News, Articles, Interviews - Anything Dinara - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #16
country flag enchantrezz

enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of
Re: News, Articles, Interviews - Anything Dinara

The Future Is Now For Safina - 08/12/08

Perhaps we can stop using words like "promising" when it comes to players like Dinara Safina, enjoying now what you would call breakthrough seasons.

The nearly 6-foot, 155-pound Safina, like her up-and-down big brother, men's star Marat Safin, is a punisher of the ball, and has powered her way to a solid 40-13 record so far this year (after two rounds at the ongoing Olympic Games in Beijing), including three of her eight career titles and a current 12-match winning streak. She's rattled off 29 wins in her last 32 matches.

That's pretty hot.

Safina's first title of the year came in Berlin back in May, as she upended Elena Dementieva in an all-Russian clay-court finale. In her next event, Safina soared all the way into the final on the dirt at Roland Garros, only to lose to world No. 1 (at the time) Ana Ivanovic in her first-ever Grand Slam final. On her way to the title match, Safina saved match points in back-to- back matches on her way to upsetting reigning Aussie Open champ and fellow Russian Maria Sharapova in the fourth round and Dementieva in the quarters.

Following the French Open, Safina landed in another final, but was shocked by Thai veteran Tamarine Tanasugarn in the title bout on a grass court in The Netherlands. En route to the final, Safina toppled her compatriot Dementieva, once again, in the semis.

Safina was a disappointing third-round loser (against capable Israeli Shahar Peer) at Wimbledon, but she promptly rebounded in her next tournament by capturing a hardcourt title in Los Angeles, and followed that up by corralling more hardware the following week on a hardcourt in Montreal. All this winning activity in North America produced a U.S. Open Series victory for Safina, which means she will double her prize money in New York. If Safina can win the title in Flushing, she would receive a record $2.5 million payout.

And when it comes to that precious Russian supremacy, Safina is a perfect 6-0, combined, against her fellow Top-10 countrywomen Kuznetsova (No. 3), Sharapova (No. 5) and Dementieva (No. 7) this year.

Safina opened 2008 ranked 15th in the world in singles and has shot up to No. 6, and she's ranked ninth on the planet in doubles, where she's also tallied eight career titles, including a pair this season.

Aside from an Olympic gold medal this week, the skyrocketing Safina has her sights set on the upcoming U.S. Open, where she'll be among the favorites. The powerful Muscovite reached the quarterfinals in New York two years ago, and made it to the fourth round there last year.

When you get right down to it, Safina appears to be headed toward an eventual Grand Slam title, which is something her former world No. 1 and two-time major titlist brother would know about. Safin is a former U.S. (2000) and Aussie Open champ (2005).

Did You Know?: Safina was the doubles titlist (alongside Frenchwoman Nathalie Dechy) at last year's U.S. Open.

Source: The Sports Network
Scott Riley, Tennis Editor
enchantrezz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #17
country flag enchantrezz

enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of enchantrezz has much to be proud of

An old article but still very interesting

The little sisters complex

Their brother or sister have distinguished themselves on the professional tour. Now it's their turn as they try to follow in the same footsteps. That's not always easy.

Making a name for oneself. Being famous for one's own game, one's own style, one's own credit. Not talking about one's brother or sister in every single interview. This is the dream, the ultimate goal of these champions' sisters, who are often watched only for their family connection. They are Dinara Safina, Elke Clijters, Jaslyn Hewitt, Cara Black, and Michaella Krajicek. They are more or less precocious or talented, but all follow the brotherly footsteps, with difficulty controlling the inheritance. If tennis is often a family affair, not all the brothers and sisters have the chance to arrive on the tour at the same time. The case of Venus and Serena Williams, who lived theirs first successes in a tournament and in Grand Slam with only a difference of a few months, is still an exception.

As a result, the look on the younger sister is encumbered with the image of the older boy. For example, would we have been so interested in Dinara Safina's first victory, in July 2002 in Sopot, if she weren't the young sister of Marat Safin, winner of a Grand Slam tournament and former world # 1? "You're too much interested in her because she is my sister. But she is only sixteen. Let her progress at her own rhythm and don't turn her into a star before it's time. She is still a child." the elder Safin then said to the medias. One year later, Safina confirmed her status by imposing herself in Palermo last July. She is only seventeen but makes her ambitions obvious, which perplexes her brother, who is well known for his lack of anthusiasm. And now, the little sister, in a cross-interview, can give her views on her brother, mixing praise and critique. "You're my God! When you play, I love watching you. When you lose, I'm even sadder than when I lose. When you're hurt, I suffer. When you talk to me, I drink your words. When you come to see me playing, I'm beside myself with joy. For me you have the biggest talent of any player and I don't have half of your talent. The only thing I have more of than you, is that I like working more than you do, I could be doing only this for 24hours a day, and it's not your case, I know it."

The Russian's frankness and success are an exception. Dinara is making her way in life naturally, wanting to win everything and quickly, with the support of a family that has dedicated their life to tennis, a father who is the manager of a club in Moscow, a mother who is also her coach. Certainly, like her, some players gain their independence from their brother's results. For instance, Michaella Krajicek, Richard's half-sister, was world junior # 2, at only fifteen. If she doesn't have the same results, she has, for sure, the former Wimbledon winner's talent.

Cara Black doesn't seem to suffer much either from the comparison drawn between her and her brothers Wayne and especially Byron Black, former world # 22. # 1 in juniors in 1997, the Zimbabwean whose best WTA singles rank, world # 31, dates back to March 1999, has mostly excelled in doubles. The young woman was even # 3 in this field in November 2001. And the parallel drawn between her and her brothers is all the less heavy since they are often partners. Together with Wayne, expert in doubles too, she won Roland Garros mix doubles tournament in 2002.

But everything can get complicated very quickly. It's hard to bear mediocrity with such an excellent family example, especially if you have to be better than your sister. Elke Clijters is aware of this. Her elder sister, Kim, twenty years old, already has 20 titles and a world # 1 rank kept for twelve weeks. The Belgian youngest sister is two years younger, but has a much smaller accomplishment. No tournament victory, a # 431 rank at the end of 2003, two defeats in Fed Cup semi-finals this year versus the United States. At the same age, Kim already had a Grand Slam final to her credit. But the situation doesn't only presents disadvantages: "Everybody compares me to my sister. But on the other hand, there are advantages too, like getting wild-cards for some tournaments." admitted Elke. Kim offered an apartment and a car to her young sister, because Elke has a victory to her credit. Kim met Lleyton Hewitt thanks to her, during the Australian Open in 2000. She had asked her big sister to get an autograph of the Australian player for her. Almost four years later, the marriage of the Belgian lady and the Australian man is announced. Just a coincidence, Lleyton Hewitt has a little sister too. Jaslyn, twenty years old, is ranked # 541. Far away from the # 1rank that her brother, two years older than she, occupied for a long time. She has experienced some success as a junior, but the transition to senior is difficult. Jaslyn couldn't get a wild-card for the Australian Open 2004. Yet, like her brother, she won tournaments for young people at her beginnnings, and as she was one of Australia's most promising young tennis player, she already said at 16 that she wanted to be world # 1. For the moment she is in the shadow of her brother. And just like Elke, Michaella, Dinara or even Cara, only one thing can get her out of it: victory.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #18
country flag enchantrezz

Another one

Australian Tennis Magazine – November 2002

Dinara Safina: Growing and Glowing in the Giant’s Shadow

Marat Safin might be a big star but incredibly, it’s sister Dinara, who’s just 16 and not even competing full time yet, who can boast bigger on-court success this year (2002).

When 16-year old Russian Dinara Safina became the first qualifier and youngest player in history to win the Sopot Open in Poland, the thought that she’d managed to do something her world number 2 brother Marat Safin hadn’t managed all year – win a tournament – didn’t seem to cross her mind. She was too busy actually calling Marat to tell him the good news to even think of that. And then she had another tricky problem to address.

“He often bought me gifts after he won tournaments,” Safina told Reuters. “So now after telling him that I won, I have to think what to give him as a present. He already had many things he needs, so I must really think hard to make it a lasting memory.”

Not that Dinara seems to have anything to worry about in the “lasting memory” department. At 14, she was already being touted as the new Anna Kournikova (she also gave something of her killer attitude away when she announced to a group of reporters that she didn’t want to emulate Kournikova “because she hasn’t won anything yet.”).

Now, with her first title filed comfortably, she has risen from 394 to 70 in the world rankings and grown to a height of 182 cm this year. It seems only a matter of time before the young Russian with the heavy groundstrokes is giving the power hitter a run for the money.

Playing her first main draw Grand Slam event, Dinara upset higher-ranked Rita Grande in the first round of this year’s (2002) US Open before an unfortunate second round meeting with hotter-than-ever Serena Williams, who annihilated her younger opponent 6-0 6-1. But even that experience will ultimately prove a worthwhile one for Safina.

“Come on, she’s 16 years old. When I was 16, I was playing satellites in Spain. I was staying in a hotel for $15 a night,” insisted Marat when asked to interpret his sister’s experience. “Every 16-year-old guy is just starting to play satellites, not even close. They’re playing national tournaments, which is the lowest thing in the world”.

“And she’s 16 years old, playing Serena, number 1 in the world, centre court and the people are watching. You play satellites, the people, they don’t even watch. They have no linesmen even.”

In New York Marat stressed to his sister that at such a young age, it is important to keep her ambitions in check. “The most important thing is to enjoy tennis, not just play,” he said. “To enjoy (and) have fun is what I want for my sister.”

Which is a sentiment that Safina’s mother and coach, rauza Islanova, who was a top ten player in the former Soviet Union in the 1960’s and 70’s echoes. “The Sopot win was a huge morale-booster for Dinara, but obviously she is not yet ready to tackle dominant players like the Williams sisters or Capriati on a daily basis,” Islanova told Reuters.

“Bt we’re not in a rush. It’s not like we have set a time for Dinara to mover into the top 100 this year and into the top 50 or 40 next year. Actually, I think she is already a bit ahead of what was expected of her.”

For the moment, Dinara can enjoy the milestones she’s so far achieved, which included reaching the Wimbledon junior girl’s final last year (2001). The win in Sopot not only netted $US50, 000 in prize money but also adde to her existing endorsements (like Marat she has a long-term deal with Adidas).

“In the past, it was Marat who mostly sponsored her tennis career. But now Dinara can afford to pay her coached and even brings home some money,” says Islanova.

While she’s clearly made an impact on the Sanex WTA tour, Dinara is not yet old enough to play a full schedule, which means choosing her tournaments carefully and focusing on practice. Islanova says there is still plenty of work for her daughter to do in developing more power, working on her footwork and improving her speed if she’s going to challenge the world’s top players.

Rather than racking up matches on the junior circuit, Islanova is directing Dinara to spend more time practicing at the tennis academy in Valencia Spain, where Marat also honed much of hit ability as a youngster.

“It doesn’t make much sense now. Junior tennis is completely different game, and it’s hard to adjust, switching from one to the other,” Islanova explained. “Besides, after reaching the Wimbledon girl’s final last year, Dinara has little to gain from playing junior events now.”

And although she’d clearly not your average 16-year-old, Dinara still has to contend with many of the same things as other teenagers – including homework. With the Safin family maintaining residences in both Russia and Spain, she is currently taking correspondence courses form a Moscow school. As soon as she returned form the US Open, Dinara had to contend with exams.

“Tennis is her top priority, but she is doing fine in school as well,” says Islanova, who is proud of all of her daughter’s successes. “She is fluent in two languages, Spanish and Russian, and is also learning English at the moment.”

Whether Dinara turns out to be as colourful in the language department as her immensely quotable older brother is not yet known, but it is clear she shares his talent. Not that she’s about to start offering advice to her brother on how to break his title drought. “Oh no, I wouldn’t dare teach or even tell him what to do,” Dinara stresses. “I’m his biggest fan and I still look up to him tennis-wise. I think it’s just a matter of time before he starts winning again.”
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #19
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

BEIJING, CHINA

D. SAFINA/N. Li
7-6, 7-5

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You had two matches yesterday and one match today. How did you survive all these very gruesome matches? How was the reaction from the crowd affecting you on today's game?
DINARA SAFINA: Well, how I survived? So I guess I survived because I could play.
Well, I just accepted they did this to me; that I had to play in less than 24 hours three matches. And maybe I was not really happy with what they did. I had a little bit anger, so I just put everything on tennis court, and I was just trying to stay focused and point by point.
I knew that the crowd would be against me. But I also accepted it because for me doesn't matter. I have my tennis coach and I don't care who is sitting there and who's clapping for who. I have my person next to me, and doesn't matter.

Q. How does this compare to reaching the final at Roland Garros?
DINARA SAFINA: I think this is more something else 'cause French Open, at least I had some -- like everything what was going on yesterday, that I had this, then I had doubles. I still out of this won my singles match. So it makes bigger.
But doesn't matter, French Open or Olympics, it's two such a big tournaments. It's nice because the first time in my life I'm playing Olympics, and I got a chance in the last moment to play singles. And I proved that for the medal.

Q. In that second set, down a break, obviously you're fighting very hard, but you're also getting frustrated at times in that second set. What got you through the match in the end?
DINARA SAFINA: Just desire to win. Okay, I'm controlling now much more my emotions. But still I was not so getting pissed. I was just getting angry on myself. I had to be aggressive. On some points, I was a little bit passive.
But it still was nothing because I was just pushing and forcing myself for to do more on tennis court.

Q. What is the difference between an Olympic tournament and a Grand Slam tournament?
DINARA SAFINA: Well, I guess it's different 'cause it's once in four years, just make it like this. But actually I took it like it's a single tournament for me. I didn't really think it's like, let's say, Grand Slam. I just say, okay, it's another tournament. I must say draw is much tougher than somewhere else.
But, I don't know, Grand Slam and Olympics, of course if I would play in French Open, I play against a girl against France, it would be the same. They would all support this girl. Today was the same. I was playing the girl against from here. They were supporting. But it's also nice, some other fans, like Russian, they're coming and supporting me.
Maybe somewhere like in singles tournaments, there never be so many people and like supporting like each country. But here it's like you always have some people who is either cheering for them, either cheering for me.

Q. More or less Davis ambience?
DINARA SAFINA: Yeah. If I would play somebody else, it would be 50/50. Today it was maybe 80/20 or maybe more (laughter). I was trying to be polite.

Q. You look ahead now to the gold medal match against somebody you know very well, Elena Dementieva. Also there's the potential that Russia takes a gold, silver and bronze.
DINARA SAFINA: I will just cross my fingers that it's gonna be like this.

Q. You played three games in the last 24 hours. You won two of them. Maybe you are considered one of the toughest women in this tournament. How do you feel about that?
DINARA SAFINA: I already answered this question.

Q. What about your reaction to your opponent's game? What do you think of her play? The other day she beat Venus Williams. She looks like she's not as strong as she was in that game.
DINARA SAFINA: So you just want to say that I'm much worse than Venus Williams, that's why she can beat Venus and she can lose to me. That's what you're trying to say?
I mean, I'm also player. I mean, she's a great player. But today maybe I was a little bit more lucky. She's a really good player. I don't know why you blaming her. I mean, she's a great player, I must say. Okay, it was like 50/50 match. She had some chances. She didn't took it. I took my chances. The score is 7-6, 7-5. It was very close. It was very fragile this match.
I guess I was a little bit luckier in this moment. I mean, if she would not be injured, she was really unlucky. Last year she doesn't play for six months. This year she started the season unbelievable. She was again unlucky. If she had been playing consistent for one year, you will see her in top 15 like this (snapping fingers)

---

oh, dear.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #20
country flag enchantrezz

Old Aug 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #21
country flag enchantrezz

Flashback

Safina : « Marat and I… »

By Nicolas VOLLAIRE

Still engaged in both singles and doubles competitions, Dinara Safina is doing well in this 13th Open Gaz de France. But the young and talented Russian is also Marat Safin’s little sister and she has to deal with this comparison everyday.

Your brother made tough comments about you at the Australian Open. Did it bother you ?
Just a little bit…(laughters) We have had some private problems before that and he told me that he didn’t really mean what he said. It was a misunderstanding. He said something one way and the medias understood it another way. But, you know, I’m used to it. It’s Marat…

Why didn’t you go to Moscow to celebrate Marat’s victory with your family ?
Because I came back from Australia before him and I had to go to Monte Carlo for a few days. I am an official resident here and I have to be there a specific number of days in the year to make it legal.

How hard is it to live in the shadow of your brother ?
It is very difficult because a lot of people expect of me. They want me to be as good as my brother, but I am not ! He is much better than me. Even if I am younger, time is going fast and I have a lot of pressure on me because I am Marat Safin’s sister. I would love to play as well as him but it’s more difficult for me.

Your brother has a strong personality. It’s not very frequent in the world of tennis…
He is not crazy like many people think. He has changed a little bit now but he still has his character. He is a lot of fun and I think people like that. If I was a tennis fan coming to watch a game, I would get bored if no one was showing emotions or joy or excitement or angriness. People love Marat when he breaks his rackets. Nobody does it like he does (laughters)! That is part of the show.

What do you have in common with Marat ?
Many people think that we don’t look like each other. And it’s true that we are not exactly the same physically. Speaking for the character, we look a lot like each other. For exemple we react the same when we lose: no one can talk to us for two or three hours. My father was like that. Marat and me are the same…

Do you get along well with him ?
It depends on what we are talking about. If we speak about tennis, it always finishes with a fight. But we are very close to each other and everytime we play in the same tournament we eat together every night. Well, at least we try… Marat is so busy sometimes… (laughters)
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #22
country flag Nina.

Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute

Interview after the final:

Dinara Safina

BEIJING, CHINA

E. DEMENTIEVA/D. Safina
3-6, 7-5, 6-3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Can you kind of describe your emotions. I know disappointment would be one of them for losing the match. But silver medal, can you compare how that all mixes together?
DINARA SAFINA: I'm disappointed that I lost. But from the other hand, if I see things around, what I've done, still coming from States, winning two tournaments in a row, coming here, I didn't have even just one normal day off. I was -- I took straightaway from the flight from Montréal to Europe, from Europe to here. From all this scheduling, matches, doubles, singles, from what I done, I think I just can be proud of myself.
And it's sad that it's not the gold medal, but it doesn't matter because I think what I've done, not many girls can do it.

Q. Going back to the match, something seemed to go wrong from about 5-All. You were very close to winning at 5-All. Is that just the way it goes or did something actually go wrong? Maybe the double-fault at 6-5?
DINARA SAFINA: I guess I got a little bit tight at that moment. I had to maybe push a little bit more myself to be aggressive. But, I mean, also I was not the freshest today physically. So everything comes together also with the serve. I mean, to serve, you have to push yourself up, to jump up. And when the legs are a little bit slow, it just doesn't go.
So I don't want to even think, I know why I lost the match. I have to look forward for the next tournament.

Q. In the third set you were 4-1, and you seemed very, very tired at this moment. Is it true?
DINARA SAFINA: Well, I mean, you can see, you know, I'm spending last week how many hours on the court. I'm not a machine, you know. I'm human being.
Of course, I mean, I tried to push myself. I think I can't be sad, because I did what I could do today. So I'm really -- of course, it's sad. But from other hand, even I surprised what I've done.

Q. Since February of this year you are working with a new coach. How important are the coaches in the silver medal and in general in your career right now, because you are winning tournaments and playing finals?
DINARA SAFINA: Well, I think Zeljko, he's one of the most important person in my life. What he did to me, like how he teach me to play and to control my emotions. I mean, I had many coaches, but they could not deal with this. He just changed me. I trust him fully. I think I trust him more than myself because he even tell me the things that I can do. When I start doing them, I've never even realized that I could ever do them.
With Dejan, he just helps me to show my game, that I'm a little bit fitter on the court, that I can play my game. But, I don't know, Zeljko, I have to thank God that I met him ever in my life.

Q. I know it's not a big surprise that the Russians would do well in tennis. What does it say that you went 1-2-3 here at the Olympics?
DINARA SAFINA: Well, it just shows how strong is the woman's tennis. I mean, you can see how many girls are in the top 10. Well, it's really nice that some of the girls, they had their chances and they use them. I think it's big thing for the Russia, that in Olympics it's all ours this year, this time.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #23
country flag Dinayer
Bazinga! I dont care

Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Dinayer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 11:53 PM   #24
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

US Open Interview

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Dinara Safina.

Q. Well, you have certainly come into the US Open as arguably one of the hottest players on the WTA Tour. If you can, talk about your level of confidence at this time.

DINARA SAFINA: Well, in the last 16 matches I lose only one match.

Q. That's good.

DINARA SAFINA: Actually, I feel very good coming here. See if I can continue to play good.

Q. What about this, the environment of the US Open? I mean, describe the environment here. Every Grand Slam has a different type of feel to it. Describe what it's like to play here at Flushing Meadows and your thoughts on that, please.

DINARA SAFINA: I don't know. Actually still I'm feeling okay. Sometimes getting closer I feel a little bit like this tension, you know, like Grand Slam.

But at the moment, you have so many tournaments in a row, so I just kind of lost those feelings. So at the moment I feel pretty calm. But in general, I mean, for me, this tournament is special because of my brother. That's why for me like coming here it's really always nice to come back here.

Q. Has he given you advice in terms of playing this particular tournament?

DINARA SAFINA: Not really. I don't know. For the last few months he's actually had success and doesn't follow me places.

Q. Give us your thoughts on the draw when you saw it come out on Thursday, potentially meeting Hantuchova in the fourth round.

DINARA SAFINA: I don't know that far. Thanks for telling me.

Q. How did you feel when you saw the draw come out?

DINARA SAFINA: Actually I look first round. I never look that far, because you just need to meet one player at a time. I don't know that I'm playing American girl, qualifier. So I just want to focus on my first‑round match and take it one match at a time.

Q. Can you give us your thoughts on winning the Olympic/US Open Series?

DINARA SAFINA: It's just coming too fast. I'm not used to it. If I was used to it I would say, Okay, I can think about it.

But at the moment, I just, I mean just coming too fast, everything, so I still cannot really take a breather and to realize what's going on. So I'm coming in and dreaming situation now.

Q. You've beaten 10 top 10s this year. Just in your opinion, are you playing the best tennis of your career, and is there any opponent out there that you have any concerns about?

DINARA SAFINA: Well, I just go out there and, I don't know, I play my game, and it's working right now. I mean, of course I've been working and still I'm working to improve my shots to get better and better.

But somehow I started to go out there and started to believe I'm a player and I can compete with them. Maybe before it was missing this. And then I could not give them answers, but now I go out there and for their game I can always give them my answer, like my game.

I think that's what, it's the turning point. That's why I start to beat them.

Q. It really all started in Berlin. Do you think of yourself differently now than you did, say, in March or April?

DINARA SAFINA: Well, now, of course, like you believe much more ‑‑ I believe much more in myself and what I'm able to do. I don't know.

My coach thinks there's still like so many things we can work on and to get me even better to improve, so I'm just following him.

Q. For you, was there a breakthrough moment this year? I mean, was there a time when you felt like you really got over the hump and was able to compete at the highest level?

DINARA SAFINA: I think it was Berlin. I don't know, I just went there and I said, I just want to go out there and play my game. I said, I don't care if I win the match or lose, but I'll just do what my coach tells me and just go for the shots. Certainly it worked out, and why I was not doing this before? But I don't know. Maybe it had to come to this moment.

And now, of course, I think that was a really breakthrough because I beat really good players there.

Q. Usually before the US Open you're here in the US Open Series, but you just came from Beijing. Is that more difficult than previous years?

DINARA SAFINA: Well, maybe just for the jet lag that I was waking up four days in a row at 4:00 in the morning. That's all.

But on the other hand, I'm thinking this week actually it's good, because I came from Beijing and I have this week to practice, you know, to work on the things.

Just taking it a little bit easier, because after LA I came straight to Montreal. I had only one day off to practice. From Montreal I had to go to Beijing, and then also like in three days I had to find my best game.

At least now here I could take a little breather and now I can practice easier without rushing somewhere.

Q. You had a good rest period?

DINARA SAFINA: Yeah.

Q. Can you just talk about your Olympic experience? First Olympic medal, but how did you enjoy the whole time there, the Olympics, representing Russia?

DINARA SAFINA: At the beginning was tough, because it was ‑‑ I mean, still it's a singles tournament. It's not like Fed Cup. It was like so many people always around us.

I mean, Russia is like this person, this person, and for me, I could not find really myself. It was really too much.

But then I slowly, as I said, like I don't need any attention like from the team. I have my team. Like I have my tennis coach, and I don't need anybody else. And then slowly I found myself. But really to go to other sports, to do this, to go out, I really had no time.

I arrived on Thursday, I had Friday, Saturday, Sunday to practice. Then once the tournament started, there really was no chance to go and ‑‑ especially longer it was going, when you're starting matches at 4:00 in the afternoon, and then it's ‑‑ really no time.

Unfortunately I couldn't watch any other sports. Hopefully maybe in four years I can watch some other sports.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #25
country flag enchantrezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post

DINARA SAFINA: Actually, I feel very good coming here. See if I can continue to play good. But at the moment, you have so many tournaments in a row, so I just kind of lost those feelings. So at the moment I feel pretty calm. But in general, I mean, for me, this tournament is special because of my brother. That's why for me like coming here it's really always nice to come back here.

DINARA SAFINA: Actually I look first round. I never look that far, because you just need to meet one player at a time. I don't know that I'm playing American girl, qualifier. So I just want to focus on my first‑round match and take it one match at a time.

My coach thinks there's still like so many things we can work on and to get me even better to improve, so I'm just following him.

Wow, wow, and wow

I always loved the fact she is so close to her brother Marat

And maybe we should follow Dinara and take it just one match at a time and not predict finals results

And OMG, her coach thinks she has still so many things to improve in her game , whats scary ( for the opponents and their fans ) is that atm Dinara is already the best in the tournament !!!
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #26
country flag Dinayer
Bazinga! I dont care

Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute Dinayer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantrezz View Post
Wow, wow, and wow

I always loved the fact she is so close to her brother Marat

And maybe we should follow Dinara and take it just one match at a time and not predict finals results

And OMG, her coach thinks she has still so many things to improve in her game , whats scary ( for the opponents and their fans ) is that atm Dinara is already the best in the tournament !!!
Yes,

Go Dinara
Dinayer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #27
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post

Q. How did you feel when you saw the draw come out?

same question from the stupid reporters, and the same answer from the players. every year, every GS. it's quite boring.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #28
country flag enchantrezz

From the latest Maxim interview/article of Anna Kournikova:

" I root for my friends Dinara Safina and Svetlana Kuznetsova. I love to see them do well."

The Cocktail Party
Official Matchmaker of The Domik of Dinara Disciples

"It's a great honour to reach the No. 1 ranking and it is a dream that every girl who has ever wanted to play professional tennis shares" - Dinara

Last edited by enchantrezz : Aug 24th, 2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #29
country flag Nina.

Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute Nina. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzsump3r View Post
same question from the stupid reporters, and the same answer from the players. every year, every GS. it's quite boring.
I know, but I never really believe it. Sure, you have to concentrate on the first round first. But I cannot believe that the players are not even looking on the whole draw for once when it's released...
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #30
country flag enchantrezz

Talking about one match at a time here's another article that might catch your attention..

Forget the Jersey girl, jet lag is Safina's biggest foe
BY DAVID WALDSTEIN

Sunday, August 24, 2008

NEW YORK -- Upper Saddle River's Kristie Haerim Ahn, who qualified for the main draw on Friday, unfortunately drew the hottest women's player in world in No. 6 Dinara Safina. The Russian has made the final in her past three tournaments, winning two of them. She said she didn't know much about Ahn, the 16-year old who has been equally as hot as Safina in the USTA Pro Circuit this summer.

"I know that I'm playing an American girl, qualifier," Safina said yesterday. "So I just want to focus on my first-round match and take it one match at a time."

If Ahn has one thing going for her it could be homecourt advantage. While she will be sleeping in her own bed the next few nights, the Russian Safina has been around the world and back again in just a couple of weeks. She played back-to-back-to-back in Los Angeles, Montreal (winning those two) and Beijing, where she lost to Elena Dementieva in the gold-medal match. It's sure to take some toll.

"Just from the jet lag I was waking up four days in a row at 4 o'clock in the morning," she said. But on the other hand I'm thinking this week is actually good, because I came from Beijing and I have this week to practice and work on things.

"Taking it a bit easier because after L.A. I came straight to Montreal. From Montreal I had to go to Beijing and in three days find my best game. At least here I can practice easier without rushing somewhere."

Ahn would be happy to get a night match against Safina, because that is when the jet lag can kick in. No. 2 Jelena Jankovic, who left China two days before Safina, talked about the difficulty.

"Oh, my gosh," she declared. "By the time it's like 7 or 8 o'clock in the evening I can't keep my eyes open. I'm trying to adjust, especially since I may have to play night matches here."

Safina won the U.S. Open Series this summer, which means she will be playing for an extra $1 million should she win the tournament.

The Cocktail Party
Official Matchmaker of The Domik of Dinara Disciples

"It's a great honour to reach the No. 1 ranking and it is a dream that every girl who has ever wanted to play professional tennis shares" - Dinara