The Williams recent success is due to the retirement/sidelining of their major rivals - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #1
country flag chuvack

chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future
The Williams recent success is due to the retirement/sidelining of their major rivals

I dont want to show a disrespect for 2008 Wimbledon and USOpen performances of Serena and Venus. They won the trophies fair and fair. However, the WTA is in a truly awful state. Take a look at the condition of the former rivals and supposed up-and-coming challengers and tell me the Williams arent beneficiaries:

Kim Clijsters: Quit the WTA at age 23
Justine Henin: Quit the WTA at age 25 (after owning Williams in '07)
Masha Sharapova: 2008 has been a non-year for her after Aus Open
Ana Ivanovic: Played like average Top 30 player at Wimby/USO
Amelie Mauresmo: Satisfied & complacent with her 2 GS in '06
Nicole Vaidisova: Supposed next WTA big star is a train wreck
Tati Golovin: Repeated injuries destroy her chances to be top player
Sveta Kuznetsova: Appears simply not to give a damn
Jelena Jankovic: The weakest #1 player in the history of pro tennis
Anna Chakvetadze: Her 2007 successes now appear simply a fluke
Martina Hingis: Her comeback had potential but ended with a thud

not to mention smaller scale disasters of players once touted as the "future of womens tennis" like Shahar Peer, Sania Mirza, Michaella Krajicek, Tamira Paszek, Lucie Safarova, etc. If the WTA was in any kind of normal shape I doubt the Williams would be able to winning GS titles, except maybe at Wimby. Safina and Dementieva are really the only players this year performing up to standard, but both suffer from serious built-in weaknesses that kept them from winning a GS this year.

Last edited by chuvack : Sep 11th, 2008 at 08:39 AM.
chuvack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Miss Atomic Bomb
Legendary

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Williams recent success is due to the retirement/sidelining of their major ri

Funniest thread of the year..

ps:- Just for the note, WS >>>>>>>> all the people you mentioned COMBINED

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #3
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Williams recent success is due to the retirement/sidelining of their major ri

Maybe..but the funny thing is: Those rival were supposed to outlast the sisters.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #4
country flag Josh.
Jumpin' on

Josh. has a reputation beyond repute Josh. has a reputation beyond repute Josh. has a reputation beyond repute Josh. has a reputation beyond repute Josh. has a reputation beyond repute Josh. has a reputation beyond repute Josh. has a reputation beyond repute Josh. has a reputation beyond repute Josh. has a reputation beyond repute Josh. has a reputation beyond repute Josh. has a reputation beyond repute

Great OP.
Josh. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #5
country flag chuvack

chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future chuvack has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Maybe..but the funny thing is: Those rival were supposed to outlast the sisters.

that's my point. The whole tour has crumbled apart, both the old and young generations. It's absolutley scary what has happened to the WTA in the last few years.
chuvack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #6
country flag LudwigDvorak
Rainbowingis.

LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuvack View Post
Safina and Dementieva are really the only players this year performing up to standard, but both suffer from serious built-in weaknesses that kept them from winning a GS this year.
I'd say Safina is overperforming. That's all I want to add.
LudwigDvorak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #7
country flag Wojtek

Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute

WTA sucks this days so much but they were the best at Wimbledon and Us Open. I just don't see better player at Wimbledon then Williams and Serena was too good in NY.

Probably Venus or Serena would win Wimbledon anyway but i don't think Serena would win Us Open with Clijsters, Henin, Sharapova and Mauresmo in top form.
Wojtek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #8
country flag Lunaris
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute

I was waiting for this thread to appear. In fact I was tempted to start one, just to see the havoc it would cause.
Lunaris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #9
country flag Apoorv

Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Williams sisters have benefited esp since Henin's game evaporated between Nov. 2007 and Jan 2008 and she retired eventually. A Justine and Serena rivalry would have kept WTA alive. May be ivanovic would not have become no. 1 and would not have lost the confidence.

Sania Mirza

Elena Dementieva

Apoorv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #10
country flag Hardiansf

Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post
WTA sucks this days so much but they were the best at Wimbledon and Us Open. I just don't see better player at Wimbledon then Williams and Serena was too good in NY.

Probably Venus or Serena would win Wimbledon anyway but i don't think Serena would win Us Open with Clijsters, Henin, Sharapova and Mauresmo in top form.
Can you imagine what will happen if Williams Sisters always in top form?
Miss you Monica Wynne Angie Anna Chakvy Marion
Good luck also : Svetlana Li Na
Hardiansf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #11
country flag markhingis

markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of

I think only Henin could withstand Williams sisters. Other players depending on their days on and Williamses off.

Aga Radwańska * MARTA DOMACHOWSKA * Ula Radwańska
Martina Hingis - U R always on my mind
markhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #12
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Were winning before, during and after..
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #13
country flag Wojtek

Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardiansf View Post
Can you imagine what will happen if Williams Sisters always in top form?
Yes great tennis. Henin, Clijsters, Sharapova, Mauremso in top form = classic matches.
Wojtek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #14
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute

considering how Serena just absolutely PWND Henin in Miami, I seriously doubt Juju wanted to See Serena on another hardcourt, but you know what, I'll give you the whole Serena thing and Henin not being around, cause no one can argue with how Juju PWND Serena last year at the slams, so..., "sauce for the goose," so to speak. VENUS, however, makes your claim look ridiculous, at least as far as Wimby is concerned. Venus has OWNED Wimby no matter who the comer. When she didn't she was injured or grieving. So, your claim holds no water when it comes to Vee and Wimby.
DOUBLEFIST is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #15
country flag Aaron.
She's coming for your faves wigs

Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute

Serena and Venus win a major 2 seasons in a row and some people think about how weak the Womens game is dead.

Shut up for once the WS are champions stop acting like they are scrubs and cant win anything if thier rivals are playing
Aaron. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote