Birmingham 2008: Andrew's eyewitness report & photos - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #1
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Birmingham 2008: Andrew's eyewitness report & photos

===========
DFS CLASSIC (Edgbaston, Birmingham, England; grass; WTA Tier III)
=========== http://birmingham.lta.org.uk/
Contents
--------

1. My photos
2. Second round: Bartoli v Cetkovská
3. Articles

Master-reports for Birmingham 2008:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=352747

------------
1. My photos
------------

Permission to copy my Birmingham photos is granted provided that:
(a) no money is exchanged;
(b) they are labelled as "Copyright 2008 Andrew Broad".
Please let me know if you do use them on another website.

I have uploaded all my photos for Wednesday 11th June 2008, in one big zip-file, to:
http://www.divshare.com/download/5232315-595

Wednesday's players:

Marion Bartoli (21 photos)
Nicole Vaidišová (61)
Sania Mirza (30)
Yaroslava Shvedova (30)
Petra Cetkovská (28)
Katie O'Brien (16)
Sorana Cîrstea (14)
Marta Domachowska (13)
Marina Eraković (13)
Aiko Nakamura (10)
Michaëlla Krajíček (7)
Nathalie Dechy (6)
Ioana Raluca Olaru (4)
MC Vicki Stone (4)
Maria Sharapova poster (1)
Monica Niculescu (1)
Tatiana Poutchek (1)

There's also one photo of Marion in my Tuesday photos:
http://www.divshare.com/download/5229165-ae6

------------------------------------
2. Second round: Bartoli v Cetkovská (Wednesday 11th June)
------------------------------------

- MARION BARTOLI [1,DF,S] lt. Petra Cetkovská, 7-5 4-6 0-6

This was a good match for the first two sets, with an intriguing contrast of styles between Marion's heavier, Selesian groundstrokes, and Cetkovská's lightweight, elegant game that included a lot of slices on the backhand and some on the forehand too, and a lot of dropshots. Cetkovská even served for the first set with a set-point at *5-4 (40/30).

But Marion faded badly in the third set; by *0-4, she was just trying to hit a winner on every stroke, and she didn't even sit down at the 0-5* changeover. It could not have been plainer that she wanted to get off court as quickly as possible; what wasn't so obvious from watching it live was that she was in fact injured.

Since Marion didn't show any obvious signs of injury or take a medical time-out, I just assumed she had checked out mentally (having said she needed a break from tennis after her first-round loss at the French Open), but afterwards, she revealed that her bad wrist had flared up in the second set.

Marion has simplified her service-action from the 2007 grass-court season, when she would wrap her fingers very deliberately around the racket-handle and cock her wrist - those features are gone now, along with the energy-bounce before each serve.

First set
---------
BARTOLI *@__*@___@*@ 7
CETKOVS __@*__@*@___ 5

The match was third on Centre Court, in cold, windy conditions. Cetkovská won the toss and chose to receive, and play started at 14:52 BST.

Marion serving 0-0: Service-winner down the middle. 15/0. Double fault (second serve into the net). 15/15. Marion backhand long. 15/30. Cetkovská forehand long. 30/30. Cetkovská forehand return wide. 40/30. Cetkovská forehand long.

Cetkovská serving 0-1: Cetkovská netted a forehand on the third stroke. 0/15. Cetkovská tried a forehand dropshot, but it gave Marion a crosscourt forehand pass-winner. 15/15. Cetkovská netted a forehand on the third stroke. 15/30. Marion netted a forehand return. 30/30. Double fault (second serve long). 30/40. Cetkovská netted a forehand on the third stroke.

Marion serving 2-0: Marion crosscourt forehand wide. 0/15. Cetkovská's deep return forced Marion to hit a backhand wide. 0/30. Cetkovská backhand dropshot + crosscourt backhand pass-winner. 0/40. Marion backhand long.

Just as I was about to put my camera away, Cetkovská took her overtop off! She has wonderful smooth shoulders as well as a pretty face.

Cetkovská serving 1-2: Double fault (second serve into the net). 0/15. Marion forehand wide. 15/15. Marion dumped a forehand halfway up the net. 30/15. Service-winner out wide. 40/15. Marion hit a backhand return-winner down Cetkovská's backhand-sideline. 40/30. Marion down-the-line forehand wide.

Marion serving 2-2: Marion netted a forehand. 0/15. In a long rally, Marion hit a two-handed forehand volley but retreated from the net, and eventually hit a crosscourt backhand dropshot-winner. 15/15. Marion came to the net and hit a forehand smash-winner. 30/15. Serve out wide + backhand drive-volley winner down the line. 40/15. Double fault (second serve wide). 40/30. Serve + crosscourt forehand + forehand volley-winner down the line.

A serve-and-volley game by Marion!

Cetkovská serving 2-3: Marion hit a down-the-line backhand winner back behind Cetkovská. 0/15. Cetkovská dumped a forehand halfway up the net. 0/30. Double fault (second serve into the net). 0/40 (BP). Cetkovská sliced backhand down the line + off-forehand winner. 15/40 (BP #2). Serve out wide + forehand winner down the line. 30/40 (BP #3). Marion forehand wide. 40/40. Service-winner down the middle. Ad Cetkovská. She netted a forehand on the third stroke. Deuce #2. Marion hit a low-bouncing backhand winner down the line. Ad Marion (BP #4). Marion forehand long. Deuce #3. Marion forehand return-winner down the line. Ad Marion (BP #5). Cetkovská backhand dropshot + crosscourt forehand pass-winner. Deuce #4. Marion worked her way to the net, forcing Cetkovská to net a backhand. Ad Marion (BP #6). Cetkovská sliced backhand wide.

Marion serving 4-2: Double fault (second serve into the net). 0/15. Marion hit an error-forcing backhand dropshot. 15/15. Cetkovská forehand wide. 30/15. Double fault (second serve into the net). 30/30. Serve out wide + off-backhand winner back behind Cetkovská. 40/30. Double fault (second serve into the net). 40/40. Marion hit a deep crosscourt backhand winner. Ad Marion. Cetkovská hit a forehand winner down Marion's forehand-sideline. Deuce #2. A close-range exchange ended with Cetkovská hitting a crosscourt forehand pass-winner. Ad Cetkovská (BP). Service-winner down the middle. Deuce #3. A deep return with a bad bounce forced Marion to earth a backhand. Ad Cetkovská (BP #2). Serve out wide + no-bounce crosscourt backhand winner. Deuce #4. Marion netted a deep forehand volley, but Cetkovská hit a crosscourt backhand pass-winner. Ad Cetkovská (BP #3). Marion opened up the court and went for an off-backhand winner, but it was just wide.

Cetkovská serving 3-4: Ace out wide. 15/0. Serve out wide + crosscourt backhand winner back behind Marion. 30/0. A low bounce forced Marion to net a backhand. 40/0. Ace down the middle.

Marion serving 4-4: Cetkovská forehand long. 15/0. Cetkovská ran down a dropshot and hit a crosscourt backhand winner. 15/15. Marion came to the net, but Cetkovská hit an error-forcing crosscourt backhand pass. 15/30. Cetkovská sliced a backhand pass into the bottom of the net, and moaned. 30/30. Cetkovská forced Marion to hit a forehand lob long. 30/40. Cetkovská spread Marion vertically: her dropshot + lob + dropshot combination forcing Marion to hit a forehand wide.

Marion had a coaching-session with her father: Dr. Walter Bartoli.

Cetkovská serving 5-4: Service-winner out wide. 15/0. Cetkovská's forehand down the line clipped the netcord and fell wide. 15/15. Cetkovská netted a running backhand. 30/15. Marion netted a forehand. 30/30. Marion forehand long. 40/30 (SP). Cetkovská sliced a backhand just wide - it would have been a winner - off a low ball from Marion. 40/40. Cetkovská forehand wide on the third stroke. Ad Marion (BP). With the wind rising, Cetkovská's deep crosscourt forehand forced Marion to net a forehand. Deuce #2. Marion spread Cetkovská, forcing her to net a forehand. Ad Marion (BP #2). Double fault (second serve into the net).

Marion serving 5-5: Double fault (second serve clipped the netcord, and was just long). 0/15. Marion forehand netcord-winner. 15/15. Marion spread Cetkovská, forcing her to slice a forehand wide. 30/15. Cetkovská netted a forehand return. 40/15. Cetkovská netted a backhand return.

Cetkovská serving 5-6: Marion's defensive lob induced Cetkovská to hit a forehand long. 0/15. Cetkovská forehand long. 0/30. Cetkovská netted a forehand on the third stroke. 0/40. Cetkovská slapped a forehand into the net to lose the first set 7-5 at 15:41 (49m).

Cetkovská's turn to see her coach.

Second set
----------
BARTOLI __*@*__@__ 4
CETKOVS @*___*@ @* 6

Marion serving 0-0: Marion ran down a dropshot and hit a forehand winner down the line. 15/0. Marion netted a forehand. 15/15. Cetkovská forced Marion to earth a forehand. 15/30. Serve out wide + backhand winner down the line. 30/30. Marion forehand wide. 30/40. Marion did her only energy-bounce of the match, but it didn't help: she served a double fault (second serve into the net).

Cetkovská serving 1-0: Marion opened up the court with a crosscourt forehand, and hit a forehand winner down the line. 0/15. Cetkovská forehand volley-winner. 15/15. Marion's return forced Cetkovská to earth a backhand. 15/30. Cetkovská backhand volley-winner. 30/30. Forehand return wide. 40/30. Marion crosscourt forehand return-winner. 40/40. Marion spread Cetkovská, forcing her to hit a forehand lob wide (Marion hit a forehand smash anyway!). Ad Marion (BP). A meaty rally ended with Cetkovská hitting a backhand dropshot-winner. Deuce #2. Cetkovská dropshot + forehand pass-winner down the line: on the baseline. Ad Cetkovská. Marion punished a second serve with a blazing crosscourt backhand return-winner. Deuce #3. Marion took the initiative, but netted a backhand volley. Ad Cetkovská. Marion backhand dropshot-winner. Deuce #4. Crosscourt backhand return wide. Ad Cetkovská. Marion netted a running forehand.

Marion serving 0-2: Marion hit a deep, error-forcing backhand. 15/0. Marion backhand long. 15/15. Forehand return long. 30/15. Marion netted a backhand. 30/30. Double fault (second serve into the net). 30/40 (BP). Marion opened up the court, and hit a crosscourt backhand winner. 40/40. Cetkovská forced a short ball from Marion, and hit a forehand winner down Marion's forehand-sideline. Ad Cetkovská (BP #2). Serve + deep error-forcing crosscourt forehand. Cetkovská yelled and muttered. Deuce #2. Ace out wide. Ad Marion. Cetkovská netted a backhand.

More coaching for Marion.

Cetkovská serving 2-1: She netted a backhand on the third stroke. 0/15. Cetkovská played a spreading rally, ending with a crosscourt backhand volley-winner. 15/15. Service-winner out wide. 30/15. Cetkovská netted a backhand. 30/30. Marion hit a crosscourt backhand winner back behind Cetkovská. 30/40. Cetkovská netted a sliced backhand.

Marion serving 2-2: Ace out wide: on the sideline. 15/0. Cetkovská sliced backhand long. 30/0. A deep, low-bouncing crosscourt forehand return forced Marion to hit a forehand long. 30/15. Cetkovská forehand winner down the line. 30/30. Marion pounced on a high, floating sliced backhand to hit a backhand volley-winner down the line. 40/30. Double fault (second serve into the net). 40/40. Service-winner down the middle. Ad Marion. Cetkovská forehand long.

Cetkovská serving 2-3: Marion backhand wide. 15/0. Cetkovská's low-bouncing sliced backhand forced Marion to net a backhand. 30/0. Marion hit an error-forcing crosscourt backhand. 30/15. Cetkovská got down well to a low ball, hitting a pinpoint forehand winner down the line: on the sideline. 40/15. Service-winner.

Marion serving 3-3: Cetkovská forced a lob, let it bounce, and hit a forehand smash-winner. 0/15. Double fault (second serve into the net). 0/30. Cetkovská worked her way to the net and hit a crosscourt forehand volley-winner. 0/40. Marion backhand long.

Cetkovská saw her coach at the changeover.

Cetkovská serving 4-3: Cetkovská netted a backhand. 0/15. Double fault (second serve into the net). 0/30. Cetkovská worked her way to the net, forcing Marion to hit a crosscourt pass wide. 15/30. Marion's low-bouncing return forced Cetkovská to net a forehand. 15/40. Cetkovská sliced a backhand wide.

Marion serving 4-4: Cetkovská forehand return just wide. 15/0. Double fault (second serve wide). 15/15. Cetkovská forehand long. 30/15. Cetkovská netted a sliced backhand. 40/15. Double fault (second serve wide). 40/30. Marion backhand just long. 40/40. Cetkovská crosscourt sliced backhand + crosscourt forehand winner. Ad Cetkovská (BP). She netted a forehand return, and muttered. Deuce #2. Marion netted a backhand. Ad Cetkovská (BP #2). Cetkovská off-forehand + crosscourt forehand virtual winner.

Cetkovská serving 5-4: Marion hit a crosscourt backhand drive-volley winner from no-man's-land. 0/15. Service-winner. 15/15. Cetkovská crosscourt backhand winner onto the baseline. 30/15. Marion backhand return very long. 40/15 (SP #1). Service-winner out wide. Cetkovská won the second set 6-4 at 16:28 (second set 47m, match so far 1h36m).

Third set
---------
BARTOLI ______ 0
CETKOVS @*@*@* 6

Marion serving 0-0: Cetkovská hit a crosscourt forehand pass-winner that clipped the netcord. 0/15. Marion netted a backhand. 0/30. Double fault (second serve into the net). 0/40. Marion crosscourt forehand wide.

Cetkovská serving 1-0: Marion forehand long. 15/0. Serve + crosscourt forehand winner. 30/0. Cetkovská on the third stroke hit a backhand dropshot wide from the baseline. 30/15. Serve out wide + well-held crosscourt forehand winner. 40/15. Ace out wide.

Marion serving 0-2: Serve + crosscourt forehand winner. 15/0. Marion crosscourt backhand winner. 30/0. Cetkovská forehand pass-winner down the line. 30/15. Marion crosscourt backhand wide. 30/30. Cetkovská netted a backhand return. 40/30. Double fault (second serve long). 40/40. Ace down the middle. Ad Cetkovská (BP). She hit a crosscourt backhand winner off a short ball from Marion.

Cetkovská serving 3-0: Marion netted a backhand volley. 15/0. Ace down the middle. 40/0. Service-winner.

Marion serving 0-4: Serve + crosscourt forehand winner. 15/0. Double fault (second serve into the net). 15/15. Double fault (second serve long). 15/30. Marion on the third stroke hit a forehand very long. 15/40. Service-winner down the middle. 30/40 (BP). Serve out wide + crosscourt forehand winner. 40/40. Service-winner down the middle. Ad Marion. On the third stroke, Marion hit a backhand very long. Deuce #2. Marion on the third stroke hit a backhand very long. Ad Cetkovská (BP #2). A low return forced Marion to hit a backhand wide.

Marion was just trying to hit a winner on every stroke of that game. She didn't even sit down at the changeover; just walked straight down to the other end and stood there waiting.

Cetkovská serving 5-0: Ace down the middle: on the service-line. 15/0. Good off-forehand return + off-forehand winner back behind Cetkovská. 15/15. Marion netted a forehand return. 30/15. Marion netted a backhand. 40/15 (MP #1). Marion netted a forehand return. Cetkovská won 5-7 6-4 6-0 at 16:46 (third set 18m, match 1h54m). Marion didn't shake the umpire's hand.

Cetkovská's on-court interview: "I'm very, very happy. Yeah, I was not feeling very well at the beginning, but very good at the end."

-----------
3. Articles
-----------

Bartoli a major doubt for Wimbledon [Teletext 495->497]
>>>
Bartoli an injury-doubt [Teletext 497]

Top seed Marion Bartoli is an injury-doubt for Wimbledon after crashing out of the DFS Classic at Birmingham.

The world No.10, who was runner-up at Wimbledon last year, aggravated a wrist-injury during the second set of her 5-7 6-4 6-0 defeat to Petra Cetkovská.

Bartoli said: "My wrist has bothered me since the French Open. It's really painful, and it's really not a situation where I want to stay on court."
<<<

Marion Bartoli Questionable for Wimbledon After Losing in Birmingham
Posted by Aaress Lawless
http://www.onthebaseline.com/2008/06...in-birmingham/
>>>
Last year's Wimbledon-finalist Marion Bartoli may skip the 2008 Championships because of a wrist-injury.

Bartoli was upset in the second round of the DFS Classic on Wednesday before hinting that she may miss the next Grand Slam.

"It's been bothering me since before the French Open," said Bartoli in comments published by the AP.

"I've been having treatment, but it's tendinitis, and there is only so much you can do for that. It seems like 2008 doesn't want me to be in great shape. I am always having something: some illness or injury."

It has been a disappointing 2008 season for Bartoli, who said that she will skip Wimbledon "if it's not getting better."

"Missing a Grand Slam, especially Wimbledon, is a huge disappointment," added the top seed in Birmingham.

After losing to Petra Cetkovská in her opening match 5-7 6-4 6-0, Bartoli's 2008 match-record fell to 8:14.
<<<

Bartoli loses at Birmingham, may miss Wimbledon (AP)
>>>
Top-seeded Marion Bartoli lost her opening match of the DFS Classic on Wednesday, and may miss Wimbledon because of a wrist-injury.

Bartoli, the Wimbledon runner-up last year, was upset 5-7 6-4 6-0 by the 52-ranked Petra Cetkovská. Bartoli, ranked 10th, said her wrist-injury has hampered her play.

"It's been bothering me since before the French Open," Bartoli said. "I've been having treatment, but it's tendinitis, and there is only so much you can do for that. It seems like 2008 doesn't want me to be in great shape. I am always having something: some illness or injury."

Bartoli, who also lost to Casey Dell'Acqua of Australia in the first round of the French Open, said she may miss Wimbledon "if it's not getting better."

"Missing a Grand Slam, especially Wimbledon, is a huge disappointment," she said.

Bartoli came from a break down to win the first set 7-5, and was close to victory at 4-4 in the second. But she appeared to give up after going down 4-5, dropping the last eight games quickly.

Bartoli sent groundstrokes long or wide, and served four double faults in her last two service-games.

Asked why she did not retire, Bartoli said: "I always try to be fair with everyone, and by retiring it becomes like, 'Why can't you find a solution?' For the crowd, it is better to go on in the match, and for my opponent, she doesn't feel she has beaten me if I pull out."
<<<

Brits battle but bow out in Birmingham
http://www.lta.org.uk/News/All-news-...in-Birmingham/
>>>
No.1 seed Marion Bartoli crashed out in the second round to Petra Cetkovská 7-5 4-6 0-6, scarcely winning a point in the third set after inflaming a wrist-injury she sustained in Strasbourg.

Bartoli, who gallantly played on although visibly incapacitated in the third set, said: "I don't like to retire during the match unless I really have to; I like to be fair to my opponent. [I feel] quite sad; last year I was able to play more, but it was hard on my body."
<<<

http://tennis.com/news/ticker.aspx
>>>
Bartoli loses 5-7 6-4 6-0 to Cetkovská at Birmingham, and says wrist-tendinitis may cause her to miss Wimbledon, where she is the defending finalist. "I've been having treatment, but it's tendinitis, and there is only so much you can do for that. It seems like 2008 doesn't want me to be in great shape. I am always having something: some illness or injury," she said. "Missing a Grand Slam, especially Wimbledon, [would be] a huge disappointment."
<<<

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
(see profile or signature for links)
My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchová; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudová; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarëva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišová; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafářová; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybáriková; 13. Sabine Lisicki
andrewbroad is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote