Big West - 2008 news - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #31
country flag form

form has disabled reputation
Re: Big West news

I say your Eaters are in a good spot.

Since USC committed their last scholie to an out of state girl, seems everyone has broken toward Pepperdine and UC Irvine.

As a LB fan, it would be wonderful if these top girls wanted to come but I have no idea why the would not if also considering those other CSU's? Maybe you are right?

I heard someone recently say Pepperdine may have as many as four open scholarships for 2009-10 right now... and that four top remaining California girls are headed on visits in the next two weeks. Over heard that at a junior tournament so I do not know if that is correct or not?

Did you notice USD has gone 99% foreign now too? Brought in a talented French girl plus a Croatian (funky ranking again; high combined but low singles and doubles?) and an under-rated Peruvian girl (actually from Chula Vista). On the other extreme, they also have the most 'stay at home' schedule I have ever seen. But they will be considerably better with this new infusion.

Silly season is always fun.... unless you are a mid-major coach I would guess?
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #32
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Pepperdine's roster this year

1. Anamika Bhargava - So.
2. Jill Braverman - Jr.
3. Alex Liles - Sr.
4. Tania Rice - Jr.
5. Anete Bandere??? - So.

2008-2009
1. TBD
2. TBD
3. TBD

2009-2010

By my calculation they have 3-4 for this season and 1 for next season.

USD still has American Carla Tamborini! They signed Maja Sujica, Juliette Coupez & Maria Raygada who I thought might go to UCR.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #33
country flag form

I said 99% (ok, will play 99% of the matches)
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #34
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Pepperdine's roster this year

1. Anamika Bhargava - So.
2. Jill Braverman - Jr.
3. Alex Liles - Sr.
4. Tania Rice - Jr.
5. Anete Bandere??? - So.

2008-2009
1. TBD
2. TBD
3. TBD

2009-2010

By my calculation they have 3-4 for this season and 1 for next season.

USD still has American Carla Tamborini! They signed Maja Sujica, Juliette Coupez & Maria Raygada who I thought might go to UCR.
I just looked at Pepperdine's roster and only these players appear:

1. Jill Braverman - Jr.
2. Alex Liles - Sr.
3. Tania Rice - Jr.
4. Marigrace Marshall - Jr.

Did they not recruit anyone this past year?
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #35
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
I said 99% (ok, will play 99% of the matches)
Why wouldn't Tamborini make the USD top 6 this year? She played in 15 matches last year mostly at #3. She was good enough to beat Jessica Weeks when USD played against Long Beach State.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #36
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
I just looked at Pepperdine's roster and only these players appear:

1. Jill Braverman - Jr.
2. Alex Liles - Sr.
3. Tania Rice - Jr.
4. Marigrace Marshall - Jr.

Did they not recruit anyone this past year?
Marigrace Marshall is a walk-on. Bhargava I'm assuming is still with Pepperdine because she is still entered in the Riviera tourney.

I'm sure they recruited 3 foreign players but their roster is just not updated. We can see the rest of their team when they play in the San Diego State Invitational 10 days from now.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #37
country flag form

And the rest of the year?
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #38
country flag gouci

The rest of the year because of USD injuries she played out of position at #3 and had mostly losses. But because of her experience, she's a senior, I think Tamborini will play 5 or 6 singles ahead of the freshmen Coupez and Raygada.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #39
country flag form

ok, if you say so

Last edited by form : Sep 24th, 2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #40
country flag gouci

Quote:
Brought in a talented French girl plus a Croatian (funky ranking again; high combined but low singles and doubles?)
Did you know that the combined ranking is a new system that takes into account both singles and doubles results?
If a singles or doubles high is shown that is an old ranking from the old system.

I took a look and saw why you were puzzled. The singles and doubles low rankings were from 2003. The Croation was only 14 years old then and probably playing against 17 year olds. That's why her rankings were low. Better leave making sense of the rankings to me.

P.S. Maybe looking up Tamborini's ITF ranking will change your opinion of her?

Last edited by gouci : Sep 25th, 2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #41
country flag form

Couldn't cut it at UOP (the Harvard of the West ... her mom's words)... literally

Transferred to USD... odd circumstances in LB win (which was the last match playing when it rolled back the other way at the end)... so I'll leave it at that.

You can fill in the rest of the blanks

As usual we will disagree

And on those new rankings, we'll disagree there too. But time will tell won't it?

That's why they play the matches...

Overall, it's CP's year in the Big West unless that 8th scholie at UCI is filled. With a total of five teams battling so somebody decent loses day one at Indian Wells. MHO

Next year, looks like your Eaterrs are the team to beat if the recruits come through.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #42
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Overall, it's CP's year in the Big West unless that 8th scholie at UCI is filled. With a total of five teams battling so somebody decent loses day one at Indian Wells. MHO

Next year, looks like your Eaterrs are the team to beat if the recruits come through.
Wow you've already made your predictions for this year and NEXT YEAR as well!
I'm going to hold off making my predictions for later. UCI, LBS & UCD each have a 'ship to fill that could potentially bump them up in the standings. Plus I want to see some fall tournament results from all those new players that are essentially unknown commodities right now.

As of TODAY and on paper, I will agree with you that Cal Poly is the early favorite to win the Big West. But I have my doubts about them. If they were good enough to beat Washington State they partially sank LB & UCI's rankings by losing to Oregon and Utah! Plus even if Cal Poly goes undefeated in the regular season I'll still remember last year when they beat UCSB 7-0 just to turn around and lose to them in the 1st round of the Big West tourney.

Too many times in big matches Steffi Wong has won the 1st set only to lose in 3 sets. This happened against Oregon, Denver & UCSB at the BWT among others. She can be inconsistent playing the big matches. Maybe moving down to #3 will help her choke less often and make Cal Poly that much better.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #43
country flag form

Yikes, you are getting harsh.

I have some thoughts on your three set comments but I am sworn to secrecy as to why that happens.

Suppose the LB board is just a tad happy this dialog goes on here now?

Many questions:
- UCI open scholie?
- UCD open scholie?
- LB open scholie?
- CSUN two new intl's... non traditional locales so how good? Could go either way
- UCSB two new intl's... non traditional locales so how good? Could go either way
- Will anybody beat the WTA Touring Pro who has no business in NCAA?
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #44
country flag FedAce

FedAce is an unknown quantity at this point

Who are the hottest girls in big WEST ?? preferably hot blondes.....
FedAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #45
country flag RobertCB

RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice

Who says that the LB board's posters do not mis BW tennis talk. All you two did was make me have to visit another board .
RobertCB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote