Big West - 2008 news - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #1
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Big West - 2008 news

Started to talk about news relating to the Big West Conference.

Last edited by gouci : Jan 21st, 2009 at 07:47 AM.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #2
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
UC Irvine

Quote:
"I would never write off your south OC team... still have a vacant spot."
Probably shouldn't expect much from them this year. You yourself pointed out their poor ITA Summer Event results.

Quote:
"...recruited two of your 5-star US kids so I believe you would say you've filled two of those big 3 that graduated?"
Both Stephanie Hammel & Courtney Byron may be rated 5 stars but as freshmen they won't be replacing the Nos. 1 & 2 singles spots. Even if UCI remained the same as last year they've already lost both times last year to this Long Beach State team that returns 5 of 6 starters.

Last edited by gouci : Sep 8th, 2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
country flag gouci

Cal State Northridge

Quote:
"CSUN improved finally (they get 4 'no GPA questions asked int'l kids and just got huge funding bump from President decreed student fee)..."
CSUN only graduated 2 seniors from last year. Are you saying that since they have 4 international spots, 2 more players from last year won't be returning?

Quote:
"If those int'l girls are quality, then they are in the mix but hard to tell based on ITF results."
Those 2 international players have had high combined ITF rankings. Vertesheva ranking high of # 104 and Sirojiddinova high of # 125. So if not strong singles then they must be very good in doubles.

Last edited by gouci : Sep 8th, 2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #4
country flag gouci

Cal Poly

Quote:
"Wondered how long it would take you to spot Cal Poly's huge transfer from Northwestern."
1. When did the transfer occur? So I can determine how long it took me to spot it.

2. I thought Cal Poly already had 8 players on schollie. In order to make room for this transfer 1 player may have left the team. My guess would be Melissa Bradford.

Last edited by gouci : Sep 8th, 2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #5
country flag form

form has disabled reputation
Re: UC Irvine

UCI's strength has long been depth. May not win at # 1 but takes lots of mid and low level points. You'll be fine and dangerous as always. You're 7 or 8 deep to make line up someplace.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #6
country flag form

Re: Cal State Northridge

Have always had 3-4 int'l schols available... just have not used them well.

These girls may be great. But can't figure out how they got those awesome rankings when they have no singles and no doubles ranking. Look at Grady and others that have had such 'huge' ITF rankings... they also had singles and doubles ITF rankings so it made some sense.

Can't figure these girls out... maybe great, maybe? Or maybe big rankings for simply playing a ton of local tournies in Asia.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #7
country flag form

Re: Cal Poly

Just funning.... her named popped up on the Riviera draw. Must have transferred with encouragement from the other Seattle area girl on the team.

No idea who they lost/pulled/quit... your guess is same as mine but who knows.

CP will be really strong this year...
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #8
country flag gouci

Re: Cal Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Must have transferred with encouragement from the other Seattle area girl on the team.

CP will be really strong this year...
1. Didn't that Seattle area girl also have a high interest in Long Beach State? What if you signed her instead of Haegele, Matzenauer could of transfered to LB.

2. Unusual for someone to transfer out of Northwestern. Top notch academic school, ranked as high as #1 nationally last year and reached the NCAA quarter-finals.

3. Looking at Suzanne Matzenauer's record last year, she was 37-9 and played #6, I can actually see her playing #1 at Cal Poly by the end of the year.

4. I've got to give the Cal Poly coach credit. His team lost in the 1st round of the Big West tourney last year and he's done something big about it.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #9
country flag form

Re: Big West news

1. Sign someone playing 7 to hope for a future transfer? Sadly the other girl you referenced signed LOI in 11/06 and then barely trained 2 days a week (unknown to LBSU) for 8 months. Fessed up upon arrival.

Actually, LB had originally offered the girl that is transferrring... before she went to NW. Real talent.

2. Yes, unusual but not everybody fits. You and I have long disagreed on your criticism of coaches with players that leave. Some because they are unhappy; some because they make everybody else unhappy; some because they are at the wrong program level of skill. I know LB has had happy transfers come in from elsewhere... and others happy to go to a different level of intensity. Didn't a really big time player in 00 for UCI leave for USC?

