Chris Evert conceded that the Williamses had proved her wrong - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #1
country flag Bijoux0021

Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute
Chris Evert conceded that the Williamses had proved her wrong

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/08/sp...is&oref=slogin

Serena Williams Wins U.S. Open and Returns to No.

Serena Williams after the women's final match at the U.S. Open on Sunday.

By KAREN CROUSE
Published: September 7, 2008

No world No. 1 in women’s tennis has slogged through so desolate a valley between peaks than Serena Williams. After relinquishing the top spot in August 2003, Williams fell so far that she was not within an echo’s distance of the summit two years ago.

Outside the top 125 at this time in 2006, Williams completed her climb back to No. 1 on Sunday night with a 6-4, 7-5 victory against Jelena Jankovic to claim her third United States Open title.

The 23-year-old Jankovic, who was making her first final in 21 Grand Slam appearances, fought gamely to the end, extending points with her dogged defense. Her nerves, which were indiscernible at the start, surfaced in the 19th game, serving at 5-4, when she squandered four set points.

After breaking Jankovic with a forehand passing shot, Williams won 10 of the final 16 points to secure her ninth Grand Slam singles championship. Williams converted her second match point with a backhand that fell as softly as a tissue, then threw her racket in the air and hopped up and down. When she made it to the net, she apologized to Jankovic for getting so excited.

The second-ranked Jankovic, who was No. 1 for a week last month, might have lost the match, but she won over the Arthur Ashe Stadium crowd during the award presentation. She started off by thanking everyone and her drivers. While accepting the runner-up trophy, she said: “I lost my No. 1 ranking. It’s not fair.” Then, as Williams was being presented with her $1.5 million check, Jankovic asked, “How much did I get?”

The answer, as she would soon find out, was $750,000.

No woman has gone as long between stints at the top as Williams, who came into the tournament ranked No. 3 and will overtake Ana Ivanovic, who lost in the second round.

“It is that special because I’ve been working so hard,” said Williams, who did not drop a set in the tournament and lost 40 games.

It was a performance reminiscent of 2002, when Williams did not drop a set and beat her sister Venus. The No. 1 ranking, Williams added, “is just like an added bonus.”

Williams’s place in the pantheon of American luminaries was secure no matter what happened Sunday. That it had been five years since she held the No. 1 ranking did not preclude the two men behind the recent HBO documentary, “The Color List,” from including her in their portraits of 22 of the most fascinating and influential African-Americans.

The 26-year-old Williams joined, among others, the Nobel Prize-winning author Toni Morrison and the former Secretary of State Colin Powell in pulling back the curtain to reveal the challenges and rewards of black life in the United States.

“I felt honored that they wanted me to speak on it and to be a part of it,” Williams said. “I was so excited to do it.”

Morrison talked about writing being her only “free place,” an unfiltered outlet for her expression. The tennis court is that place for Williams, an entertainer inexorably drawn to the spotlight. Her flair for drama makes each of her matches an improvisational play in two or three acts.

While Morrison and Williams would appear to have much in common, Williams found Powell’s interview the most illuminating. “I was really struck by his story,” she said, “and everything he was saying.”

That is Williams in a sound bite, running around the obvious answer like her opponents might a ball hit to their weak sides. In interview rooms, as on the court, Williams is famous for keeping her antagonists off-balance.

When it comes to tennis, Williams has steadfastly adhered to her own script. Along with Venus, she began playing on public courts in Compton, a Southern California community that never will be confused with a tennis hotbed.

She was not a fixture on the junior circuit, and when she and Venus turned professional, as teenagers, they continued to take classes toward fashion degrees, and, in Serena’s case, pursue acting roles.

In 1999, Serena won the Open for the first of 16 Williams family Grand Slam singles titles. From the beginning of 2002 through the end of 2003, Williams won five of the six majors she entered.

Then she went from nearly invincible to almost invisible. Between January 2005 and December 2006, she played 44 matches, 5 fewer than she has in 2008. Williams’s world ranking was inching toward 140 when Chris Evert, an 18-time Grand Slam singles champion, gently took Williams to task in an open letter in Tennis magazine for tarnishing her legacy by not maximizing her extraordinary tennis abilities.

“In the short term you may be happy with the various things going on in your life,” Evert wrote, “but I wonder whether 20 years from now you might reflect on your career and regret not putting 100 percent of yourself into tennis.”

Evert, whose singular devotion to tennis stoked her success, added, “I don’t see how acting and designing clothes can compare with the pride of being the best tennis player in the world.”

Evert watched the final Sunday in the suite of Arlen Kantarian, the United States Tennis Association’s chief executive officer for professional tennis. Before the match, Evert conceded that in the long term the Williamses had proved her wrong.

Noting that former Nos. 1 Justine Henin, Martina Hingis and Kim Clijsters bowed out of tennis because of burnout while the Williamses have been playing as well as ever, Evert said: “Let’s put it this way. It’s opened my eyes not to be judgmental and to each his own. Whatever makes you happy. By having other interests, maybe you won’t get burned out as quickly.”

Williams’s fire once again is burning bright. “Just putting in the effort,” she said, adding, “I’m just enjoying every moment.”

*Federer*Nadal*Djokovic*Tsonga*Murray*Monfils*Gulb is*Young*Safin*Mirnyi*

“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”

― Maya Angelou
Bijoux0021 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #2
country flag RenaSlam.

RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chris Evert conceded that the Williamses had proved her wrong

Step to it, SlutChrissie.
__W00.01.05.07.08__USO00.01__

Step.
RenaSlam. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #3
country flag Miranda

Miranda has a reputation beyond repute Miranda has a reputation beyond repute Miranda has a reputation beyond repute Miranda has a reputation beyond repute Miranda has a reputation beyond repute Miranda has a reputation beyond repute Miranda has a reputation beyond repute Miranda has a reputation beyond repute Miranda has a reputation beyond repute Miranda has a reputation beyond repute Miranda has a reputation beyond repute

well, Evert was wrong too in her marriage

Ennis and Jack found something most people don't ever find in this life...true love, the deepest, purest, most beautiful thing in the universes. Ennis and Jack have TRUE LOVE. They are SOULMATES. They have a love so deep, so pure, so strong, that it transcends everything, it's eternal.
Miranda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #4
country flag No Name Face

No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute

at least she can admit it
but she wasn't the only one, and it's nice that she's going on record saying she was wrong.
No Name Face is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #5
country flag Cam'ron Giles
Snitch

Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute Cam'ron Giles has a reputation beyond repute

Great article

Will you be there?
Cam'ron Giles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #6
country flag Tennisstar86

Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute

Evert gonna stop being Judgemental? Now only if she can tell that Bitch Carillo to keep her opinion to herself.....

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #7
country flag VeeReeDavJCap81

VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute

Very big of her to admit she was wrong for judging Serena.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #8
country flag G1Player2

G1Player2 has a reputation beyond repute G1Player2 has a reputation beyond repute G1Player2 has a reputation beyond repute G1Player2 has a reputation beyond repute G1Player2 has a reputation beyond repute G1Player2 has a reputation beyond repute G1Player2 has a reputation beyond repute G1Player2 has a reputation beyond repute G1Player2 has a reputation beyond repute G1Player2 has a reputation beyond repute G1Player2 has a reputation beyond repute

Eat that Chris!!!
G1Player2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #9
country flag Bijoux0021

Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute

Chris Evert had the nerves to write an open letter to Serena chastising her, telling her what she should do with her life without taking into consideration what Serena and her family were going through. She should have been woman enough to write Serena another open letter admitting that she was wrong.

― Maya Angelou
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #10
ladydiana

ladydiana is a splendid one to behold ladydiana is a splendid one to behold ladydiana is a splendid one to behold ladydiana is a splendid one to behold ladydiana is a splendid one to behold ladydiana is a splendid one to behold ladydiana is a splendid one to behold ladydiana is a splendid one to behold ladydiana is a splendid one to behold ladydiana is a splendid one to behold ladydiana is a splendid one to behold

She still feels the same way about both Serena and Venus. It's just that they've both won Grand Slams once again without playing that much tennis.

She had to write this article, but she was hoping that Jelena won the match. They don't fool me one bit.

Why would the Williamses have to prove her wrong. It's not like these other players have ever won a grand slam with the exception of Ana and Maria. Chrissy knows that Dinara, Jelena, and Elena doesn't have what it takes to beat Venus and Serena if they make it to the finals.

If any of these other players plan on winning a Grand Slam, then they had better eliminate both Venus and Serena before they make it to the finals.

I can't stand Chrissy Pissy. She's runs her mouth too much just like Tracey Austin and sissy boy Ted Robinson.

I just love it when they have to comeback and eat crow.
ladydiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #11
country flag maddogz48

maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future

Nice to know people will back off Serena's case about playing a limited schedule.
maddogz48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #12
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute

I'll read everything Karen Crouse writes about the Sisters!
DOUBLEFIST is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #13
country flag Bijoux0021

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydiana View Post
She still feels the same way about both Serena and Venus. It's just that they've both won Grand Slams once again without playing that much tennis.

She had to write this article, but she was hoping that Jelena won the match. They don't fool me one bit.

Why would the Williamses have to prove her wrong. It's not like these other players have ever won a grand slam with the exception of Ana and Maria. Chrissy knows that Dinara, Jelena, and Elena doesn't have what it takes to beat Venus and Serena if they make it to the finals.

If any of these other players plan on winning a Grand Slam, then they had better eliminate both Venus and Serena before they make it to the finals.

I can't stand Chrissy Pissy. She's runs her mouth too much just like Tracey Austin and sissy boy Ted Robinson.

I just love it when they have to comeback and eat crow.
Co-sign!

― Maya Angelou
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #14
Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute

Chrissy is another tennis idiot tool. I disliked her dumb ass the moment she said that having a 1 handed backhand was a LIABILITY on grass. I didn't want to hear another thing out of her dumb mouth since.

Vee and Ree didn't prove Chris wrong. Martina,Henin,Kim,Cappy and others just proved Richard Williams and family right. Don't let any job consume the self. Life is also about having some outside creative interest. It shouldn't be 100% tennis all the time. Longetitivity counts for alot.
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #15
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie View Post
Chrissy is another tennis idiot tool. I disliked her dumb ass the moment she said that having a 1 handed backhand was a LIABILITY on grass. I didn't want to hear another thing out of her dumb mouth since.

Vee and Ree didn't prove Chris wrong. Martina,Henin,Kim,Cappy and others just proved Richard Williams and family right. Don't let any job consume the self. Life is also about having some outside creative interest. It shouldn't be 100% tennis all the time. Longetitivity counts for alot.
Oh no, Dawn's off her meds again.....
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote