Andrew's eyewitness reports & photos (Mon. to Wednesday) + TV-reports (Thurs./Friday) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #1
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Andrew's eyewitness reports & photos (Mon. to Wednesday) + TV-reports (Thurs./Friday)

Quick links (they open in new windows):==========================
INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S OPEN (Eastbourne, England; grass; WTA Tier II)
========================== http://eastbourne.lta.org.uk/
Contents
--------

1. My photos
2. First-round results
3. Qualifying: Third-round eyewitness report: Pironkova v Obziler
4. First-round eyewitness report: Cornet v Mauresmo
5. First-round eyewitness report: Dulko v Garbin
6. First-round eyewitness report: Rezaď v Azarenka
7. Articles

------------
1. My photos
------------

Permission to copy my Eastbourne photos is granted provided that:
(a) no money is exchanged;
(b) they are labelled as "Copyright 2008 Andrew Broad".
Please let me know if you do use them on another website.

I have uploaded all my photos for Monday 16th June 2008, in one big zip-file, to:
http://www.divshare.com/download/5368106-37b

Monday's players:

Gisela Dulko (75 photos)
Tsvetana Pironkova (57)
Alizé Cornet (36)
Tzipora Obziler (17)
Tathiana Garbin (17)
Victoria Azarenka (10)
Aravane Rezaď (6)
Amélie Mauresmo (2)

----------------------
2. First-round results (Monday 16th June)
----------------------

Nice winners:
+ Gisela Dulko [DF] d. Tathiana Garbin, 3-6 6-4 6-2
+ Aravane Rezaď d. VICTORIA AZARENKA [5], 6-2 *0-0 retired (left-knee injury)

Nice losers:
- ALIZÉ CORNET [6] lt. Amélie Mauresmo, 1-6 6-4 5-7
- Shahar Pe'er lt. NADIA PETROVA [8], 2-6 2-6
- Katie O'Brien [WC] lt. Samantha Stosur, 4-6 3-6

-----------------------------------------------------------------
3. Qualifying: Third-round eyewitness report: Pironkova v Obziler
-----------------------------------------------------------------

+ TSVETANA PIRONKOVA [2] d. Tzipora Obziler, 6-4 6-0

Tsvetana is one of the cutest and most beautiful players on the WTA Tour, IMO, with a delectable face and a slim, Hantuchová-esque body. She enjoyed a nice, easy match out on Court 1 as the 35-year-old Obziler wilted in the midday-heat.

Tsvetana was broken in the first game of the match, but won the next four games. She hit some nice shots in that time: in particular, an off-backhand winner onto the sideline.

However, Tsvetana's 4-1* lead quickly evaporated as Obziler broke back in the 7th game (she squandered one break-point by missing a sitter at the net, but Tsvetana hit a forehand long on the second break-point).

So, suddenly it was *4-4, but Tsvetana didn't let that bother her: she held easily for 5-4*, and broke to love to take the first set on an Obziler double fault.

In the second set, Tsvetana broke for *2-0 with a high forehand drive-volley winner, and again for *4-0 with a crosscourt backhand pass-winner. She then held to love for 5-0*.

Obziler serving 0-5: She sliced a backhand wide. 0/15. Tsvetana crosscourt backhand wide. 15/15. Double fault (second serve into the net). 15/30. Tsvetana hit a crosscourt forehand into the corner, forcing Obziler to earth a forehand. 15/40 (MP #1). Tsvetana sealed victory with an off-backhand winner onto the sideline.

That evening, I had just ordered my meal in a French-and-Italian restaurant when someone in trainers and a white tracksuit walked in. As she passed me, I looked up and saw that it was Tsvetana! Unfortunately she ate her meal round a corner from where I was sitting, but she left just after I finished my main course (and I didn't have a starter), so I guess she must be on a Hantuchová-esque diet! ;-)

If I ran that restaurant, I would PAY Tsvetana to eat there! I would let her eat for free, and pay her the price of her meal if she turned up in her tennis-kit (which is all I've ever seen her wearing), or pay her DOUBLE the price of her meal if she came all glammed up! ;-)

---------------------------------------------------
4. First-round eyewitness report: Cornet v Mauresmo

- ALIZÉ CORNET [6] lt. Amélie Mauresmo, 1-6 6-4 5-7

I watched the whole match on Centre Court, thinking it would be fun to watch Mauresmo lose to her cute 18-year-old compatriot and to get that sweet feeling of Schadenfreude again. But despite Mauresmo's deep slump since she had her appendix removed last year, her far greater grass-court experience paid dividends against Cornet, who has very little experience on the surface.

First set
---------

Eastbourne 2007 had been by far Mauresmo's best tournament in the last year (she lost narrowly to Justine Henin in the final), and Cornet was the one who was embarrassed in the first set, which Mauresmo raced through by dominating from the net as Cornet failed to find her passing-shots, or even her feet, as she slipped over twice (and once again in the third set) - perhaps she needs to reconsider her choice of footwear (herringbone is the best sole for grass if I remember rightly what the commentators at Wimbledon 2002 said when Serena Williams was slipping all over Court 2 in her third-round match).

Second set
----------

The match suddenly became interesting with Mauresmo serving at 6-1 3-3. She mishit a wild forehand long, netted a forehand, and Cornet broke for *4-3 with a mishit crosscourt backhand that landed on the sideline, forcing Mauresmo to net a backhand.

Cornet held for 5-3* with the help of a crosscourt forehand winner back behind Mauresmo, who at this stage was hitting a lot of shots long (as in her French Open loss), and had stopped coming to the net after a couple of good passing-shots from Cornet earlier.

Mauresmo resumed her serve & volley tactics to hold for 4-5*, but Cornet quickly served out the set to love: at *5-4 (40/0), Mauresmo tried to chip & charge, but Cornet hit a crosscourt forehand pass-winner to take the second set 6-4.

Third set
---------

The third set contained the best tennis of the match, starting in the first game:

Mauresmo serving 0-0: Cornet hit a backhand pass-winner down the line. 0/15. Mauresmo netted a high forehand volley. 0/30. Ace out wide. 15/30. Service-winner. 30/30. Crosscourt backhand return-winner. 30/40 (BP). Service-winner. 40/40. Mauresmo hit a crosscourt forehand volley-winner into the corner. Ad Mauresmo. Off-forehand return-winner. Deuce #2. Double fault. Ad Cornet (BP #2). Mauresmo saved it with an off-forehand volley-winner. Deuce #3. Service-winner out wide: in the corner. Ad Mauresmo: service-winner out wide.

So a good opportunity for Cornet to break went begging, and I resumed my note-taking a couple of service-holds later:

Cornet serving 1-2: 15/15. A great rally with Mauresmo at the net and Cornet at the baseline ended with Cornet hitting a crosscourt forehand pass-winner. 30/15. Mauresmo came to the net; Cornet hit a deep lob over her head; Mauresmo ran around it and hit a shot between her legs, but Cornet was there with a forehand volley-winner. 40/15. Cornet came to the net, but Mauresmo forced her into error with a lob. 40/30. Cornet forehand long. 40/40. Mauresmo forehand return long. Ad Cornet. She hit a down-the-line backhand wide, and yelled. Deuce #2. Ace down the middle + fist-pump. Ad Cornet. Mauresmo netted a sliced backhand: Cornet held for 2-2*.

In that game, Cornet seemed to be enjoying herself rather too much for a seed in trouble in the first round, judging by the big smile on her face. Soon she would be smiling on the other side of her neck.

The next four games went with serve, the only highlight being a great rally with Cornet serving at 2-3 (40/15) that ended with Mauresmo netting a forehand volley.

Mauresmo serving 4-4: 15/15. Cornet off-backhand return-winner. 15/30. Mauresmo crosscourt forehand virtual winner. 30/30. Mauresmo forced Cornet to hit a defensive forehand lob just wide. 40/30. Double fault (second serve into the net). 40/40. Mauresmo forehand volley-winner. Ad Mauresmo. She came to the net, forcing Cornet to hit a forehand lob just long.

Cornet serving 4-5: A great rally, with Mauresmo at the net and Cornet at the baseline, ended with Mauresmo netting a backhand volley. 15/0. Mauresmo backhand volley-winner down the line. 15/15. Cornet forehand pass virtual winner. 30/15. Mauresmo earthed a backhand drop-volley. 40/15. Cornet netted a backhand. 40/30. Ace out wide.

Mauresmo serving 5-5: Serve out wide + forehand winner down the line. 15/0. Mauresmo crosscourt forehand volley-winner. 30/0. Ace down the middle. 40/0. Double fault (second serve long). 40/15. Service-winner out wide.

Cornet serving 5-6: Mauresmo crosscourt forehand pass-winner. 0/15. Mauresmo came to the net, forcing Cornet to hit a forehand lob just long. 0/30. Mauresmo slipped in the middle of the rally but recovered, and Cornet kept her concentration to eventually hit a backhand drop-volley winner. 15/30. Mauresmo forehand smash-winner. 15/40 (MP #1). Cornet forehand just long. Mauresmo won 6-1 4-6 7-5.

------------------------------------------------
5. First-round eyewitness report: Dulko v Garbin

+ Gisela Dulko [DF] d. Tathiana Garbin, 3-6 6-4 6-2

This was my first time to see Gisela in the flesh, and she looked much better than in most photos from 2008 I've seen her in - as good as in older photos, with a very pretty face, a nice, long ponytail, a sexy backless dress, and nice legs too.

Gisela played very badly in the first set, hitting a lot of chopped forehands, and netting a lot of cheap forehands. That said, it was only decided by a single break - and that after Gisela had led 30/0 at *2-3. She saved two set-points at *2-5, but offered little resistance at 3-5*.

When Gisela went 3-6 *1-3 down after wasting a break-back point, it looked like she was on her way out. But the match turned on a game of 3 deuces at 2-3*, in which Gisela saved a game-point for 2-4 with a crosscourt forehand winner just inside the sideline, and converted her fourth break-point for 3-3. She went on to take the second set with the help of a glorious forehand lob-winner just inside the baseline at 5-4* (30/15*)!

Garbin broke in the first game of the third set, but Gisela reeled off six of the last seven games (including five in a row from 1-2*), with the help of some pinpoint backhand pass-winners down the line.

First set
---------
DULKO _* *___*_ 3
GARBI * * *@* * 6

It was pretty annoying having to take notes using 'G' for Garbin when I wanted to use 'G' for Gisela!

The start of the match was delayed by persistent drizzle; Garbin didn't want to play.

Gisela won the toss and chose to receive, and the match started at 16:33 BST on Court 1.

Garbin serving 0-0: Gisela netted a forehand return. 15/0. Gisela netted a running forehand. 30/0. Gisela netted a forehand return. 40/0. Gisela hit a backhand pass wide.

Gisela serving 0-1: Forehand return just wide. 15/0. Service-winner. 30/0. Forehand return long. 30/15. Garbin forehand just long. 40/15. Backhand return long.

Garbin serving 1-1: Garbin forehand approach just long. 0/15. Gisela dumped a forehand return into the bottom of the net. 15/15. Gisela netted a forehand pass. 30/15. Gisela dumped a backhand return into the bottom of the net. 40/15. Garbin netted a backhand volley. 40/30. Garbin's off-forehand forced Gisela to earth a backhand.

Gisela serving 1-2: Forehand return long. 15/0. Gisela hit a crosscourt forehand dropshot-winner off a netcord from Garbin. 30/0. Gisela crosscourt backhand pass-winner. 40/0. Garbin forehand just wide.

Garbin serving 2-2: Forehand return long. 15/0. Gisela ran down a dropshot and hit a forehand dropshot-winner. 15/15. Gisela netted a forehand return. 30/15. Gisela forehand pass-winner down the line. 30/30. Garbin forehand smash + forehand dropshot-winner. 40/30. Garbin hit a forehand winner down the line, accompanied by a Kuznetsova-esque grunt.

Gisela serving 2-3: Service-winner. 15/0. Garbin, with another Kuznetsova-esque grunt, hit a backhand just wide. 30/0. A hard, deep return forced Gisela to hit a down-the-line forehand just wide (it would have been a winner had it gone in). 30/15. Garbin hit a deep shot + backhand drop-volley winner. 30/30. Gisela forehand just long. 30/40 (BP). Garbin spread Gisela, forcing her to earth a backhand and lose a service-game in which she had led 30/0.

Garbin serving 4-2: Gisela off-forehand wide. 15/0. Gisela backhand long. 30/0. Forehand return wide. 40/0. Gisela netted a forehand return.

Gisela had one of the on-court coaching-sessions allowed at Eastbourne 2008.

Gisela serving 2-5: Double fault (second serve long). 0/15. Gisela came to the net, forcing Garbin to net a forehand. 15/15. Backhand return long. 30/15. Gisela opened up the court, but netted a backhand volley. 30/30. Gisela off-forehand + crosscourt forehand winner. 40/30. Garbin on the fourth stroke hit a crosscourt forehand winner. 40/40. Gisela on the third stroke netted a forehand. Ad Garbin (SP #1). Gisela saved it with an off-forehand volley-winner onto the sideline. Deuce #2. Gisela forehand long. Ad Garbin (SP #2). She netted a backhand return. Deuce #3. Garbin forehand just long. Ad Gisela. Garbin forehand just wide.

Garbin serving 5-3: Garbin came to the net, forcing Gisela to net a forehand pass. 15/0. Gisela crosscourt backhand wide. 30/0. Gisela came to the net, but Garbin hit a crosscourt backhand pass-winner. 40/0 (SP #3). Gisela sprayed a forehand return long and wide. Garbin won the first set 6-3 at 17:02 (29 minutes).

Second set
----------
DULKO __* *@* *@ 6
GARBI @* *___*__ 4

Gisela serving 0-0: Garbin netted a forehand. 15/0. Gisela netted a backhand - possibly distracted by a loudspeaker-announcement. 15/15. Double fault (second serve into the net). 15/30. Gisela netted a forehand. 15/40. Gisela netted a forehand pass to go a set and a break down.

Garbin serving 1-0: Forehand return long. 15/0. Garbin hit a down-the-line forehand wide. 15/15. Service-winner out wide. 30/15. Gisela crosscourt backhand wide. 40/15. Gisela netted a forehand return.

Gisela serving 0-2: Backhand return just long. 15/0. Backhand return long. 30/0. Gisela ran down a dropshot, and three strokes later hit a forehand volley-winner into the open court. 40/0. Gisela hit a smart lob over Garbin's left shoulder, inducing her to hit a backhand smash wide.

They both took on-court coaching-sessions.

Garbin serving 2-1: Gisela's dipping crosscourt backhand pass forced Garbin to net a backhand volley. 0/15. Gisela hit a running forehand pass-winner down the line. 0/30. Ace down the middle. 15/30. Gisela netted a forehand. 30/30. Garbin hit a short-angled crosscourt forehand winner. 40/30. Gisela hit a forehand pass-winner down the line. 40/40. Garbin netted a forehand off a low ball from Gisela. Ad Gisela (BP). Gisela netted a forehand, rolled her head and muttered. Deuce #2. Gisela netted a backhand return. Ad Garbin. Gisela netted a backhand.

Gisela serving 1-3: Service-winner out wide. 15/0. Garbin netted a forehand. 30/0. Garbin backhand approach wide. 40/0. Serve + error-forcing crosscourt backhand. 40/15. Backhand return long. 40/30. Garbin netted a forehand return.

Garbin serving 3-2: Gisela netted a forehand. 15/0. Garbin on the third stroke hit an off-forehand wide. 15/15. Garbin forced a floater, but hit a wild forehand smash long. 15/30. Gisela forehand volley-winner. 15/40 (BP #1). Gisela forehand long. 30/40 (BP #2). Garbin saved it with a down-the-line forehand winner, and slipped to her knees! 40/40. Gisela's backhand pass clipped Garbin's racket. Ad Gisela (BP #3). She netted a cheap forehand return. Deuce #2. Gisela netted a forehand return. Ad Garbin. Gisela hit a crosscourt forehand winner just inside the sideline. Deuce #3. Gisela down-the-line backhand pass-winner. Ad Gisela (BP #4). Garbin hit a forehand long, accompanied by a loud, Kuznetsova-esque grunt.

In the final analysis, that was the key game of the match. Gisela's close winner on Garbin's point for 4-2 probably made the difference between a first-round loss and the quarter-final she went on to reach.

Gisela serving 3-3: Garbin backhand volley-winner down the line. 0/15. Gisela's netcord forced Garbin to net a backhand. 15/15. Gisela hit a lovely crosscourt forehand volley-winner at full stretch. 30/15. Gisela hit a pinpoint backhand pass-winner down the line. 40/15. Garbin forehand long.

Garbin serving 3-4: Double fault (second serve wide). 0/15. Gisela crosscourt forehand + down-the-line forehand winner. 0/30. Forehand return long. 15/30. Gisela forehand long. 30/30. Gisela hit a forehand return long, and said "ah no". 40/30. Gisela chopped a forehand return long.

Gisela serving 4-4: Forehand return long. 15/0. Garbin hit a forehand wide, and smiled. 30/0. Backhand return wide. 40/0. Garbin netted a forehand.

Garbin serving 4-5: Garbin backhand volley-winner down the line. 15/0. Garbin off-backhand wide. 15/15. Gisela forehand pass-winner down the line. 15/30. Garbin went to the net, but Gisela hit a glorious forehand lob-winner just inside the baseline! 15/40 (SP #1). Forehand return long. 30/40 (SP #2). Garbin crosscourt backhand wide. Gisela won the second set 6-4 at 17:45 (second set 43m, match so far 1h12m).

Third set
---------
DULKO _@ @*@*@ 6
GARBI @ @_____ 2

Gisela serving 0-0: Gisela netted a forehand. 0/15. Gisela's short, low-bouncing ball forced Garbin to net a backhand. 15/15. Gisela netted a backhand volley. 15/30. Garbin netted a forehand return. 30/30. Ace down the middle. 40/30. Gisela dumped a backhand into the net. 40/40. Garbin hit a crosscourt backhand just wide, and complained about the call (no Hawk-Eye at Eastbourne). Ad Gisela. Double fault (second serve long). Deuce #2. Gisela netted a backhand volley. Ad Garbin (BP). Gisela dominated the point with her serve and forehand, but netted a forehand dropshot to start the third set a break down.

Garbin serving 1-0: Gisela netted a forehand pass. 15/0. Double fault (second serve long). 15/15. Garbin off-backhand pass-winner. 30/15. Gisela punished a weak approach with a crosscourt backhand pass-winner onto the sideline. 30/30. Gisela hit another crosscourt backhand pass-winner onto the sideline (it looked wide to me). 30/40 (BP #1). Garbin saved it with a forehand dropshot-winner. 40/40. Gisela's low, deep ball forced Garbin to earth a backhand. Ad Gisela (BP #2). With Garbin grunting loudly, Gisela broke back with a forehand smash-winner.

Gisela serving 1-1: Garbin netted a backhand pass. 15/0. Garbin got away with a short, weak ball as Gisela hit a down-the-line forehand long. 15/15. Garbin backhand long. 30/15. Garbin forehand winner down the line. 30/30. Gisela thought she hit a forehand pass-winner down the line, but it was just wide, and she complained about the call. 30/40 (BP). Garbin broke again with a dropshot + forehand volley-winner.

Both players requested to see their coaches.

Garbin serving 2-1: Garbin went to the net; Gisela hit a forehand lob-winner. 0/15. Gisela hit a short-angled crosscourt forehand winner onto the sideline. 0/30. Service-winner (accompanied by a loud grunt). 15/30. A good serve forced a short return, and Garbin hit an off-forehand winner (I think - my notes are inconsistent). 30/30. Gisela crosscourt forehand volley + forehand smash-winner. 30/40 (BP). Garbin's low-bouncing approach forced Gisela to net a backhand pass.

Gisela serving 2-2: Gisela netted a forehand, and Garbin said, "Dio, Dio". 0/15. Garbin down-the-line backhand just wide. 15/15. Gisela went to the net behind a deep approach, and hit a short-angled crosscourt forehand drop-volley winner. 30/15. Service-winner. 40/15. Garbin's crosscourt forehand return forced Gisela to net a forehand. 40/30. Gisela scored the first hold of the third set with a backhand pass-winner down the line.

Garbin serving 2-3: Garbin backhand volley-winner. 15/0. Gisela's dipping crosscourt forehand pass forced Garbin to net a forehand volley. 15/15. Garbin netted a forehand. 15/30. Double fault (second serve just long). Garbin yelled "aieee!" 15/40. Garbin on the third stroke hit a forehand just wide.

Gisela serving 4-2 (new balls): Garbin netted a backhand. 15/0. Service-winner out wide. 30/0. Gisela crosscourt forehand pass-winner. 40/0. A deep return forced Gisela to dump a forehand halfway up the net. 40/15. Another deep return forced Gisela to hit an off-forehand wide of the tramlines. 40/30. Gisela sealed an important hold with a down-the-line backhand pass virtual winner.

Garbin serving 2-5: Quadruple fault (both second serves into the net). 0/30. Gisela hit a crosscourt forehand return-winner. 0/40 (MP #1). Second serve: Garbin on the third stroke hit a forehand wide. Gisela won 3-6 6-4 6-2 at 18:20 (third set 35m, match 1h47m).

--------------------------------------------------
6. First-round eyewitness report: Rezaď v Azarenka
--------------------------------------------------

+ Aravane Rezaď d. VICTORIA AZARENKA [5], 6-2 *0-0 retired (left-knee injury)

I had been waiting for some time for my first chance to watch Azarenka play, but I still don't feel that I really have, as she was *2-5 down and taking a medical time-out when I came onto Centre Court after watching Gisela Dulko's match on Court 1. The marshall told me that Azarenka had had a nasty fall.

Azarenka tried to continue with her left knee heavily strapped, but it was obvious that she was in pain as she hobbled through her service-game to drop the first set. After a set-break in which Azarenka discussed the situation with her coach and the trainer, the umpire announced that Azarenka would not be able to continue.

-----------
7. Articles
-----------

Mauresmo wins all-French battle in Eastbourne (Reuters)
(Writing by Pritha Sarkar, editing by Miles Evans)
>>>
Former Wimbledon-champion Amélie Mauresmo began her grasscourt-season with a stuttering 6-1 4-6 7-5 win over fellow Frenchwoman Alizé Cornet in the first round of the Eastbourne International on Monday.

The former world number-one, now ranked 30th, capitalised on a stream of errors produced by Cornet to win the first set, but then lost her focus in the second.

Sixth seed Cornet squandered two break-points early in the decider, and paid the price when Mauresmo pounced late in the set to wrap up the match.

"The way I played in the first set was great," Mauresmo told reporters. "But I didn't keep that level up, and that put her back into the match, and things got a little bit more even."

The top seeds at the event - Svetlana Kuznetsova, 2007 Wimbledon runner-up Marion Bartoli, Vera Zvonarëva and Agnieszka Radwańska - have byes into the second round.
<<<

Cornet ousted early at Eastbourne (PA SportsTicker)
>>>
This was not the Wimbledon tune-up Alizé Cornet was hoping for.

The sixth seed from France was upset by countrywoman Amélie Mauresmo 6-1 4-6 7-5 in Monday's first-round action at the $600,000 International Women's Open at Eastbourne.

In the final grasscourt-tournament before next week's Major event at the All-England Club, Cornet fell behind quickly and dropped the first set before rallying to even the match. But she could not hold off Mauresmo in the third, and fell to 21:11 on the season.

Last year, Cornet reached the second round at Wimbledon before being ousted in three sets by Japan's Ai Sugiyama.

The unseeded Mauresmo - the 2006 Wimbledon-champion - next faces Australian Samantha Stosur, who defeated England's Katie O'Brien 6-4 6-3 on Monday.

Fifth-seeded Victoria Azarenka of Belarus also made an early exit on Monday, dropping the first set to France's Aravane Rezaď 2-6 before retiring with a left-knee injury.

Rezaď moves into the second round, and will play either Great Britain's Melanie South or a qualifier.

Eighth-seeded Russian Nadia Petrova did not fall victim to an upset, beating Israel's Shahar Pe'er 6-2 6-2. Petrova next will take on China's Na Li, who defeated Australian Casey Dell'Acqua 6-2 6-4.

Unseeded Gisela Dulko of Argentina needed three sets to defeat Italian Tathiana Garbin 3-6 6-4 6-2, and will play either seventh-seeded Czech Nicole Vaidišová or Olga Govortsova of Belarus.

The top seed here is Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova, who is coming off a semi-final finish at the French Open.

Although she hasn't won a title this year, Kuznetsova has reached three finals: at Sydney, Dubai and Indian Wells.

Kuznetsova has also fared well at this Tier II event in the past, winning it on her début-appearance in 2004, and reaching back-to-back semi-finals the next two years.

The top four seeds received first-round byes.

France's Marion Bartoli is the second seed, and is coming off a spectacular grasscourt-season last year, reaching the semi-finals here before making a run to the Wimbledon-final, where she lost to Venus Williams.

Third-seeded Russian Vera Zvonarëva is a former semi-finalist at this event, and No.4 seed Agnieszka Radwańska of Poland reached the fourth round on her Wimbledon-début in 2006.
<<<

Mauresmo holds off sixth-seeded Alizé Cornet (AP)
>>>
Amélie Mauresmo held off a strong challenge to defeat sixth-seeded Alizé Cornet 6-1 4-6 7-5 in an all-French matchup at the Eastbourne International on Monday.

Mauresmo, the 2006 Wimbledon and Australian Open champion, dominated the opening set of the first-round match with some impressive backhand volleys and a succession of errors from Cornet.

But the 18-year old Cornet settled down in the second set. With Mauresmo struggling to put the ball away in many rallies, Cornet broke to lead 4-3.

Mauresmo had to fight off two break-points at the beginning of the third set, but broke for the match when Cornet sent the ball long.

"The way I played in the first set was great," Mauresmo said. "I didn't keep that level up. I started to play a little bit more from the baseline, and not being as aggressive as I was at the beginning. That put her back into the match, and things got a little bit more even."

In other first-round matches, fifth-seeded Victoria Azarenka retired with a left-knee injury after losing the opening set 6-2 against Aravane Rezaď. Also, eighth-seeded Nadia Petrova defeated Shahar Pe'er 6-2 6-2, Gisela Dulko beat Tathiana Garbin 3-6 6-4 6-2, Samantha Stosur ousted Katie O'Brien 6-4 6-3, and Li,Na overcame Casey Dell'Acqua 6-2 6-4.

Svetlana Kuznetsova, Marion Bartoli, Vera Zvonarëva and Agnieszka Radwańska all have a bye into the second round.
<<<

Mauresmo in good grass-court form after Eastbourne win (AFP)
>>>
Former Wimbledon-champion Amélie Mauresmo beat Alizé Cornet 6-1 4-6 7-5 here on Monday to brush aside memories of last year's final-defeat at these WTA Eastbourne Championships.

Mauresmo needed just under two hours to claim victory in the all-French battle against the teenaged rising star.

Aravane Rezaď got another win for the French, reaching the second round as fifth seed Victoria Azarenka of Belarus retired trailing 2-6 0-0.

Australian Samantha Stosur kick-started her grass-court campaign after a second-round loss a week ago in Birmingham as a qualifier, dashing the home hope of Katie O'Brien 6-4 6-3.

But China's Li,Na brushed aside Perth's Casey Dell'Acqua 6-2 6-4 in a split decision on the opening day for Aussie competitors.

Russian eighth seed Nadia Petrova advanced over Shahar Pe'er 6-2 6-2, with the Israeli making an unsuccessful start on grass after losing her last three events of the clay-season.

Mauresmo, a former number-one ranked 30th, is recovering from a dismal clay-court season after winning just one match at Roland Garros before losing to a Spanish qualifier.

"I'm getting used to the grass," said Mauresmo, who lost the Eastbourne-final a year ago to the now-retired Justine Henin, a year after claiming the Wimbledon-trophy.

"It's always a huge change from clay, but I'm adapting pretty well."

Mauresmo, winner of 24 career-titles including Wimbledon and the Australian Open, swept the first set against Cornet: ten years her junior at age 18.

After Cornet struck back by taking the second, Mauresmo overcame her seventh double fault to hold for 5-5 in the final set.

Mauresmo reached 6-5, and put the victory away a game later on the first of two match-points as Nice-born Cornet returned long.

"I thought about the final tiebreaker a year ago against Justine," said Mauresmo. "I didn't want to get into another one today. I did everything I could to avoid it, and it worked out well."

Mauresmo said that facing a compatriot in the opening match was a tough psychological hurdle to overcome.

"We get along well, but always hope to avoid each other until later on. It's always tough to face another French player."

"It felt good," said Mauresmo, who began training on grass last Wednesday. "In the first set, I dominated, but I started playing back on the baseline in the second and not coming forward.

"I lifted my aggression in the third - that's what I have to do on grass as well as other surfaces."

Roland Garros semi-finalist Svetlana Kuznetsova heads the field, with former Wimbledon-winner Lindsay Davenport also entered after winning the event in 2001. Wimbledon-finalist Marion Bartoli of France takes the second seeding.
<<<

Mauresmo Gets Past Cornet; Azarenka Out, Petrova In
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1...ContentID=2346
>>>
Seeded players went one for three at the International Women's Open on Monday, as the first round of the key Wimbledon warm-up event on the green grass of Eastbourne kicked off. Former Wimbledon quarter-finalist Nadia Petrova moved through to the second round, while Victoria Azarenka and Alizé Cornet were both upset in their opening matches.

Sixth seed Cornet was the first of the three seeds to take the court at Devonshire Park, and had arguably the toughest opening match of the entire seeded contingent, facing one of the strongest grass-court players from the last decade: Amélie Mauresmo. Mauresmo has had dry results of late, not getting past the quarter-finals since this very tournament a year ago, when she made it all the way to the final before finishing runner-up to Justine Henin; but her experience on this surface far outweighs her young compatriot's, and it showed, as she defied her recent form in notching a 6-1 4-6 7-5 upset-win.

Mauresmo, a former world No.1 player, has been to the semi-finals or better at Wimbledon four times, including winning the title in 2006 (one of her two career Grand Slam titles, alongside her Australian Open triumph earlier that season); Cornet was contesting just her second grass-court event on the Tour, having reached the second round of Wimbledon last year as a lucky loser.

Eighth seed Petrova fared better than Cornet, cruising to a 6-2 6-2 victory over Shahar Pe'er in her first round match; fifth seed Azarenka tipped the scales in the last match of the day, retiring against Aravane Rezaď due to a left-knee injury after dropping the first set 6-2.

In matches between unseeded players, Li,Na beat Casey Dell'Acqua 6-2 6-4, Gisela Dulko rallied to beat Tathiana Garbin 3-6 6-4 6-2, and Samantha Stosur stopped British wildcard Katie O'Brien 6-4 6-3. Li has had a stop-and-start last 12 months: she missed the second half of 2007 due to a right-rib stress-fracture, made an incredible return to action for the first two months of 2008, going 15:4, and now, after missing nearly four months due to a right-knee injury, she makes a winning return on the grass of Eastbourne.

Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova and Russians Alisa Kleybanova, Ekaterina Makarova and Alla Kudryavtseva all earned main-draw berths with wins in the final round of qualifying.

The first doubles-match of the week was also played, with Jill Craybas and Olga Govortsova upsetting No.4 seeds Bethanie Mattek and Vladimíra Uhlířová 6-4 6-0.
<<<

Mauresmo finds her feet on grass
http://www.lta.org.uk/News/All-news-...feet-on-grass/
>>>
Frenchwoman Amélie Mauresmo was forced to fight for her place in the second round of the International Women's Open in Eastbourne, countrywoman Alizé Cornet extending the 2006 Wimbledon champion to a tough three-set win: 6-1 4-6 7-5.

Mauresmo was pleased with her performance in the opening match, saying, "I made a good start today. My aggression dipped a bit in the second set, but then in the third, I began to play more aggressively again and things evened out."

And she said that playing on grass felt like something of a homecoming. "I really love the grass," she said. "Playing on it feels natural to me, and it suits my game."

One of two British women in the main draw, wild card recipient Katie O'Brien faced a tough contest against serve-volley aficionado Sam Stosur of Australia, falling to the former world No.1 doubles-player 6-4 6-3.

"I'm disappointed with the way I played today," said the 22-year-old. "I just wasn't able to execute my shots in the way that I had planned; she's a tricky player to play."

Tournament No.8 seed Nadia Petrova put in an efficient performance against Shahar Pe'er of Israel 6-2 6-2, and rising Chinese star Na Li won through her first-round meeting against Casey Dell'Acqua of Australia.

Britain's Melanie South headlines day two of the International Women's Open, playing on Centre Court at 11:30am.

The 22-year-old from Surrey said she's planning to consolidate on the gains she's made so far in the grass-court season.

"After some great wins in Edgbaston last week, I'm looking to build on those performances in Eastbourne," said South. "I feel like I'm hitting the ball really well, and I've got a lot of confidence in my game at the moment. I can't wait to get out on court tomorrow, as I love playing on grass in front of a home-crowd."

South is followed onto Centre Court by tournament No.7 seed Nicole Vaidišová, with former Wimbledon-champion Lindsay Davenport third on, No.1 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova fourth on, and British doubles-pairing Elena Baltacha and Naomi Cavaday rounding off the day's Centre Court action.
<<<

Top seeds attend All-Access Hour in Eastbourne
http://www.lta.org.uk/News/All-news-...in-Eastbourne/
>>>
The top four seeds at the International Women's Open in Eastbourne attended the All-Access Hour press-conference at Devonshire Park on Monday. Svetlana Kuznetsova, Marion Bartoli, Vera Zvonarëva and Agnieszka Radwańska were all in a buoyant mood ahead of their opening matches on Wednesday.

Zvonarëva, who will be making her fourth appearance at Devonshire Park this week, said: "Eastbourne is a big event, and there are some big names playing here. I really like this tournament as there is a very relaxing atmosphere, and there are nice [grass] courts. Having played on clay for the last two months, it's important for me to gain grass-court practice before Wimbledon, and this provides me with a great opportunity to do that.

Asked about Eastbourne in 2009, when there will be a combined men's ATP and women's WTA event, Zvonarëva responded: "I think it's great for tennis and great for the fans to see the guys playing alongside the girls. It will be a different atmosphere, and I'm sure all the players will enjoy it."

All four players will begin their Eastbourne-campaigns on Wednesday having received byes in the first round. On Monday, the final round of qualifying was completed while a number of main-draw matches also got under way.
<<<

I don't approve of Eastbourne going 'co-ed' in 2009, because I worry that the BBC will use the men's event as an excuse not to show the women.

The BBC has televised Eastbourne on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday for as long as I can remember, which is why I only attend the tournament from Monday to Wednesday (in years that I decide to go to Eastbourne at all - I only go if I see at least two members of my Eternal Fanship on the entry-list, and 2008 was the first year that I gave into the temptation to do all ten (non-televised) days of Birmingham and Eastbourne).

It will be interesting to see whether the BBC extends its Eastbourne-coverage to all six days once the men are playing - if so, I'll stay at home in the future.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
(see profile or signature for links)
My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchová; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudová; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarëva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišová; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafářová; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybáriková; 13. Sabine Lisicki

Last edited by andrewbroad : Sep 28th, 2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: edit Title; add quick link
andrewbroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #2
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Andrew's eyewitness reports & photos for Tuesday

==========================
Contents
--------

1. My photos
2. First-round results
3. First-round eyewitness report: Pironkova v Wozniacki
4. First-round eyewitness report: Vaidišová v Govortsova
5. Articles
6. International Junior Event

------------
1. My photos
------------

I have uploaded all my photos for Tuesday 17th June 2008, in one big zip-file, to:
http://www.divshare.com/download/5374043-c27

Tuesday's players:

Tsvetana Pironkova (66)
Nicole Vaidišová (62)
Anna Orlik (45)
Shahar Pe'er (36)
Olga Govortsova (36)
Virginia Ruano Pascual (35)
Caroline Wozniacki (34)
Elena Bogdan (24)
Nadia Lalami (21)
Jade Curtis (13)
Ekaterina Makarova (11)
Alizé Cornet (10)
Anna Kournikova posters (5)
Marion Bartoli (4)
Noppawan Lertcheewakarn (4)
Monica Seles posters (3)
Maria Sharapova posters (3)
Vera Dushevina (3)
Heather Watson (3)
Chanda Rubin posters (2)
Daniela Hantuchová poster (1)
Maria Kirilenko poster (1)
Ana Ivanović poster (1)
Jana Novotná poster (1)
Amanda Coetzer poster (1)
Séverine Brémond poster (1)
Viktoriya Kutuzova poster (1)
Ashley Harkleroad poster (1)
Jennifer Capriati poster (1)
Elena Dementieva poster (1)
Jelena Janković poster (1)
Carling Bassett poster (1)
Virginia Wade poster (1)
Martina Hingis poster (1)
Mary Joe Fernández poster (1)
Ai Sugiyama poster (1)
Bethanie Mattek poster (1)
Alexandra Stevenson poster (1)
Venus Williams poster (1)
Mirjana Lučić poster (1)
Rennae Stubbs (1)
Kveta Peschke (1)
Stephanie Cornish (1)
Kim Clijsters poster (1)

----------------------
2. First-round results (Tuesday 17th June)
----------------------

Nice winners, nice losers:
- NICOLE VAIDIŠOVÁ [7,EF] lt. Olga Govortsova, 2-6 4-6
- Tsvetana Pironkova [Q,DF] lt. Caroline Wozniacki, 3-6 2-6

-------------------------------------------------------
3. First-round eyewitness report: Pironkova v Wozniacki

- Tsvetana Pironkova [Q,DF] lt. Caroline Wozniacki, 3-6 2-6

As you can see from her descriptor, I have promoted Tsvetana to my demi-fanship. I just suddenly decided that at 2-2 in the first set, when I thought to myself: "She looks delectable, and I search for her photos every day she plays, so why not?"

Passion alone is sufficient for me to be a demi-fan, though I do think Tsvetana has talent too, as Venus Williams (Australian Open 2006) and Ana Ivanović (Rome 2008) would attest.

It's a shame Tsvetana could not have crowned her promotion with a win, but Wozniacki (the Wimbledon 2006 Girls' Singles champion) was too solid and too good, although Tsvetana seemed upset that she made some unforced errors at key points, judging by her reaction at 3-6 *2-4 (15/30).

First set
---------
PIRONKOVA __@* *___ 3
WOZNIACKI *@__* *@* 6

The match was first on Court 1, with an advertised start-time of 11:30 BST. I didn't record the exact start-time, so I'll assume that the pre-match routine took the typical 7 minutes, and that it therefore started at 11:37.

Wozniacki held serve after a long game of deuces, then broke for 2-0. Tsvetana broke back despite letting 0/40 become 40/40, and emitted a cute yell.

Tsvetana hit a pinpoint backhand winner down the line at *1-2 (30/15), and held to 15. Wozniacki held for 3-2*, but not before I suddenly decided to add Tsvetana to my demi-fanship!

So I then started to make point-by-point notes:

Tsvetana serving 2-3: Wozniacki error. 15/0. Wozniacki hit an off-backhand winner onto the sideline, and said "c'mon". 15/15. Crosscourt forehand return wide. 30/15. Wozniacki netted a backhand. 40/15. Wozniacki hit an error-forcing lob-return.

Wozniacki serving 3-3: Wozniacki's crosscourt backhand forced a short ball from Tsvetana, which Wozniacki dispatched with an off-backhand winner. 15/0. Tsvetana dumped a backhand return into the net. 30/0. Service-winner down the middle. 40/0. And again.

Tsvetana serving 3-4: Serve out wide + crosscourt backhand winner. 15/0. Wozniacki's deep off-forehand forced Tsvetana to net a backhand. 15/15. Wozniacki spread Tsvetana, forcing her to hit a forehand just wide. 15/30. Wozniacki forehand just long. 30/30. Wozniacki forehand long. 40/30. Tsvetana down-the-line backhand wide. 40/40. Tsvetana on the third stroke netted a forehand. Ad Wozniacki (BP). Tsvetana hit a backhand long to give Wozniacki the crucial break of the first set.

Wozniacki serving 5-3: Tsvetana's low-bouncing ball forced Wozniacki to scoop a forehand long. 0/15. Tsvetana chopped a forehand return long. 15/15. Wozniacki forehand long. 15/30. Wozniacki's depth forced Tsvetana to hit a backhand wide. 30/30. Serve out wide + forehand winner down the line + "c'mon" + fist-pump. 40/30 (SP #1). Tsvetana hit a forehand return just wide. Wozniacki won the first set 6-3 at 12:19 (42 minutes).

Second set
----------
PIRONKOVA *___*___ 2
WOZNIACKI _*@* *@* 6

Tsvetana serving 0-0: Tsvetana crosscourt backhand just wide. 0/15. Tsvetana's deep, wide crosscourt forehand forced Wozniacki to net a forehand. 15/15. Forehand return just long. 30/15. Wozniacki forehand long. 40/15. Wozniacki hit a crosscourt backhand winner into the corner. 40/30. Tsvetana backhand long. 40/40. Wozniacki netted a forehand. Ad Tsvetana. Serve out wide + pinpoint backhand winner down the line.

Always a relief to pull out a service-game like that when you've been pegged back from 40/15.

Wozniacki serving 0-1: Serve out wide + error-forcing crosscourt backhand. 15/0. Wozniacki off-backhand winner just inside the sideline. 30/0. Service-winner out wide. 40/0. Serve + crosscourt backhand winner.

Tsvetana serving 1-1: Wozniacki hit a crosscourt forehand just inside the sideline, forcing Tsvetana to hit a forehand lob wide. 0/15. Tsvetana went for a forehand winner down the line, but it was just wide. 0/30. A long rally culminated with Wozniacki hitting a crosscourt forehand onto the sideline, forcing Tsvetana to hit a forehand long. 0/40 (BP #1). Tsvetana's short ball forced Wozniacki to net a forehand and say "aya". 15/40 (BP #2). Wozniacki's hard backhand down the line forced Tsvetana to earth a forehand. Wozniacki celebrated the break with a fist-pump.

Wozniacki serving 2-1: Wozniacki netted a forehand smash. 0/15. Tsvetana forehand lob long. 15/15. Wozniacki backhand long. 15/30. Tsvetana netted a forehand. 30/30. Wozniacki's depth forced Tsvetana to hit a backhand wide. 40/30. Tsvetana's chopped forehand return did not go unpunished, as Wozniacki hit a forehand volley-winner.

Tsvetana serving 1-3: Wozniacki forehand long. 15/0. Wozniacki crosscourt forehand winner just inside the sideline. 15/15. Tsvetana down-the-line backhand winner low over the net + "aide" + fist-pump. 30/15. Wozniacki backhand return-winner down the line. 30/30. Tsvetana played a good spreading rally, sealed with a high backhand volley-winner crosscourt. 40/30. Wozniacki opened up the court with a crosscourt forehand, but hit a down-the-line forehand long.

Wozniacki had an on-court coaching-session, as allowed at Eastbourne 2008.

Wozniacki serving 3-2: Tsvetana's forehand return clipped the netcord, and dropped dead for a winner. 0/15. Tsvetana forehand long. 15/15. Wozniacki on the third stroke hit a crosscourt backhand wide, and yelled. 15/30. Wozniacki pounced on a high ball to hit a backhand winner down the line. 30/30. An intriguing rally, in which Tsvetana retrieved a very low backhand, ended with Wozniacki hitting an off-forehand volley-winner onto the sideline. 40/30. Tsvetana blasted an off-forehand return wide of the tramlines.

Tsvetana serving 2-4: Wozniacki hit a high off-forehand volley-winner just inside the sideline. 0/15. Wozniacki down-the-line backhand return just long/wide. 15/15. Tsvetana hit a forehand long, doubled over and yelled - she seemed quite upset. 15/30. Wozniacki crosscourt backhand + crosscourt forehand winner just inside the sideline + fist-pump + "c'mon". 15/40. Wozniacki took the double break as she forced Tsvetana to hit a backhand wide.

Wozniacki serving 5-2: Serve out wide + crosscourt backhand winner. 15/0. Forehand return just long. 30/0. Wozniacki reached match-point with a high backhand drive-volley winner. 40/0 (MP #1). Wozniacki's deep down-the-line forehand forced Tsvetana to hit a crosscourt backhand just wide. Wozniacki won 6-3 6-2 at 12:52 (second set 33m, match 1h15m).

--------------------------------------------------------
4. First-round eyewitness report: Vaidišová v Govortsova
--------------------------------------------------------

- NICOLE VAIDIŠOVÁ [7,EF] lt. Olga Govortsova, 2-6 4-6

Another disappointing loss for Nicole, as her groundstrokes (particularly her forehand) misfired again and again, and she was unhappy with her serve. At least she played twice as well as when she lost to Bethanie Mattek at Birmingham, and judging by my photos, she looked pretty upset when she lost, rather than "happy because she's in love" (as Iveta Benešová had commented at the French Open).

Her fellow 19-year-old, Govortsova, put in an impressive performance, but the standard of women's tennis is so high these days that those in a slump can get left behind very quickly. Govortsova seemed very confident throughout the match, knowing that Nicole was slumping, and that the pressure was on Nicole as the higher-ranked player.

An exchange of three breaks at the start of the match left Nicole behind, though she had her chance to get back into the first set with a break-point at 2-3*. After failing to convert it, she was broken again, and ended up losing the set 6-2.

Nicole served better in the second set, but she couldn't put any pressure on Govortsova's serve - just one deuce (in the second game) and one 0/30 (in the eighth game). Nicole had one bad service-game at 4-4, and Govortsova had no problems serving out to love for the match.

Govortsova looked like a monster at the time, but now that I've processed my photos, I realise that she actually looked very nice: tall, blonde, and pretty in pink.

My full match-report, with a blow-by-blow description of every point, is at:
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ten...ourne2008.html

-----------
5. Articles
-----------

First Round Wraps Up; Petrova First Into QFs
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1...ContentID=2347
>>>
The first round came to a close and the second round kicked off on the second day of play at the International Women's Open on Tuesday. The seeds went 1:1, with Nicole Vaidišová falling but Nadia Petrova winning a three-setter.

Vaidišová, seeded No.7 and coming off a quarter-final finish in her first grass-court event of the year at Birmingham, was ousted by Olga Govortsova in straight sets: 6-2 6-4. While she won two rounds to get to where she did in Birmingham, Vaidišová had suffered through a six-match losing-streak before arriving there, and has now lost eight of her last 10 matches.

With her win over the No.18-ranked Vaidišová, Govortsova now has four top-twenty wins in her young career, having beaten Shahar Pe'er at Stanford last summer and at Memphis in February, and Marion Bartoli at Amelia Island in April.

Winners in the other five first-round matches were Sybille Bammer, Virginie Razzano, Caroline Wozniacki, and qualifiers Alisa Kleybanova and Ekaterina Makarova.

Petrova, seeded No.8 at the Tier II event, became the first player to reach the quarter-finals, beating newly-returned Li,Na of China in a tight three-setter: 6-2 6-7(5) 6-3. Petrova actually had a chance to serve out the match at 6-2 5-4, and even led 3/0 in the tiebreak before Li rallied to take the second set, but the Russian regrouped to take the third set and improve to 5:0 lifetime against the Chinese, who hadn't played since mid-February, and has fallen to No.2 in the Chinese rankings: after Yan,Zi (Li is ranked No.48 compared to Yan's No.43).

Two of the world's best doubles-teams were also in action, and both advanced to the quarter-finals. Top seeds Cara Black and Liezel Huber won their 11th straight grass-court match - a streak that includes title-runs at Wimbledon last year and Birmingham last week - beating Edina Gallovits and Monica Niculescu 6-2 6-0. Second seeds Kveta Peschke and Rennae Stubbs beat the wildcard team of Amélie Mauresmo and Svetlana Kuznetsova almost as handily: 6-1 6-2.
<<<

Petrova prevails, South stumbles
http://www.lta.org.uk/News/All-news-...outh-stumbles/
>>>
Nadia Petrova progressed to the second round of the International Women's Open in Eastbourne, defeating Na Li of China 6-2 6-7(5) 6-3.

The No.8 seed, Petrova led 4-0 in the first set before Li was able to claim a game, and she was allowed just one more in the opener, Petrova capturing the set in less than half an hour.

Li put on the pressure in the second set, breaking to lead 4-1. But the Russian world No.22 broke back in the seventh game of the set, then served to level proceedings at 4-4. Ultimately, the set was decided in a tiebreak, which Li claimed 7/5 after trailing 0/2.

The third set was a hard-fought affair, with Petrova breaking in the eighth game, and serving out the match in one hour and 55 minutes.

British No.3 Melanie South of Surrey put up an impressive fight, but was outclassed by Alisa Kleybanova of Russia 6-4 6-4.

South, who reached the quarter-finals of the DFS Classic in Birmingham last week, and sits 92 places below Kleybanova in the world-rankings, had her opportunities in the match, and said she was happy with her preparations for Wimbledon.

"Alisa played very well, and I was always under pressure," said world No.139 South. "I'll take a lot of confidence with me to Wimbledon, where I'll look to be aggressive on court and really go for it."

Olga Govortsova of Belarus upset No.7 seed Nicole Vaidišová 6-2 6-4 in their first-round match. The 19-year-old from Belarus took one hour and four minutes to defeat the world No.18, getting 75% of her first serves in, and winning 69% of points off the first serve.

Vaidišová was disappointed with her performance following her quarter-final appearance at the DFS Classic in Birmingham. "I had a pretty good week last week, so I expected a little more from myself today," said the 20-year-old from the Czech Republic. "It wasn't my day today. Everything felt flat. My serve wasn't working and that is a major part of my game, and she used her opportunities more."

Top-seeded doubles pairing Cara Black and Liezel Huber progressed to the second round of the doubles in straightforward fashion with a 6-2 6-0 victory over Edina Gallovits and Monica Niculescu of Romania. Progress was tougher-going for last year's doubles champions Lisa Raymond and Samantha Stosur who were forced to a Super Tiebreak in their first round against Gisela Dulko and Janette Husárová, eventually running out the winners 6-1 3-6 [10/6].

World No.26 Lindsay Davenport withdrew from the tournament with a right-knee injury sustained in practice the Saturday before the tournament.

"I am very disappointed to be unable to compete here," said the former world No.1. "I haven't played since April, and I came to Eastbourne excited to play. I'm not 100% sure what's wrong with my knee, so I'm going to have an MRI. I look forward to it getting better and resting - and, of course, being able to play next week at Wimbledon."

Lucky loser Kaia Kanepi of Estonia benefitted from Davenport's withdrawal, but her stay in the draw was short-lived, Virginie Razzano of France defeating her 6-3 6-4.

No.2 seed Marion Bartoli opens Centre Court proceedings on Day 3 of the International Women's Open, taking on Sybille Bammer. They are followed by top-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova taking on Caroline Wozniacki, with Amélie Mauresmo facing Sam Stosur in the third match on Centre Court. The 'Twilight Tennis' match (not before 6pm) sees Razzano take on No.4 seed Agnieszka Radwańska.
<<<

Tour Stars Contemplate Clay-Grass Transition
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1...ContentID=2350
>>>
At one of the UK's most well-known warm-up tournaments prior to Wimbledon, some of the world's best players are seriously having to rethink their game as the tricky grass-surface tries to get the better of them.

Adapting to new surfaces is often a battle of mind over matter for many players, and with only four tournaments a year held on grass, many find the transition onto the fast surface difficult. With the red clay of the French Open still fresh in the players' minds, adopting different techniques to their already complex game is no mean feat.

"It's hard to move from clay to grass - from very slow to the fastest court," says Svetlana Kuznetsova, currently ranked No.4 on the WTA Tour. "But for me, it's about controlling movement: you cannot slide on grass, so there is more bending involved."

Kuznetsova, who reached the semi-finals at Roland Garros in May, is not alone when it comes to trying to adapt to a different type of game on grass.

Vera Zvonarëva, seeded third at the International Women's Open in Eastbourne and ranked No.13 in the world, says: "Most of the players are used to playing on hardcourts - it's a different game. It's hard to produce my best tennis when I'm not used to playing on this surface."

So what can players do to adjust to the widely-feared grass-court? According to Kuznetsova, it's a matter of facing up to her biggest opponent: her mind.

"Grass has never been my favourite surface - I have to change myself for the game. On clay, you can put more spin on the ball - but I'm improving. I think everyone's game is different on grass, and we just have to adapt some things. Every year, I push myself a little more and try new things, but my biggest opponent is my mind. You can train your mind, but it is difficult for me as I have many ups and downs."

With just under a week to go until Wimbledon begins, the International Women's Open is seen as a practice-run for the UK-based Grand Slam. Zvonarëva takes the tournament as seriously as any other: "Every tournament I compete in is important. Eastbourne is a big event. Every time I go on court, I want to win; there are nice courts and it has a nice, peaceful feel to it."

But there is no forgetting the pending Championships at the end of June: "Eastbourne is an important part of my preparation - it's a good opportunity to play some matches on grass before Wimbledon."

This time next year, however, it will be all-change for the Eastbourne-tournament because, for the first time ever, it will become a mixed event.

"It's great news for tennis, and great for the fans to see men's tennis," says Zvonarëva. "It's difficult, as we don't have that many mixed events at the moment."

The arrival of men at Devonshire Park will definitely highlight the British tennis-tournament, adding an extra opportunity for the men to get used to the grass-court before Wimbledon starts.

Agnieszka Radwańska, who sits at No.14 in the world, does not seem put off by the grass-court's fast reputation: "Australia went very well for me – reaching my first quarter-final in a Grand Slam - and I'm very much looking forward to playing on grass."

She goes on to say: "There are many good players here at Eastbourne, and many good matches to be played in the lead up to Wimbledon. Being the only Polish woman to reach the top thirty, it's going to be tough, but I will push my way through."

So who do the players tip for the top on grass this year? According to Kuznetsova, an old Wimbledon favourite is one to watch: "I believe Amélie [Mauresmo] will play well on grass - she's improving every year, and having her Wimbledon-title will give her confidence."
<<<

-----------------------------
6. International Junior Event (in new tennis we trust)

After Nicole Vaidišová's loss, the order of play was pretty boring as far as the WTA tournament was concerned, so I turned my attention to the junior-tournament being played on Courts 3, 4 and 5, and was pleasantly surprised: junior-tennis had become very anonymous to me due to the high turnover of players in the last couple of years, but on that Tuesday, I discovered three real cuties (Nadia Lalami, Elena Bogdan and Anna Orlik) and an unlisted Selesian! (Noppawan Lertcheewakarn).

The International Junior Event was structured as two round-robin groups, each consisting of six players:
Group 1: Noppawan Lertcheewakarn, Anna Orlik, Stephanie Cornish, Coco Vandeweghe, Heather Watson, Jade Curtis
Group 2: Elena Bogdan, Jade Windley, Nadia Lalami, Laura Robson, Vicky Brook, Jessy Rompies

I didn't pay any attention to Laura Robson: the 14-year-old who went on to win not only this event (beating Orlik in the final), but the Girls' Singles title at Wimbledon! (beating Lertcheewakarn in the final).

Group 2: Bogdan v Lalami
------------------------

Nice winner, nice loser:
+ Elena Bogdan d. Nadia Lalami, 6-4 7-5

When I looked at Court 3, the first thing that caught my eye was a cute, voluptuous girl in a red dress, with a passing resemblance to Ana Ivanović, so I whipped out my camera and took several photos of Nadia Lalami.

Then I noticed that her opponent, Elena Bogdan, was also cute: very thin, with a pretty, Romanian face.

Bogdan led 6-4 4-1*, but Lalami broke back for *3-4, prompting Bogdan to throw her racket to the ground twice in front of an umpire who looked and sounded a lot like the actor Christopher Lee, but who refrained from giving her a code-violation.

Lalami is a right-hander who throws in the occasional left-handed forehand ŕ la Maria Sharapova. Whereas Bogdan is left-handed. Lalami has powerful groundstrokes (accompanied by grunts), but was more erratic than Bogdan: Lalami was the one going for her shots at *5-6 in the second, but it was Bogdan who sealed victory with a forehand smash-winner (not to be outdone by Lalami's earlier smash-winner).

They shook hands at the net (which I caught on camera) and then kissed (which I didn't catch). Lalami was smiling despite the loss.

It was a very impressive performance from both girls, and if any WTA Tour players saw it, they should be pretty worried about the quality of opponents they'll be up against in the not-too-distant future.

That said, both girls lost to Britons in their other Tuesday-matches: Bogdan 4-6 3-6 to Jade Windley, Lalami 1-6 2-6 to Laura Robson.

Group 1: Curtis v Vandeweghe
----------------------------

+ Jade Curtis d. Coco Vandeweghe, 6-2 4-6 [13/11]

I watched the first seven games of this match (Curtis led 5-2) very casually as I was eating my lunch.

I already knew Jade Curtis had a pretty face, but it was quite a shock to see how short she actually is: I was sitting down, she was standing up, and my head was almost at the same level as hers!

Obviously this restricts her power, particularly on her serve, and the calibre of play seemed much lower than in Bogdan v Lalami.

I didn't pay much attention to Vandeweghe, who went on to win the Girls' Singles title at the US Open 2008.

Curtis also beat Heather Watson 7-6 (7/1) 7-5 on Tuesday.

Group 1: Orlik v Watson
-----------------------

- Anna Orlik lt. Heather Watson, 2-6 4-6

Orlik didn't impress me in tennis-terms, losing to a British junior, but she has an extremely pretty face, the same birthday as Anna Chakvetadze, and I went mad taking photos of her! She looks rather teary in the last photo I took: just before she walked right past me outside Court 4.

It was a delightful surprise to learn that Orlik went on to reach the final (although she lost there to Laura Robson) - I've no idea how she managed to overturn the 0:2 match-record she had when I left (she also lost 5-7 6-4 [8/10] to Noppawan Lertcheewakarn on Tuesday).

Group 1: Lertcheewakarn v Cornish
---------------------------------

- Noppawan Lertcheewakarn [s] lt. Stephanie Cornish, 4-6 3-6

I only saw the last game of this match, but it was enough to notice that Lertcheewakarn is a Selesian! (two hands both sides).

Of course, I got to see a lot more of Lertcheewakarn in the Wimbledon Girls' Singles final (which she lost to Laura Robson).

Article
-------

Juniors compete alongside pros at Devonshire Park
http://www.lta.org.uk/News/All-news-...vonshire-Park/
>>>
Playing alongside the professionals at the International Women's Open, an invitational junior-event also got under way on Tuesday. With girls from around the world competing against some of the best British players, the quality of tennis is extremely high.

The International Junior Event consists of two groups of six girls competing in a round-robin format on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. On Friday, the winner of each group will meet to decide the title, while all the other competitors play-off for places against their opposite number.

On Tuesday, Jade Curtis got off to a great start in Group 1 by winning her two matches against Coco Vandeweghe and Heather Watson. Meanwhile, Laura Robson also got off to a flying start in Group 2 with victories over Nadia Lalami and Jessy Rompies. Curtis and Robson are Britain's top two ranked juniors, and would meet in Friday's final if they both topped their groups.

Nigel Sears, Head Women's Coach at the LTA, said: "This event provides a great opportunity for the girls to play on excellent grass-courts alongside some of the world's best players. It's also ideal preparation for The Junior Championships at Wimbledon, which get under way in a couple of weeks, where the players will be playing in front of large spectator-galleries."
<<<

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchová; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudová; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarëva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišová; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafářová; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybáriková; 13. Sabine Lisicki
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM   #3
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

Andrew's eyewitness reports & photos for Wednesday

Contents
--------

1. My photos
2. Second-round results
3. Second-round eyewitness report: Bartoli v Bammer
4. Second-round eyewitness report: Zvonarëva v Makarova
5. Second-round eyewitness report: Dulko v Govortsova
6. Articles
7. Eastbourne Cup
8. International Junior Event

------------
1. My photos
------------

I have uploaded all my photos for Wednesday 18th June 2008, in one big zip-file, to:
http://www.divshare.com/download/5412913-5b7

Wednesday's players:

Vera Zvonarëva (52 photos)
Gisela Dulko (39)
Marion Bartoli (39)
Alizé Cornet (31)
Olga Govortsova (25)
Ioana Raluca Olaru (19)
Ekaterina Makarova (19)
Elena Bogdan (18)
Anna Orlik (16)
Vera Dushevina (10)
Urszula Radwańska (9)
Sybille Bammer (7)
Caroline Wozniacki (3)
Nadia Lalami (1)
Svetlana Kuznetsova (1)
Heather Watson (1)

-----------------------
2. Second-round results (Wednesday 18th June)
-----------------------

Nice winner, nice loser:
+ Gisela Dulko [DF] d. Olga Govortsova, 6-1 6-7 (3/7) 6-2

What rocked:
+ MARION BARTOLI [2,DF,S] d. Sybille Bammer, 6-3 6-0
+ Caroline Wozniacki d. SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA [1], 6-2 6-2

I watched the last two games of Wozniacki v Kuznetsova from the high walkway to the top of the Centre Court stadium. I wish I could have seen more of this sweet upset, but I had to get my lunch between Marion's match and Vera's.

What sucked:
- VERA ZVONARËVA [3,EF] lt. Ekaterina Makarova [Q], 3-6 3-6
- Aravane Rezaď lt. Alisa Kleybanova [Q], 3-6 7-5 3-6

3. Second-round eyewitness report: Bartoli v Bammer

+ MARION BARTOLI [2,DF,S] d. Sybille Bammer, 6-3 6-0

After Marion's poor results since reaching the Wimbledon 2007 final, and her wrist-injury-induced capitulation at Birmingham the previous week, she was back with a vengeance here, hitting her Selesian groundstrokes as sweetly as I've ever seen her hit them.

Marion's brilliant form and a strong wind were too much for the left-handed Bammer to handle; I thought she did well to win even 3 games in these circumstances (she saved a set-point at *2-5 (30/40)). It doesn't help that Bammer has a high service-toss, which swirls around in the wind, and she struggled particularly when hitting into the wind, when her high toss kept blowing back on her.

First set
---------
BARTOL *@* * * * 6
BAMMER ___* * *_ 3

The match was first on Centre Court, and started at 11:37 BST.

Marion serving 0-0: Bammer forehand wide. 15/0. Marion painted the sideline with a short-angled crosscourt backhand winner. 30/0. Marion on the third stroke hit a backhand long. 30/15. There was a big gust of wind, and Bammer hit a crosscourt forehand return wide. 40/15. Marion's deep crosscourt backhand forced Bammer to net a backhand.

Bammer serving 0-1 (into the wind): Bammer went to the net, but Marion's crosscourt backhand forced her to hit a backhand volley long. 0/15. Marion crosscourt backhand winner. 0/30. The wind made Bammer's backhand short, giving Marion a crosscourt backhand winner. 0/40 (BP #1). Marion netted a crosscourt backhand return. 15/40 (BP #2). Marion's depth forced Bammer to net a forehand, giving Marion the first break.

The balls from Bammer are sitting up nicely for Marion in the wind.

Marion serving 2-0: Marion crosscourt backhand winner. 15/0. Bammer netted a forehand return. 30/0. Marion went to the net, forcing Bammer on the fourth stroke to hit a crosscourt backhand wide. 40/0. Ace out wide.

Bammer serving 0-3: Off-forehand return wide. 15/0. Bammer netted a forehand. 15/15. Bammer crosscourt backhand winner. 30/15. Marion on the fourth stroke hit a backhand winner down the line. 30/30. Marion mishit an off-forehand return wide. 40/30. Marion hit a forehand winner down Bammer's backhand-sideline. 40/40. Bammer crosscourt backhand winner. Ad Bammer. Marion hit a short-angled crosscourt forehand winner. Deuce #2. Marion netted a backhand return. Ad Bammer. Marion netted a forehand volley.

Marion serving 3-1: Service-winner. 15/0. Marion forced a short ball from Bammer, and hit a backhand winner down the line. 30/0. Bammer ran down a dropshot, and hit a forehand winner down the line. 30/15. Marion's crosscourt forehand clipped the netcord and fell wide. 30/30. Marion hit a deep, hard crosscourt backhand into the corner, forcing Bammer to net a forehand. 40/30. Serve out wide forced a short return, which Marion dispatched with a crosscourt forehand winner.

Bammer serving 1-4: Service-winner. 15/0. Bammer mishit a crosscourt forehand wide. 15/15. Bammer crosscourt forehand drop-volley winner. 30/15. Bammer off-forehand winner. 40/15. Bammer backhand long. 40/30. Bammer netcord + down-the-line forehand pass-winner.

Marion serving 4-2: A meaty rally ended with Bammer hitting a crosscourt forehand winner just inside the sideline. 0/15. A bad bounce forced Marion to earth a forehand. 15/15. Bammer went to the net, and hit a crosscourt forehand winner. 15/30. Marion's hard crosscourt backhand forced Bammer to net a forehand. 30/30. Bammer forehand wide. 40/30. Bammer down-the-line forehand just long.

Bammer serving 2-5: Marion hit a crosscourt backhand pass-winner low over the net. 0/15. Marion forehand long. 0/30. Ace down the middle. 15/30. Marion crosscourt backhand wide. 30/30. Marion crosscourt forehand netcord return-winner. 30/40 (SP #1). Marion mishit a backhand return into the net. 40/40. Service-winner. Ad Bammer. Marion netted a forehand.

Marion serving 5-3: Marion netted a backhand. 0/15. Bammer's depth forced Marion to net a forehand. 0/30. A gust of wind was soon followed by a service-winner (Bammer mishit a lob-return straight up). 15/30. Serve + down-the-line backhand winner. 30/30. Marion hit a scorching backhand winner down the line. 40/30 (SP #2). Marion dominated the rally, but Bammer got lucky with a forehand netcord-winner. 40/40. Marion's depth forced Bammer to net a forehand. Ad Marion (SP #3). There was a gust of wind, and Bammer hit a forehand just long. Marion won the first set 6-3 at 12:12 (35 minutes).

Second set
----------
BARTOL @*@*@* 6
BAMMER ______ 0

Bammer serving 0-0: Marion hit a deceptive backhand dropshot-winner. 0/15. Bammer on the third stroke went for a down-the-line forehand winner, but it was just long. 0/30. Bammer again hit a forehand long on the third stroke. 0/40. The wind got hold of Marion's crosscourt backhand return, dropping it short for a winner.

Marion serving 1-0: Bammer's deep return forced Marion to net a forehand. 0/15. Marion on the third stroke hit a down-the-line backhand wide. 0/30. Marion hit a short-angled crosscourt backhand winner. 15/30. Bammer slapped a forehand return into the net. 30/30. Marion hit a crosscourt forehand winner off a short return. 40/30. Bammer forehand long.

Bammer serving 0-2: Marion's backhand return clipped the netcord and fell back on her side. 15/0. Marion crosscourt backhand return-winner. 15/15. Marion forehand long. 30/15. Marion's deep ball on the baseline forced Bammer to net a forehand. 30/30. A gust of wind, and Bammer on the third stroke netted a backhand. 30/40. Double fault (second serve just long).

Marion serving 3-0: It was very windy, and Bammer netted a backhand return. 15/0. Bammer painted the sideline with a crosscourt forehand return-winner. 15/15. Serve + off-backhand winner. 30/15. Serve + crosscourt forehand winner off a very short return. 40/15. Bammer blasted a backhand return long.

Bammer serving 0-4: Bammer sliced a backhand long. 0/15. Marion's depth and the wind forced Bammer to net a forehand. 0/30. Bammer hit an error-forcing forehand down the line. 15/30. Bammer on the third stroke mishit a forehand long. 15/40. Bammer backhand long.

Marion serving 5-0: Bammer's deep return forced Marion to net a backhand. 0/15. Service-winner out wide. 15/15. Backhand return long. 30/15. Double fault (second serve into the net). Marion picked up something that had blown onto court. 30/30. Bammer dumped a forehand halfway up the net. 40/30 (MP #1). Marion on the third stroke hit a forehand just inside the baseline, forcing Bammer to hit a forehand lob just long. Marion won 6-3 6-0 at 12:36 (second set 24m, match 59m).

Marion: "Maybe it's the thought of going back again to Wimbledon next week that has inspired me. I played really great."

I found Marion hitting on a practice-court just eight minutes after she walked off Centre Court!

4. Second-round eyewitness report: Zvonarëva v Makarova

- VERA ZVONARËVA [3,EF] lt. Ekaterina Makarova [Q], 3-6 3-6

Vera was supposed to be my #1 attraction at this tournament. I hadn't seen her play since the Australian Open 2007, due to a combination of her missing my key tournaments through injury last year, and the BBC ignoring her in the first two Majors of 2008.

But I didn't even get to see her practise or around the grounds at Eastbourne 2008, and then when I finally did see her - from a great distance, as I was in Row M of Centre Court - she turned in the worst performance I've ever seen from her.

Vera had pulled out of Birmingham with a cold, so this was her first match on grass since her spectacular victory in the Wimbledon 2006 Mixed Doubles final. And she definitely looked out of sorts, spraying errors left, right and centre, and not showing her usual amazing retrieval-abilities either.

Makarova, on the other hand, had plenty of match-play on grass, having played two matches at Birmingham, and won four prior matches at Eastbourne to qualify and reach the second round. After trailing 1-3* against Vera, she won 8 games in a row to lead 6-3 3-0*. Makarova kept finding the sidelines with sharp, left-handed groundstrokes.

Perhaps Vera was caught out by an earlier-than-expected start. The match was fourth on Centre Court, but the prior matches went 6-3 6-0, 6-2 6-2, and 1-2 retired, so Vera had to play perhaps a couple of hours earlier than she might have expected.

My full match-report, with a blow-by-blow description of every point, is at:
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ten...ourne2008.html

-----------------------------------------------------
5. Second-round eyewitness report: Dulko v Govortsova
-----------------------------------------------------

+ Gisela Dulko [DF] d. Olga Govortsova, 6-1 6-7 (3/7) 6-2

When I came off Centre Court after Vera Zvonarëva's match, and arrived at Court 1 at about 16:25 BST, Gisela was leading 6-1 1-2*. She broke back immediately, then games went with serve, and Gisela had a match-point at 5-4* (ad). She was a little unlucky not to seal her victory there, and after an exchange of breaks that saw Govortsova serve for the second set at 6-5, Gisela went on to lose the second set on a tiebreak.

Gisela raced to a *3-0 lead in the third set, then Govortsova took an off-court medical time-out for what appeared to be a right-arm injury. Gisela extended her lead to 4-0*, but had to endure a break back before she broke again and served out the match.

There were a lot of dropshots from both players in the match, a lot of sliced backhands from Gisela - not so many chopped forehands this time - and Gisela's passing-shots got a good workout as Govortsova went to the net quite often.

Unlike in her first-round match, Gisela had a patch on her right shoulder.

First set
---------
DULKO _*@*@*@ 6
GOVOR *______ 1

The match was third on Court 1. I gather from the live-scores thread <http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=346813> that it started at about 15:40 BST, and Gisela won the first set at 16:11 (31 minutes).

Second set
----------
DULKO __*@* * *__@_ 6(3)
GOVOR @*___* * *@ T 7(7)

Govortsova serving 2-1: Double fault (second serve into the net). 0/15. Gisela backhand just long. 15/15. Govortsova hit a short-angled crosscourt forehand, but Gisela replied with a short-angled crosscourt forehand winner. 15/30. Govortsova down-the-line forehand just wide. 15/40 (BP #1). Gisela ran down a dropshot, but hit a forehand wide. 30/40 (BP #2). Govortsova gave Gisela the break back by mishitting a crosscourt forehand wide; it hit a ballboy.

Gisela serving 2-2: Govortsova off-backhand wide. 15/0. Govortsova backhand long. 30/0. Forehand return long. 40/0. Govortsova crosscourt backhand wide.

Govortsova serving 2-3: Gisela hit some sliced backhands, and Govortsova dumped a sliced backhand into the net. 0/15. Gisela won her seventh point in a row with a crosscourt forehand winner. 0/30. Gisela netted a forehand return. 15/30. Gisela hit a backhand long, and said "ah". 30/30. Govortsova went to the net, forcing Gisela to net a sliced backhand. 40/30. Gisela netted a forehand return.

Gisela serving 3-3: Gisela crosscourt backhand wide. 0/15. Gisela's dropshot forced Govortsova to hit a backhand just wide. 15/15. Gisela on the third stroke hit a backhand just long. 15/30. Govortsova forehand long. 30/30. Gisela hit a short-angled crosscourt forehand pass-winner. 40/30. Govortsova error.

Govortsova serving 3-4: Serve + crosscourt forehand winner on the sideline. 15/0. Gisela came to the net behind a crosscourt forehand onto the sideline, forcing Govortsova to hit a forehand lob long. 15/15. A low-bouncing ball from Govortsova forced Gisela to earth a sliced backhand. 30/15. Govortsova forehand long. 30/30. Govortsova backhand pass-winner down the line. 40/30. Govortsova's deep crosscourt backhand forced Gisela to net a backhand.

