dit-il.

Pour autant, Patrice Hagelauer veut demeurer optimiste, même s'il sait que du travail reste à faire.

"Malgré les blessures, chez les garçons, ça a été une année faste. Chez les filles, il faut progresser pour faire en sorte que toutes celles qui ont un potentiel aillent plus haut."
Nena_xxx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote