Big West - 2008 Fall Tournaments - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #16
country flag form

form has disabled reputation
Re: Riviera All-American

Seems like a ton of schools pull kids from Rivi doubles if they don't make singles. Travel or maybe just a bad use of an allowable match date to play in single elimination doubles draw?

Pretty sure I saw a couple of LB pairs in the original wait list but withdrawn within a day or two... if I recall correctly. Kind of amazing that nearly 20 doubles teams have been pulled.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 25th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #17
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

The prequalifying draws are out. I don't see any Big West players below advancing.

Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly vs #5 seed Estefania Balda - Clemson

Prequalifying singles

1. UCI's Fermin/Kwan withdrew.
2. Some doubles partners have changed.

Brady/Matzenauer - Cal Poly vs Craddock/Damico - Texas

Vertesheva/Doane - CSUN vs Ellis/Ueshima - Georgia

Kukla/Jaworowski - CSUN vs Saiontz/McHale - Princeton

Prequalifying doubles

Last edited by gouci : Sep 27th, 2008 at 01:27 AM.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #18
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Cal Invitational

Here are the Cal Invitational draws.

The live feed is not working for me.
Does Cal have an online scoreboard?
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #19
country flag gouci

Evgeniya Vertesheva of Cal State Northridge has been added to the prequalifying singles draw.
We get to gauge how good she is in both singles and doubles.

Evgeniya Vertesheva - CSUN vs McCall Harkins - TCU

Here's the updated prequalifying singles draw.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #20
country flag gouci

Day 1 Big West Observations

1. Why no Jessica Weeks? Does Long Beach State only take 6 players on road trips?
Was she sick, injured ... or is planning to transfer? Just kidding!

2. Rachel Manasse is playing in the Blue draw and Lisa Sutton is playing in the White draw.
Looks like Manasse has jumped over Sutton on the depth chart.
Props to Manasse for beating Ariane Masschelein who played #3-5 singles for Arizona.

3. Lisa Sutton and Julie Luzar have been relegated to the "bench draw." More than half the players in the White draw are walk-ons or sit on the bench for their teams. Thought would at least get to see Sutton vs Luzar in the finals to see who between them might play at #6 singles.

4. Props to the Long Beach State athletic website for promptly posting their results for Day 1. More than can be said for the host school.

5. #64 Hannah Grady (Long Beach State) loses in upset to unranked Alessandra Ferrazi (Minnesota) 6-3, 5-7, 4-6.
Grady did a "Steffi Wong." She won the 1st set but ended up losing in three.

Day 1 upsets

1. Kristina Doerr (BYU) beats Claire Ilcinkas (Cal) 6-4, 6-2
2. Claire Soper (St. Mary's) beats Abigail Olivier (Fresno St.) 6-0, 6-4
3. Kateryna Nezhura (Pacific) beats Laura Pola (Fresno St.) 6-2, 6-3
- Maybe Fresno St. won't be winning the national title with Olivier & Pola after all.
4. Sianna Simmons (ASU) beats Stephany Chang (Cal) 6-4, 7-5

Last edited by gouci : Sep 28th, 2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #21
country flag form

Re: Big West - 2008 Fall Tournaments

Gouci... you are good

# 1 - Someone said minor injury... but no specifics

# 2 - You must have missed where Manasse beat Wetmore 2, 2 in August HB tournament... She advanced to semi's today... Maybe the next Bernhard of Big West?

# 3 - Just guessing but there is only so much room in each draw... so they worked off similar rankings and experience criteria that you/I do when estimating where to place some draws?

# 5- Oops... will hurt ranking. Did see where the Minny girl (there # 1) reached finals of their own tourney last week. Better match shape?

Actually looking at the draws, it seems some girls that played last week (Minny, ASU, others) seem to be a step ahead. It's early and it was tight but that is not a good loss. Oh well, I thought we already crowned the BW PofYr to Widjaja anyway?

St. Mary's is going to be really good... Top 40 probably. Added some real strength it appears.

Upsets: Yep, looks on first blush like Fresno two newbies have some work. Danon Beatty is stepping up though. ASU frosh wins tight sets

At Rivi...

Did you see where Blalock has advanced two impressive rounds at Rivi today (beat a ranked and then an ex ranked)?

CSUN newbie drops first college match to McCall Harkins quickly...

UCLA Pantic loses to NC State # 3...
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #22
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Gouci... you are good

# 2 - You must have missed where Manasse beat Wetmore 2, 2 in August HB tournament... She advanced to semi's today... Maybe the next Bernhard of Big West?

Actually looking at the draws, it seems some girls that played last week (Minny, ASU, others) seem to be a step ahead. It's early and it was tight but that is not a good loss. Oh well, I thought we already crowned the BW PofYr to Widjaja anyway?

St. Mary's is going to be really good... Top 40 probably. Added some real strength it appears.
I haven't seen Manasse play but when you say the "next Bernhard?" are you saying Manasse has a weak 2nd serve?
Actually Bernhard came to UCI highly ranked, #5 in NorCal and lived up to her potential. But then again Melissa Bradford was also ranked #5 in NorCal. I guess the quality of the NorCal pool can vary from year to year.

Yeah Widjaja may be BWPOY but if Grady has a good year the Big West can have 2 participants in the NCAA singles this year.

If St. Mary's added strength is as tough to defeat as it is to pronounce her last name then yeah St. Mary's will be really good. If you know how to say it correctly then please sound it out for me because I don't.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #23
country flag form

Ok, that was a great post. LOL...
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #24
country flag gouci

Here's a quick Bernhard story you might enjoy.
One time at the UCI library Bernhard sat at the computer one seat over from me. This was when she was a freshman and didn't know many people yet. When she left to use the restroom I sat on her seat. I opened up the internet, went to the women's tennis website and clicked on her name. Then I picked up my stuff and sat at a table off to the side where I would have a perfect view of her reaction. When Bernhard got back what was on her monitor staring back at her was her own roster photo.
Bernhard looked shocked. She looked around the room like who did this? Someone actually recognized me? Just messing with a freshman.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #25
country flag gouci

Day 2 upsets

1. Alexandra Poorta (SM) def. Anastas Petukhova (FS)7-6,6-1

2. Bojana Bobusic (Cal) def. Melanie Goria (FS) 6-1,4-6,6-4

3. Abigail Olivier (FS) def. Claire Ilcinkas (Cal) 6-3,6-1

4. Poorta/Soper (SM) def. Ilcinkas/Cossou (Cal) 8-5

5. Baca/Martinez (SAC) def. Ravelojoana/Dillion (Cal) 8-2

Last edited by gouci : Sep 28th, 2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #26
country flag gouci

Day 3 Upsets

1. unranked Alexandra Poorta (SM) def. #7 Marina Cossou (Cal)
This was also after beating #16 Anastas Petukhova.

2. unranked Sarah Landsman (AZ) def. #64 Hannah Grady (LBS)

3. Lais Ogata (Nev) def. Stephany Chang (Cal)

4. Stevens/De Vrye (Nev) def. Ravelojaona/Dillon (Cal)

Last edited by gouci : Oct 9th, 2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #27
country flag gouci

The qualifying draws are out.

Hannah Grady - Long Beach State vs Naoko Ueshima - Georgia

Qualifying singles

Blalock/Wong - Cal Poly vs qualifiers Wlecher/Bigos - Alabama

Qualifying doubles
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #28
country flag gouci

Cal State Fullerton Intercollegiates

The draws for the tournament are out.

CSF draws

It's a great opportunity to gauge how good many of the new players coming into the Big West are.

UCLA singles players from 5-9 are entered.

Form who are your predictions to win Flight A & B singles?

Last edited by gouci : Oct 9th, 2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #29
country flag gouci

Re: Cal State Fullerton Intercollegiates

Form I'll take my guesses 1st.

Flight A finals - Suzie Matzenauer (Cal Poly) beats Alexandra Walters (UCLA)

Flight B finals - Jane Pringle (LMU) beats Nigora Sirijddinova (CSUN) sleeper

Flight A doubles finals - Blalock/Wong (Cal Poly) beats Hammel/Byron (UCI) dark horse

Last edited by gouci : Oct 10th, 2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #30
country flag gouci

Thumbs up St. Mary's Invitational

The draws are out for the St. Mary's Invitational.

Tier 1 singles draw

Among the schools entered are Stanford, Cal, Washington, Boise St., Sac. St. and St. Mary's.
The singles draw is stacked with good new incoming players.

Tier 1 Singles - top players

#62 Jenni Heinser - San Francisco
#77 Carolyn McVeigh - Stanford
#91 Caroline Bailly - Nevada
#122 Jen Yen - Stanford

Stephany Chang - Cal
Courtney Clayton - Stanford
Denise Dy - Washington
Logan Hansen - Stanford
Ana Chkhkivihsvili - St. Mary's
Jana Juricova - Cal
Alexandra Poorta - St. Mary's
Rachael Dillion - Cal

Anyone know how to correctly pronounce Chkhkivihsvili?

Last edited by gouci : Oct 10th, 2008 at 05:25 PM.