Gisela serving 4-4: She sliced a backhand just long. 0/15. Service-winner. 15/15. Gisela netted a sliced backhand. 15/30. Serve + off-forehand winner. 30/30. Gisela ran down a dropshot, and hit a crosscourt forehand dropshot-winner. 40/30. Govortsova ran down a dropshot, but netted a backhand.

Govortsova serving 4-5: Gisela's low-bouncing ball forced Govortsova to net a backhand. 0/15. Govortsova ran down a dropshot, and hit a crosscourt backhand winner. 15/15. Forehand return long. 30/15. Govortsova sliced a backhand long. 30/30. Forehand return wide. 40/30. Gisela ran down a dropshot, and hit a forehand winner down the line. 40/40. Gisela hit a forehand pass-winner down the line, and pumped her fist. Ad Gisela (MP #1). Service-winner. Deuce #2. Gisela netted a forehand return. Ad Govortsova. She went to the net, forcing Gisela to hit a backhand long.

Gisela serving 5-5: Gisela forehand long. 0/15. Gisela netted a backhand. 0/30. Gisela netted a forehand. 0/40 (BP #1). Govortsova netted a backhand. 15/40 (BP #2). Govortsova forehand wide. 30/40 (BP #3). A cup fell onto court, so they played a let. Gisela hit a down-the-line forehand wide.

Govortsova serving 6-5: Gisela went to the net; Govortsova tried to lob her, but Gisela hit a lovely forehand smash-winner running backwards. 0/15. Govortsova on the third stroke hit a forehand drive-volley long. 0/30. Govortsova netted a forehand dropshot. 0/40. Gisela went to the net and hit an off-forehand volley + crosscourt forehand volley-winner.

6-6 tiebreak (all scores Dulko/Govortsova):
{*0/0} Gisela on the third stroke netted a forehand.
{0/1*} Gisela ran down a dropshot, and hit a sliced backhand pass-winner down the line.
{1/1*} Govortsova forehand long.
{*2/1} Gisela forehand volley wide.
{*2/2} A long rally, with sliced backhands from Gisela, ended with her hitting a forehand just long.
{2/3*} Gisela hit two careful shots, then netted a forehand.
{2/4*} Govortsova backhand long.
{*3/4} Govortsova down-the-line backhand drive-volley winner.
{3/5*} Gisela forehand just long.
{3/6*: SP #1} Gisela sprayed a crosscourt backhand wide. Govortsova won the second set 7-6 (7/3) at 17:10 (second set 59m, match so far 1h30m).

Third set
---------
DULKO @*@*__@* 6
GOVOR ____*@__ 2

Govortsova serving 0-0: Gisela let a floater bounce, and hit a high crosscourt forehand winner. 0/15. Gisela hit a crosscourt forehand into the corner, forcing Govortsova to hit a forehand wide. 0/30. Govortsova off-forehand just wide. 0/40 (BP #1). Gisela forehand long. 15/40 (BP #2). Gisela broke with a crosscourt forehand smash-winner.

Gisela serving 1-0: Govortsova netted a forehand. 15/0. Gisela netted a backhand. 15/15. Govortsova netted a sliced backhand return. 30/15. Govortsova hit a deep, low-bouncing return just inside the baseline, forcing Gisela to net a backhand. 30/30. Govortsova off-forehand wide. 40/30. Gisela forehand long. 40/40. Govortsova crosscourt backhand just wide. Ad Gisela. Govortsova hit a huge forehand down the line, forcing Gisela to net a backhand. Deuce #2. Govortsova forehand smash-winner. Ad Govortsova (BP). She dumped a forehand return into the net. Deuce #3. Gisela crosscourt backhand dropshot-winner. Ad Gisela. Govortsova netted a backhand.

Govortsova serving 0-2: Gisela dumped a backhand into the net. 15/0. Govortsova went to the net, but Gisela hit a backhand into her body, forcing her to net a backhand volley. 15/15. Govortsova went to the net again, and Gisela hit a forehand lob-winner. 15/30. Ace out wide: on the sideline. Gisela complained: "It was like /here/." 30/30. Gisela crosscourt forehand dropshot-winner. 30/40. Gisela hit a forehand smash-winner to seal her insurance-break.

Govortsova got the trainer on for her right arm, and Gisela took the opportunity to get some on-court coaching. Govortsova took an off-court medical time-out; Gisela put her overtop on, hit some practice-serves, and ran back and forth at the side of the court. The break in play was at least seven minutes, judging by the timestamps on my photos (17:28 to 17:35).

Gisela serving 3-0: She hit a brilliant forehand winner down the line, low over the net. 15/0. Govortsova netted a forehand. 30/0. Govortsova crosscourt backhand return wide. 40/0. Service-winner.

Govortsova serving 0-4: Gisela forehand long. 15/0. Double fault (second serve clipped the netcord and fell wide). 15/15. Govortsova crosscourt backhand winner. 30/15. Serve + off-backhand winner. 40/15. Govortsova on the third stroke hit a forehand long. 40/30. Gisela ran down a dropshot, and hit an off-forehand winner. 40/40. Gisela netted a forehand. Ad Govortsova. Gisela forehand long.

Gisela serving 4-1 (new balls): Serve out wide + forehand winner down the line: on the sideline. 15/0. Govortsova's deep off-forehand forced Gisela to net a backhand. 15/15. Serve out wide + error-forcing off-forehand. 30/15. Gisela went for a crosscourt forehand winner on the third stroke, but it was just wide. 30/30. Double fault (second serve into the net). 30/40. Gisela hit a forehand long to give one of the breaks back.

Govortsova serving 2-4: Govortsova dumped a forehand into the net. 0/15. Govortsova off-forehand drive-volley winner. 15/15. Govortsova's depth forced Gisela to net a backhand. 30/15. Govortsova forehand just wide. 30/30. Double fault (second serve long). 30/40 (BP #1). A deep, wide shot from Govortsova forced Gisela to dump a forehand into the bottom of the net. 40/40. Govortsova went to the net, but Gisela hit a glorious backhand lob-winner onto the baseline. Ad Gisela (BP #2). Govortsova off-forehand just wide.

Gisela serving 5-2: She hit an off-forehand winner right in the corner. 15/0. Govortsova hit a crosscourt backhand wide of the tramlines. 30/0. Double fault (second serve just long). 30/15. Govortsova hit a down-the-line backhand wide. 40/15 (MP #2). Gisela netted a forehand. 40/30 (MP #3). Gisela's down-the-line forehand forced Govortsova to earth a backhand. Gisela won 6-1 6-7 (3/7) 6-2 at 17:53 (third set 43m (including Govortsova's lengthy MTO), match 2h13m).

-----------
6. Articles
-----------

Mauresmo a big doubt for Wimbledon (AFP)
>>>
France's Amélie Mauresmo is a big doubt for next week's Wimbledon after tearing a thigh-muscle at the WTA Eastbourne Championships on Wednesday.

The former world number-one was 14 minutes into her second-round game with Australian Samantha Stosur when the injury occurred, forcing her to leave the court and retire from the match.

Mauresmo, who won Wimbledon in 2006, will wait 48 hours to see if the pain subsides, but the prognosis is not optimistic, her spokeswoman said.

The injury comes at a bad time for Mauresmo, who is recovering from a dismal clay-court season after winning just one match at Roland Garros before losing to a Spanish qualifier.

The former world number-one, now ranked 30th, has 24 career-titles, including the Australian Open.
<<<

Former champions Kuznetsova, Mauresmo exit at Eastbourne (AFP)
>>>
Former Grand Slam champions Svetlana Kuznetsova and Amélie Mauresmo enter Wimbledon short on match-play after Wednesday upsets at the Eastbourne Championships.

Danish teenager Caroline Wozniacki ended the run of top seed Kuznetsova, the 2004 US Open winner, as the Russian turned in a "pretty disgusting" performance to lose 6-2 6-2 in her opening match.

"I trained so much and then played like this," she said. "It was pretty disgusting. Everything on grass is just the opposite of playing on clay.

"She played very loose and I was so tight. But this match was, I guess, better than none at all."

Mauresmo was felled after 14 minutes by a left-thigh injury which has to compromise her chances at Wimbledon, which she won in 2006. Australian Samantha Stosur won the match 1-2 retired.

"I felt something on the last point of my first service-game," said the 28-year-old Mauresmo. "In the next game, I felt I couldn't move well any more or push off on my left leg.

"I don't feel like taking any more risks before Wimbledon. I'm disappointed, but I had to stop here."

Kuznetsova struck a massive eight double faults in a tricky wind. "I'm very disappointed, but this can happen in tennis."

Wozniacki, the 2006 junior-Wimbledon winner, said her victory in just over an hour qualified as the best of her brief career.

"I like the fast, flat game," said the 17-year-old. "Serve and return are so important.

"I'm surprised with how confident I felt. I had never won a set off of of a top player. This is my best win: she's a world number-four who has won a Grand Slam [title].

"I just enjoy playing on grass," said Wozniacki, daughter of a former Poland-and-Denmark footballing father and volleyball-player mother.

Second seed Marion Bartoli, the 2007 Wimbledon-finalist, rediscovered the joy of tennis with a 6-3 6-0 defeat of Sybille Bammer for a last-eight place.

A month after declaring her desire to take a long break from the game, the Frenchwoman is now eager to try and repeat her best career-showing at a Major.

"Suddenly I feel great: I'm healthy and eager," said the 23-year-old with three career-titles. "Losing in the first round at Roland Garros - in your home country, at your home Grand Slam - is tough.

"I was the first French player to lose, and it didn't feel good."

Added former Eastbourne semi-finalist Bartoli: "I was frustrated; I've had so many injuries: my wrist, my knee, my leg, my Achilles tendon.

"When you can't train at 100%, it's tough. It was heartbreaking to lose so early in Paris. But I feel that the bad things that have happened in the first part of the year will help me out later.

"This is the first week of the year that I've felt this good," said Bartoli, who said she felt no pain from her latest wrist-injury.

Ekaterina Makarova added to seeded woes as she put out number three Vera Zvonarëva 6-3 6-3.
<<<

Kuznetsova out of Eastbourne and Mauresmo injured (Reuters)
(Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
>>>
Top seed Svetlana Kuznetsova was beaten 6-2 6-2 by Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki in the second round of the Eastbourne International on Wednesday.

The grasscourt-tournament was also hit by the withdrawal of former Wimbledon-champion Amélie Mauresmo, who retired in her match against Australia's Samantha Stosur with a thigh-strain.

"I just felt something on the last point of my first service-game, and then, during the returning game, I felt that I couldn't really move that well any more or push off my left leg," Mauresmo, the 2006 Wimbledon-champion, told reporters.

"With this happening at the beginning of the match, I didn't feel like taking any risks before Wimbledon next week."

Third seed Vera Zvonarëva had her Wimbledon-preparations cut short when she lost to fellow Russia Ekaterina Makarova 6-3 6-3 to set up another all-Russian clash against Nadia Petrova.

There was better news for second seed Marion Bartoli as last year's surprise runner-up at Wimbledon made short work of Austian Sybille Bammer, dropping just three games to reach the quarter-final.
<<<

Kuznetsova upset, Mauresmo retires in Eastbourne (AP)
>>>
Top-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova was upset 6-2 6-2 Wednesday by Danish teenager Caroline Wozniacki in the second round of the Eastbourne International Women's Open.

The Wimbledon warm-up event lost another top player when Amélie Mauresmo retired with a thigh-strain while leading Samantha Stosur 2-1.

Mauresmo, who won the 2006 Wimbledon-title by defeating Justine Henin, said she felt her injury after she broke Stosur in the opening game.

"I felt that I couldn't really move that well anymore or push off my left leg," Mauresmo said in a statement. "With this happening at the beginning of the match, I didn't feel like taking any risks before Wimbledon next week."

Second-seeded Marion Bartoli advanced, showing no sign of her recent wrist-injury as she overwhelmed Sybille Bammer 6-3 6-0. Third-seeded Vera Zvonarëva was upset 6-3 6-3 by Ekaterina Makarova.

Kuznetsova never looked comfortable in the windy conditions. Wozniacki, who won the Wimbledon junior-event two years ago, broke her serve in the opening game. Kuznetsova broke right back and had three break-points at 2-1, but then lost the next nine points to trail 2-3.

Kuznetsova had three straight double faults as Wozniacki broke again for 5-2. The 17-year-old Wozniacki took a 4-0 lead in the second set.

"It was pretty disgusting being out there," Kuznetsova said. "I wish I could play better, but the first match on grass I think is very hard. She had much more of an advantage because she was used to it. It was a weird situation, and definitely not nice to be out there at all."

Kuznetsova enters Wimbledon next week having played just one grass-court match.

"At least I've played some, and I have a few days to practise," she said. "I'm very disappointed, because I hoped to play a few more matches, but this is tennis and it can happen."

Mauresmo is seeded 16th at Wimbledon, which begins on Monday. She is looking for a quick recovery.

"Hopefully if I rest for two, three days, it will be okay," Mauresmo said. "Basically, it is a tiny tear and time is running against us. It is only four, five days before my first match, but let's try to stay optimistic."
<<<

Kuznetsova, Zvonarëva Out; Bartoli Back On Track
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1...ContentID=2353
>>>
The top four seeds made their first appearances of the week at the International Women's Open on Wednesday. One won, two lost, and another didn't even finish as the second round nearly came to completion at the key Wimbledon warm-up event on the lawns of Devonshire Park in Eastbourne.

Svetlana Kuznetsova and Vera Zvonarëva, both coming off impressive clay-court seasons and seeded No.1 and No.3, respectively, fell to youngsters Caroline Wozniacki and Ekaterina Makarova.

Wozniacki, whose junior-highlights include the Wimbledon girls' title two years ago, notched her third top-ten win of the season against the No.4-ranked Kuznetsova: 6-2 6-2.

Makarova, a qualifier into the draw, beat the No.13-ranked Zvonarëva nearly as handily, 6-3 6-3, for her third top-twenty win of the season.

Already in 2008, Wozniacki has notched two wins over Marion Bartoli; Makarova has wins over Ágnes Szávay and Nicole Vaidišová.

Given their recent results, if any of the top three seeds weren't going to advance, most would have picked No.2 seed Bartoli, who came in on a four-match losing-streak, and has won barely more than a third of her matches this season. But her powerful, flat groundstrokes certainly found their range just a week before she defends her final-run at Wimbledon, as she beat Sybille Bammer 6-3 6-0.

No.4 seed Agnieszka Radwańska split sets with Virginie Razzano in the last match of the day, dropping the first 3-6 and winning the second 6-3, before darkness fell and the conclusion was pushed to Thursday.

In other matches, Gisela Dulko got past Olga Govortsova 6-1 6-7(3) 6-2, qualifier Alisa Kleybanova beat Aravane Rezaď 6-3 5-7 6-3, and Samantha Stosur advanced when Amélie Mauresmo retired up 2-1 in the first set due to a left-thigh injury.

"I felt something on the last point of my first service-game; during the return game, I couldn't really move that well or push off of my left leg anymore," Mauresmo said. "With this happening at the beginning of the match, I didn't feel like taking any risks before Wimbledon next week. I am of course disappointed, but I felt I had to make the decision to stop it here."

The completion of the Radwańska v Razzano match and all four quarter-finals are on the schedule for Thursday.
<<<

Seeds swept out of Eastbourne second round
http://www.lta.org.uk/News/All-news-...second-round-/
>>>
Caroline Wozniacki swept No.1 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova out of the Women's International Open 6-2 6-2 in gusty conditions in Eastbourne on Wednesday.

Former world junior No.1 Wozniacki was seemingly oblivious to the swirling wind, hitting the lines with her forehand, and winning 55% of points on Kuznetsova's serve.

In contrast, Kuznetsova seemed unable to adjust to the challenging weather-conditions, getting 47% of first serves into play, her service broken five times in the match.

Kuznetsova was keen to take something positive from the match saying, "It was really hard out there today because of the wind. "I've been practising my serve a lot, and then I served eight double faults. For Wimbledon, it was better for me to play a match like that than to play no match at all."

For Wozniacki, the 2006 junior-Wimbledon champion, Kuznetsova was the biggest scalp of her senior-career. "I've improved a lot recently," said the Danish 17-year-old.

"A lot of it is mental, because you have to believe you can win these sorts of matches. Svetlana is definitely the best player I've ever beaten.

"Today was a bit difficult because of the wind, especially in the first set, but I enjoy playing on grass. I'll go out and try to win my next match, and see how it goes."

Wozniacki's opponent in the third round is Australian Sam Stosur, who progressed after Amélie Mauresmo was forced to retire from their match with a left-thigh strain, leading 2-1.

"I just felt something on the last point of my first service-game and then, during the returning-game, I felt that I couldn't really move that well any more or push off my left leg," said the 2006 Wimbledon-champion.

"With this happening at the beginning of the match, I didn't feel like taking any risks before Wimbledon next week. I am of course disappointed, but I felt I had to make the decision to stop it here."

The Frenchwoman was cautious about her prospects for playing Wimbledon. "I already started to get some treatment, and I will try everything I can to be ready for Wimbledon, even though we know that it might be a little bit short," she said. "Let's see how it goes, and I probably know a little bit more in 48 hours."

No.3 seed Vera Zvonarëva managed just six games in her match against countrywoman Ekaterina Makarova of Russia, falling 6-3 6-3 in one hour and eight minutes. "There is not much to say: she played well; I played bad," said Zvonarëva.

"It was my first match on grass, and I just wasn't in it all. I will now be working on getting ready for Wimbledon, where I hopefully find my game."

No.2 seed Marion Bartoli cruised into the third round at the expense of Sybille Bammer of Austria: 6-3 6-0. After the match, a rejuvenated Bartoli was encouraged by her performance.

"I was very aggressive, and feeling the ball really well," said the world No.11. "I made all the shots I wanted to play, and I feel at the top of my game. When I'm playing like that, it's very difficult for my opponents."

And she said the wrist-injury that felled her in Birmingham last week was behind her. "I'm feeling healthy and I have a lot of energy. Maybe it's the feeling of Wimbledon approaching; I'm feeling really well, my wrist feels good, and I don't feel tired at all."

Wednesday's 'Twilight Match' between Virginie Razzano and Agnieszka Radwańska was suspended at one-set all: 6-3 3-6 0-0.
<<<

The first four matches on Centre Court went much quicker than expected, but what the hell were they thinking, inserting an unscheduled doubles-match BEFORE Razzano v Radwańska?

-----------------
7. Eastbourne Cup
-----------------

The Eastbourne Cup is an unofficial tournament (officiated, but not recognised by the WTA) involving 16 players who lost early in the WTA event (qualifying or first round). It's a knockout-draw, and I saw bits of a couple of first-round matches on Wednesday:

Olaru v Dell'Acqua
------------------

+ Ioana Raluca Olaru d. Casey Dell'Acqua, 7-5 6-7 (8/10) [10/5]

I watched the end of the second set - including the tiebreak, in which Olaru squandered two match-points IIRC. She was so cute and emotional.

If I'd realised they were going to play a match-tiebreak instead of a full third set, I would have watched that too... then again, judging by the timestamps on my photos, I was probably better off going to Centre Court to watch the last two games of Caroline Wozniacki's 6-2 6-2 thrashing of Svetlana Kuznetsova!

On Wednesday evening, I saw several players in the Italian restaurant I went to, including Olaru two tables to the left of me, with wires coming out of her left wrist.

Cornet v Dushevina
------------------

+ Alizé Cornet d. Vera Dushevina, 6-1 6-3

In the first set, Cornet thrashed Dushevina with the ease that might be expected after Dushevina's thrashing by Ekaterina Makarova and Cornet's unlucky draw against Amélie Mauresmo.

The second set was much tighter until Cornet pulled clear by breaking for *5-3.

Other first-round results
-------------------------

Nice winner, nice loser:
+ Monica Niculescu [s] d. Katie O'Brien, 6-0 6-3

What rocked:
+ Urszula Radwańska d. Catalina Castańo, 2 sets to 1

What sucked:
- Shahar Pe'er lt. Bethanie Mattek, 3-6 6-3 [6/10]
- Virginia Ruano Pascual lt. Nathalie Dechy, 2-6 4-6

8. International Junior Event (in new tennis we trust)

- Elena Bogdan lt. Laura Robson, 4-6 5-7

A disappointing result for talented left-hander Bogdan after her fine performance the previous day. She looked pretty upset in this match: her eyes red with tears.

Unfortunately I can't find out how Anna Orlik and Nadia Lalami got on, because the scoreboard had not been updated when I left the tournament on Wednesday evening, and I can't find the results on the Internet either.

All I know is that Orlik beat Coco Vandeweghe in a good match (I saw the first few games, then had to leave to watch Vera Zvonarëva on Centre Court), went on to reach Friday's final, but lost 6-1 6-4 to Robson.

I did catch a brief glimpse of Lalami on an outside court: this time dressed in grey, with her right elbow taped up IIRC. I can't explain why I only ended up with one photo from Wednesday of the gorgeous Lalami, but it's a very good one! ;-)

On Wednesday evening, I saw several players in the Italian restaurant I went to, including Bogdan and Lalami, who were sitting at a table to the right of me, with three other girls whom I didn't recognise.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #4
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

Andrew's TV-reports for Thursday

Contents
--------

1. Quarter-final results
2. Quarter-final TV-report: Bartoli v Kleybanova
3. Quarter-final TV-report: Dulko v Radwańska
4. Articles
5. Eastbourne Cup: Quarter-finals

------------------------
1. Quarter-final results (Thursday 19th June)
------------------------

What rocked:
+ MARION BARTOLI [2,DF,S] d. Alisa Kleybanova [Q], 6-3 6-3

What sucked:
- Gisela Dulko [DF] lt. AGNIESZKA RADWAŃSKA [4], 5-7 5-7
- Caroline Wozniacki lt. Samantha Stosur, 6-7 (3/7) 4-6
- Ekaterina Makarova [Q] lt. NADIA PETROVA [8], 4-6 3-6

2. Quarter-final TV-report: Bartoli v Kleybanova

+ MARION BARTOLI [2,DF,S] d. Alisa Kleybanova [Q], 6-3 6-3

The match started at 15:57 BST, and I saw the whole thing on BBCi.

First set
---------
BARTOLI *@*@*___* 6
KLEYBAN _____*@*_ 3

Marion serving 0-0: Kleybanova forehand wide. 15/0. Kleybanova forehand return just long. 30/0. Service-winner. 40/0. Ace out wide.

Kleybanova serving 0-1: Backhand return winner down Kleybanova's backhand-sideline. 0/15. Kleybanova dropshot + forehand lob long. 0/30. Kleybanova netted a forehand return. 0/40. Kleybanova on the third stroke dumped a backhand into the net.

Marion won the first 8 points!

Marion serving 2-0: Marion crosscourt forehand just long & just wide. 0/15. Marion hit a short-angled crosscourt backhand winner. 15/15. Serve out wide + crosscourt backhand winner back behind Kleybanova. 30/15. Kleybanova forehand return just wide. 40/15. Kleybanova dominated the point, and a netcord from her induced Marion to mishit a backhand wide. 40/30. Kleybanova netted a backhand return.

Virginia Wade: "She anticipates so brilliantly, and can redirect the ball so easily. Always inside the baseline, and staying down well for the ball - hitting it so early."

Kleybanova serving 0-3: Body-jamming serve + crosscourt backhand winner. 15/0. Kleybanova on the third stroke hit a backhand long. 15/15. Kleybanova on the third stroke netted a forehand. 15/30. Double fault (second serve into the net). 15/40. Marion cracked an early backhand return just inside the baseline, forcing Kleybanova to earth a backhand.

Marion serving 4-0: Service-winner out wide. 15/0. Kleybanova opened up the court and hit a crosscourt forehand winner. 15/15. Kleybanova sprayed a forehand long off a weak dropshot from Marion. 30/15. Service-winner out wide. 40/15. Off a body-jamming serve, Kleybanova squeezed a backhand return-winner into the corner - Marion was surprised it was in. 40/30. Kleybanova pinned Marion back and then hit a crosscourt backhand dropshot-winner. 40/40. Kleybanova dumped a backhand into the net. Ad Marion. Kleybanova off-backhand winner just inside the sideline. Deuce #2. Kleybanova backhand return long. Ad Marion. Kleybanova forehand long.

Virginia Wade: "She's very much at the mercy of Marion Bartoli's razor-like shots."

Kleybanova serving 0-5: Marion netcord off-backhand return-winner. 0/15. Serve out wide + crosscourt forehand winner. 15/15. Marion netted a crosscourt forehand return. 30/15. Double fault #2 (second serve down the middle wide). 30/30. Serve out wide + crosscourt backhand winner just inside the baseline. 40/30. Kleybanova's short-angled crosscourt forehand forced Marion to stretch low & wide and earth a crosscourt forehand.

Marion serving 5-1: Double fault #1 (second serve just long). 0/15. Kleybanova netted a backhand. 15/15. Kleybanova ran down a dropshot and hit a deep crosscourt forehand winner just inside the baseline. 15/30. A deep forehand return onto the baseline forced Marion to net a backhand. 15/40. A deep backhand return onto the baseline forced Marion to net a forehand.

Kleybanova serving 2-5: Ace out wide: just inside the sideline. 15/0. Kleybanova forehand just wide. 15/15. Double fault #3 (second serve long). 15/30. Kleybanova on the third stroke dumped a backhand into the bottom of the net. 15/40 (SP #1). First serve almost hit Marion on the full - would have been Kleybanova's point! Kleybanova forehand volley-winner down the line: right in the corner. 30/40 (SP #2). Marion netted a forehand return. 40/40. Service-winner out wide. Ad Kleybanova. Ace out wide.

Marion serving 5-3: Virtual ace out wide. 15/0. Kleybanova hit an error-forcing backhand return down the line. 15/15. Kleybanova crosscourt forehand pass-winner. 15/30. Service-winner. 30/30. Kleybanova dumped a backhand return into the net. 40/30. Service-winner out wide. Marion won the first set 6-3 at 16:33 (36 minutes).

David Mercer: "Enough at the end of that set to suggest that the second set could be quite close."

Second set
----------
BARTOLI _* *@* *@ 6
KLEYBAN * *___*__ 3

Kleybanova serving 0-0 (new balls): Marion dumped a forehand return into the bottom of the net. 15/0. Marion netted a forehand. 30/0. Marion's depth forced Kleybanova crosscourt forehand just wide. 30/15. Marion hit a couple of excellent lobs: one to neuter Kleybanova's early initiative, and another for a winner after drawing Kleybanova to the net with a dropshot. 30/30. Double fault #4 (wild second serve long). 30/40 (BP). Serve + crosscourt forehand winner into the corner. 40/40. Marion played a great spreading rally, with a pinpoint forehand down the line forcing Kleybanova into error. Ad Marion (BP #2). She netted a cheap backhand. Deuce #2. Marion crosscourt forehand return long. Ad Kleybanova. Wild first serve almost to the baseline! But Kleybanova made up for it with an off-backhand winner just inside the sideline - I don't think that she meant it, though.

Marion serving 0-1: Marion hit a deep, error-forcing crosscourt forehand. 15/0. Marion came to the net behind a very short ball from Kleybanova, and hit a two-handed backhand volley-winner. 30/0. Ace #2: out wide. 40/0. Ace #3: out wide, just inside the sideline.

Kleybanova serving 1-1: Ace out wide: just inside the sideline. 15/0. Kleybanova, stretched wide & low, mishit a crosscourt forehand lob wide. 15/15. Marion netted a forehand that would also have been wide, off a deep ball from Kleybanova. 30/15. Kleybanova sprayed a forehand very long. 30/30. Serve out wide + forehand winner down the line. 40/30. Kleybanova on the third stroke hit a crosscourt backhand dropshot-winner, though I'm not sure that she meant it.

Marion serving 1-2: Kleybanova forehand long. 15/0. Kleybanova crosscourt forehand return + forehand winner down the line. 15/15. Kleybanova crosscourt backhand return, but down-the-line forehand long. 30/15. Kleybanova chopped a forehand return into the net. 40/15. Double fault #2 (second serve long). 40/30. Kleybanova hit an error-forcing crosscourt backhand. 40/40. Forehand return long. Ad Marion. Double fault #3 (second serve into the net). Deuce #2. Kleybanova mishit a forehand long, with a little scream. Ad Marion. Kleybanova hit a great return off an excellent serve, but hit a forehand long.

Kleybanova serving 2-2: A good first serve out wide, right in the corner, forced Marion to net a forehand return. 15/0. Kleybanova thought she served an ace, but it was just long/wide. Marion netted a forehand. 30/0. Kleybanova mishit a forehand into the net. 30/15. Kleybanova on the third stroke netted a forehand. 30/30. A deep forehand return down the middle induced Kleybanova to dump a backhand into the net. 30/40. Kleybanova on the third stroke netted a forehand to put Marion a set and a break up.

Bartoli serving 3-2: Service-winner. 15/0. Double fault (second serve into the net - the wind messed up her toss). 15/15. Kleybanova forehand return wide. 30/15. Kleybanova dumped a forehand return into the net off a penetrating shot into the corner from Marion. 40/15. Marion crosscourt backhand wide. 40/30. Kleybanova crosscourt backhand dropshot-winner off a deep ball from Marion. 40/40. Body-jamming serve: Kleybanova off-backhand return wide. Ad Marion. Kleybanova sprayed a forehand return wide.

Kleybanova serving 2-4: Kleybanova sprayed a crosscourt backhand wide off a poor dropshot from Marion. 0/15. Double fault #5 (second serve into the net). 0/30. Marion's crosscourt forehand was called wide, but overruled as good, so they replayed the point: serve + deep off-forehand winner just inside the baseline. 15/30. Kleybanova forehand long off a deep ball just inside the baseline from Marion. 15/40. Serve out wide + off-backhand winner back behind Marion. 30/40. Serve out wide + crosscourt forehand winner just inside the sideline. 40/40. Serve out wide + deep, error-forcing backhand down the middle. Ad Kleybanova. Marion forehand return long.

Marion serving 4-3: Ace out wide: on the sideline. 15/0. Kleybanova netted a forehand. 30/0. Ace out wide: on the sideline. 40/0. Ace out wide: right in the corner.

Kleybanova serving 3-5: Marion hit an early crosscourt backhand return-winner. 0/15. Kleybanova on the third stroke hit a backhand long. 0/30. Double fault (wild second serve very long). 0/40 (MP #1). Kleybanova on the third stroke hit a forehand just long. Marion won 6-3 6-3 at 17:16 (second set 43m, match 1h19m).

Marion won the first 8 points of the match, and the last 8 points!

Marion's on-court interview
---------------------------

MATT CHILTON: Marion Bartoli, another very /efficient/ win. What is it about your game that makes you so effective on grass?

MARION BARTOLI: Yeah, thank you very much. Well, it was very tough today: it was very windy, but er, I guess that that ??radio ball-sound?? helped me to control the ball, and I'm really happy to be in the semi-final again.

MATT CHILTON: This time last year, just on the cusp of Wimbledon, and then you had that fantastic run all the way to the final. Are you feeling similarly confident this year?

MARION BARTOLI: Yeah, you know, I'm playing really well, er, specially those two matches. And I'm very happy to be back in Eastbourne, I really do love this tournament, and er, hopefully I will be able to play the same way at Wimbledon.

MATT CHILTON: So, you were a semi-finalist here a year ago. You're in the semi-finals again this year. What do you think you can achieve tomorrow?

MARION BARTOLI: Well, I will try my best, and hopefully I can be in the final, and er, why not win the tournament?

MATT CHILTON: Okay, well, we wish you the very best of luck. Ladies and gentlemen: Marion Bartoli!

---------------------------------------------
3. Quarter-final TV-report: Dulko v Radwańska
---------------------------------------------

- Gisela Dulko [DF] lt. AGNIESZKA RADWAŃSKA [4], 5-7 5-7

Sam Smith: "What's so good about Gisela Dulko, and why she'll always be up there in the rankings, is that she has a terrific all-round game, as does Radwańska. Radwańska is much more controlled, cool and calculating than her sister Urszula. She's getting bigger and stronger all the time - a couple of years ago, we nicknamed her 'The Little Sparrow' because she was /so/ slight. Her style is very Hingis-like: great ball-control."

First set
---------
DULKO ___* * *@*__ 5
RADWA *@* * *___*@ 7

The match started at 17:29 BST, and I watched it on BBCi until its transmission ended at 18:00.

Radwańska serving 0-0: A long rally ended with Radwańska hitting a crosscourt backhand pass-winner back behind Gisela. 15/0. Service-winner. 30/0. Gisela netted a forehand. 40/0. Gisela netted a backhand off a deep off-forehand from Radwańska.

Gisela serving 0-1: Gisela crosscourt backhand just wide. 0/15. Gisela came to the net, but Radwańska hit a forehand lob-winner. 0/30. Gisela netted a backhand. 0/40. Gisela came to the net and won her first point of the match (after losing the first 7) with a delectable backhand drop-volley winner. 15/40. Gisela crosscourt forehand + error-forcing off-forehand. 30/40. Gisela netted a one-handed backhand with a cute little "ah".

Radwańska serving 2-0: Radwańska's dropshot forced Gisela to net a forehand. 15/0. Gisela chopped a forehand return long. 30/0. Gisela hit a beautiful crosscourt forehand return-winner onto the sideline, with a cute little "ah". 30/15. Ace down the middle. 40/15. Short-angled ace out wide.

David Mercer: "It's not as if Gisela Dulko played /badly/ - Radwańska just played too well."
Sam Smith: "It's not that Dulko has done much wrong - just hasn't won the key points, or done enough of the right things out here."

Gisela serving 0-3: Serve + crosscourt forehand winner. 15/0. Gisela backhand long. 15/15. Gisela hit a forehand winner after one of her forehands earlier in the rally looked long but wasn't called. 30/15. Gisela crosscourt forehand winner. 40/15. Radwańska blasted a crosscourt forehand return wide.

Radwańska serving 3-1: Radwańska's dropshot + lob combination forced Gisela to hit a backhand behind her wide. 15/0. Radwańska netted a backhand. 15/15. Gisela earthed a forehand. Sam Smith: "Uncharacteristic of Dulko - she's usually so neat with her feet." 30/15. Service-winner down the middle. 40/15. Gisela's crosscourt forehand return just inside the sideline forced Radwańska to net a forehand. 40/30. Gisela netted a cheap forehand.

Sam Smith: "She's not taking enough game to Radwańska, who has plenty of time on the ball. Hasn't got the right balance between getting the ball in the court and making something happen."

Gisela serving 1-4: Radwańska netted a sliced backhand off a deep ball from Gisela. 15/0. Gisela hit an off-forehand winner just inside the sideline. 30/0. A deep forehand return down the middle forced Gisela on the back foot to net a forehand that would also have been wide. 30/15. In a windy rally, Gisela pounced on a short ball to hit a crosscourt forehand winner. 40/15. Radwańska netted a forehand return.

Radwańska serving 4-2: Radwańska's dropshot + lob combination forced Gisela to net a backhand squash-shot. 15/0. Radwańska forced a short lob from Gisela, and dispatched it with a forehand winner down the line. 30/0. Gisela forehand long. 40/0. Gisela hit an amazing backhand dropshot-winner from behind the baseline! 40/15. Gisela crosscourt forehand return long & wide. Gisela got her brother Alejandro on court for some coaching.

Gisela serving 2-5: Radwańska netted an off-backhand return that would also have been wide. 15/0. Gisela hit a sliced backhand (her third of the rally) long. 15/15. Radwańska forehand down the middle just long. 30/15. Gisela netted a backhand dropshot. David Mercer: "Her feet were locked." Sam Smith: "The early setters don't do well in these [windy] conditions." 30/30. Radwańska blasted a forehand return very long. 40/30. Gisela blasted a wild crosscourt backhand wide. 40/40. Radwańska backhand floated just long. Ad Gisela. Her sliced backhand floated long. Deuce #2. Gisela off-forehand winner. Ad Gisela. Serve + off-forehand winner.

BBCi ended their transmission at 17:59, with Radwańska leading 5-3 :-||
Radwańska won the first set 7-5 at 18:14 (45 minutes).

Second set
----------
DULKO ___*@*@_ 4
RADWA *@*____@ 4

BBC 2 showed some of the second set during a rain-delay on Friday.

Gisela serving 0-3: Gisela came to the net and hit an off-forehand volley-winner. 15/0. Gisela earthed a backhand - poor footwork. 15/15. Gisela netted a forehand off a low-bouncing return. 15/30. Radwańska struck a well-held crosscourt forehand winner into the corner. 15/40. Serve out wide + crosscourt backhand winner in the corner. 30/40. Radwańska netted a very makeable crosscourt forehand pass-winner. 40/40. Radwańska sprayed a crosscourt forehand return wide. Ad Gisela. On the third stroke, she hit a forehand long. Deuce #2. Radwańska ran down a dropshot but hit a forehand long, yelled and smacked the net with her racket. Ad Gisela. She opened up the court and hit an off-forehand winner.

Radwańska serving 3-1: Gisela hit an off-forehand pass-winner off an inadequate approach from Radwańska. 0/15. Radwańska netted a forehand. 0/30. Gisela chopped a backhand return into the net. 15/30. Gisela's crosscourt forehand just inside the sideline forced Radwańska to net a forehand. 15/40. Double fault (foot-fault).

Centre Court was now almost half in shadow, which makes it awkward for the players.

Gisela serving 2-3: Gisela netted a backhand off a deep return on the baseline. 0/15. Gisela hit a nice-looking crosscourt forehand dropshot, but Radwańska ran it down and hit a forehand pass-winner down the line - amazing get. 0/30. Radwańska hit a backhand long and muttered. 15/30. Radwańska netted a backhand after running down a dropshot. 30/30. Gisela forced Radwańska to hit a backhand lob long. 30/40. Gisela came to the net and hit a lovely off-backhand volley-winner just inside the sideline.

Radwańska is in a very defensive mode at the moment.

Radwańska serving 3-3: Radwańska netted a backhand. Sam Smith: "She's just got a little bit scared out there." 0/15. Gisela hit a short forehand winner down the line: on the sideline even though the court was wide open. 0/30. Gisela drew Radwańska to the net with a dropshot, and ran backwards to hit a forehand smash-winner. 0/40. Radwańska on the third stroke hit a crosscourt backhand wide.

There was a nice close-up of Gisela at the changeover: drinking sexily from an orange bottle, and fiddling with her ponytail.

Gisela serving 4-3: Radwańska hit a deep forehand return down the line, on the baseline, forcing Gisela to earth a backhand (Gisela thought it was long). 0/15. Radwańska crosscourt backhand just wide. Sam Smith: "She's in a little bit of a bunker out here, mentally." 15/15. Serve out wide + off-forehand winner. 30/15. Gisela came to the net, but I would have liked to see her make a much better effort at running down Radwańska's lob-winner. 30/30. Radwańska hit an off-forehand winner back behind Gisela. 30/40. Gisela came to the net, but a short-angled crosscourt backhand pass forced her to stretch low & wide and hit a backhand wide: thus Radwańska broke back for 4-4.

BBC 2 then skipped straight to the end of the match as the rain-delay ended.

Gisela serving 5-6: Ad Radwańska (MP). Gisela came to the net, but netted a forehand half-volley at her feet. Radwańska won 7-5 7-5 at 19:05 (second set 51m, match 1h36m).

-----------
4. Articles
-----------

Bartoli into Eastbourne semi-finals (AP)
>>>
Wimbledon-finalist Marion Bartoli beat Russian qualifier Alisa Kleybanova 6-3 6-3 on Thursday to reach the semi-finals of the Eastbourne International Women's Open.

The second-seeded Bartoli had won just eight matches in 14 events coming into Eastbourne, and her run to the semi-finals this week is only her second since Wimbledon a year ago.

She began strongly, surrendering just three points in the first four games, but Kleybanova eventually settled. Bartoli failed to serve out the first set at 5-1 or convert two set-points on Kleybanova's serve at 5-2 before taking the set in the next game.

Bartoli broke for a 3-2 lead in the second set, and she closed out the match by winning the last eight points.

"I had a tough time because I was not healthy to play tennis, but now I'm feeling really well and really happy to be back on track," Bartoli said. "I arrived here and kept trying to practise, and one day my energy came back and I felt it was the same like last year."

Bartoli next plays fourth-seeded Agnieszka Radwańska, who first completed a 3-6 6-3 6-4 second-round win over Virginie Razzano that was suspended at one set each overnight, and then beat Gisela Dulko 7-5 7-5 in the quarter-finals.

The second semi-final will be between eighth-seeded Nadia Petrova and Australia's Samantha Stosur.

Petrova had little difficulty in overcoming qualifier Elena Makarova 6-4 6-3, and Stosur beat Caroline Wozniacki 7-6 (7/3) 6-4.

Stosur has not reached a semi-final since August 2006, and she was thrilled with her progress since returning to competition in May after missing eight months with illness.

"I've managed to stay positive and just focus on one thing at a time: basically about my game and what I want to improve," said Stosur, who was limited to walking for no more than 15 minutes at a time when she began training again. "If you keep it simple like that, I think it makes it a little bit easier."
<<<

Bartoli has easy ride to Eastbourne last four (Reuters)
By Clare Fallon (editing by Miles Evans and Pritha Sarkar)
>>>
Marion Bartoli, on the mend after a wrist-injury, reached the semi-finals of the Eastbourne International on Thursday by making short work of Russian qualifier Alisa Kleybanova.

Second seed Bartoli, the Wimbledon runner-up last year, will play fourth seed Agnieszka Radwańska of Poland in Friday's semi-finals after her 6-3 6-3 win.

Australian Samantha Stosur continued her comeback-trail from serious illness by becoming the first woman into the last four of the grasscourt-event, where she will face eighth seed Nadia Petrova of Russia.

Frenchwoman Bartoli, ranked 11th in the world and the top surviving seed after Svetlana Kuznetsova was beaten in the second round, raced to a 5-0 lead before Kleybanova began to fight back, winning three games in a row and saving two set-points.

Bartoli, though, wrapped up the set in the ninth game, and immediately went on the attack at the start of the second set, when Kleybanova had to save two break-points.

By the end of the set, the French player - who lost in her first match in Birmingham last week after aggravating a wrist-injury - was in imperious form, hitting three aces in the eighth game, and winning the ninth on a break to love.

"I am feeling really well, and I am really happy to be back on track and to feel healthy again," Bartoli told a news-conference.

Stosur overcame the windy conditions at Devonshire Park to beat Danish teenager Caroline Wozniacki 7-6 6-4.

VIRAL MENINGITIS

Doubles-specialist Stosur, who had an easy run through the second round when former Wimbledon-champion Amélie Mauresmo pulled out with an injury after three games, returned to tennis in April after seven months out with Lyme Disease and viral meningitis.

The former world number 27, now ranked #157 in singles, was delighted to be back on form.

"I am very happy that I can get a result like this when I come back," the 24-year-old Australian said. "When you do step away for a long time and you can't do what you want to do, I guess you certainly appreciate it more."

The 17-year-old Wozniacki, who beat Kuznetsova here and was Wimbledon junior-champion two years ago, failed to capitalise on three break-points early in the second set.

Wozniacki gave away a break-point at 4-4 with a double fault. Stosur converted it with a backhand winner, and served out for the match.

Petrova, playing with her right knee strapped, went 1-3 down at the start of her quarter-final against qualifier Ekaterina Makarova, but pulled herself together and never looked back.

After getting an early break in the second set, she broke again in the sixth game, helped by two double faults from Makarova, who had beaten third seed Vera Zvonarëva in the second round.

Radwańska, who had earlier completed a 3-6 6-3 6-4 win over France's Virginie Razzano in a second-round match, had to fight hard to beat Argentine Gisela Dulko 7-5 7-5 as the shadows lengthened on the Centre Court.
<<<

Bartoli reaches Eastbourne semis (PA SportsTicker)
>>>
Marion Bartoli appears to be regaining her form just in time for Wimbledon.

The second-seeded Frenchwoman advanced to the semi-finals of the International Women's Open on Thursday with a 6-3 6-3 triumph over Russian qualifier Alisa Kleybanova.

Bartoli also was a semi-finalist at this grasscourt-event last season, and went on to make a surprising run at Wimbledon, where she stunned former world No.1 Justine Henin before falling to Venus Williams in the championship.

Ranked 11th in the world, Bartoli has struggled since that remarkable effort however. The 23-year-old has not played in a final since, and has been dealing with various injuries, including the wrist-tendinitis which has hindered her play lately.

She has shown no signs of weakness here, dropping just nine games in two matches following a first-round bye.

Bartoli can expect a challenge in the semis from No.4 Agnieszka Radwańska, who won two matches on Thursday to reach the final four.

The Pole completed the final set of her suspended second-round match earlier in the day, downing Virginie Razzano 3-6 6-3 6-4, and later moved through the quarter-finals with a 7-5 7-5 win over Gisela Dulko.

The 19-year-old Radwańska has claimed two of her three career-titles this season, capturing lower-Tier events in Pattaya City and İstanbul.

In the top of the draw, eighth-seeded Russian Nadia Petrova downed countrywoman Ekaterina Makarova to set up a semi-final clash with unseeded Australian Samantha Stosur.

A 7-6 (7/3) 6-4 winner over Caroline Wozniacki, Stosur has been slowed by Lyme disease and viral meningitis since last summer, and is playing in just her third WTA event since the US Open.
<<<

Recovering Stosur blows into Eastbourne tennis-semis (AFP)
>>>
Australian Samantha Stosur stretched her comeback from illness with a charge into the semi-finals of the Eastbourne Championships: 7-6 (7/3) 6-4 over Caroline Wozniacki on Thursday.

Stosur, three-times a runner-up on the WTA, achieved her best showing since returning to tennis in April after an eight-month absence due to viral meningitis and Lyme's disease - a setback that dropped her ranking from a career-best 27th to 157th.

The 24-year-old, who has 22 doubles-titles, will play for a spot in the final at Devonshire Park against the winner from Russians Nadia Petrova, seeded fifth, and 62nd-ranked qualifier Ekaterina Makarova.

Stosur and the 17-year-old Wozniacki, of Denmark, battled for just over 90 minutes in the swirling wind that characterises this pre-Wimbledon event on the south coast.

"You just cope with it the best you can," said Stosur. "You have to stay positive and try to hit more winning shots than your opponent.

"I'm really happy to be in the semis. I played serve and volley and it worked well. I think you really have to do that on grass."

Stosur fired six aces, and saved six of the seven break-points she faced in the changeable, sunny condition on the grass.

France's Marion Bartoli, at second the highest seed left in the field, was playing later against Russian Alisa Kleybanova.

Bartoli, the Wimbledon runner-up, has struck a seam of form in perfect timing for next week's return to the All-England club, where she lost her title-bid to Venus Williams.
<<<

Stosur is first into Eastbourne semi-finals (Reuters)
(Editing by Miles Evans and Padraic Halpin)
>>>
Australian Samantha Stosur became the first woman into the semi-finals at the Eastbourne International Open with a 7-6 6-4 defeat of Dane Caroline Wozniacki on Thursday.

Both players struggled with the windy conditions as Eastbourne's stiff sea-breezes made serving difficult.

Doubles-specialist Stosur, who had a second-round walkover when former Wimbledon-champion Amélie Mauresmo pulled out of the grasscourt-event with an injury, returned to tennis in April after seven months out with Lyme Disease and viral meningitis.

The former world number 27, now ranked #157 in the world in singles, was delighted to be back on form.

"I am very happy that I can get a result like this when I come back," the 24-year-old Australian said. "When you do step away for a long time and you can't do what you want to do, I guess you certainly appreciate it more."

After an early exchange of breaks, Stosur won the first-set tiebreak 7/3.

The 17-year-old Wozniacki, who beat top seed Svetlana Kuznetsova in the second round here and was Wimbledon junior-champion two years ago, failed to capitalise on three break-points early in the second set.

Wozniacki, who twice exercised her right to consult her coach at changeovers, gave away a break-point at 4-4 with a double fault. Stosur converted it with a backhand winner, and served out for the match.

The Australian will have a Russian semi-final opponent on Friday: either eighth seed Nadia Petrova or qualifier Ekaterina Makarova.
<<<

Bartoli takes aim at Wimbledon with semi-final spot (AFP)
>>>
The 2007 Wimbledon-finalist Marion Bartoli moved closer to another shot at success on grass as she reached the semi-final of the Eastbourne Championships here on Thursday.

The Geneva-based Bartoli dominated Russian qualifier Alisa Kleybanova 6-3 6-3 as a run of poor form this season faded away for the Frenchwoman this week.

"I'm feeling like I did last year," said the delighted second seed. "I've suddenly been energised; I'm able to play my game. I think I'm on the right way again."

The top half of the draw will pit Russia's Nadia Petrova against Australian Samantha Stosur in what both expect to be a serve-and-volley struggle.

Bartoli, who has had repeated injury, hard luck and poor results this season after playing the All-England club final against Venus Williams, snapped a four-match loss-streak at Devonshire Park.

The 23-year-old, competing here for the fifth time, has suddenly found her game, and aims to advance as she faces off on Friday against Agnieszka Radwańska after the Polish fourth seed beat Argentine Gisela Dulko 7-5 7-5.

The pre-Wimbledon event on the south coast could be just the lift Bartoli needs as she makes improvements to a 10:14 record this season. The winner of three WTA titles lifted them all in 2006, and feels ready for a return to success.

She said the the trademark wind at Eastbourne made victory a challenge. "It's always windy here, but it's the same for both; you just have to find a way to win.

"You won't play well anyway, but you find a way. I led 5-0 and she came back to 5-3; I had to keep fighting."

Petrova duplicated her final-four showing from 2007 with a defeat of compatriot Ekaterina Makarova 6-4 6-3 in bright sunlight but swirling seaside wind.

But she aims to go one better against Stosur after retiring a year ago with a right-pectoral strain against Amélie Mauresmo at the semi-final stage.

Stosur, back on court after more than half a year out due to illness, stretched her comeback from viral meningitis and Lyme's disease in a 7-6 (7/3) 6-4 win over teenaged Dane Caroline Wozniacki.

"It's tough to play in this wind, but I'm playing good tennis," said Petrova, winner of seven titles but none on grass. "I'm feeling better and better with my game.

"I'm fit and pleased to be in the semi-finals again. Both of us like grass-tennis, and I expect an aggressive and attacking match."

Stosur owns 22 doubles-titles, but has stalled three times in WTA singles-finals.

"I'm really happy with this; my coach thinks I'll be back inside the top 100 soon," said the 24-year-old from Queensland's Gold Coast.

"Two months ago, I was playing a semi-final at a $75,000 event, and now I'm in the semis here. I'm happy I can get result like this so quickly."
<<<

Semis Set in Eastbourne
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1...ContentID=2357
>>>
While No.1 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova and No.3 seed Vera Zvonarëva may have been sent to the sidelines in their opening matches, No.2 seed Marion Bartoli and No.4 seed Agnieszka Radwańska continued to fly the flag for the favourites at the International Women's Open on Thursday, not dropping a set to their challengers, and setting up an intriguing semi-final match-up.

Bartoli was the first of the two to advance to the semi-finals, notching a 6-3 6-3 win over qualifier Alisa Kleybanova in an hour and 18 minutes. While she did give up her serve once late in the first set, Bartoli broke the young Russian a total of four times in the match with her pinpoint two-fisted groundstrokes, which seem to be finding their best range for the first time since her run to the Wimbledon-final almost a year ago.

Radwańska's second-round match was suspended due to darkness on Wednesday evening after she split sets with Virginie Razzano, and on Thursday, she not only completed the 3-6 6-3 6-4 victory over the talented Frenchwoman, she also won her quarter-final match against Gisela Dulko in a tight two-setter: 7-5 7-5.

"I am very happy about my matches today, and that I made it to the semi-finals here," Radwańska said. "With the third set, I had to finish this morning, I basically had two matches. The conditions were pretty hard with the wind, but it's a very good field here, and there are no easy matches anyway. Gisela played very well, especially considering grass is not her best surface. On top of it all, these were my first two matches on grass this year, so it was challenging, but I adjusted."

Radwańska won her only previous meeting with Bartoli: at Stuttgart last fall. She had to fight back from a first-set blowout to prevail, though, winning 0-6 6-2 6-1.

"The match against Marion will be very difficult. I won the last time we played - a couple of months ago - but it was on hard court, and she has shown this week and last year at Wimbledon that she plays really well on grass. So it will be difficult."

Eighth seed Nadia Petrova and Samantha Stosur will duke it out in the other semi-final, after Petrova notched a 6-4 6-3 win over qualifier Ekaterina Makarova, and Stosur edged Danish phenom Caroline Wozniacki 7-6(3) 6-4. Petrova has won their two previous meetings in straight sets, although both were on hard.

Of the four semi-finalists, only Radwańska has been to a WTA Tour singles-final already this year. She has done so twice already in fact, capturing titles at Pattaya City and İstanbul.
<<<

No sign of injury as Bartoli reaches semi-final
http://www.lta.org.uk/News/All-news-...es-semi-final/
>>>
On a sunny Thursday at Eastbourne's Devonshire Park, the No.2 seed, Marion Bartoli, stormed into the International Women's Open semi-final with a dominating display of power and precision from the back of the court. The world No.11, who was the 2007 runner-up at The Championships, Wimbledon, defeated qualifier Alisa Kleybanova 6-3 6-3 in 78 minutes.

Played on a wind-swept Centre Court in front of a near-capacity crowd, Bartoli never looked in trouble as she faced just one break-point and notched six aces against her Russian opponent. The 23-year-old Frenchwoman, who is double-handed on both sides, will be vying to improve on last year's performance, when she lost against Justine Henin in the final four.

Bartoli said: "My game is well-suited to grass, because I take the ball early and hit it flatter than most players, which gives me a better chance of putting it away. I've been practising every day, and I feel like my energy has come back. If I keep going and playing like this, then I think I'll have a great chance of making the final."

In Friday's semi-final, Bartoli will meet the Polish No.4 seed, Agnieszka Radwańska, who defeated Argentinean Gisela Dulko 6-3 6-4 in the last quarter-final of the day. Ranked No.14 in the world, the 19-year-old right-hander is chasing her third WTA Tour title of 2008, having already claimed victories in Pattaya City and İstanbul.

Radwańska said: "I'm very happy about my matches today, and that I made it to the semi-final here at Eastbourne. I believe this is only my second semi-final at such a big tournament. The conditions were pretty hard today with the wind, but it is just a very good field here, and there are no easy matches.

Radwańska continued: "The match tomorrow against Marion will be very difficult. I won the last time we played a couple of months ago, but that was on a hard court, and she has shown this week and last year at Wimbledon that she plays really well on grass. So it will be difficult... but let's see."

In the top half of the draw, Sam Stosur saw off Danish teenager Caroline Wozniacki 7-6(3) 6-4 in a high-quality match. The Australian 24-year-old, who is fighting back from both injury and illness, won the doubles-title in Eastbourne last year with American Lisa Raymond.

Stosur said: "I'm heading in the right direction. I'm not there yet, but I'm definitely improving out there. I've been trying to get as many matches as I can, and just worry about my own game and trying to improve it. If that matches up with my opponent's weaknesses and I win then that's great, but I've never won a [singles] tournament before, so it's not like I am expecting to do that every week."

Completing the list of semi-finalists is Nadia Petrova, who defeated fellow Russian Ekaterina Makarova 6-4 6-3 in another 78-minute match. Ranked No.22 in the world, the 2007 Eastbourne semi-finalist fired six aces and broke serve four times en route to meeting Stosur on Friday.

Petrova said: "It feels good to be out there, and I feel like I'm getting more used to the grass with each match. I'm very pleased with my performance so far, but tomorrow is a completely different day."
<<<

5. Eastbourne Cup: Quarter-finals

Nice winner, nice loser:
+ Alizé Cornet d. Monica Niculescu [s], 6-4 6-1

Nice winners:
+ Urszula Radwańska d. Alla Kudryavtseva, 2 sets to 0
+ Ioana Raluca Olaru d. Nathalie Dechy, walkover

Urszula's win was sweet revenge for a loss to Kudryavtseva in the first round of qualifying for the main tournament!

Not so nice:
- Edina Gallovits lt. Bethanie Mattek, 0 sets to 2

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

Last edited by andrewbroad : Sep 27th, 2008 at 11:09 PM. Reason: to fix a couple of typos
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #5
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

Andrew's TV-report for Friday

Contents
--------

1. Semi-final results
2. Semi-final TV-report: Bartoli v Radwańska
3. Articles
4. Eastbourne Cup
5. International Junior Event

---------------------
1. Semi-final results (Friday 20th June)
---------------------

- MARION BARTOLI [2,DF,S] lt. AGNIESZKA RADWAŃSKA [4], 5-7 3-6
- Samantha Stosur lt. NADIA PETROVA [8], 3-6 3-6

I have no interest in reporting on the final (Radwańska d. Petrova 6-4 6-7 (11/13) 6-4), so this is my last report for Eastbourne 2008.

--------------------------------------------
2. Semi-final TV-report: Bartoli v Radwańska
--------------------------------------------

- MARION BARTOLI [2,DF,S] lt. AGNIESZKA RADWAŃSKA [4], 5-7 3-6

The match started at 15:04 BST, and I saw it on BBCi up to the rain-delay at 3-3* (Deuce #3 after Marion squandered four break-points) in the first set.

First set
---------
BARTOLI _* * * 3
RADWAŃS * * *_ 3

Radwańska serving 0-0: Marion forehand long. 15/0. Marion crosscourt backhand return-winner. 15/15. Service-winner out wide. 30/15. Crosscourt backhand return just wide. 40/15. Radwańska sprayed a wild crosscourt backhand wide on the third stroke. 40/30. Radwańska off-backhand winner into the corner.

No invincible start for Marion today.

Marion serving 0-1: Service-winner. 15/0. Backhand return long. 30/0. Radwańska netted a forehand. 40/0. Marion on the third stroke netted a crosscourt backhand. 40/15. Radwańska forehand return-winner down the line. 40/30. Serve + error-forcing crosscourt forehand.

Marion says she does well on grass because she hits the ball flatter and earlier than most of her opponents, and low over the net.

Radwańska serving 1-1: Radwańska's deep approach forced Marion to net a backhand. 15/0. Marion's deep return down the middle forced Radwańska to net a backhand. 15/15. Marion netted a forehand. 30/15. Radwańska forehand netcord-winner. 40/15. Marion crosscourt forehand wide off a deep ball from Radwańska.

Marion serving 1-2: Service-winner. 15/0. Double fault (second serve just long). 15/15. Marion came to the net and after a couple of volleys, hit an off-forehand volley-winner. 30/15. Double fault #2 (second serve just long). 30/30. Marion backhand winner down the line, back behind Radwańska. 40/30. In a crowd-pleasing rally, Marion ran down a dropshot and hit a short-angled crosscourt backhand winner - amazing angles from both.

Radwańska serving 2-2: Marion ran down a dropshot but hit a crosscourt backhand wide. 15/0. Marion dumped a forehand into the net off a short ball. 30/0. Ace #1: down the middle. 40/0. An intriguing rally ended with Radwańska hitting a short-angled crosscourt forehand winner onto the sideline, but Marion did really well to retrieve a good serve down the middle with a lob-return onto the baseline, and also hit a pinpoint backhand down the line onto the sideline in that rally.

Marion serving 2-3: Marion crosscourt forehand volley-winner. Virginia Wade: "Really logical tennis - real construction." 15/0. Marion high forehand drive-volley winner crosscourt. 30/0. Serve + forehand volley-winner down the line. 40/0. Radwańska off-forehand just wide.

Radwańska serving 3-3: Marion cleaned the sideline with a short-angled crosscourt backhand winner. 0/15. Radwańska crosscourt backhand wide. 0/30. Radwańska, stretched wide by a crosscourt forehand return just inside the sideline, chopped a forehand into the net. 0/40 (BP). Marion netted a crosscourt backhand return. 15/40 (BP #2). Marion down-the-line backhand wide. 30/40 (BP #3). Marion netted a crosscourt backhand off a low ball from Radwańska. 40/40. Marion backhand just long. Ad Radwańska. She hit a forehand long. David Mercer: "It's as if she thought, 'Okay, I'm fine now.'" Deuce #2. Marion crosscourt backhand winner just inside the sideline. Ad Marion (BP #4). Radwańska saved it with a backhand winner down the line. Deuce #3. It started to rain again (the first semi-final had suffered two rain-delays), the umpire checked the court at 15:28, and the players sat down by the uncovered court. After a few minutes, play was officially suspended and the court was covered.

BBCi switched to showing football-highlights, and continued to do so when play resumed and the match was completed! :-||

-----------
3. Articles
-----------

Petrova and Radwańska reach Eastbourne final (AP)
>>>
Nadia Petrova defeated Samantha Stosur 6-3 6-3 on Friday to reach the final of the Eastbourne International Women's Open.

The eighth-seeded Russian will face fourth-seeded Agnieszka Radwańska, who upset No.2 Marion Bartoli 7-5 6-3.

Petrova will appear in her first final since August in Los Angeles. She is seeking her first title since winning the Paris indoor event in February 2007. She has struggled much of this year, losing her opening match in seven of 11 tournaments.

The match was delayed by rain and interrupted at 3-3 in the first set. When play restarted, Petrova broke when she forced an error with a strong service-return before another 30-minute rain-delay.

In the second set, Petrova fought off two break-points in the opening game, and again at 3-3 before breaking Stosur at love. She clinched the win with her fourth ace.

Petrova credited her serve and willingness to come to the net for the victory.

"If you want to win on this surface, you've got to play this kind of game," Petrova said. "With my serve and my volleys, I should be going to the net much more often. But it's coming, it's on the way... I have titles on every surface except grass, so that would be a very nice achievement for me."

Radwańska benefitted from Bartoli's seven double faults, but had to withstand some early pressure.

The Pole faced four break-points at 3-3 before rain forced the players off court for 70 minutes. Bartoli then held two set-points at 5-4 before Radwańska earned the only break when Bartoli double-faulted.

In the second set, Bartoli broke to go up 1-0, but Radwańska swept the next four games. Although Bartoli claimed another break in the sixth game, she dropped her serve with a seventh double fault to leave Radwańska serving for victory.

Radwańska will be bidding for her third title of the year after winning in Pattaya and İstanbul.
<<<

Radwańska to play Petrova in Eastbourne-final (Reuters)
By Clare Fallon (editing by Pritha Sarkar)
>>>
Poland's Agnieszka Radwańska beat second seed Marion Bartoli 7-5 6-3 in a hard-fought match to join Nadia Petrova in the final of the Eastbourne International tournament on Friday.

Russian Petrova, the eighth seed, produced a storming finish to defeat Australian Samantha Stosur 6-3 6-3 in the first semi-final at the $600,000 grasscourt-tournament.

The fourth-seeded Radwańska should provide an interesting opponent for Petrova on Saturday after coming back from a set down to beat the Russian in the fourth round of the Australian Open in January.

France's Bartoli was Wimbledon runner-up last year, but has been struggling with tendinitis in her wrist in recent weeks, and had problems with her first serve on Friday.

At the end of a first set interrupted for just over an hour by rain on a chilly day at the English seaside, she double-faulted on Radwańska's fourth set-point. Ever the fighter, Bartoli broke her opponent at the start of the second set, but was broken back straight away.

After another exchange of breaks, she again double-faulted on the third break-point of the eighth game. Though Bartoli saved one match-point in the following game with a crosscourt winner, Radwańska took victory with a winning volley.

Radwańska, 19, said Bartoli's flat, low shots made her a difficult opponent. "I was playing on my knees all the time, so it was very hard," she told a news-conference.

Bartoli said she had failed to make the most of her chances, but was happy with her game. "Even when you play well, sometimes you lose," she said.

RAIN-DISRUPTION

Petrova surrendered only two points in the final two games against doubles-specialist Stosur, and finished off with a thundering ace.

"That was a boom-boom ending," she told a courtside interviewer. "I am very happy that we had the new balls, and it really helped me to finish off in a beautiful way."

Rain twice halted the first set. The second suspension came immediately after Petrova had broken Stosur to lead 4-3, and seemed to unsettle the Australian.

When the match resumed, Stosur, who returned to tennis in April after seven months out with serious illness, earned only one point in the next two games, and surrendered the set on another break.

Petrova, a semi-finalist here last year before having to pull out with injury, began making errors at the start of the second set, and had to save two break-points in the first game.

Luckily for her, Stosur, who has won 22 doubles-titles but none in singles, was even more error-prone and failed to convert two more break-points in the seventh game.

Petrova has won seven WTA Tour titles, but has yet to triumph on grass. "It is one of my goals to have titles on all surfaces," she said.
<<<

Radwańska sets up Petrova Eastbourne title-clash (AFP)
>>>
Poland's Agnieszka Radwańska denied 2007 Wimbledon finalist Marion Bartoli a second career-final on grass with a 7-5 6-3 victory at the Eastbourne Championships on Friday.

Second-seeded Frenchwoman Bartoli, beaten in last summer's title-match at the All-England club by Venus Williams, failed in her bid to fine-tune for the season's third Grand Slam starting on Monday.

Radwańska, who won the Pattaya- and İstanbul-titles this year, will aim to complete a 2008 hat-trick when she faces Russian eighth seed Nadia Petrova, who defeated Samantha Stosur 6-3 6-3.

"She played tough at the Australian Open," Radwańska said of her fourth-round win in January over the Russian after rallying from 6-2 3-0 love down to turn the tide for victory.

"I don't know how she's playing on this surface, but I'm sure it will be a difficult final. I'm just glad to be in my first final on grass.

"I thought that I would play just one match here and then go to Wimbledon. This is a great warm-up, and I want to keep doing well."

Bartoli was felled by seven double faults and five breaks of serve. All but one of the 13 break-points she faced came in the second set.

Petrova had a poor start to the season, and is keen to make an impression before the Wimbledon-start.

"I realise that I now have a great chance to finally win a title on grass," said the holder of seven WTA titles on all other surfaces.

"But it's really looking good for me now; I'd love to get a victory on grass."

Petrova notched her third win over Australia's Stosur, who missed more than half a year with illness from the US Open in September.

"I felt absolutely fine today; it was tough match. I knew would not be easy," said the winner.

"Whomever today would lose serve first would give away the match - I had to stay concentrated. It was really a battle of serve and I managed to win it."
<<<

Radwańska, Petrova Move Into Eastbourne-Final
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1...ContentID=2360
>>>
Four players with a penchant for grass made the semi-finals of the International Women's Open this week, and on Friday, two of them moved into the final, with Agnieszka Radwańska and Nadia Petrova squaring off on Saturday for the Tier II WTA Tour title.

Eighth seed Petrova was the first to advance to the title-match, stopping the surprise-run of Samantha Stosur with a 6-3 6-3 victory. Both sets began with the two players holding serve through 3-3, but each time it was Petrova who broke away, reeling off three games in a row at each critical juncture en route to the one-hour, 19-minute victory: her third win in the pair's three career-meetings (she won their first two by similar scorelines: 6-2 6-2 at the 2004 US Open and 6-1 6-3 at 2006 Linz).

Fourth seed Radwańska earned a tougher 7-5 6-3 victory over No.2 seed Marion Bartoli in the second semi-final of the day. Radwańska snatched the first break of the match in the last game of the first set, and raced out to a 4-1 lead in the second set; it looked as though Bartoli was building something of a comeback as she closed the gap to 4-3 and was two points away from tying it at 4-4, but the Polish No.1 held on for a one-hour, 33-minute victory.
<<<

Petrova and Radwańska face off in Eastbourne-final
http://www.lta.org.uk/News/All-news-...tbourne-final/
>>>
Tennis-fans were treated to a serve-volley spectacle on Day 5 of the International Women's Open, both semi-finals decided with thrilling displays of traditional grass-court tennis.

The net isn't Nadia Petrova's natural habitat, but the tall Russian looked completely at home there in her semi-final against Australian Sam Stosur, claiming their contest 6-3 6-3.

Stosur, the more natural serve-volleyer of the pair, was stunned by some big serving from 26-year-Petrova, the tall Russian firing down five aces and making 82% of first serves during their one hour, 19 minute contest.

"Today's match was a battle of the serves, and I knew whoever got the first break would win the match, so I paid a lot of attention to my serve today, and really had to concentrate out there to make the most of my returns," said Petrova.

Following the match, she laughed about her new-found prowess with the volley. "It's really fun, and there's no other way to play if you want to win on grass; you have to serve and volley," Petrova said. "I like the net more now, and with my serve, I should be trying to get there as much as possible."

Stosur was philosophical about her semi-final loss. "It was frustrating that I couldn't do exactly what I wanted to do today, but it was great to get to the semi," said the 24-year-old, playing under a protected ranking at Eastbourne after a viral illness sidelined her for much of 2007.

And she said she was cautiously optimistic about her prospects at Wimbledon off the back of her grass-court form in the build-up. "It's a completely different scenario playing at Wimbledon, and every match there will be tough.

"You definitely feel a bit more nervous playing at Wimbledon, and I'll be focusing my first match against [Ioana Raluca] Olaru for the next couple of days. I just hope I can go out there and replicate some of what I've done here this week."

World No.22 and tournament No.8 seed, Petrova, will face Agnieszka Radwańska in Saturday's final, the 19-year-old Polish woman defeating No.2 seed Marion Bartoli in a net-charging extravaganza that lasted one hour and 33 minutes, 7-5 6-3.

Radwańska coped brilliantly with Bartoli's net-rushing game-plan, even taking a step back on serve as the Frenchwoman returned serve closer and closer to the service-line.

"It's her game, whether she plays on grass or somewhere else, so I concentrated on serving into her body - not to her racquet - and it worked today," said Radwańska, who wasn't afraid to come to the net, and demonstrated her own impressive volleying-skills when the situation called for it.

"She's very powerful and very flexible and hits every ball low, so I was hitting my volleys on my knees, but I expected that from her game, so I just adapted to it," said the No.4 seed.

Despite heavy, rain-delayed conditions, there was no sign of the wrist-injury that hampered Bartoli last week in Birmingham, and the 23-year-old was positive about next week's All-England Club campaign.

"Even if you play well, you can sometimes lose," she said after the match. "I'm confident about my game, and I am sure I will do well at Wimbledon if I keep playing like I have here this week."

Radwańska, who will be playing her first WTA Tour Tier II final on Saturday, said she is ready to go one better in Eastbourne this week.

"I only expected to play one match here and then go to Wimbledon, so I am very happy to have won three matches, and I feel ready to win this title," said the world No.14, who holds a 1:0 win-loss record over Petrova, having claimed victory in their fourth-round encounter at the Australian Open in January: 1-6 7-5 6-0.
<<<

-----------------
4. Eastbourne Cup
-----------------
Semi-finals
-----------

What rocked:
+ Alizé Cornet d. Urszula Radwańska, 6-2 6-3

What sucked:
- Ioana Raluca Olaru lt. Bethanie Mattek, 0 sets to 2

Final
-----

+ Alizé Cornet d. Bethanie Mattek, walkover

5. International Junior Event

The only information I have managed to extract about the junior-event since I left Eastbourne on Wednesday (when it was still at the round-robin stage) is the following:

Final: Laura Robson d. Anna Orlik, 6-1 6-4
3rd-place play-off: Stephanie Cornish v Jessy Rompies
5th-place play-off: Jade Curtis v Jade Windley
7th-place play-off: Coco Vandeweghe v Elena Bogdan
9th-place play-off: Heather Watson v Nadia Lalami
11th-place play-off: Noppawan Lertcheewakarn v Vicky Brook

Robson wins junior-event at Eastbourne
http://www.lta.org.uk/News/All-news-...in-Eastbourne/
>>>
Laura Robson, who is ranked No.57 in the ITF junior world-rankings, won the International Junior Event at Eastbourne on Friday. Played on Devonshire Park's No.1 Court, the 14-year-old defeated Belarusian Anna Orlik 6-1 6-4 in the final.

Robson has enjoyed a fantastic year on the ITF junior-circuit, having reached a Grade 1 singles-final and Grade A doubles-final in May – both in Italy. In December, the left-hander also won the prestigious 14 & under Eddie Herr International event in Florida.

Two groups of six girls competed in the invitational grass-court event, which began on Tuesday. A round-robin format was adopted for the first three days, with the winners of each group - Robson and Orlik - competing for the title on Friday.

Along with Robson, the remaining Brits - Jade Curtis, Jade Windley, Heather Watson, Vicky Brook and Steph Cornish - were joined in the draw by six world-class juniors from around the world.
<<<

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

Last edited by andrewbroad : Sep 28th, 2008 at 09:57 PM.