Lance Armstrong Is Coming Back - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #1
country flag woosey

woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Lance Armstrong Is Coming Back

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/sp...gewanted=print

September 10, 2008
Armstrong Confirms Comeback Plan
By JULIET MACUR

After more than three years out of professional cycling, Lance Armstrong — the cancer survivor and seven-time Tour de France winner — announced Tuesday that he would emerge from retirement and climb back onto his bike.

In an e-mailed statement, Armstrong said he had discussed his comeback with his family and friends and decided to go ahead with it in order to “raise awareness of the global cancer burden.”

Armstrong, who turns 37 next week, did not explain his specific plans to compete again on an elite level, saying he would discuss his strategy at the Clinton Global Initiative on Sept. 24 in New York City.

He did not mention any possible team affiliations, but an article published Monday on the Web site of VeloNews, a prominent cycling publication, said Armstrong would join the Astana team next year. Johan Bruyneel, Armstrong’s former team manager, is the team manager of Astana.

The VeloNews story, citing “sources familiar with the developing situation,” said Armstrong will compete in five road races, including the Tour de France. The other events are the Amgen Tour of California, Paris-Nice, the Tour de Georgia and the Dauphiné Libéré.

In an article published Tuesday on the Web site of the magazine Vanity Fair, Armstrong discussed his comeback. He said he would contact President Nicolas Sarkozy of France to plead his case for an entry in the Tour de France if, “for some strange reason” the Amaury Sport Organization, which owns the Tour de France, does not give him and his team an entry into the race.

Armstrong said racing in the Leadville Trail 100, a 100-mile mountain bike race in August, spurred his interest in returning to the sport. In the Vanity Fair article, Armstrong said the Olympic triumphs of older athletes like the 41-year-old swimmer Dara Torres and the 38-year-old marathoner Constantina Tomescu-Dita showed him that it would be possible for him to return to racing even stronger than ever.

“Older athletes are performing very well,” Armstrong told the historian and journalist Douglas Brinkley. “Ask serious sports physiologists and they’ll tell you age is a wives’ tale. Athletes at 30, 35 mentally get tired. They’ve done their sport for 20, 25 years and they’re like, I’ve had enough. But there’s no evidence to support that when you’re 38 you’re any slower than when you were 32.”

Armstrong, who had been dogged by doping allegations during and even after his career, also mentioned that he wanted to test himself against athletes in this era of the sport. Referring to performance-enhancing drugs in cycling, he said there was a perception that this is the “cleanest generation” and that he had previously competed in the “dirty generation.”

“And, granted, I’ll be totally honest with you, the year that I won the Tour, many of the guys that got 2nd through 10th, a lot of them are gone. Out. Caught. Positive Tests. Suspended. Whatever. ... And so I can understand why people look at that and go, Well, [they] were caught — and you weren’t?” he told Vanity Fair. “So there is a nice element here where I can come with really a completely comprehensive program and there will be no way to cheat.”

Before the Leadville Trail 100 in August, in which Armstrong finished second, he began the proceedings for reinstatement to the United States Anti-Doping Agency’s out-of-competition testing pool, said Erin Hannan, a spokeswoman for the agency.

Athletes are required to be in the pool for at least six months before participating in elite-level competition, she said, though the Leadville race is not one of those competitions.

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #2
country flag woosey

woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lance Armstrong Is Coming Back

i know the french are gonna test the f out of him.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #3
country flag Martian Jeza
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect

Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute

Lance Armstrong thinks of coming back but he will get a very bad reception here in Europe ! Screw the cheaters like him . He better not to come back or he will feel it.

Loads will accept being deceived and being whores of the system : a few others with ethics and values decided to be Free Human beings

BNP Paribas, JP Morgan, Lagardere are criminals : WAKE UP !
Martian Jeza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #4
country flag woosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Jeza View Post
Lance Armstrong thinks of coming back but he will get a very bad reception here in Europe ! Screw the cheaters like him . He better not to come back or he will feel it.
bwahhhaaaaaaaa.

if he comes back and races under this new "clean" system and wins, then what?

and what will he feel.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #5
country flag RFSTB

RFSTB has a brilliant future RFSTB has a brilliant future RFSTB has a brilliant future RFSTB has a brilliant future RFSTB has a brilliant future RFSTB has a brilliant future RFSTB has a brilliant future RFSTB has a brilliant future RFSTB has a brilliant future RFSTB has a brilliant future RFSTB has a brilliant future

What's with these has been athletes who just can't let go of the glory days? Something like 5 or 6 of his former teammates have already been busted since his retirement. This time he'll either get nailed(finally) or fail miserably.
RFSTB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #6
country flag korben

korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah! Maybe we get him this time
korben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #7
country flag A Magicman

A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute A Magicman has a reputation beyond repute

The sport is dead anyway, so let him come back.

and a reminiscence to the past:
HELEN KELESI FOREVER
Hater of Ratwanska & Wozniacki
A Magicman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #8
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Does he have a new way to beat the drug tests?
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #9
country flag The Crow
The hottest straight, goth rocker on the board
Admin Emeritus

The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute The Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow, you would have been happy living in the middle ages. Burning witches seems to be your cup of tea
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #10
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute

I guess he wasn't getting enough media attention. Some people really need to learn how to retire to private life gracefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
Wow, you would have been happy living in the middle ages. Burning witches seems to be your cup of tea
I don't think he's left his house since then, so he probably doesn't realize they're over.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #11
country flag Wojtek

Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute Wojtek has a reputation beyond repute

Cheater is back
Wojtek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #12
country flag Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize that Lance Armstrong generated so much animosity.
Crazy Canuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #13
country flag Kim's_fan_4ever
The only girl in the world.

Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Speak for yourself, thank you.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #14
country flag $uricate

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
I didn't realize that Lance Armstrong generated so much animosity.
Everyone needs someone to dump on while the He Kexin debate has died down for a while.

$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #15
country flag Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuauaiPengoose View Post
Everyone needs someone to dump on while the He Kexin debate has died down for a while.

This comment would make sense, if people were actually expressing animosity towards He Kexin. Anybody who reads above a grade ten level understands that most don't blame the athlete, in that case.

Way to fail.
Crazy Canuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote