Big West - 2008 news - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #16
country flag form

form has disabled reputation
Re: Big West news

ha ha

You have often posted about doubles partners (kids have many) that would thus make them possible recruits for a school. Yet, that info you can't see on tr.net would indicate otherwise. How do we know if Ms. Webb has been contacted or not? You often seem to assume a lot... Maybe Ms. Webb is listing UCI as a pitty listing for some other friend? (insert a variety of smilies here)... ha ha ha

Yes, I would say that for the last seven years plus, evidence incidates that foreign players were cooler. :-)
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #17
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Cal Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
1. Sign someone playing 7 to hope for a future transfer? Sadly the other girl you referenced signed LOI in 11/06 and then barely trained 2 days a week (unknown to LBSU) for 8 months. Fessed up upon arrival.

Actually, LB had originally offered the girl that is transferrring... before she went to NW. Real talent.

2. Yes, unusual but not everybody fits. You and I have long disagreed on your criticism of coaches with players that leave. Some because they are unhappy; some because they make everybody else unhappy; some because they are at the wrong program level of skill. I know LB has had happy transfers come in from elsewhere... and others happy to go to a different level of intensity. Didn't a really big time player in 00 for UCI leave for USC?

3. Will CP coach bump his long time # 1 or leave her there and allow the transfer to play # 2 (smart political move and possibly gain small competitive edge)? Don't over estimate records at # 6... it's a BIG jump to # 1 even from a NW.... Big 10 not as good as BW after NW, Michigan and maybe Ohio St. Honestly, Michigan should only be a 30-40 but gets overranked early by coaches poll before computer kicks in and then hangs on.

4. Well, whether smart or fell in his lap, certainly a big move. Should be feeling pretty good on Sep. 8.
1.) Markhoff was 5-10, Long Beach just wanted to go the extra inch with 5-11 Hagele.
I was just half joking about Markhoff. But in retrospect she did beat Hagele at the Cal State Fullerton tourney last October and played #5 for Cal Poly towards the end of the year including against Long Beach. Markhoff played doubles for Cal Poly the entire year including a win over Long Beach. In hindsight I'm sure Markhoff would have contributed to Long Beach at least in doubles if not singles.

2.) Yes we may disagree about transfers lets just leave it at that. UCI had a player transfer to USC. But its understandable wanting to transfer up to a top 10 team. It's puzzling transferring from the #2 ranked tennis school at the end of last year to an unranked school for someone that had playing time.

3.) That's why I added "by the end of the year." Blalock can take the losses against the ranked OOC opponents and then come league play switch to Matzenauer at No. 1.

I think you shouldn't say the Big West is better than the Big Ten just from memory. You should have looked at the rankings because the Big 10 is the most improved conference.

Year end rankings:
2. Northwestern
19. Michigan
30. Indiana
33. Ohio State
37. Illinois
52. Iowa
62. Michigan State
63. Minnesota
68. Wisconsin

I know Long Beach beat Purdue ...but they are like the UC Riverside of the Big 10.

Better leave the conference rankings up to me.

4.) In my book the coach gets credit for all the good things while he's in charge because we both know that everyone will blame the coach for all the bad things that happen.

Last edited by gouci : Sep 10th, 2008 at 02:48 AM.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #18
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
ha ha
Maybe Ms. Webb is listing UCI as a pitty listing for some other friend? (insert a variety of smilies here)... ha ha ha
Well Webb is from Palos Verdes Peninsula. She could have tennis friends at UCI. Former walk-on Katie Barth was from Peninsula HS. Current freshmen on the men's team Tyler Bowman and Jonathan Kazarian are from Peninsula HS. If Webb wants to give UCI free advertising I'll take it.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #19
country flag form

Ok, ok, I give

My only point was that IMHO the Big 10 is over ranked. The ITA ranking system has an inherit flaw...it starts based on a coaches poll that each year has some over ranked teams (based on in breed polling of those 8 voting coaches). As that is the baseline, if you play the right combo of matches were you got about .500 than you will stay ranked. Again, just my opinion but the Big 10 results outside the conference (other than NW who obviously is strong) are mixed yet they are almost all ranked.

I'd have like to see the top 4 BW teams play more of the Big10 and see where it would have finished. But geography and scheduling....

Doesn't really matter in the end though... even if you make it as an at large out west you are gifte the privilege of going your local California Pac 10 school (or Fresno currently; ick). So our west coast teams never get to break out and see new people to shake the formula up.

Anyway, you can rank the teams. I'll rank you. he he he he
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #20
country flag gouci

Quote:
I'd have like to see the top 4 BW teams play more of the Big10 and see where it would have finished.
CSUN which finished #3 in the Big West lost to Minnesota which was the 8th lowest ranked team in the Big 10.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #21
country flag form

Lost three setters at # 2 and # 3... but eeked out a 3 setter at # 6... so maybe we call it even? That would have put them what, # 64 (right behind Minny)

MHO...CSUN was 5th best team last year... fluke lucky to the draw... by end of year they could not beat top 4... so that would move UCI up and add in CP and UCSB.. theoretically of course ;-0

LB
UCI
CP
UCSB
CSUN (fortunate when LB, CP and SB all in same 1/2)
Davis (lost 4-2 to CSUN in tourney; surprised me)
the rest

Hey, you think all those LB chatters are happy this string crossed over? ha ha ha ha
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #22
country flag gouci

How can you place CP and UCSB above CSUN, when the matadors defeated CP and UCSB on the court?

Remember, CSUN's blue chip transfer from Virginia Tech and probable #1 didn't end up playing. Otherwise CSUN might have had a chance to win the Big West.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #23
country flag form

Yep, tough to figure those CP and SB matches cause they were tons better by April... those two matches probably major reasons LB and UCI slid so badly at end of season polling... really jumbled the conference power rating.

The VT transfer had quit mid season the year before the tragedy at VT even .. and walked on at CSUN before quitting.. was never gonna play so you can't really use that... ask the VT coach

But it's old news anyway
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #24
country flag gouci

Pacific

Quote:
Committee has a point system and they match off anybody that is ranked from same conference
Pts for being higher ranked, head to head, common opponents, wins versus in... but you get a bonus point if you are certain ranking point difference apart.
When the computer spun last year, somehow at that moment the CP pair was a big enough differential ahead so they got a bonus point. If it has been like .1 less spread than the LB pair would have made NCAA's based on 2-0 head to head record.
The other thing that changed was CP had a win over ranked Denver doubles pair; LB then matched that win in regionals but only after the invites had been sent out.

So Widjaja gonna needja to beatja everybody all season cause her power rating gonna suckja with UOP schedule... Uzma Khan with UCSB went 24-1 or something one year and did not get in because UCSB had poor schedule (lots of D3 that year)
If Widjaja doesn't play until 2009 then she will miss the Cal Invitational, St. Mary's Invitational, Riviera and ITA regionals. All tournaments with opportunities to play ranked opponents. I disagree with you and think you're wrong about her potential power rating. She will get to play alot of good opponents because Pacific plays a good OOC schedule. If she beats 5 ranked opponents that may be enough to get her ranked ahead of Grady.

Looking at Pacific's schedule here is where Widjaja might play ranked opponents.

1/23/09 UNLV Invitational
2/14/09 vs St. Mary's - 112 Jessica Hoath
2/15/09 vs San Francisco - 62 Jenni Heinser
2/20/09 at Tulsa - 82 Alexandra Kichoutkin
2/22/09 vs Oklahoma State - maybe
3/06/09 at UC Davis - Randy Schuler, maybe
3/15/09 at Cal State Northride - foreign player maybe
3/22/09 vs Boise St. - Pichittra Thongdach, maybe
4/03/09 vs Long Beach State - 64 Hannah Grady
4/04/09 vs Cal Poly - Brittany Blalock, maybe
4/11/09 vs Sacramento State - 21 Katrina Zheltova

Last edited by gouci : Sep 14th, 2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #25
country flag gouci

OC pipeline

Just saw the latest Orange County girls tennis top 10 poll. Noticed UC Irvine has had recruits from each one of the top 4 high schools. Now that's how to establish an Orange County pipeline!

1. Dana Hills - Kristina Smith
2. Corona del Mar - Hayley & Miranda Young
3. Troy - Claire Fermin
4. Valencia - Stephanie Hammel

Does anyone know if CIF Southern Section has a poll out yet for girls tennis?
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #26
country flag form

Re: OC pipeline

Impressive pipeline. Given all the girls from So Cal, I would assume the CIF is the hot bed in the US. Do they do polls for tennis?

A little deeper look at your OC pipeline from past couple years:

McCall Jones... home school .. BYU
Alex Walters...home school. UCLA
Stephanie Hammel ... Valencia HS .. UCI
Julie Luzar ... El Dorado HS .. LBSU
Roxanne Ellison... Tesoro HS .. SD State
Yuka Kondo ... San Joaquin HS.. Chaminade

Michela Hein .. San Joaquin HS ... ASU
Lyndsay Kinster .. Laguna Beach HS .. USC
Molly Scott .. Rancho Santa Margarita... Dartmouth
Jill Damion .. Corona Del Mar HS .. UCSB
Brittany Rosen... Laguna Hills HS .. UCLA
Brooke Bartlett .. Fountain Vally HS .. UCI
Christina Tan .. Dana Hills HS .. Syracuse
Bianca Aboubakare... MorningStar Academy... Brown

Cosmina Ciobanu .. Troy HS.. NDame
Jillian Braverman... Coronal Del Mar HS .. Pepperdine
Claire Reitsch ... Laguna Beach HS .. SMU/Arizona

Clarissa Fermin ... Troy HS .. UCI

Lindsey Nelson .. Villay Park HS .. USC
Elizabeth Ferris .. Canyon HS .. Utah
Macall Harkins .. Corona Del Mar .. Illinois/SMU
Gia Nafarrete... Los Alamitos HS.. Boston College
Vanessa Dunlap... Newport Harbor HS .. Pepperdine
Scarlett Alfonzo... Chino Hills? ... Air Force
Maria Malec... Rancho Santa Margarita ... Cal Poly

Good to see so many stay close to home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
Just saw the latest Orange County girls tennis top 10 poll. Noticed UC Irvine has had recruits from each one of the top 4 high schools. Now that's how to establish an Orange County pipeline!

1. Dana Hills - Kristina Smith
2. Corona del Mar - Hayley & Miranda Young
3. Troy - Claire Fermin
4. Valencia - Stephanie Hammel

Does anyone know if CIF Southern Section has a poll out yet for girls tennis?
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #27
country flag form

Gouci

Looks like your team is about to score a big one. Catherine Isip. She had long listed USC only but has now taken that down and listed the Eaters.

That will change things a tad in 2010.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #28
country flag gouci

Re: UC Irvine

. Form thanks for the update! I won't believe it until Isip is actually playing for UCI in the ITA regionals next year. When I looked, Isip also had a high interest in Pepperdine which makes them the heavy favorites to sign her. I wouldn't be surprised if other teams like St. Mary's also get listed into the mix later.

On another note, some good news for UCI. Fermin and Kwan have been bumped up into the prequalifying doubles draw at the Riviera.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #29
country flag gouci

Re: UC Irvine

Speaking of USC and UCI...USC's schedule has them playing Cal State Fullerton at 9:00 A.M. on 1/21/09 and UC Irvine at 1:30 P.M. in the afternoon of the same day.

Maybe UCI can get a point against USC this year after Fullerton either causes them to laugh or better yet takes USC out of their game by putting them to sleep
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #30
country flag gouci

Guys know that the best time to ask a girl out is right after she has just been dumped. Then she is open to going out with all takers.

Speaking of which did you see all the new interests Arianna Colffer has listed? She listed all the Big West schools in SoCal except for Long Beach State. Could it be the Long Beach State coach is female while all the Big West schools she listed have male coaches that know she was just rejected by USC and its the best time to take a shot at her.

Wow UC Riverside and EVEN Cal State Fullerton gets her consideration but not defending champ Long Beach State?

Both Catherine Isip and Arianna Colffer have listed interests in both Pepperdine and UC Irvine. Since Pepperdine may only have 1 scholarship open for 2009-2010 that puts UCI in a good position to possibly sign 1 of the 2.

Last edited by gouci : Sep 24th, 2008 at 09:07 AM.