3. Will CP coach bump his long time # 1 or leave her there and allow the transfer to play # 2 (smart political move and possibly gain small competitive edge)? Don't over estimate records at # 6... it's a BIG jump to # 1 even from a NW.... Big 10 not as good as BW after NW, Michigan and maybe Ohio St. Honestly, Michigan should only be a 30-40 but gets overranked early by coaches poll before computer kicks in and then hangs on.

4. Well, whether smart or fell in his lap, certainly a big move. Should be feeling pretty good on Sep. 8.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #10
country flag gouci

UCI gets verbal from Kristina Smith for 2009-2010.

Tennis article

Looks like a good signing.

1. From defending CIF Division 1 team champs Dana Hills HS.
2. Defending CIF Individual Doubles champion.
3. tr.net ranking of #62 and rising.
4. Keeps a top OC player inside the county. Building up OC recruiting base.
5. May help sign HS doubles partner Brynn Boren.
6. Planning for the future. May help sign younger sister blue chip Joanna Smith.

It's looking more like UCI will carry that open slot this year into next year and sign 4 from a deep 2009-2010 CA recruiting class.

Last edited by gouci : Sep 9th, 2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #11
country flag form

Seems a smart play... but I'd still bet on the vacant 2008-9 scholie getting filled.

When you look at the list of So Cal girls interested in BW schools in 2010... seems the UC's have a lock on kids no matter the talent ... though SLO is a nice area too. Sort of amazing given LBSU is the 3rd most applied to uni in the country (77K aps; only behind UCLA and Cal).

5* Haley Dixon CA UC Irvine
5* Kathryn Webb CA Cal Poly, UC Irvine
4* Morgan Basil FL UC Santa Barbara
4* Megan Heneghan CA UC Santa Barbara
4* Nicole Koehly CA UC Davis
4* Mara Schmidt FL UC Irvine
3* Alexis Filliol WA UC Santa Barbara
3* Morgan Mcintosh CA Cal Poly, UC Riverside, UC Santa Barbara
3* Jazmin Ortiz CA UC Santa Barbara
3* Haley Perrotte CA UC Santa Barbara
3* Sayo Tsukamoto HI UC Irvine
2* Arianne Goddard TX UC Santa Barbara
2* Mattison Sperry CO Cal State Fullerton, UC Davis
1* Brittan Sutphin CO Cal Poly, UC Santa Barbara
0* Alexa Simpson CA UC Santa Barbara

Maybe tough to criticize schools that look elsewhere when locals will go to lesser programs or out of town... just not 'gucci' to do a local CSU?

Anyway, your Eaters will be just fine as always...

future years, funny how nearly every one of them wants "UC" something... regardless of ability or the ranking/success of the school.

Seems to be about 'prestige' of uni name rather than tennis or even the school itself (depending on your major).

If not the Pac, then a UC .. if interested in staying in So Cal
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #12
country flag gouci

I'm sure most high school tennis players don't follow or know much about college tennis. The recruiting period is the chance to educate them and win them over.

Speaking of recruiting you must have that "Recruiting Advantage" membership at tr.net that lets you view a list of players interested in the Big West.

I hope Cal State Fullerton is not trying to actively recruit that 2 star player.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #13
country flag form

Your pretty good with the smiley's

In order to recruit em, they gotta be willing to return calls and contacts... just a thought. In So Cal, my experience is that many do not find it remotely interesting to consider a CSU no matter how popular. Doesn't play well with the friends at their tennis clubs and high schools. Not cool I guess.

So, good coaches go looking elsewhere if their budgets will permit it.

CSF is 1/2 funded... they got no shot. Like bringing a beebie gun to Camp Pendleton. No shot.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #14
country flag form

Your pretty good with the smiley's

In order to recruit em, they gotta be willing to return calls and contacts... just a thought. In So Cal, my experience is that many LA basin kids do not find it remotely interesting to consider a CSU. Doesn't play well with the friends at their tennis clubs and high schools. Not cool I guess.

CSF is 1/2 funded... they got no shot. Like bringing a beebie gun to Camp Pendleton. No shot.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #15
country flag gouci

Quote:
Not cool I guess.

Are you saying foreign players are not cool? . . . Just kidding.

Quote:
5* Kathryn Webb CA Cal Poly, UC Irvine
Why don't you ask Rachel Manasse to tell her former doubles partner Kathryn Webb to list Long Beach State as a school of interest to show the 49ers some love as a favor to Manasse.