Should tennis players suck at ping pong? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #1
country flag Donatello

Donatello is a name known to all Donatello is a name known to all Donatello is a name known to all Donatello is a name known to all Donatello is a name known to all Donatello is a name known to all Donatello is a name known to all Donatello is a name known to all Donatello is a name known to all Donatello is a name known to all Donatello is a name known to all
Should tennis players suck at ping pong?

I mean, the timing of the ball in the hitting zone should be almost the same as in field tennis, although in this clip Maria is playing defensively, not going full swing on slow balls like she normally does.

Maria vs. Ellen

Also take a look at Andy Murray, he's pretty good. And swinging freely.

Andy vs. friend

Advertisement

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #2
country flag saint2

saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should tennis players suck at ping pong?

Maria has no clue about playing ping pong
saint2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #3
country flag Lunaris
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is that table tennis negatively influences technique in tennis and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2 View Post
Maria has no clue about playing ping pong
Nor does that woman she plays against in the clip.
Lunaris is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #4
country flag Kampi

Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaris View Post
My experience is that table tennis negatively influences technique in tennis and vice versa.

Nor does that woman she plays against in the clip.
Well, can be, but as someone who played tabletennis for about 18 years and tennis for about 12 years, I often noticed that a good tabletennis player has some good touch and can easily learn how to stroke and especially how to put a lot of spin inside the ball, because you are extremely used to do a lot of things out of your wrist. Something which is absolutely vital as a tabletennis player. A tennisplayer who never really plays tabletennis has a problem with the "touch" you need in tabletennis. Especially the touch out of the wrist. But one thing is clear.....you should really avoid to train tennis/tabletennis just before you have a competition in the other sport. But my experience is that it is much worse as a tabletennis player when you train tennis before an important match. Your touch will easily suffer.

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Australia, in France, in Great Britain and in the United States, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence (mental) and growing strength (physical) in the air (serve and volley), we shall defend our lovely Island (Jelena), whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches (clay-courts), we shall fight on the landing grounds (hard-courts), we shall fight in the fields (grass-courts) and in the streets (WTAworld), we shall fight in the hills(reaching the top) we shall and we will never surrender.“ GO JJ.........AMEN

Last edited by Kampi : Sep 10th, 2008 at 08:02 AM.
Kampi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #5
country flag rockstar

rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampi View Post
Well, can be, but as someone who played tabletennis for about 18 years and tennis for about 12 years, I often noticed that a good tabletennis player has some good touch and can easily learn how to stroke and especially how to put a lot of spin inside the ball, because you are extremely used to do a lot of things out of your wrist. Something which is absolutely vital as a tabletennis player. A tennisplayer who never really plays tabletennis has a problem with the "touch" you need in tabletennis. Especially the touch out of the wrist. But one thing is clear.....you should really avoid to train tennis/tabletennis just before you have a competition in the other sport. But my experience is that it is much worse as a tabletennis player when you train tennis before an important match. Your touch will easily suffer.
yeah i agree, i've played tennis with table tennis players and noticed they have very good touch, cos table tennis is alot more about slices. they also seem to have pretty good reflex at the net, cos table tennis is a really fast game.

JELENA JANKOVIC - CAROLINE WOZNIACKI
rockstar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #6
country flag Meteor Shower

Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute

My table tennis and tennis lessons used to be on the same day.
Fortunately, table tennis was first and 4-5 hours later tennis was, so the transition was pretty easy.
I think it would have been harder if it was the other way around.

******** Survivor
Meteor Shower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #7
country flag Kampi

Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar View Post
yeah i agree, i've played tennis with table tennis players and noticed they have very good touch, cos table tennis is alot more about slices. they also seem to have pretty good reflex at the net, cos table tennis is a really fast game.
Yeah, totally with you. In some ways the slice in tennis is comparable to the one you play in tabletennis, especially when you use it as a very defensive kind of stroke when you are playing far behind the table. Take a close look at an all-defensive tabletennis player. I would say it is close to a stop in tennis. And that's something all tabletennis players are able to play or should be able to play, haha. And the reason is nearly the same....to slow down the rally and play with massive undercut. And as an offensive player it is really hard work to play against a very good defensive player. Especially the negative kind of spin is sometimes out of this world. You have to hit the ball very early and you must also "read" the kind of spin. Otherwise you will have a lot of trouble, especially when your opponent plays with different rubber materials and tries to attack with heavy spin when you are not pushing him hard enough. It is all about rhythm.

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Australia, in France, in Great Britain and in the United States, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence (mental) and growing strength (physical) in the air (serve and volley), we shall defend our lovely Island (Jelena), whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches (clay-courts), we shall fight on the landing grounds (hard-courts), we shall fight in the fields (grass-courts) and in the streets (WTAworld), we shall fight in the hills(reaching the top) we shall and we will never surrender.“ GO JJ.........AMEN

Last edited by Kampi : Sep 10th, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #8
country flag Harvs

Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute

i play pingpong like tennis its funnnn... BIG backswings
Harvs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #9
country flag brent-o

brent-o has much to be proud of brent-o has much to be proud of brent-o has much to be proud of brent-o has much to be proud of brent-o has much to be proud of brent-o has much to be proud of brent-o has much to be proud of brent-o has much to be proud of brent-o has much to be proud of brent-o has much to be proud of brent-o has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...[Harvs]... View Post
i play pingpong like tennis its funnnn... BIG backswings
haha me too. When my sister and I play, we usually loop the ball a lot and try to win tactically rather than slamming the ball past each other. We even volley sometimes, which probably isn't allowed in real table tennis. My slice in table tennis is killer, too.
brent-o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #10
country flag Lin Lin

Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I love the video, but I think Sharapova plays quite good considering she rarely plays table tennis. Actually, my grandma,69, can compete with her in terms of her table tennis level.
Lin Lin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #11
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is reflected in the Andy Murray clip where both sports complement each other and it's easy to be good at both. You'll notice Murray generates a lot of forehand top-spin.
pov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #12
country flag hankqq

hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute

you know what's funny? A couple years ago Monfils randomly entered a table tennis tournament that was being held near the Las Vegas tennis tournament he was also playing. Guess what? Monfils won the table tennis event!
hankqq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #13
country flag Apoleb

Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute

No they don't. I think table tennis players have a much harder time adjusting to tennis than the other way around. I know tennis players tend to have a natural feel to table tennis. Copying their stroke for tt is usually good enough for them to be very consistent. Of course if they do want to it to the next level, they need to change their stroke technique.
Apoleb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #14
country flag Kampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankqq View Post
you know what's funny? A couple years ago Monfils randomly entered a table tennis tournament that was being held near the Las Vegas tennis tournament he was also playing. Guess what? Monfils won the table tennis event!
Either he seriously trained tabletennis in the past, or everybody sucked BIG at the event. Seriously, there is no way that a tennis pro can win out of nowhere when he/she never seriously trained tt, against a trained tabletennis player and I mean normal club players and not semi or pro level players.

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #15
country flag IMPOSSIBLE
. . .

IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute

Sofia Arvidsson was national champion in both tennis and table tennis...

♠ Check Out > Sofia-Arvidsson.webs.com

♠ Follow > Sofia Arvidsson Twitter Fans
IMPOSSIBLE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote